Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 77
Re: The Rolling Stones Fall 2016 tour
Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 31, 2016 02:36

The Joker
jumpontopofmebaby

Well hopefully the whole experience of being in the desert surrounded buy mountains and hot Califorina girls will just make it a very cool time. And I still think it could kinda be a battle of the bands in a way. That's why I selected weekend #2. Mick going to have the A game going. Especially if he feels the Stones were not the best act the weekend before.

Tortuous, but clever thinking.

At least Mick won't have to worry about 'competing' with Dylan opening for them, although his legend may be even larger than The Stones'.

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: July 31, 2016 04:56

mosthigh
The Joker
jumpontopofmebaby

Well hopefully the whole experience of being in the desert surrounded buy mountains and hot Califorina girls will just make it a very cool time. And I still think it could kinda be a battle of the bands in a way. That's why I selected weekend #2. Mick going to have the A game going. Especially if he feels the Stones were not the best act the weekend before.

Tortuous, but clever thinking.

At least Mick won't have to worry about 'competing' with Dylan opening for them, although his legend may be even larger than The Stones'.

Neil Young and Promise of the Real will be the best act both weekends,hands down.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 31, 2016 07:47

Just saw Neil Young, and he is incedibly good. 2 Hours and 45 minutes and a great concert. His voice is still very good and the new band with younger musicians brought even more energy to him .

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 31, 2016 18:22

Yeah, Neil Young is gonna be a pretty tough act to beat. Although all in all, I think its a pretty good weekend. Its like half and half: I like them all but half of the acts still do it better live. Neil Young still packs a punch, the Stones always manage to bring the house down, and Paul is still effortlessly cool somehow. Dylan, the Who, and Waters, all still very good, are definitely the second tier to me. Dylan, you kinda gotta love him or hate him live, The Who are still good but kind of exactly what you expect from a band that age, and Waters is more spectacle and show, and also basically touring Floyd on his own.

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: July 31, 2016 18:45

Good news are coming from Austria.
Obviously there are talks about a show in 2017 in Vienna.
[wegotit.at]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 31, 2016 21:14

henrik87
[wegotit.at]
Lets hope for the Ziggodome Amsterdam, once again !!smileys with beer
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-31 21:14 by corriecas.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 31, 2016 21:56

corriecas
henrik87
[wegotit.at]
Lets hope for the Ziggodome Amsterdam, once again !!smileys with beer
Jeroen

Yes. smiling smiley

Date: July 31, 2016 22:03

RollingFreak
Yeah, Neil Young is gonna be a pretty tough act to beat. Although all in all, I think its a pretty good weekend. Its like half and half: I like them all but half of the acts still do it better live. Neil Young still packs a punch, the Stones always manage to bring the house down, and Paul is still effortlessly cool somehow. Dylan, the Who, and Waters, all still very good, are definitely the second tier to me. Dylan, you kinda gotta love him or hate him live, The Who are still good but kind of exactly what you expect from a band that age, and Waters is more spectacle and show, and also basically touring Floyd on his own.

I saw him once- his 2011 I believe solo tour at the Tower Theatre and he was excellent- the late Bert Jansch opened.

Date: August 1, 2016 03:14

Dylan:his current show is unsuitable for such a large venue.It was wonderful at my 5000 seat local venue,but will not carry to 100000.His current band can do anything,and the smart move would be to drop the Sinatra crooning and deliver a 'Greatest Hits" set,heavy on the rock and roll,especially opening for the Stones.

Stones:I imagine they will play the same warhorse set they have been playing for years.I haven't seen them since 1989 Steel Wheels,and would love to see them again,but not at this venue.If Bob does the Sinatra set,the Stones blow him away.If he lets his band rock the way he did in the 90s the Stones 'might' have a little challenge.

NY+POTR: this is the band to see.This is the band to beat.THese guys are on fire.The shows these guys are delivering consistently are brain-scrubbing face-melters that no one should follow,even a Beatle.2.5+ hours of classic acoustic/electric Neil with greatest hits,rarities,and molten lava grunge jams is an evening in and of itself.

Sir Paul: Had better play a lot of Beatles music.Following Neil with POTR is a daunting task,and while Sir Paul has a very deep catalouge and what I'm sure is a cracking band,Neil just has,for lack of a better term,bigger balls.I haven't seen Paul live since 1989 and would love to again,just without an opener and in the relatively smaller confines of a Stadium.

what was The WHO:also last saw them in 1989(it was a good year)when the OX was still with us.Keith Moon was not.It was loads of fun.I'm sure Zak Starkey is as competent as Kenny Jones was and Dino Palladino is a fantastic bass player,but..
something is missing.Half the band.

Roger Waters:continuing night 3 theme of 2 people or 1 person pretending to be a beloved band.Is he going to trot out The Wall again?I guess his current presentation of it is quite the spectacle,but most of the music on that record bores me to death.Your milage may vary,but I feel like Pink Floyd music after a long weekend is a good way to put the audience to sleep.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2016 03:39

Agree with pretty much all of what you say there 72hotrocks, but fyi:

Roger Waters has been quoted as saying he will play Pink Floyd's 'greatest hits' along with some solo stuff.
His band is adequate enough to play all the Floyd stuff, and since he wrote 90% of everything after Syd Barrett left, I suppose he has the right to do so.
Throw in a mind boggling visual spectacle, and it may be the perfect way to end the weekend.

The final tune from Dark Side of the Moon - Eclipse - might be the perfect ending of it all...

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy
beg, borrow or steal
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say
All that you eat
everyone you meet
All that you slight
everyone you fight
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Date: August 1, 2016 03:50

Good to hear about Waters, Hairball.Some Wish you Were Here /Dark Side would be pretty cool.I know it's got to be a great band.
Hopefully Dylan has the sense to play a 'Festival set"

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 1, 2016 08:01

Yeah, you nailed a lot of it 72hotrocks. The Stones will blow Bob away. I don't think they'll play a Sinatra set, but even with a rocking band I don't think Bob has it to "blow people away" anymore. You kinda just take it for what it is, as he is the weakest. The Stones, or Jagger at least, still cares about giving you a good show.

The Young/McCartney night is definitely the night to see. Young is great, as has been mentioned, and McCartney is Stone-esque, just by himself. He has a great band, he puts on a great show, and yes he plays a lot of Beatles songs. No questions, he will be great and almost always leaves people in awe of his energy.

Who/Floyd is definitely the worst night. Not by much, but its just what the bands are. The Who are actually fine. I saw them a few years ago and they killed Quadrophenia. It was a really good show. But we all know its a stretch calling it The Who and that sticks out when you're playing a show with everyone else being truthfully billed. But they are still a good show for what they are. Waters is more of the same. His band is great, and when he's not doing The Wall its usually a great set. He's just getting up there in age, and he's not quite at Paul, Young, or Dylan level to have the stage all to himself at this kind of festival. He doesn't use the Floyd name (cause he legally can't) and is billed honestly, but Floyd was too much of a band to properly compete with the Stones, technically the Who, Paul, Bob and Neil. Roger is great, but sticks out at a festival like this. He should be with Gilmour and it'd be a show to see.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2016 09:15

According to many, Roger Waters was the highlight of the Coachella Festival in 2008 as the headliner.

Roger Waters Coachella

>Setlist

Granted, it's eight years later, but that's eight years later for everyone on the current bill...nobody's getting younger.
I'm sure he and his band will put on a memorable performance, and that's an understatement.

As much as I love seeing Dylan in small venues, he has the biggest question mark after his name at a festival of this size.
He's always been a bit esoteric live, but maybe a guest appearance by Mick, Keith, or Ronnie (or all three) will be help appease the masses expecting a greatest hits show.
The "Who" will put on a basic/standard show with all the warhorse crowd pleasers - McCartney and the Stones the same.
Neil Young and his band will no doubt be the absolute highlight imo.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 1, 2016 13:00

Hairball
According to many, Roger Waters was the highlight of the Coachella Festival in 2008 as the headliner.

Roger Waters Coachella

>Setlist

Granted, it's eight years later, but that's eight years later for everyone on the current bill...nobody's getting younger.
I'm sure he and his band will put on a memorable performance, and that's an understatement.

As much as I love seeing Dylan in small venues, he has the biggest question mark after his name at a festival of this size.
He's always been a bit esoteric live, but maybe a guest appearance by Mick, Keith, or Ronnie (or all three) will be help appease the masses expecting a greatest hits show.
The "Who" will put on a basic/standard show with all the warhorse crowd pleasers - McCartney and the Stones the same.

Could be fun, if he was joined on stage by David Gilmour. DG has finished his tour by September 30.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 1, 2016 14:03

72hotrocks

NY+POTR: this is the band to see.This is the band to beat.THese guys are on fire.The shows these guys are delivering consistently are brain-scrubbing face-melters that no one should follow,even a Beatle.2.5+ hours of classic acoustic/electric Neil with greatest hits,rarities,and molten lava grunge jams is an evening in and of itself.

Saw them earlier in the year and I have to agree. Absolutely superb. As is your turn of phrase: "brain-scrubbing face-melters" and "molten lava grunge jams".

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 1, 2016 18:47

> >Could be fun, if he was joined on stage by David Gilmour. DG has finished his tour by September 30. < <

No way that will happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-01 18:47 by Woz.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 1, 2016 21:43

RollingFreak
Yeah, you nailed a lot of it 72hotrocks. The Stones will blow Bob away. I don't think they'll play a Sinatra set, but even with a rocking band I don't think Bob has it to "blow people away" anymore. You kinda just take it for what it is, as he is the weakest. The Stones, or Jagger at least, still cares about giving you a good show.

The Young/McCartney night is definitely the night to see. Young is great, as has been mentioned, and McCartney is Stone-esque, just by himself. He has a great band, he puts on a great show, and yes he plays a lot of Beatles songs. No questions, he will be great and almost always leaves people in awe of his energy.

Who/Floyd is definitely the worst night. Not by much, but its just what the bands are. The Who are actually fine. I saw them a few years ago and they killed Quadrophenia. It was a really good show. But we all know its a stretch calling it The Who and that sticks out when you're playing a show with everyone else being truthfully billed. But they are still a good show for what they are. Waters is more of the same. His band is great, and when he's not doing The Wall its usually a great set. He's just getting up there in age, and he's not quite at Paul, Young, or Dylan level to have the stage all to himself at this kind of festival. He doesn't use the Floyd name (cause he legally can't) and is billed honestly, but Floyd was too much of a band to properly compete with the Stones, technically the Who, Paul, Bob and Neil. Roger is great, but sticks out at a festival like this. He should be with Gilmour and it'd be a show to see.

To some people, calling themselves 'The Rolling Stones' without Bill, Stu, Bobby, (or even Brian and MT) is a bit of a stretch.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 1, 2016 22:22

And Paul McCartney billing himself as Paul McCartney. The nerve!

***The Walrus Is Dead***

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2016 01:15

How does it feeeeeeeel to be on your own .....

[www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 2, 2016 05:13

With nooooooooooo direction home....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 2, 2016 07:57

Like a complete unknown...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2016 08:13

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 2, 2016 09:26

Wait, wait! I know this one...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 2, 2016 17:18

SomeTorontoGirl
Wait, wait! I know this one...

it's out on highway 61

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: August 2, 2016 17:40

hahaha you guys are intelligent Euro fans who actually appreciate Neil's diverse catalog and artistic vision....American fans bitch if they don't get the "hits"

Date: August 2, 2016 19:32

mnewman505
hahaha you guys are intelligent Euro fans who actually appreciate Neil's diverse catalog and artistic vision....American fans bitch if they don't get the "hits"

hits? I don't need no stinkin' hits.....
....just give me DBTR and an additional 2 1/2 hours of what ever Mr. Young wants to playcool smiley

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 2, 2016 20:46

BluzDude
mnewman505

....just give me DBTR and an additional 2 1/2 hours of what ever Mr. Young wants to playcool smiley

You'll get the hits, 25 mins of DBTR and loads of other stuff. Don't worry!

Yours,
Euro fan (apparently intelligent, who knew?)

Date: August 2, 2016 21:52

JumpinJimF
BluzDude
mnewman505

You'll get the hits, 25 mins of DBTR and loads of other stuff. Don't worry!

Yours,
Euro fan (apparently intelligent, who knew?)

Believe me, I know. I saw him last year at the very intimate Santa Barbara Bowl, 3 hours of greatnesssmiling smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 2, 2016 22:07

Dude, I hateth thou. [Grumbling with jealousy...]

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 3, 2016 03:44

Hairball

Roger Waters Coachella

>Setlist

If you have not seen Roger Waters, even if you are only a casual Floyd fan, I think you will be extremely happy with his show. I have seen both Pink Floyd and Roger Waters more than once since the early 90s, and without a doubt, Roger's show is way more of a vintage Pink Floyd show than the Waters-less Floyd shows are. Pink Floyd since 88 is basically the David Gilmour show. Roger puts on an amazing show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home