Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 34
Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show - Confirmed For March 25
Posted by: leahoneill ()
Date: March 1, 2016 23:17

Rolling Hansie
Adams
Seems most people missed the 'open air' part of the announcement

Probably because of the excitement smiling smiley

I am certain you are correct as they keep saying open air concert..It most likely will be massive and perhaps no tickets just get there..and find a place to stand..I think, without any other information. Quite exciting..

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 1, 2016 23:19

Rolling Hansie
Adams
Seems most people missed the 'open air' part of the announcement

Probably because of the excitement smiling smiley

Or (in my case) because of the google search returns. I saw "open air" in the announcement but also know that sometimes the first announcement isn't always 100% accurate. Not being fluent in Spanish, I was a bit limited in understanding the results of the google search. I'd be willing to bet that Irix was facing many of the same obstacles I was, seeing as they shared many of the same pictures I saw.

Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: March 1, 2016 23:27

Yes, google search left me wondering about the place of the concert as the arena pops up as the first result. And nothing is set in stone either.

Concerning what we know now it is probably the open air field close to the arena...
No other speculation is necessary at the moment smiling smiley

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: March 1, 2016 23:41

The Cuban Altamont. Good luck to the people going to this. That's real dedication.

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: March 1, 2016 23:42

Ouch that was painful financially, but done & done.

Who is left standing in terms of going to Havana? I would like to meet up with fellow IORR'ians as I will be traveling solo.

Wendy

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 1, 2016 23:45

mr_dja

I'd be willing to bet that Irix was facing many of the same obstacles I was, seeing as they shared many of the same pictures I saw.

Yep - everything is so new, exciting and confusing .... previous error now corrected. smiling smiley

The official [www.rollingstones.com] announcement says: "The free concert will take place at the Ciudad Deportiva de la Habana and will be the first open air concert in the country by a British Rock Band."

Ciudad Deportiva - Satellite view: [www.lenzayas.com] .

Google Maps - Satellite view: [Goo.gl] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-01 23:55 by Irix.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: March 1, 2016 23:52

The COOLEST show EVER by anybody anywhere.
This is friggin awesome.
Way to go Rolling Stones, they pulled it off and are making it work.
Awesome.

Posted by: akissaway ()
Date: March 1, 2016 23:58

In 2009, there was a huge open air concert in Cuba, but in a different Havana location. The Concert for Peace drew hundreds of thousands of people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 00:02 by akissaway.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:09

great news.

Love the poster.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:19

You know what's funny? Actually I remembered the ramones song "Havanna Affair"

I guess it has nothing to do with all this...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:20

Google Earth

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:21

Musician Juanes played at concert in Cuba called "Paz sin fronteras" ( peace without borders )

Over one million people assisted making it the third largest concert ever.
The Stones Rio concert is the biggest yet.

Wikipedia :

La segunda edición de Paz Sin Fronteras fue un concierto realizado en La Habana, Cuba el 20 de septiembre de 2009. Reunió a un millón 150 mil personas en la Plaza de la Revolución,[1] [2] [3] [4] lo que las estadísticas sitúan como el tercer concierto más grande de la historia después del concierto de los Rolling Stones en Río de Janeiro (Brasil), que reunió el 18 de febrero de 2006 a un millón 500 mil personas, y el de Rod Stewart, también en Río de Janeiro, el cual reunió a tres millones 500 mil personas el 31 de diciembre de 1994.[5] [6] [7] [8] Fue liderado por el cantante colombiano Juanes y acompañado por reconocidos artistas cubanos, latinoamericanos y europeos.

El concierto estuvo precedido de una fuerte polémica debido a que algunas personas y organizaciones pertenecientes al exilio cubano no vieron con buenos ojos la iniciativa e incluso algunos terminaron realizando manifestaciones en contra de Juanes y del concierto. Tras su realización algunas de las instituciones disidentes como Cuba Democrática consideraron el acto como un llamado a la transición pacífica en Cuba.[9]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:22

If I'm not mistaken, it seems the RS lady fans are the adventurous intent travelers- smoking smiley so very cool and tiny tempting, not that my passport would be ready in time, and it would probably liquidate everything into vapor including me,
but I am w/ y'all in spirit and airwaves!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:30

A simple comparison of the areas to get an idea:

Ciudad Deportiva, Havana (Cuba)

Goffert Park, Nijmegen (Netherlands) 8-Jun-2007

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 00:40 by Irix.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:35

crawdaddy
On my Google translate Ciudad Deportiva de la Habana ,it says Havana Sports City, which I guess is a big Park or Stadium with a large capacity.
Anyone know.?

Ciudad Deportiva aka Sports City was a 1950's development that planned to include the arena and Olympic sized pools, tracks, baseball fields, along with venues for other sports. The arena was finished - but a lot of the plans never got off the blueprints. However, there are field tracks, baseball diamonds and other sports' fields surrounding the arena. The arena is in the top left hand corner.

Date: March 2, 2016 00:41

:-)))))

Date: March 2, 2016 00:45

Well I am in and I definitely feel the pain..but is really is a once in a life time...

Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show rumours
Date: March 2, 2016 00:48

sister
GlimmerGirl24
Here's ABC News report:

[abcnews.go.com]
Hi Debbie, I would like to sponsor your trip!concerning periscope, of course.
Please tell us everything ,
greetings from Ursel

If I book airfare, I'll do something about a Go Fund Me to pay for the Periscope costs. My research says it's possible, but whether it will work in practice, we'll have to see.

It's iffy there will be 3G (Cuba is currently upgrading towers) but on the other hand the Cubans haven't embraced cell phones, let alone smart phones - so there won't be 100k texting and uploading video through Cubacel's towers. As far as I've been able to find out, the government is not censoring sites like Skype, Facebook, etc. - the Internet is dial up connected to a broadband cable from Venezuela. The speed is too slow for anything except email. But connecting to Periscope through a cellular tower wouldn't be a 54k modem on a phone line. smiling smiley

Posted by: GPerel ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:55

Here is the link for the poster without any writing (great as a wallpaper) smiling smiley

[wwwrollingstones.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 00:57 by GPerel.

Date: March 2, 2016 00:59

leahoneill
GlimmerGirl24. I just went for it..some of the flights were 40 hours ..literally days to get there.. So flying Dublin to Paris to Havana and return..costly..but once in a lifetime. Arriving evening of the 24th and leaving on the 30th...About the tickets..I would assume that of course Cubans would get first choice, let me know what you think. I am fairly certain some folks who receive free tickets might rather sell them off... And I imagine the seating/standing will be all as one!...It should be very interesting..Thanks again..you have been very helpful..

My current understanding is that tickets will not be issued, it will be similar to Rio. Anyone can show up and find a spot. There is a possibility that tickets might be sold for a special area, but if that is the plan, no information has as of yet worked its way down the food chain. And if tickets are sold for that area - it will probably be filled with the promoters, sponsors and financiers who paid for the concert - so very boring, just people congratulating themselves and making connections for future deals.

The good news is - you have your flights and you're on the right side of the sidewalk for the concert. smiling smiley

I have to figure out my dates and traveling companions. smiling smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 2, 2016 01:04

Just booked my flight!

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: March 2, 2016 01:05

GlimmerGirl24
sister
GlimmerGirl24
Here's ABC News report:

[abcnews.go.com]
Hi Debbie, I would like to sponsor your trip!concerning periscope, of course.
Please tell us everything ,
greetings from Ursel

If I book airfare, I'll do something about a Go Fund Me to pay for the Periscope costs. My research says it's possible, but whether it will work in practice, we'll have to see.

It's iffy there will be 3G (Cuba is currently upgrading towers) but on the other hand the Cubans haven't embraced cell phones, let alone smart phones - so there won't be 100k texting and uploading video through Cubacel's towers. As far as I've been able to find out, the government is not censoring sites like Skype, Facebook, etc. - the Internet is dial up connected to a broadband cable from Venezuela. The speed is too slow for anything except email. But connecting to Periscope through a cellular tower wouldn't be a 54k modem on a phone line. smiling smiley

Thank you GlimmerGirl24 for all the research you have done on the technology available in Cuba! (Also all that shipping info - that was fun to follow)

song vote for Cuba
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 1, 2016 22:43

- Undercover of the Night

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-01 22:44 by slewan.

Re: song vote for Cuba
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 1, 2016 22:46

My choice: Undercover of the Night (song 4)

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 1, 2016 22:59

Indian girl

Date: March 1, 2016 23:15

Indian girl

thumbs up

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:08

Guantanamera. One of the best known Cuban songs and one they'd win the crowd over with if they played it. Almost like the national song of Cuba. Having members of the Buena Vista Social Club open for them would be cool.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:16

Gomper.

Date: March 2, 2016 00:34

schwonek
Gomper.

Yes, that would be nice or @#$%& Blues with new lyrics ...... Cigarsucker Blues.

Setlist for CUBA :

1. JUMPING JACK FLASH
2. IT'S ONLY ROCK N ROLL
3. TUMBLING DICE
4. UNDERCOVER OF THE NIGHT
5. INDIAN GIRL
6. GOMPER
7. CIGARSUCKER BLUES
8. PAINT IT BLACK
9. HONKY TONK WOMEN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 14:47 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 2, 2016 00:37

slewan

Was it about Cuba ? Really ? I'm hopimg to visit adap before it is ruinedyby the oncoming Ameticanisation / Capitalism.

sc uk

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home