Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 34
Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show rumours
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 21, 2016 00:01

Funny thread. Anyone from Cuba here?

Bjornulf

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2016 00:27

DandelionPowderman
Make fans suffer because of a country's political system??

They played Abu Dhabi, they played Israel and they should of course play in Cuba if they want to!

And we have to remember that they actually have played in a communist country earlier... Not just in China, but even earlier... Strangely, no one thought at the time when the most notorious, decadent Western rock and roll band played behind the Iron Curtain (Poland 1967) that they were "supporting a communist country"... Well, the Soviet officials, after wittnessing the chaos the band caused, made it quite clear that those two concerts would be the first and the last ones in Eastern Block..>grinning smiley< Well, it took until "the tanks roll out and the Stones roll in..." (Prague 1990).

And those were the darkest days of Cold War... Today Cuba's system is dying off, and now having the world's biggest corporate act of music playing there would just be symbolical to the change of times, who knows if even help the change... If the guys just can collect enough of money and sponsors to get the band there...

And of course, Mick could sing "Indian Girl"...

- Doxa

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 21, 2016 00:59

Stones50
DandelionPowderman

They played Abu Dhabi, they played Israel and they should of course play in Cuba if they want to!
Israel?
+1

Date: January 21, 2016 01:29

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

And we have to remember that they actually have played in a communist country earlier... Not just in China, but even earlier... Strangely, no one thought at the time when the most notorious, decadent Western rock and roll band played behind the Iron Curtain (Poland 1967) that they were "supporting a communist country"... Well, the Soviet officials, after wittnessing the chaos the band caused, made it quite clear that those two concerts would be the first and the last ones in Eastern Block..>grinning smiley< Well, it took until "the tanks roll out and the Stones roll in..." (Prague 1990).

And those were the darkest days of Cold War... Today Cuba's system is dying off, and now having the world's biggest corporate act of music playing there would just be symbolical to the change of times, who knows if even help the change... If the guys just can collect enough of money and sponsors to get the band there...

- Doxa

And they asked to play in the Soviet Union, but they turned them down. A funny story about that in Prince Rupert's book.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 21, 2016 01:46

I hope not. Cuba is an ecological paradise due to the boycott. If it gets more tourism and development, it will be a huge loss. It's a prime habitat for migrating birds and has many unique species. The Stones playing there will just mean more interest for big hotels and other developers.

Date: January 21, 2016 08:55

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

And they asked to play in the Soviet Union, but they turned them down. A funny story about that in Prince Rupert's book.

Aah, interesting, I never heard about that. I thought it was the other way round: they (or at least Mick) wanted to perform in the Soviet Union, but the Soviet guys weren't much into it... Jagger at least said something to the effect in the mid 70's. I haven't read Rubert's book, please, could you eloborate his story?

- Doxa

Date: January 21, 2016 09:02

"They" were the Soviet government. Rupert went over, but was ridiculed by the minister of culture, who said something like "we don't consider drugs, bad morals and that kind of "music" culture here" (paraphrasing).

Date: January 21, 2016 09:07

Aah, okay, sorry, I misinterpeted your words... Now that makes sense..>grinning smiley<

Do you recall when that occurred?

- Doxa

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: January 21, 2016 09:43

I don´t get why it should be a moral issue to play Cuba.
They play to people – and most people like music regardless of their political leaders.
Why deny Cubans the joy of seeing The Rolling Stones for the first time? They played Poland and Yugoslavia during the cold war, I´m sure those who attended had a great time! Same goes for Abu Dhabi and Israel. Is it only people in the so called ”free world” that should have the privilege and freedom to see The Rolling Stones? I have never been to Cuba, but it looks like a beautiful country and I will try to get hold of a ticket (and a visa) if this concert gets announced anytime soon. It will be an historical event!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 21, 2016 11:09

Israel is part of the free world. Cuba is not. Geez.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: January 21, 2016 12:04

It is not my point who is free or not. It´s not about politics. It´s about music.

Date: January 21, 2016 12:07

The Worst.
It is not my point who is free or not. It´s not about politics. It´s about music.

+1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-21 14:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 21, 2016 13:08

I don't know anybody from Cuba, but even if there is only one fan wishing to see the Stones in there (and I'm sure there is), I keep my fingers crossed for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-21 13:09 by z.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 22, 2016 01:26

DandelionPowderman
"They" were the Soviet government. Rupert went over, but was ridiculed by the minister of culture, who said something like "we don't consider drugs, bad morals and that kind of "music" culture here" (paraphrasing).

Its ok for the Russian athletes to take drugs however?

Date: January 22, 2016 01:35

jlowe
DandelionPowderman

Its ok for the Russian athletes to take drugs however?

Indeed. However, their doping programmes started a little later, right? smiling smiley

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: January 22, 2016 02:38

March 20th, Havana, "free" to Cuban Nationals with premium tickets for non-residents, e-tickets available only on-line via sponsoring well-known Latin American (Spanish) banking group. Let's see.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 22, 2016 02:46

marianna
I hope not. Cuba is an ecological paradise due to the boycott. If it gets more tourism and development, it will be a huge loss. It's a prime habitat for migrating birds and has many unique species. The Stones playing there will just mean more interest for big hotels and other developers.
Sadly, I'm sure your prediction is correct, regardless of whether the Stones play there. One more place to be destroyed.

And if they don't play there, it will not be for political reasons, regardless of who thinks what countries are and are not part of the "free world."

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 22, 2016 07:07

To not play Cuba due to political reasons only helps keep the current political
oppression in place.

Posted by: pospi ()
Date: January 22, 2016 11:25

chriseganstar
March 20th, Havana, "free" to Cuban Nationals with premium tickets for non-residents, e-tickets available only on-line via sponsoring well-known Latin American (Spanish) banking group. Let's see.

Is it real rumour or just your guessing/wish thinking ?winking smiley

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: January 27, 2016 21:40

BV - any updates as to whether the Cuba show might happen and if we will be able to buy tickets online from the USA?

Thanks.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: January 27, 2016 22:25

Cuba is still up in the air - there hasn't been a firm no yet - but the maybe isn't strong either.

My guess is the Stones are still working on a deal for a sponsor to cover the cost and their fee for the concert.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 27, 2016 22:37

GlimmerGirl24
Cuba is still up in the air - there hasn't been a firm no yet - but the maybe isn't strong either.

My guess is the Stones are still working on a deal for a sponsor to cover the cost and their fee for the concert.

I'm going to get in touch with my inside source today and see if I can find out what's happening with this Cuba show...if there is still a possibility or if it's officially dead.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-28 04:03 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: January 28, 2016 01:21

Havana Hotels are now SOLD-OUT! Try AirBnB

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: January 28, 2016 18:52

Wow. I have 3/20 And 3/21 booked at the Hotel Inglaterra. Fingers crossed. I really want to know if this is happening!

Date: January 28, 2016 19:03

It's going to be a FREE concert for Cuban nationals and premium paid seating for 'tourists'. Hotels in Havana are already SOLD-OUT as it's also Easter time and spring break time. I got my air and hotel booked. It will happen!

Date: January 28, 2016 19:04

sarahunwin
finger's crossed. This would be a hop, skip and jump through Cancun from Mexico City! Of course I am a journalist!

Fly non-stop to Havana from Mexico City using interjet.com

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 28, 2016 19:12

DREAMTIME
It's going to be a FREE concert for Cuban nationals and premium paid seating for 'tourists'. Hotels in Havana are already SOLD-OUT as it's also Easter time and spring break time. I got my air and hotel booked. It will happen!

I really hope this happens for the people of Cuba but I do hope that the best areas in the venue to watch the show from are not just going to be for paying tourists they should also be for the people of Cuba with the free tickets.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 28, 2016 22:33

Nate
DREAMTIME

I really hope this happens for the people of Cuba but I do hope that the best areas in the venue to watch the show from are not just going to be for paying tourists they should also be for the people of Cuba with the free tickets.

Nate thumbs up

If they do this show it will be paying tourists and corporate sponsors VIPs, local politicians, etc in the front. Free spectators in the rear. Just like it was in Rio in 2006.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: January 28, 2016 23:41

DREAMTIME
See you there !! Same for me

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 28, 2016 23:47

TornAndFried
Nate
DREAMTIME

Nate thumbs up

If they do this show it will be paying tourists and corporate sponsors VIPs, local politicians, etc in the front. Free spectators in the rear. Just like it was in Rio in 2006.

That's sad there should be some good tickets for the people of Cuba that can't afford to pay high prices and as for politicians being given good seats most likely with funds from the Cuban taxpayers that is a joke.

Nate thumbs down

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home