Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 34
Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show rumours
Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: February 21, 2016 19:47

If I remember from when I was checking routes - a lot of the Toronto flights go through Mexico City. You might want to use Cancun as your gateway city - there should be direct flights between Cancun and both Chicago and Milwaukee.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: February 21, 2016 21:44

GlimmerGirl24
If I remember from when I was checking routes - a lot of the Toronto flights go through Mexico City. You might want to use Cancun as your gateway city - there should be direct flights between Cancun and both Chicago and Milwaukee.

Thanks again for flight details . l can fly direct from Manchester U.K. to Cancun , and catch flight to Havana ,wil then catch the flight from Cancun back to Milwaukee , hopefully in time for The Who concert ...

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: February 21, 2016 22:24

welshphil
I was at the Milwaukee show too, had a great time at Summerfest. If the Havana show goes ahead I'll be flying from the UK spending a few days in Milwaukee. Any idea when scheduled flights to Cuba begin ?

I didn't stay in Milwaukee for very long, it looked like Summerfest would have been fun! I was on the train back to Chicago the next day. LOVED Chicago, I met Buddy Guy at his club the night before the Milwaukee show - very surreal to chat with him in person then see him on stage the next day.

I am glad GlimmerGirl24 provided you with some flight info.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: February 21, 2016 22:52

LovingCupola
welshphil
I was at the Milwaukee show too, had a great time at Summerfest. If the Havana show goes ahead I'll be flying from the UK spending a few days in Milwaukee. Any idea when scheduled flights to Cuba begin ?

I didn't stay in Milwaukee for very long, it looked like Summerfest would have been fun! I was on the train back to Chicago the next day. LOVED Chicago, I met Buddy Guy at his club the night before the Milwaukee show - very surreal to chat with him in person then see him on stage the next day.

I am glad GlimmerGirl24 provided you with some flight info.

Summerfest is the best music festival ever !!! I've been to 7 since 1988 and that's flying from the U .K. Have been to the old Buddy Guys Legends many times and the new one, once . Totally jealous that you met him ... And like you posted really glad for flight info from GlimmerGirl24 , was a big help ....Really hope the concert goes ahead now....

Date: February 22, 2016 00:16

Another gateway to Cuba is Grand Cayman - I think both Cubanair and Cayman Airlines have flights to Havana. There's Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Haiti and the Bahamas too. When I was searching - the Caymans had the cheapest roundtrip fares among the Caribbean islands. But I'm not sure if I ever got any fares for the Bahamas - I think I kept getting kicked to an US travel agency specializing in Cuba tours. Someone outside of the US might do better.

A few years ago there was an overnight ferry between Cancun and Havana - it included a cabin for $90 one way. Too bad it's no longer operating.

Posted by: leahoneill ()
Date: February 22, 2016 11:22

Hey Glimmer Girl. Any idea of a Cuba announcement date one way or the other! Thanks, as always, Leah O'Neill

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: February 22, 2016 19:43

I'll be in Cuba with my wife and a friend. Leaving from Mexico City the day after the 2nd show.

For people from the US wanting to fly from Mexico to Cuba and back between their Mexico flights will have no problem booking through cubatravelnetwork.com
They have an office in Mexico, so you won't have problems paying. They are not as automated as airlines you are used to travel with, so your confirmation will come a day or 2 after you book. Have booked with them the first time I traveled to Cuba, have booked through them again.

Cuba is amazing, fingers crossed the show will go ahead and that will put this trip in the 'over the top' category. If not it will be fantastic anyways. Trinidad was suggested above, I can only 2nd that. Amazing place!

Rock n Roll!

Posted by: montreal1 ()
Date: February 22, 2016 21:03

I don't know If it's related to Havana, Cuba concert, but Australian tv show just started a promo this morning: "a once-in-a-lifetime Rolling Stones experience just for our viewers! Stay tuned for more." #9Today

Date: February 22, 2016 21:21

montreal1
I don't know If it's related to Havana, Cuba concert, but Australian tv show just started a promo this morning: "a once-in-a-lifetime Rolling Stones experience just for our viewers! Stay tuned for more." #9Today

I think there's a chance that might be related to Cuba.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: February 22, 2016 21:33

GlimmerGirl24

Moored next to the Fort St. Georges at the Kingston Wharves in Jamaica is CMA CGM's Jamaica-Cuba shuttle ship, Max Champion. The Max Champion should be departing for Mariel, Cuba (Havana's shipping port) on the 23rd, arriving on the 26th with the Rolling Stones containers.

The Max Champion's shipping schedule:

[tinyurl.com]

Max Champion is on it's way to Mariel/Cuba

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 22, 2016 21:38

GlimmerGirl24
montreal1

I think there's a chance that might be related to Cuba.

Maybe it's just a trip to the Exhibition in London, ( but what about that Arena concert ?? winking smiley )
[www.9jumpin.com.au]

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: February 22, 2016 21:47

It's probably any chosen arena show. West End show is also mentioned there

Date: February 22, 2016 21:55

Adams

The terms & conditions says "a gig " at London's biggest

Between April 2 & 8

( O2 is London's biggest.. )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-22 21:59 by Lien.

Date: February 22, 2016 22:36

We have equipment arriving in Cuba in a couple of days on the Max Champion, most likely stuff to beef up the electrical system for the requirements of a Stones concert and some hard to find things in Cuba like fork lifts, cranes, paper clips, Solo cups.

We know in September that the Stones were negotiating a contract for a concert in Cuba.

We know Jagger pops up in Cuba the first week of October. That same week, a guy named Bill Bakula of Bart Enterprises is in Havana and signs a contract with the Institute of Cuban Music to bring major and minor acts to Cuba for concerts which will include local Cuban acts in the concert events. A cultural exchange contract for a Stones concert!

You're all wondering who Bakula is. My research indicates he probably came into the Stones sphere in the late 1980's - probably hanging out with Ronnie at Woody's on the Beach in Miami. At the time, he owned a concert promotion company and locally promoted a Stones concert - either Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge. He went on to make a fortune from infomercials (remember the Topsy Turvy?) and Latin American prepaid phone cards. By the mid-90's he was in the Clinton camp as head of the finance committee for the Democratic National Party - honored at Clinton's 50th birthday party at Radio City Hall.

Steve Bing is also chummy with Clinton - he gave upwards of $25 million to the Clinton Foundation and most likely was a major contributor to the DNC when Bakula was heading the finance committee. In Vegas over Thanksgiving, 2002 - Bing and a few friends (maybe Bakula) talked Jagger into giving a free concert at the Staples Center in February, 2003 which promoted Bing's favorite cause, the environment.  Bing paid the Stones' fee, picked up the cost of the concert, had Clinton introduce the Stones and put Stones fans on the NRDC email list. A few years later he produced and financed Scorsese's Shine A Light. A few years ago he financed a trip to Cuba for himself, James Caan, Bill Murray and Robert Duvall to do research. Currently, Hollywood is tripping all over it self to get into Havana and start filming while Bing's company Shangri-la Entertainment is looking for investors for Magic City, a film that is to star Murray and be based on the Cuban mafia.

The ink has been dry on the contract since October. If sponsor money has dropped out, Bing has the cash to make the concert happen and has the incentive to fly a plane full of potential movie investors to Havana for a Rolling Stones concert. Unless of course Bing and Jagger had a falling out. If they haven't - why hasn't an announcement been made?

The only thing I can think of is the not so great publicity when fans outside of Cuba discover they can't buy, beg or steal a ticket outside of Cuba. With the US embargo it makes it messy selling or giving tickets to US citizens. It might make sense to announce the concert a week before - cutting out expectation that tickets will be available via the Internet.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: February 22, 2016 22:39

Lien
Adams

Between April 2 & 8

It seems it could be Adele unfortunately...
[www.theo2.co.uk]

Date: February 22, 2016 22:52

Adams
Lien
Adams

Between April 2 & 8

It seems it could be Adele unfortunately...
[www.theo2.co.uk]

Hm..but you can win 2 tix à aus$1600,- ?

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: February 22, 2016 23:00

GlimmerGirl24
.... It might make sense to announce the concert a week before - cutting out expectation that tickets will be available via the Internet.

That is a good idea. The show is for the people of Cuba and they can all get there, if they have to walk, in a week, but the other people off island, tough luck.

Date: February 22, 2016 23:11

Actually, a free Stones concert is for the people financing it and I suspect Steve Bing is one of the sponsors. He appears to have incentive to spend several million on this concert because he has a film to finance and a movie he most likely wants to film at least partially in Cuba. The Cuban people get to fill the seats while the sponsors work to complete whatever deals were behind their motivation for financing the concert.

Posted by: Night Manager ()
Date: February 23, 2016 01:41

...if I get it right from CMA CGM`s website, the Max Champion cuban feeder left Kingston Sun 21, arriving Havanna port Thu 25. Whatever there`s on board, you can`t take a look at what`s in the containers.
(Champion Max, by the way, isn`t that a state-of-the-art american toilet? I still hope for the Havanna show, but we might have to flush it...) And that Steve Bing thing does not give me a good feeling either.
...One reason for the so-far non-announcement might be, though, that the later it gets confirmed, the less friction and chaos there will be between stones and obama security issues. Just a guess.
I`ll be in Havanna anyway, three and a half weeks, in the old town. I`m sure it`ll be great. Maybe even see some of you guys, let`s not be sad if it bombs. It still might happen

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: February 23, 2016 16:40

Anyone remember how they announced the free Copacabana beach concert at the end of ABB? Maybe Cuba is a secret with a free concert surprise announcement coming close to show day. Just guessing. I won't be able to attend but like the idea of what would be a historic concert. It's always a good day, just seems right, when the Stones are playing, even if I'm not there.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 23, 2016 18:40

2120Joe

Anyone remember how they announced the free Copacabana beach concert at the end of ABB?

It was a press release on 13-Dec-2005 by News-agency Reuters: [www.billboard.com] , [www.iorr.org] , [www.iorr.org] .

There were already rumours of it since 22-Apr-2005: [www.iorr.org] .

Btw: the ABB-Tour ended on 26-Aug-2007 (The O2, London, UK) [www.iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 18:45 by Irix.

Posted by: montreal1 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 18:52

We are less than 1 month before the rumoured gig in Havana. Except some die hard fans like me and you, I don't think a lot of people will fly over there for the show.They can announce the show a week before and I will be there !

Posted by: Okodub ()
Date: February 23, 2016 19:28

I was talking with a friend of mine in Cuba and told me that is anouncment a big show on the 20 or 21. I'm from argentina and dont know what to do with the flys¡

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 23, 2016 20:57

The first US presidential trip to Cuba in nearly 90 years is now official. Obama will meet with Cuban President Raul Castro, entrepreneurs, and "Cubans from different walks of life" during the trip on March 21 and 22, the White House said. Now call me jaded, but I do not see Obama heading to the concert, and I am not sure how stretched the security infrastructure of Havana would be to protect both a US President and Rock Royalty. Assuming both visits would draw crowds from outside Havana into the city increasing risks, I find it hard to believe the events going down on the same days. Given that one is official, and the other still rumoured, I am betting that if this concert happens, it will have top be different dates.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: February 23, 2016 21:06

The show will be on Sunday March 20 (less people work on Sunday) Cubans will go home after show to different parts of the country. The President will arrive Monday morning on the 21st and will sleep on Air Force One. There will also be a 'treaty' signing between Colombia and FARC, giving them a 'seat at the table'.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 23, 2016 21:08

Agree with you there.

Can't see The Stones playing those dates now.

Still hoping it's going to be on though at some time.

Date: February 23, 2016 21:48

Hope you are right...will be flying in from Ireland and expect to be there if the Stones are there..Just would love to know...

Date: February 23, 2016 21:51

Okay..so free concert for Cubans..But question is whether others will be able to purchase tickets. If can't be up front and personal no point in going...suggestions? or thoughts on the subject of ticket sales for non-Cubans?????

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: February 23, 2016 22:06

Slander in the first sentence aside, here's an editorial from Bloomberg:

[www.bloombergview.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 22:11 by LovingCupola.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 23, 2016 22:40

A friend of mine, reliable, wrote me people she knows in Cuba have "tickets" for the alleged Stones show - I have not spoken with her for sometimes, so I don't want to push her for technical details, as she lives in London.

I bet is that it would be THE most expensive show on earth on the second market

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home