Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 34
Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show rumours
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 17, 2016 08:49

GlimmerGirl24
Rachel Weingeist hasn't removed the Stones from her tour's itinerary and is still promoting it as a Stones trip. She has moved the deadline for non-refundable deposits from the February 15th to the 20th.

[www.rachelweingeist.com]

Why would anybody sign up for a very expensive trip and pay a non-refundable deposit hoping to go to Cuba for a show that has not (and most likely, will not) happen? Rachel Weingeist should just forget about it at this point and cancel her trip.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 15:02

doesn't look good but I still holding out hope.

I can only imagine the red tape for putting on something like this.

I agree w/ GlimmerGirl24 that in essence, this seems like something the Stones are interested in doing (Bernard's palying there & Mick's trip). Hopefully it is sooner than later.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 16:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 23:12 by everwest1.

Posted by: montreal1 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 16:21

Does BV always said the Havana show will happen ? Does The Stones want to surprise the Cubans with a free show at the end of the tour ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 16:21 by montreal1.

Date: February 17, 2016 17:08

I am reading BV post and I don't see RUMOURED...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 31, 2016 01:14

Yes they say Cuba is on. It will be a great way to end the tour of Latin America.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 17:09 by montreal1.

Date: February 17, 2016 21:52

montreal1
I am reading BV post and I don't see RUMOURED...

Date: January 31, 2016 01:14

Yes they say Cuba is on. It will be a great way to end the tour of Latin America.

Bjornulf

That post from Bjørnulf is from January 31. A lot has changed in the past 2 weeks and my reliable source says the Cuba show will most likely NOT happen at this point. Let's see if we can get BV to give us an update.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 22:56

The Powers that Be in the Stones Machine have yet to rule. Which have left sources with a glass against the Machine's Cone of Silence giving what appears to be two contradictory opinions. Some have opted for its probably not going to happen and some going with it might happen.

It's the glass half empty, half full syndrome. If you interpret the delay in a decision as hurdles that probably can't be jumped over - the glass is half empty. If you interpret the hurdles as they're working hard to jump over them - it's half full.

If you've been delaying making plans to attend an Olè show because Havana is your first choice, it might be time to consider a second choice. If it's Cuba or bust, then hang on, don't make alternative plans for the weekend of March 18th - we might get lucky.

Posted by: leahoneill ()
Date: February 17, 2016 22:58

Hey Glimmer Girl...let's go with half full...good tickets for other SA already taken...:-))

Date: February 17, 2016 23:06

GlimmerGirl24
The Powers that Be in the Stones Machine have yet to rule. Which have left sources with a glass against the Machine's Cone of Silence giving what appears to be two contradictory opinions. Some have opted for its probably not going to happen and some going with it might happen.

It's the glass half empty, half full syndrome. If you interpret the delay in a decision as hurdles that probably can't be jumped over - the glass is half empty. If you interpret the hurdles as they're working hard to jump over them - it's half full.

If you've been delaying making plans to attend an Olè show because Havana is your first choice, it might be time to consider a second choice. If it's Cuba or bust, then hang on, don't make alternative plans for the weekend of March 18th - we might get lucky.

I'm not interpreting or speculating. My information came directly from a long-time member of the Rolling Stones entourage. Probably the same person that Bjørnulf gets a lot of his inside info from. When asked about the Cuba show a few days ago in Buenos Aires their reply was basically "it's not officially off, but it's not looking very good at this point." Perhaps BV can provide an update. I'll see if I can get in touch with him in Montevideo tomorrow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 23:07 by TornAndFried.

Date: February 17, 2016 23:26

Out of curiosity, I emailed Rachel inquiring about the pricing - planning to respond to her response with questions that would hopefully give me some idea of how close her source is to the Cone of Silence. (i.e. - are her tickets coming from AEG, the band, a Cuban source, etc.). She responded with saying she would be pleased to discuss the trip and pricing with me - but omitted pricing.

She ended her email with:

"We specialize in putting folks on the ground with as little as 1 week notice (depending on hotel and flight availability) and certainly pride ourselves on building memorable itineraries based on your individual interests."

Which I interpret as 'I don't have Stones tickets yet and if I can't deliver a Stones concert, I'll substitute something really fun.'

The question is, is her ticket source AEG who is encouraging enough that the concert will happen that she keeps extending her cut off date or is it another entity with no real pipeline to the Cone of Silence and she has her fingers crossed that she doesn't end up with people demanding their deposits back.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 17, 2016 23:38

GlimmerGirl24
She responded with saying she would be pleased to discuss the trip and pricing with me - but omitted pricing.

Shall we take bets on how much she charges? I say you won't get much change from $5,000, based on this vaguely similar "curated" trip.

[discovercorps.com]

Date: February 18, 2016 00:21

TornAndFried
GlimmerGirl24

I'm not interpreting or speculating. My information came directly from a long-time member of the Rolling Stones entourage. Probably the same person that Bjørnulf gets a lot of his inside info from. When asked about the Cuba show a few days ago in Buenos Aires their reply was basically "it's not officially off, but it's not looking very good at this point." Perhaps BV can provide an update. I'll see if I can get in touch with him in Montevideo tomorrow.

I never said you are speculating. The statement "it's not officially off, but it's not looking very good at this point" is speculation. My source has said there has been nothing from the Cone of Silence that says the concert is off or on, but sources (who will not be making the decision) are divided on the likelihood of it happening. Your source is speculating with no, Dreamtime's appears to be more positive and mine says there's too many conflicting opinions to speculate yea or nay.

We can debate over which source has been employed longer by the Machine, which has the better position to accurately predict, which has a better crystal ball, which is better at interpreting the crystal ball, whether they're half empty or half full glass personalities, etc. We will eventually come back to the same spot, the people who are making this decision have yet to give a definitive answer and until they do, our sources are giving predictions based on how they interpret the information they have.

All the source information shared here is valuable, but it's up to the people considering Cuba how much weight to give any of it.

Based on what I'm reading here and hearing elsewhere - I'm not making non-refundable commitments but am keeping my fingers crossed that I'm at a Stones concert in Havana on March 20th.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 00:24 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: February 18, 2016 00:32

Well said !

Satisfied since 1976

Date: February 18, 2016 00:34

GlimmerGirl24
TornAndFried
GlimmerGirl24

I never said you are speculating. The statement "it's not officially off, but it's not looking very good at this point" is speculation. My source has said there has been nothing from the Cone of Silence that says the concert is off or on, but sources (who will not be making the decision) are divided on the likelihood of it happening. Your source is speculating with no, Dreamtime's appears to be more positive and mine says there's too many conflicting opinions to speculate yea or nay.

We can debate over which source has been employed longer by the Machine, which has the better position to accurately predict, which has a better crystal ball, which is better at interpreting the crystal ball, whether they're half empty or half full glass personalities, etc. We will eventually come back to the same spot, the people who are making this decision have yet to give a definitive answer and until they do, our sources are giving predictions based on how they interpret the information they have.

All the source information shared here is valuable, but it's up to the people considering Cuba how much weight to give any of it.

Based on what I'm reading here and hearing elsewhere - I'm not making non-refundable commitments but am keeping my fingers crossed that I'm at a Stones concert in Havana on March 20th.

No worries, GlimmerGirl24. Not trying to get into an argument with anyone. Just pointing out that my info was not just my opinion, but from someone who is next to the band. As I said before,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 21:30 by TornAndFried.

Date: February 18, 2016 00:36

GlimmerGirl24
TornAndFried
GlimmerGirl24

No worries GlimmerGirl. I'm not trying to get into an arguement with anyone. I was just pointing out that the info I posted is not just my opinion but coming from someone close to the band. As I said before, let's see if we can get BV to weigh in on this.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 02:39 by TornAndFried.

Date: February 18, 2016 00:45

DeanGoodman
GlimmerGirl24
She responded with saying she would be pleased to discuss the trip and pricing with me - but omitted pricing.

Shall we take bets on how much she charges? I say you won't get much change from $5,000, based on this vaguely similar "curated" trip.

[discovercorps.com]

Rachel is organizing the trip through People To People Travel which charges $3,000-3,500 for their four night tours that don't include Stones tickets. Add in that Rachel's tour is partially tax deductible - I'm thinking if there's any change left from $5k - it'll pay for a few mojitos not provided by the tour. And don't forget to add on travel to Miami.

[insightcuba.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 00:53 by GlimmerGirl24.

Date: February 18, 2016 02:02

TornAndFried

No worries GlimmerGirl. I'm not trying to get into an arguement with anyone. I was just pointing out that my info is not just my opinion but coming from someone close next to the band. As I said before, let's see if we can get BV to weigh in on this.

I don't doubt the reliability of your source or anyone else's. In my own little awkward way - I was trying to support your information along with the other source information that has been slightly more positive. My interpretation of my source has been if we're trying to predict whether Cuba is happening by the information out there at the moment - we're going to need someone really good at reading tea leaves. Going on what hasn't happened (a yea or nay announcement) - it appears some snags have appeared that has put the concert in serious doubt but the Machine isn't ready to give up on Cuba yet.

If anyone is going to make plans for Cuba, opt out of Cuba or switch to another city - they should be factoring the variables that are pertinent to them individually along with weighing the sources' predictions. Go with the option that will result in the least regrets. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 02:05 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: February 18, 2016 02:13

I decided months ago that I would take a punt on Cuba, goty accommodation and flights sorted, all in the knowledge that the Stones gig may not happen. I've wanted to see Cuba for many years, and before it turns into Cancun, so that's why I'm going. If the gig happens, it will be truly wonderful, but if it doesn't, there are plenty of great things to go, see and listen to in Havana. Peace to all.
Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 15:58

I see Obama is now scheduled to make the trip to Cuba in March. I don't see a date but perhaps that is the reason, if that was the same weekend.

Date: February 18, 2016 16:18

Obama 'to make historic Cuba visit'

[www.bbc.com]

President Obama is to visit Cuba in the coming weeks as part of a broader trip to Latin America, reports say.

He will be only the second sitting US president in history to travel to the island, after Calvin Coolidge in 1928.

Bjornulf

Date: February 18, 2016 16:20

Obama will be there 21-22 march. BV, Does Rolling Stones will also make historic Cuba visit at that time ? -winking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 18, 2016 16:36

Maybe Obama wants to introduce The Stones. That would be wild.

Date: February 18, 2016 16:36

chrism13
I see Obama is now scheduled to make the trip to Cuba in March. I don't see a date but perhaps that is the reason, if that was the same weekend.

I was wondering the same thing.

Egon on Rocks Off is reporting that the Fort St. Georges, a ship owned by CMA CGM, left Rotterdam on February 7th loaded with containers shipped by the Stones. The ship is currently crossing the Atlantic and is scheduled to arrive in Kingston, Jamaica on February 20th, the containers in Cuba on the 23rd. Anyone in Jamaica want to tape a gps tracker to one of the containers so we can determine if they reach Havana and stay there? smiling smiley

The information only tells us that the Stones were committed enough to send equipment to Cuba two weeks ago. But at least we know negotiations won't come to a halt because it's too late to ship.

You can track the Fort St. Georges at marinetracker.com or vesselfinder.com.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 01:58 by GlimmerGirl24.

Date: February 18, 2016 16:48

I would be surprised if Obama announce exact time and date of a visit to any place with security issues. Remember Dallas. And so on.

I remember staying at the Hyatt in Santiago de Chile 2-3 weeks ago, guess why. In the morning of Sunday Jan 31, the hotel sealed off, lost of police, army, red carpet, ambulance outside, 30 security people in the lobby, and I was hanging around, probably the only non-security person in the lobby then. Sort of reading my tourist map with an eye for the entrance. Then police escorte big time, and in walks a group of people. It is not the Stones, but a Turkish delegation of some 50+ people including president Edogan. I was pretty close to the president, he could have waved at me like 5-6 meters. They do not announce such things. They just happen.

By the way, my "friend" Bill Clinton shaked hands with me in NYC on Sunday October 29, 2006. It is all about being at the right place at the right time. Timing. But that is another story, another time for that. Also, I went to church with Bill Clinton and Chelseas in the Kölner dome, don't remember if Hillary was there, I am sure some remember that story. Again, later... And it is true, I am not joking here, seriously, I never do. Like if I said I was a waiter at the royal castle in Norway for Kong Olav and the parlament members during the fall of 1973, of coure it is true. I was. A third story that is. Bot now I am seriously off topic...

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 17:05 by bv.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: February 18, 2016 17:32

Official : Michelle and Barack OBAMA will visit Cuba on march 21 and 22.

"Next month, I'll travel to Cuba to advance our progress and efforts that can improve the lives of the Cuban people."

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: February 18, 2016 21:23

Like chriseganstar and Night Manager I have all my flights and accommodation booked and Cuba was always on my list of places to see. I've found some really great links on this thread for what to expect & what to do and see while in Havana.

Checking in every day on this thread is so much fun - it's like a roller coaster! One day I am up, one day I am down.

The journey not the arrival matters. | T.S. Eliot

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 18, 2016 21:51

bv

By the way, my "friend" Bill Clinton shaked hands with me in NYC on Sunday October 29, 2006. It is all about being at the right place at the right time. Timing. But that is another story, another time for that. Also, I went to church with Bill Clinton and Chelseas in the Kölner dome, don't remember if Hillary was there, I am sure some remember that story. Again, later... And it is true, I am not joking here, seriously, I never do. Like if I said I was a waiter at the royal castle in Norway for Kong Olav and the parlament members during the fall of 1973, of coure it is true. I was. A third story that is. Bot now I am seriously off topic...

Shaking hands with Bill Clinton was OK, as long as he didn't give you a cigar.

Date: February 18, 2016 21:51

GlimmerGirl24
chrism13

I was wondering the same thing.

Econ on Rocks Off is reporting that the Fort St. Georges, a ship owned by CMA CGM, left Rotterdam on February 7th loaded with containers shipped by the Stones. The ship is currently crossing the Atlantic and is scheduled to arrive in Kingston, Jamaica on February 20th, the containers in Cuba on the 23rd. Anyone in Jamaica want to tape a gps tracker to one of the containers so we can determine if they reach Havana and stay there.

I'm not disputing this info but I can't understand what equipment they would need to ship to Cuba if they do play there. You would assume they would have everything they need already. Perhaps it's additional sound, lighting or video equipment, or staging material from StageCo in Belgium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 21:53 by TornAndFried.

Date: February 19, 2016 00:44

There might be equipment that is rented in each city instead of moved from city to city that isn't available in Cuba - generators could fall into that category.

If I remember, last summer we determined that for part of the stage there were duplicates moving around the country because it needed more set up time than was possible between each date. It could be there's not enough time to get that staging from South America to Cuba via a ship and flying it isn't practical.

Just speculation on my part - but Cuba is the one date on this leg that can't be reached by road, doesn't have an infrastructure that can accommodate 21st century technology and materials/equipment that is readily available in most countries isn't necessarily found in abundance. It's probable a concert there requires additional shipping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 01:57 by GlimmerGirl24.

Date: February 19, 2016 00:48

For those who are worried about logistics into Cuba: The Rolling Stones fly in all their important struff. That is what they did in Asia and Australia and New Zealand. It is hard to drive a truck from Singpore to Perth or from Brisbane to Auckland or from Tokyo to Macao or from Europe during the tour in the summer and on to SarsStock Toronto and back to Europe two days later, or from Washington 2013 to Glastonbury in five days. I would not worry to much about that. They will get what they need if needed. And the show is on until it is off. I am still listing it here:

[www.iorr.org]

PS. It is not like there is one "source" of information. I talk to many peope, a lot, have done so for decades.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home