Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Potted Shrimp(s) - Stephen Stills
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 8, 2016 16:02

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby
Dont forget the great man didnt believe it was Taylor on plunder...haha...our ears can be a problem...or maybe the information we get???

Wot? Where did you get that idea from?

Somebody stated at the time it was Taylor on lead AND rhtyhm guitar, and that I found rediculous as it clearly was Taylor on lead and Richards on rhtyhm. At the time people also thought Taylor's parts where from '72, and I made the case it sounded way too modern to be vintage. And I also thought and still think it was a bad cut and paste job.

Mathijs

As I remember it we discussed whether the Taylor sound could be a 1973 sound, but concluded on his sound being to clean and modern to be vintage Taylor.

I don't know what Eleanor Rigby refers to when he says you doubted it was Taylor, as I can't recall that at all.

Haha...from a very foggy memory i believe it was questioned whether it was a taylor modern-day overdub or not..not sure, cant remember but its in a thread sonewhere here.
To be honest...who cares.

Date: January 8, 2016 16:35

Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby
Dont forget the great man didnt believe it was Taylor on plunder...haha...our ears can be a problem...or maybe the information we get???

Somebody stated at the time it was Taylor on lead AND rhtyhm guitar, and that I found rediculous as it clearly was Taylor on lead and Richards on rhtyhm. At the time people also thought Taylor's parts where from '72, and I made the case it sounded way too modern to be vintage. And I also thought and still think it was a bad cut and paste job.

Mathijs

[www.iorr.org]

Scroll half way down..

Date: January 8, 2016 16:47

Rigby has a sticky memory smoking smiley

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: January 8, 2016 16:48

Sounds like Stephen Stills to me.

Date: January 8, 2016 16:52

Nothing is certain in life but that doesn't sound classic Taylor to me. Slightly different timing, phrasing and tone, and not much of a vibrato. Not his "experienced" feel.

Date: January 8, 2016 16:55

I'm pretty sure who claimed that Taylor also played the rhythm guitar on PMS.

(And I'm not talking about the one who posted it here on IORR) smoking smiley

Date: January 8, 2016 16:59

DandelionPowderman
I'm pretty sure who claimed that Taylor also played the rhythm guitar on PMS.

(And I'm not talking about the one who posted it here on IORR) smoking smiley

I have no comment to make.grinning smiley

Date: January 8, 2016 17:08

DandelionPowderman
Rigby has a sticky memory smoking smiley

Hehe..

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 11, 2016 13:03

Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby

Mathijs

[www.iorr.org]

Scroll half way down..

Then you should read the entire thread again. We clearly discussed PMS, and my remark was about the remainder of the album.

Btwm I missed Keith's horrible lead guitar overdubs though on those first listens. Forgot which songs he did that on.

Date: January 11, 2016 13:43

Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs
Eleanor Rigby

Mathijs

[www.iorr.org]

Scroll half way down..

Then you should read the entire thread again. We clearly discussed PMS, and my remark was about the remainder of the album.

Btwm I missed Keith's horrible lead guitar overdubs though on those first listens. Forgot which songs he did that on.

So Divine and Dancing In The Light...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 11, 2016 15:47

Potted Shrimp is... it sounds like a combination of several Stones songs... done with a yawn. The beauty of recording every idea is it weeds out the ones that don't really work, like Potted Shrimp.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: November 2, 2018 14:05

Is Mick Taylor on bass? Richards on rhythm?

Date: November 2, 2018 14:24

LieB
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

As I remember it we discussed whether the Taylor sound could be a 1973 sound, but concluded on his sound being to clean and modern to be vintage Taylor.

I don't know what Eleanor Rigby refers to when he says you doubted it was Taylor, as I can't recall that at all.

My recollection is that Mathijs thought Taylor's parts on Plundered where from circa '71. But I probably remember wrong.

I still think 1973 was mentioned, but that something didn't sound right to be vintage Taylor (but it's been a while smiling smiley )

Date: November 2, 2018 14:57

Found it! It was 1972, and the GHS-sessions smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 2, 2018 15:49

DandelionPowderman

Funny thing is that I still find Keith's guitar sounding very much like his guitar on Tops, which is this fairly heavy and smooth crunch sound. But, Charlie's drums and especially his snare and crash has that distinct Exile sound, that's missed on later recordings.

Mathijs

Date: November 2, 2018 16:34

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Funny thing is that I still find Keith's guitar sounding very much like his guitar on Tops, which is this fairly heavy and smooth crunch sound. But, Charlie's drums and especially his snare and crash has that distinct Exile sound, that's missed on later recordings.

Mathijs

With a good amount of mid-range.

Totally agree about the drums.

Date: November 2, 2018 20:50

TravelinMan
Is Mick Taylor on bass? Richards on rhythm?

Any thoughts? This question is regarding Potted Shrimp btw!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 3, 2018 00:55

What ever happened to the poster "Potted Shrimp"? The account was deactivated and last active 12 years ago.

Is that person still active and morphed into...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 3, 2018 00:59

This has been the most interesting thread in ages. This is the sort of scholarship (even if later refuted) that made iorr great for me in years past.

Date: November 8, 2018 15:03

Rocky Dijon
This has been the most interesting thread in ages. This is the sort of scholarship (even if later refuted) that made iorr great for me in years past.

Because of the Stills discovery?

I think the line-up could be:

Stills: Guitar
Richards: Guitar
Hopkins: Piano
Taylor: Bass
Watts: Drums

Date: November 8, 2018 15:14

TravelinMan
Rocky Dijon

I think the line-up could be:

Stills: Guitar
Richards: Guitar
Hopkins: Piano
Taylor: Bass
Watts: Drums

[www.youtube.com]

It's definitely a guitarist on bass here. Hard to tell if it's Taylor or Keith, though. Sounds a bit too messy in places to be Taylor, but that could be because he hadn't heard the song before, and just played along.

Interesting question thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-08 15:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 8, 2018 16:57

TravelinMan
Rocky Dijon

Because it's about The Rolling Stones and their work rather than endless arguments over whether they'll actually finish the new album, whether Mick has writer's block/lost his voice/lost his way, whether Keith can't play/sing/write, whether they're going to play 50 concerts in 2019 and perform 8 songs every night from the new album that takes the entire world by storm, or why a person should leave the forum because they lean right or left in their political thinking.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 9, 2018 07:07

can't remember if this is in "Life" or not but I read that Stills was being uncool at a party & may have been shown the blade. they made up later as Stills & Neil Young went to 1 of the small shows on the Licks tour together in LA. always interesting to read about other musicians uncredited contributions.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 9, 2018 07:09

Rocky Dijon
TravelinMan
Rocky Dijon

Because it's about The Rolling Stones and their work rather than endless arguments over whether they'll actually finish the new album, whether Mick has writer's block/lost his voice/lost his way, whether Keith can't play/sing/write, whether they're going to play 50 concerts in 2019 and perform 8 songs every night from the new album that takes the entire world by storm, or why a person should leave the forum because they lean right or left in their political thinking.

let's not forget the eternal beatles vs stones argument... winking smiley

Date: November 9, 2018 14:34

Rocky Dijon
TravelinMan
Rocky Dijon

Ah, okay. I thought maybe the Stills discovery in particular. I guess I don’t venture to threads not concerning music. smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1226
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home