Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 34
Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show - Confirmed For March 25
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 4, 2016 20:11

Please use this thread to discuss details regarding the Rolling Stones Olé Tour 2016 and the rumoured final show number 14 of the tour in Havana Cuba.

Just in as of March 1:

The Rolling Stones announce free concert in Cuba!

[www.rollingstones.com]

March 1, 2016 – The Rolling Stones will perform a groundbreaking concert in Havana, Cuba on Friday March 25, 2016. The free concert will take place at the Ciudad Deportiva de la Habana and will be the first open air concert in the country by a British Rock Band. Always exploring new horizons and true pioneers of rock, the Stones, who have toured every corner of the globe, will bring their high octane performance and incredible music catalogue to the Caribbean for the first time ever.

This once-in-a-lifetime concert event follows the band’s America Latina Ole tour, which is currently receiving rave reviews, playing to huge audiences in stadiums in Santiago, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Rio De Janeiro, São Paulo and Porto Alegre with Lima, Bogotá and Mexico City following next week. The band are also leading a musician to musician initiative in which much needed musical instruments and equipment are being donated by major suppliers for the benefit of Cuban musicians of all genres. Donors include The Gibson Foundation, Vic Firth, RS Berkeley, Pearl, Zildjian, Gretsch, Latin Percussion, Roland and BOSS with additional assistance from the Latin GRAMMY Cultural Foundation.

The Rolling Stones said: “We have performed in many special places during our long career but this show in Havana is going to be a landmark event for us, and, we hope, for all our friends in Cuba too.”

This historical concert will no doubt have Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood mesmerizing a new audience of fans with a set packed full of classic Stones hits as well as special gems from their million selling albums.

The Rolling Stones concert, which has been in the planning stages for several months comes only days after President Barack Obama’s recently announced visit to Cuba.

This entire event is being made possible by the benefaction of Fundashon Bon Intenshon on behalf of the island of Curaçao. Fundashon Bon Intenshon initiates and supports international charitable projects in the fields of education, athletics, cultural literacy, healthcare and tourism as well as other attempts to mitigate the impact of general poverty.

It is being promoted by AEG’s Concerts West and Musica Punto Zero who extend their gratitude for the support provided by the Institute of Cuban Music in bringing this event to the people of Cuba.

The Rolling Stones “Concert for Amity” will be filmed and produced by award winning production company JA Digital with Paul Dugdale directing and Simon Fisher and Sam Bridger as producers. Julie Jakobek of JA Digital said: “It’s a great honour to be working with the Rolling Stones again on this hugely exciting and historic event”.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-01 19:07 by bv.

Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show rumours
Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: January 4, 2016 20:14

Thank you Bjornulf
Hoping for confirmation very soon

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 4, 2016 20:47

Hope this show happens I won't be able to make it but it will be great for the people of Cuba and it would be nice if it is free for them.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: January 4, 2016 22:22

finger's crossed. This would be a hop, skip and jump through Cancun from Mexico City! Of course I am a journalist!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 4, 2016 22:35

Nate
Hope this show happens I won't be able to make it but it will be great for the people of Cuba and it would be nice if it is free for them.

Nate thumbs up

Totally agree. It would be a great gift to the people in Cuba!

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 4, 2016 22:57

I hope and pray that Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie think that it is gonna be a great gig to play whatever the financial stuff comes into it.

Cuba is gonna be a great gig for the people who live there and of course all of us Stones fans who love to see them anywhere. smileys with beer

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 4, 2016 23:19

sarahunwin
finger's crossed. This would be a hop, skip and jump through Cancun from Mexico City! Of course I am a journalist!

How does one become a journalist please??

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 4, 2016 23:36

55,000 people legitimately wondering, Who the f*** is Mick Jagger?

Posted by: leahoneill ()
Date: January 5, 2016 07:33

Great...bring on the concert...

Date: January 5, 2016 11:03

steffialicia
sarahunwin

Put up a blog. And post like hell.... smiling smiley

Posted by: pospi ()
Date: January 5, 2016 14:42

Which date would it be? 20th or 21st?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 15:05

DandelionPowderman
steffialicia
sarahunwin

Put up a blog. And post like hell.... smiling smiley

:-)

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 5, 2016 19:15

oh man i can smell those cigars from here !

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: January 5, 2016 19:32

steffialicia
sarahunwin

Get an IORR laminate and smile!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 5, 2016 21:12

bv
Nate

Nate thumbs up

Cuba is such an inviting market, they could easily get a corporate sponsor for all the costs, including their fee. My guess is that is what they are working on. That seems more likely than a show in Havana at hundreds of US$ per ticket attended by all foreigners. Companies have paid millions for private shows. What a PR opportunity, the Stones in Cuba!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 5, 2016 22:20

Rokyfan
bv
Nate

Nate thumbs up

Cuba is such an inviting market, they could easily get a corporate sponsor for all the costs, including their fee. My guess is that is what they are working on. That seems more likely than a show in Havana at hundreds of US$ per ticket attended by all foreigners. Companies have paid millions for private shows. What a PR opportunity, the Stones in Cuba!

Has there been ANY official word/hints/leaks that this show would be "free" for the audience? Has anything been said about the Stones not receiving their usual (or any) fee for performing?

If it's so easy to get a corporate sponsor, why are they still "working on" it?

Something doesn't seem right here... When the Stones played their free show on the beach in Brazil, was it ever advertised/released who picked up the cost for that show? Local/State/Federal government? The Stones? A corporate entity?

If the Stones were to perform a "free admission" show in Cuba, my hope would be that either "The Rolling Stones" or some other corporate entity (or individual) provides the money to cover the costs of the show. It would be a shame to see the PR talking about a show "free for the people" if it were funded by the government using tax revenues they had collected from "the people". In my mind, that show would be as far from "free for the people" as you could get.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 5, 2016 22:29

I certainly agree with ^. The thought that the Cuban gov't would pay the Stones' fee never crossed my mind. I think the free show idea arose from the fact that no Cuban whose last name is not Castro could afford a ticket under the normal pricing scheme (or any). Thus, corporate sponsorship would seem to make sense.

edit -- And the Stones do not perform without their usual fee. Period. So a free show has no connection with what they get, it's just who pays it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-05 22:31 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 22:46

i belive that cubans are not really interested in a Stones concert. but a free concert will be a great spot for the band worldwide, every tv and media would talk about that.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: January 5, 2016 22:53

I know that BV and most of the others here don't want to hear it,but the show in Cuba won't happen,except for a miracle,take it to the bank.....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 5, 2016 23:44

A pay per view or some sort of world wide televised show from Cuba would make sense for the Stones and the Cuban Tourist industry. Due to the earlier reports
of Mick being filmed in various Cuban locations, I would think the show has a
good chance of actually happening.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: January 6, 2016 00:02

ROPENI
I know that BV and most of the others here don't want to hear it,but the show in Cuba won't happen,except for a miracle,take it to the bank.....
Hope you are right

Date: January 6, 2016 00:21

andrea66
i belive that cubans are not really interested in a Stones concert. but a free concert will be a great spot for the band worldwide, every tv and media would talk about that.

It smacks a bit of cultural imperialism. No one knows/cares about the Stones there apart from some '60s dissidents. The Chinese shows were also a PR stunt, but they could count on pasty expat bankers to show up. The Cubans will be saying, "Well, this is interesante, but J-Lo or Pitbull or Shakira or Julio Iglesias or Gloria Estefan or Paul McCartney would have been mejor."

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 6, 2016 00:44

DeanGoodman
andrea66

It smacks a bit of cultural imperialism. No one knows/cares about the Stones there apart from some '60s dissidents. The Chinese shows were also a PR stunt, but they could count on pasty expat bankers to show up. The Cubans will be saying, "Well, this is interesante, but J-Lo or Pitbull or Shakira or Julio Iglesias or Gloria Estefan or Paul McCartney would have been mejor."[/quot

*Why? Are they exposed/ listening to these others performers over the last 20 years? I don't claim to know a lot about Cuba other than what's been in the news/ few long news segments,
but my understanding is the people of Cuba have been cut off from everything.
So yes, get
The Greatest Rock and Roll band in the world free to the people
Pay Per View the rest of us, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 00:44 by 35love.

Date: January 6, 2016 01:00

@35love ... It's Cuba, not North Korea. Maybe that will be on the next leg. Is PPV even a thing anymore?

Date: January 6, 2016 01:39

DeanGoodman
@35love ... It's Cuba, not North Korea. Maybe that will be on the next leg. Is PPV even a thing anymore?

LOL!/ Korea.
PPV- you betcha, remember Mayweather vs. Pacquiao 2015? $$$$

Date: January 6, 2016 01:49

Grateful Dead made $52 million on PVV 2015
[www.billboard.com]

So maybe you were pulling my leg about PPV still a thing. If you're looking for cutting edge info like this, you got the wrong gal. But I can google.
So YES, FORTUNE TO BE MADE PPV. Let's go Rolling Stones.

Edit: okay, it doesn't say the Dead actually made $52 million from PPV alone, as I read thru article posted (not a Dead fan)
but says broke the 'largest ever PPV record' and I can't be bothered to further find that exact sum, but PPV seems to be happening xxoo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 02:03 by 35love.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 6, 2016 01:55

Aside from the fact that there aren't enough people in Cuba who would be able to afford even modestly-priced tickets to a Stones show, I don't know if they have the infrastructure in place to pull off a production of this magnitude. For example: trucks, diesel generators, staging, hotel rooms, catering facilities, trailers, not to mention the required personnel such as security, stagehands, riggers, etc. Everything (and everybody) would have to be brought in from Miami. If it's important enough to the Cuban government or to the Stones themselves I guess they could manage to pull it off without a lot of problems, but I could easily see it becoming a logistical mess.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 05:47 by TornAndFried.

Date: January 6, 2016 02:20

TornAndFried
... not to mention the required personnel such as security, stagehands, riggers, etc.

That's one good thing about Cuba: security is not a problem - wink-wink. But otherwise you are correct. Hopefully they can find a power cord long enough to reach from Key West.

Date: January 6, 2016 17:22

Maybe Cuba can go on pause until they put/get solar power up and running,
looks like the Stones just keep on rolling, cannot believe these guys new album new N America tour?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2016 18:16

An interesting article from Forbes magazine about Cuba and Rock and Roll. Perhaps one read by Mick.

[www.forbes.com]

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home