Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: THE BRUSSELS AFFAIR '73
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 5, 2021 00:15

That version of the Stones was pretty awesome in 1972, but there are no live recordings as good quality as Brussels or even Get Yer Ya’s Ya’s Out

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 5, 2021 05:07

schwonek
drwatts
The vinyl of this beeotch just smokes!

Plus you can now buy the offical BXL vinyl version. So cool.

Help me understand what is the BXL vinyl version.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: October 5, 2021 06:25

Here is the story:

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Chris M.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 5, 2021 11:24

stonesstein
schwonek
drwatts
The vinyl of this beeotch just smokes!

Plus you can now buy the offical BXL vinyl version. So cool.

BXL = Brussels (Bruxelles in French).
Vinyl version is
[www.amazon.com]

Date: October 5, 2021 14:16

ironbelly
stonesstein
BXL = Brussels (Bruxelles in French).
Vinyl version is
[www.amazon.com]

Thank you!

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 5, 2021 14:21

Listened last night to the VINYL extraction : Taylor and Jagger clearly upfront but no Keith and only Charlie's cymbals audible.

Then I listened to the official bootleg bought on Stones Archives. Much better with Keith work very listenable (great) and the horns too.

But on both Charlie's bottom drum is missing, awful thin sound. I guess the microphone was not near the bass drum...

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: October 5, 2021 15:59

toomuchforme
Listened last night to the VINYL extraction : Taylor and Jagger clearly upfront but no Keith and only Charlie's cymbals audible.

Then I listened to the official bootleg bought on Stones Archives. Much better with Keith work very listenable (great) and the horns too.

But on both Charlie's bottom drum is missing, awful thin sound. I guess the microphone was not near the bass drum...

My vinyl isn't like that at all. More like too much bottom in the drums, and Keith is very audible. Taylor might be a little low at times.

Which vinyl release did you listen too? The original Rolling Stones Records-release?

Date: October 5, 2021 16:09

I bought my first version of this back in the Summer of (I think) 1978, A Bedspring Symphony (and a Box Lunch and a Meat Whistle), TAKRL 1941 with the black label and yellow/red mimeograph insert from Billy Arnold's Purple Prism Record Shop on King Street in Charleston, SC. Seems like next year, I also bought East & West on Excitable Records which turned out to be a straight copy (oh well!). Thereafter, numerous versions and copies came into my hands such as the 2LP Europe 73 (Royal Sound slapper-wax), and then various CD versions like Brussels Affair (Chameleon label), Headin' for an Overload, the Definitive Brussels and a host of others. I think I have 11 or so of the 15 different versions listed on the Stones' bootleg database site. I still have every single LP of this music I have ever acquired.

After accumulating all I thought I'd ever be able to get, in 2002 or 2003, I managed to get ahold of a complete set of 3 original King Biscuit Flower Hour Reel-to-Reel tapes (with an Affidavit) from a guy who ran a radio station board somewhere in Iowa who found them in some old station stock closet. They had all the stamps on the box and stickers on the reels with cue sheets and the ever-elusive 3rd Reel with the Interviews. Strikes me, if I recall correctly, these were from the 1974 KBFH Broadcasts. While I never trade off incredible collectible pieces like that, somehow, someway, those got traded to my dearly departed (yesterday) Stones-brother, JR over a 2-night stay at his house back in July, 2004 under circumstances that are very hazy to me now but for all kinds of amazing stuff that I still have in my collection (I think). He wanted them, and if you knew JR, he had the trade-stock to get whatever he wanted out of others' collections. (I digress....)

When the Deluxe Box Set came out in 2011, I had to get it, because, after all, here was THE live show of shows on Rolling Stones' Records!!! Double-WOW! I missed on the box set with the Dancing with Mr. D 7", but I got the Super Deluxe with Poster, watch, and all kinds of ephemera. Still a prized possession, and people have offered me 3x what I paid for it.

Sure, I downloaded all of the electronic offerings from Apple and wherever else (Amazon, maybe?) one could find, just in case there was "something better".

Apparently, there was a Japanese 4LP set where Marquee and Brussels were combined? (I missed that, but if anyone knows more about it, please share what you know and if there is any difference with the trax thereon from the 2011 and 2020 releases.)

Finally, in 2020, when the GHS Box came out, I had to order and get the Super Deluxe if only to be sure that there was "nothing better".

While I got my first Stones' record (HTW London 7") in the early 70s, of all Stones' music, it is perhaps having my listened to this at 12, 13, and 14 over and over and over and over again which made me conclude that the music on BedSpring Symphony was THE standard by which ALL rock and roll music ought to be judged. Sure, there are others, and there will always be. But, as I believe Doxa wrote in some post here some time back, Midnight Rambler from Brussels 73 is THE finest live performance of any rock and roll band ever, period. Certainly, Chris M's wonderful work (linked above) on these recordings is so inspiring!

Perhaps it was the passing of JR yesterday which now compels me to write about perhaps my core-essential Stones' live recording and with Exile, my Stones' "desert island discs". It certainly has shook me to my core and caused me to reach into countless hours of memories with my friend and discussions of those most precious moments of this incredible band's catalog and history.

The Stones made incredible music long before and long after October 17, 1973, but if one asked me which one piece "above all others", this is it. As a last note, I think the band understands this, too, because when they finally opened up their "live vault", this was the first piece.

If you've read this far, thanks for indulging me, and please be inspired, if you have not already, to re-listen to these (as we approach the 48th anniversary of the shows) and share your thoughts and memories.

WOW!

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: October 5, 2021 16:25

<I bought my first version of this back in the Summer of (I think) 1978, A Bedspring Symphony. 2011: Here was THE live show of shows on Rolling Stones' Records!!!>

It's not the same show, though (Except for MR, BS and possibly one more track).

Date: October 5, 2021 18:12

DandelionPowderman

It's not the same show, though (Except for MR, BS and possibly one more track).

A bit of related history on some of these recordings:

stone-relics
Re: Brussels Affair - Any overdubs?
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 29, 2009 01:37

No, they sold the rights to KBFH, hence never had access to overdub it. I have the original reel to reel tapes from 74, both broadcasts, September and November, NO overdubs there.

JR

(BTW, JR got those reels from me in 2004 in a trade.)

DandelionPowderman, quite correct you are, but the performances are so incredibly well-aligned until the casual listener (and many among us, I suspect!) likely could not tell the difference. I still listen to both and go back and forth between the Brussels Affair / Europe 73 version (1st show plus 2 London 9.9.73 trax) and the official release as to which is my favorite. I think that I am more partial to the "bootleg" versions of the songs, likely because I listened to them for 35 years before the official release of the 2nd show.

Query - Could it be that the band decided to release (largely) the 2nd show instead of the first because KBFH owned the rights to the 1st show tracks? I know that BS & MR and the ADTL solo on the 2011 release are from the 1st show, but could some compromise have played a role?

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: October 5, 2021 21:01

That's an interesting theory, Stonesstein. Not unlikely, I'd say. Then again, they did use some tracks.

Love both shows. Glad we have them with great sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-05 23:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 5, 2021 21:36

stonesstein
I bought my first version of this back in the Summer of (I think) 1978, A Bedspring Symphony (and a Box Lunch and a Meat Whistle), TAKRL 1941 with the black label and yellow/red mimeograph insert from Billy Arnold's Purple Prism Record Shop on King Street in Charleston, SC. Seems like next year, I also bought East & West on Excitable Records which turned out to be a straight copy (oh well!). Thereafter, numerous versions and copies came into my hands such as the 2LP Europe 73 (Royal Sound slapper-wax), and then various CD versions like Brussels Affair (Chameleon label), Headin' for an Overload, the Definitive Brussels and a host of others. I think I have 11 or so of the 15 different versions listed on the Stones' bootleg database site. I still have every single LP of this music I have ever acquired.

After accumulating all I thought I'd ever be able to get, in 2002 or 2003, I managed to get ahold of a complete set of 3 original King Biscuit Flower Hour Reel-to-Reel tapes (with an Affidavit) from a guy who ran a radio station board somewhere in Iowa who found them in some old station stock closet. They had all the stamps on the box and stickers on the reels with cue sheets and the ever-elusive 3rd Reel with the Interviews. Strikes me, if I recall correctly, these were from the 1974 KBFH Broadcasts. While I never trade off incredible collectible pieces like that, somehow, someway, those got traded to my dearly departed (yesterday) Stones-brother, JR over a 2-night stay at his house back in July, 2004 under circumstances that are very hazy to me now but for all kinds of amazing stuff that I still have in my collection (I think). He wanted them, and if you knew JR, he had the trade-stock to get whatever he wanted out of others' collections. (I digress....)

When the Deluxe Box Set came out in 2011, I had to get it, because, after all, here was THE live show of shows on Rolling Stones' Records!!! Double-WOW! I missed on the box set with the Dancing with Mr. D 7", but I got the Super Deluxe with Poster, watch, and all kinds of ephemera. Still a prized possession, and people have offered me 3x what I paid for it.

Sure, I downloaded all of the electronic offerings from Apple and wherever else (Amazon, maybe?) one could find, just in case there was "something better".

Apparently, there was a Japanese 4LP set where Marquee and Brussels were combined? (I missed that, but if anyone knows more about it, please share what you know and if there is any difference with the trax thereon from the 2011 and 2020 releases.)

Finally, in 2020, when the GHS Box came out, I had to order and get the Super Deluxe if only to be sure that there was "nothing better".

While I got my first Stones' record (HTW London 7") in the early 70s, of all Stones' music, it is perhaps having my listened to this at 12, 13, and 14 over and over and over and over again which made me conclude that the music on BedSpring Symphony was THE standard by which ALL rock and roll music ought to be judged. Sure, there are others, and there will always be. But, as I believe Doxa wrote in some post here some time back, Midnight Rambler from Brussels 73 is THE finest live performance of any rock and roll band ever, period. Certainly, Chris M's wonderful work (linked above) on these recordings is so inspiring!

Perhaps it was the passing of JR yesterday which now compels me to write about perhaps my core-essential Stones' live recording and with Exile, my Stones' "desert island discs". It certainly has shook me to my core and caused me to reach into countless hours of memories with my friend and discussions of those most precious moments of this incredible band's catalog and history.

The Stones made incredible music long before and long after October 17, 1973, but if one asked me which one piece "above all others", this is it. As a last note, I think the band understands this, too, because when they finally opened up their "live vault", this was the first piece.

If you've read this far, thanks for indulging me, and please be inspired, if you have not already, to re-listen to these (as we approach the 48th anniversary of the shows) and share your thoughts and memories.

WOW!

Good stuff Chris. I think JR's untimely exit has kindled quite a few Stones vinyl memories that at least we can play out on our turntables.

The KBFH recording first came to me via Saturated Recordworks production The Rolling Stones A Tour De Force which had some songs from the 73 tour Brussels included I guess along with some 1973 Wembley numbers and some stuff from MSG 72. Great album BTW. My copy incredibly still in great condition!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 5, 2021 22:38

My first Brussels was this one. So I got used to the vinyl virus version and this is still my go-to Brussels version. But I also love the official release. The mix is totally different but I discover new things in it everytime I hear it.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: October 5, 2021 23:00

My first Brussels was Nasty Music, double vinyl, on SODD label, bought in 1977

a mix of London sept. 9 and Brussels oct 17 1973 (plus some NY 1972, if I remember well).

I also have Bedpring Symphony, The Stars in the Sky they never lie (and probably more vinyl) and the official download version but I always go back to Nasty Music ...

This is the real Rolling Stones for me ...

Resotele

Brussels affair!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: DCChris ()
Date: January 10, 2006 10:57

...listened for the first time,last night!!!!
unbelievable,that´s ROCK`N ROLL!!!
Forget all others! MICK TAYLOR RULES!
Comparing to Brussels affair all other live recordings are to forget...!!
I LOVE IT,I LOVE THE STONES! ROCK`N ROLL!!

Re: Brussels affair!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: January 10, 2006 11:00

Yeah, lol. This reminds me of the day I first heard Bussels Affair...

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: January 10, 2006 11:19

Me too!!!!!!

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: January 10, 2006 11:20

I love it. Attitude, aggression and great playing.
The version of Heartbreaker is so firkin hard it hurts.

Yeah! Oily.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 10, 2006 11:29

The best!!

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: January 10, 2006 11:41

The best together with Ya Ya's! And yup, Mick Taylor rules for sure!

Date: January 10, 2006 11:59

...can´t wait til I listen to it again tonight...excellent!!!!!

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: January 10, 2006 11:59

It all depends on how you like your Rolling Stones. I would still take Keith and Ron at their peak together,rather than Keith and Mick T together. Give Hansome Girls a listen,it is different to Brussels affair, but in my opinion just as awesome!

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: January 10, 2006 12:07

Yeah, Handsome Girls will give DCChris the next Rock´n´Roll night. These two bootlegs really give you the essence of Stones Rock´n´Roll.

I have friends who know the Stones greatest hits from compilations. Just studio recordings. They were positively shocked when I played tracks from Brussels and Handsome Girls to them. The greatest hits listener has NO IDEA of the greatness that is captured with those recordings.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 10, 2006 12:24

Brussels is the best ever. Yes. Fantastic!!!! Ron Wood 2006? I rest my case...

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: January 10, 2006 12:30

I agree Bjorn, but listen to Ron from 1978, surely one of the most distinctive and unique talents,I just love his sound! Different to Taylor but just as unique in his own right.

Date: January 10, 2006 12:36

Stonethobo - that is so true.

Oily.

Date: January 10, 2006 12:39

Of course it's great, but we get a bit fooled by the excellent sound. Regarding energy and performance I prefer some of the 1972 shows.

Date: January 10, 2006 12:42

ok...first Brussels affair and than Handsome Girls!
Can`t wait for tonight! unbelievable,I never ever thought my band beeing so
tough! ROCK`N ROLL = ROLLING STONES are best,forget the rest!

Date: January 10, 2006 12:48

Hahaha, loads of stuff for you to go at!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 10, 2006 13:03

Yes, MickyG - 78 is great too!!!

Cheers

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1715
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home