Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 34
Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show rumours
Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: February 24, 2016 00:21

The Joker
A friend of mine, reliable, wrote me people she knows in Cuba have "tickets" for the alleged Stones show - I have not spoken with her for sometimes, so I don't want to push her for technical details, as she lives in London.

I bet is that it would be THE most expensive show on earth on the second market

Could you ask what date is on the ticket - the 20th or 21st? Which date would be helpful in determining flights. smiling smiley

Posted by: denny007 ()
Date: February 24, 2016 11:13

I have found something on the internet, mayby this can help?
www.culturalcontrast.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Rolling-Stones-in-Cuba.pdf

Posted by: Medzvel ()
Date: February 24, 2016 16:14

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 24, 2016 17:04

You simply do not fly in on the 20th and out on the 21st. It does not make any sense. Stay in Havana for a few more days if you go there. It is a great city. Originally the rumours said March 20 or 21 for a possible show date. With all the top political visit plans for March I would not be surprised if people talk and may be change a bit.

Bjornulf

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: February 24, 2016 18:29

LISTEN UP PEOPLE!!

1ST - FOR USA CITIZENS - STOP BEING BABIES!! YOU CAN FLY TO CUBA FROM TORONTO, NASSAU, GRAND CAYMAN AND MEXICO!! YOU BUY A CUBAN TOURIST VISA AT DEPARTING AIRPORT FOR $25.00. YOU CHECK 'BOX' YOU ARE GOING FOR ONE OF THE MANY ALLOWED CATEGORIES. YOU HAVE TO SAVE YOUR ITINERARY FOR 5 YEARS IF EVER ASKED. YOU WON'T BE. YES, THEY STAMP THE PASSPORT NOW, BUT AGAIN, IT'S OK! AND IF ASKED, $3.00 DAY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE UPON ARRIVAL IN HAVANA. PERIOD!!

2ND - YOU ARRIVE HAVANA BY THE 19TH OF MARCH AND DON'T DEPART UNTIL THE 23RD OF MARCH. PERIOD.

3RD - NO MORE HAVANA HOTELS. USE AIRBNB. CUBANS SPEAK THE SAME SPANISH AS IN THE USA! SO NO EXCUSES. PERIOD.

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS????????????????

Date: February 24, 2016 19:14

I'd like to fly out on the 21st before Air Force One arrives and avoid all the security issues which will probably result in delays once the plane is on the ground. Because flights out of Cancun to my home airport leave before my flight from Havana arrives or would have a very short time period to get through customs in Cancun and onto the next flight to the US (if the flight from Havana is less than a half hour late - I miss my next flight), I'm going to have to stay an extra night in Cancun. Which isn't an issue on the 21st, but is if I fly out of Cuba on the 23rd. With my luck, if I choose the 22nd, I'll probably be trying to get to the airport at the same time as the motorcade. smiling smiley

I'd like to know if the concert is the 20th or 21st before I reserve airfare.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 24, 2016 19:21

DREAMTIME
LISTEN UP PEOPLE!!

1ST - FOR USA CITIZENS - STOP BEING BABIES!! YOU CAN FLY TO CUBA FROM TORONTO, NASSAU, GRAND CAYMAN AND MEXICO!! YOU BUY A CUBAN TOURIST VISA AT DEPARTING AIRPORT FOR $25.00. YOU CHECK 'BOX' YOU ARE GOING FOR ONE OF THE MANY ALLOWED CATEGORIES. YOU HAVE TO SAVE YOUR ITINERARY FOR 5 YEARS IF EVER ASKED. YOU WON'T BE. YES, THEY STAMP THE PASSPORT NOW, BUT AGAIN, IT'S OK! AND IF ASKED, $3.00 DAY FOR HEALTH INSURANCE UPON ARRIVAL IN HAVANA. PERIOD!!

2ND - YOU ARRIVE HAVANA BY THE 19TH OF MARCH AND DON'T DEPART UNTIL THE 23RD OF MARCH. PERIOD.

3RD - NO MORE HAVANA HOTELS. USE AIRBNB. CUBANS SPEAK THE SAME SPANISH AS IN THE USA! SO NO EXCUSES. PERIOD.

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS????????????????

No.
That covers it.
DREAMTIME, you rock!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 24, 2016 19:32

GlimmerGirl24
The Joker
A friend of mine, reliable, wrote me people she knows in Cuba have "tickets" for the alleged Stones show - I have not spoken with her for sometimes, so I don't want to push her for technical details, as she lives in London.

I bet is that it would be THE most expensive show on earth on the second market

Could you ask what date is on the ticket - the 20th or 21st? Which date would be helpful in determining flights. smiling smiley

I bet you are more informed than her as for the date... The point of the post being the "ticket", whatever it is... I'm not sure it's yet something like a regular ticket with a date print on it... They have access to the show with a certain allowance of entries, that's what it means, I think.

Date: February 24, 2016 21:22

The Joker
GlimmerGirl24

I bet you are more informed than her as for the date... The point of the post being the "ticket", whatever it is... I'm not sure it's yet something like a regular ticket with a date print on it... They have access to the show with a certain allowance of entries, that's what it means, I think.

Thank you, Joker. I had a feeling it was more of an option to attend than a printed ticket - but thought I would ask anyway, just in case the date was mentioned.

I think anyone who is really interested in doing this - needs to be on the ground by the 19th to find a ticket.

Although listening to the show outside of the stadium wouldn't be the end of the world. smiling smiley

Your friend's Cuban friends wouldn't be up to a jaunt to Mariel's harbor tomorrow to check out some containers for us - would they? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-24 21:24 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: February 24, 2016 22:47

GlimmerGirl24
The Joker
GlimmerGirl24

Thank you, Joker. I had a feeling it was more of an option to attend than a printed ticket - but thought I would ask anyway, just in case the date was mentioned.

I think anyone who is really interested in doing this - needs to be on the ground by the 19th to find a ticket.

Although listening to the show outside of the stadium wouldn't be the end of the world. smiling smiley

Your friend's Cuban friends wouldn't be up to a jaunt to Mariel's harbor tomorrow to check out some containers for us - would they? smiling smiley
I'm arriving there on the 17th and if ticket sale is local only I can try to get as many as I'm allowed for IORRians. The guy who owns the Casa I'm staying in is primed if needed, too.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 25, 2016 00:26

chriseganstar
GlimmerGirl24
The Joker
GlimmerGirl24

I'm arriving there on the 17th and if ticket sale is local only I can try to get as many as I'm allowed for IORRians. The guy who owns the Casa I'm staying in is primed if needed, too.

I would love to do Cuba for this show I have been to Cuba before, but I have booked Togo to Spain on these dates. But guess what it' my 60th this year and my better half says it's my choice in what I want to do to celebrate

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: February 25, 2016 02:22

GlimmerGirl24

Moored next to the Fort St. Georges at the Kingston Wharves in Jamaica is CMA CGM's Jamaica-Cuba shuttle ship, Max Champion. The Max Champion should be departing for Mariel, Cuba (Havana's shipping port) on the 23rd, arriving on the 26th with the Rolling Stones containers.

The Max Champion's shipping schedule:

[tinyurl.com]

Can't find Max Champion any more. Last tracking more than 27 hours ago nearby Cayman Islands.

Date: February 25, 2016 04:44

MAF

Can't find Max Champion any more. Last tracking more than 27 hours ago nearby Cayman Islands.

When I was tracking the Fort St. Georges across the Atlantic - it went almost a week without an update on its location. I think we won't get another update until it docks at Mariel.

Posted by: leahoneill ()
Date: February 25, 2016 13:52

GlimmerGirl24..Everything more confusing than ever..wish we knew one way or the other..Thanks for all the updates!

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: February 25, 2016 15:50

Would love to hear Havana Moon-just saying.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 25, 2016 16:56

GlimmerGirl24... You bring this right honorable website to a unchallenged level of maritime spying - do you have a pocket submarine, by chance?

IORR is so much fun! (and quite a waste of good hours of work)

Date: February 25, 2016 17:16

The Joker
GlimmerGirl24... You bring this right honorable website to a unchallenged level of maritime spying - do you have a pocket submarine, by chance?

....with a periscope in working order of course!

Date: February 25, 2016 20:47

Robin Leach has informed us today that the Stones concert in Havana is in jeopardy because the Cuban government would rather dominate cable news at two different times than back to back. Let's not forget that last year at this time, Robin informed us that the Stones would be playing Vegas on last summer's tour.

The Cuban government has a point, but a Stones date separate from Obama's visit gets 30 hours of coverage at most - a few 30 second spots over that time period. The Stones playing the day before Obama's arrival starts the Stones coverage as soon as they arrive on the 18th (presuming cable news is already there preparing for Obama) and continues through the 20th mixed in with the upcoming Obama visit and may attract viewers who have no interest in watching Obama news. There's arguments for both positions.

[m.lasvegassun.com]

In other news, it seems we don't have continuous live tracking of the Max Champion because we didn't spring for the satellite tracking package. However, I did find this photo of the Max Champion from when it was known as the Hudson River.

Date: February 25, 2016 22:05

Manofwealthandtaste
The Joker

....with a periscope in working order of course!

I've spent some time looking into Periscoping from Cuba. Supposedly Cuba is 3G, like Argentina, 4G is only a dream. However, it appears that Cuba in practice is really 2G, they're busy (define busy by the Cuban definition) upgrading 100 towers to 3G this year. Unlike Argentina where there is 138 cell phones per 100 people, there are 15 cell phones per 100 people in Cuba (at least in 2014). It was 98 per 100 in the US. I've also read that while Cubans have smart phones, they're not necessarily paying for cell service from Cubacel, they're using them as cameras and MP3 players. A concert in Havana might be the one place on the planet where all those star bright lights pointed at the stage aren't competing for a connection to a nearby tower. In theory - one should be able to connect to Periscope and keep the connection much better than in Argentina where we were a tad frustrated.

My cell provider is not offering coverage in Cuba - Verizon and Sprint are:

[www.bloomberg.com]

"Verizon Wireless customers should be able to get online through a roaming agreement with Vodafone. But two friends who visited Cuba recently said they had trouble using it. (Verizon said it hasn’t heard of major complaints about roaming in Cuba and that the service is reliable.) The package will run you $2.99 per minute for phone calls and $2.05 per megabyte of data, enough for about a dozen Instagram photos. Sprint offers roaming in Cuba for $2.49 a minute and $1.99 per megabyte of data. T-Mobile and AT&T don't offer roaming on the island."

It appears one needs either a mifi or a Cubacel SIM card to Periscope. Cubacel was charging $1.14 per megabyte of data in 2014. You can also rent a SIM card from a few companies before arriving in Cuba. You will need an unlocked smart phone, which has nothing to do with your phone's password. The contract with your cell provider usually locks your phone to their service for typically two years, another company's SIM card will not work in your phone. You can check with your provider to see if you're eligible to unlock it and use other SIM cards while traveling.

I think I was using around 500 megabytes of data last summer to Periscope. It's going to be expensive to Periscope the concert or any of the other Stones related activities or sightings. If I decide to head for Cuba, a GoFundMe account may pop up. smiling smiley And there's no guaranteed connection to Periscope - but it looks hopeful.

Date: February 26, 2016 02:07

The Rolling Stones dream of a historic concert in Havana, and although there is no official confirmation, it appears that this action will occur between 20 and 24 March in a baseball stadium.

Sources of production of the show in Cuba, near local musicians Rolling Stones and staff members of organization that was in charge of the Argentine leg of the tour, confirmed the agenciaTélam that everything is ready for the arrival of the London band to Caribbean island.

The wishes of the Stones for performing this recital, which would be free for Cubans and foreigners pay only input would be the main reason why the group is not added new dates in any of the destinations stipulated for this tour.

Although initially spoke of March 20 as "D-Day", some rumors last minute indicate that the date could be run for 23 or 24 of this month to avoid match the historic visit of US President Barack Obama to Cuba, scheduled for 21 and 22. Apparently, this would be the main reason why the news was not yet officially announced.

[cartasdesdecuba.com]

Posted by: akissaway ()
Date: February 26, 2016 04:56

We may have to go without Periscope's instant gratification and wait to see the filmed concert with superior sound and visuals. Surely the Stones will film the historic performance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-26 06:10 by akissaway.

Posted by: montreal1 ()
Date: February 26, 2016 04:59

Cuban Media say Rolling Stones are going to Cuba [latino.foxnews.com]?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 26, 2016 05:23

Trying to guess...

The Brit's have always had a soft spot for Cuba. Remember that in the 1970s we sold them our superceded (red) London buses, and were proud of it.

So my take is that IF they can play, they WILL.

Anything that stops them will be 'force majeur' - and I'd suspect that includes the Secret Service wanting to keep president Obama safe from any real or imagined threats. ie They may veto the concert on the grounds that there would be far too many non-Cubans flocking to the island for them to be confident that all were Stones' devotees and able to be tracked/intercepted/detained.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 26, 2016 05:37

The Joker

I wish I had a drone with an X-ray machine to check all the containers on the Max Champion. smiling smiley

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: February 26, 2016 06:17

I have not spoken to anyone in weeks but at one point, this was going to be a free show. For whatever that's worth.

Date: February 26, 2016 06:47

CaptainCorella
Trying to guess...

The Brit's have always had a soft spot for Cuba. Remember that in the 1970s we sold them our superceded (red) London buses, and were proud of it.

So my take is that IF they can play, they WILL.

Anything that stops them will be 'force majeur' - and I'd suspect that includes the Secret Service wanting to keep president Obama safe from any real or imagined threats. ie They may veto the concert on the grounds that there would be far too many non-Cubans flocking to the island for them to be confident that all were Stones' devotees and able to be tracked/intercepted/detained.

Arriving on the 20th is the US Major League Baseball team - the Tampa Bay Rays, which is supposedly conducting a clinic on the 21st and playing the game on the 22nd. (Some people are hoping Obama throws out the first pitch. If the Stones are playing the baseball stadium as we've been told in the past, the 21st is probably out for the concert, with the baseball game on the 22nd. The 23rd and 24th are out too (stage set up time) unless they're playing another venue as one article suggests.

Fans of the Tampa Bay Rays are also flocking to Cuba - so that rules out that the Secret Service has put pressure on the Stones to cancel because their non-Cuban fans are security risks. The Tampa Bay Rays fans are not less of a security risk and actually may be more of a risk since they can trailer their boats down to Key West and set sail to Havana. Where as most Stones fans will arrive by plane, complying with all of the security requirements one encounters with flying and if the concert is on the 20th, most Stones fans will probably depart on the 21st.

We can speculate that Cuba over booked the baseball stadium and the Stones now need another venue. It could be the Cubans thought the stage would be out by the morning of the 21st so they could use the stadium for their plans with the Tampa Bay Rays or that stage and audience will damage the field so it won't be ready for play on the 22nd. Or that nine days is not enough time to get the stage from Bogota to Havana and set up by the 20th. With not being able to start setting the stage up until the 23rd - the Stones maybe don't want to extend the tour to the 27th or 28th and haven't found another venue.

I'm beginning to think it's a venue issue.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 26, 2016 11:28

Story from Fox Latino News

[latino.foxnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-26 11:29 by TornAndFried.

Date: February 26, 2016 11:53

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: February 26, 2016 11:55

GlimmerGirl24

My cell provider is not offering coverage in Cuba - Verizon and Sprint are:

[www.bloomberg.com]

"Verizon Wireless customers should be able to get online through a roaming agreement with Vodafone. But two friends who visited Cuba recently said they had trouble using it. (Verizon said it hasn’t heard of major complaints about roaming in Cuba and that the service is reliable.) The package will run you $2.99 per minute for phone calls and $2.05 per megabyte of data, enough for about a dozen Instagram photos. Sprint offers roaming in Cuba for $2.49 a minute and $1.99 per megabyte of data. T-Mobile and AT&T don't offer roaming on the island."

<snip!>

I think I was using around 500 megabytes of data last summer to Periscope. It's going to be expensive to Periscope the concert or any of the other Stones related activities or sightings. If I decide to head for Cuba, a GoFundMe account may pop up. smiling smiley And there's no guaranteed connection to Periscope - but it looks hopeful.

Very much apprechiating your valuable informations, GG24!! thumbs up

I for one would be ready to throw in like 10 Euros (or more) via PayPal in support of anyone connected with this board/IORR who plans to go there and tries to provide a stream for us.

What do you think? smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: February 26, 2016 12:10

The Rolling Stones will perform for the first time in Havana - clarin.com - Google translates:

The news was confirmed today the media in the Central American island. It will be the end of March on land adjacent to the "Sports City" in the Cuban capital.

Same content is covered by several other media, like cultura.elpais.com for example ...

GREAT!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home