Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Brussels Affair
Posted by: rereuk ()
Date: August 5, 2021 11:10

I was recently listening to this amazing gig whilst cycling. i was stunned, and i listened to it many times before. the energy, the power, the meanness of their playing. unriveled. i now read about watts giving up and i agree with him. man is almost 80, must rest. as a diehard stones fan i got accustomed to a different band over the years, a worse band. time is a killer for all of us and more so if you are an artist and have to rely on your strength, your voice, your fingers and joints. sadly my adored stones aged horribly and nowadays we all clap and dance to music that is absolutely below par. we all know it and we all pretend it is not true. listen to charlie's drumming then and now. or on the recently released rio gig. another planet. i have to admit, living in london and having met ronnie several times i was willing to bet he would have been the first to throw the towel but hey...the king is dead. long live the king. i guess.

btw guys, please remember all artists must go through a medical vetting for insurance reasons. charlie obviously couldn't pass it hence...no charlie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 11:16 by rereuk.

Re: Brussels Affair
Date: August 5, 2021 11:27

Great indeed! More about The Brussels Affair here in the Live Album Talk: [iorr.org]

Btw, Charlie is not "giving up". He's joining the rest of the band after the tour.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 5, 2021 11:33

You can't go "I recently listened to Brussels while cycling" and them proceed to talk about how the band is sub-par these days and your bets on who will throw in the towel

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 5, 2021 11:44

Every artist is aging and losing much of his flexibility, that's a natural process. Originally, rock music was the music of young people for young people. Nobody ever thought that the stars woukd still be performing in their 70s and even 80s. It is not nostalgia if you find the old recordings much better than the newer ones. As a rock singer, in your 20s to 40s you can sing with a lightness and effortlessness that you will not reach again from a certain age. It happens to all of us so it is not an offense but a fact.

Therefore, the golden years of live recordings vocal-wise for the Rolling Stones are actually from 1969 through 1973, and that has nothing to do with the taylor-Wood discussion. Mick Jagger was in full command of his vocals, andthey performed songs where he could show everything he was capable of. The live recordings of 1970 and 1971 deserve a specialmention and are a pleasure to listen to.

Think of other artists. Paul McCartney's voice is completely gone and a pain to listen to. Even if you listen to live recordings of Van Morrison who is still great to see live in concert you will notice that he is no longer able to create the excitement of his concerts back in the 1970s, 1980s or 1990s. Bob Dylan has often been very different as a singer from great to really bad but if I am not completely wrong he is more mumbling than singing these days.

I once saw BB King in concert when he was over 80, and it was great to be there because I had missed him earlier but I would not advice anyone to listen to his live recordings after 2001 because his voice was strained after then. Before that he gave some fantastic concerts!

Date: August 5, 2021 11:50

saltoftheearth
Every artist is aging and losing much of his flexibility, that's a natural process. Originally, rock music was the music of young people for young people. Nobody ever thought that the stars woukd still be performing in their 70s and even 80s. It is not nostalgia if you find the old recordings much better than the newer ones. As a rock singer, in your 20s to 40s you can sing with a lightness and effortlessness that you will not reach again from a certain age. It happens to all of us so it is not an offense but a fact.

Therefore, the golden years of live recordings vocal-wise for the Rolling Stones are actually from 1969 through 1973, and that has nothing to do with the taylor-Wood discussion. Mick Jagger was in full command of his vocals, andthey performed songs where he could show everything he was capable of. The live recordings of 1970 and 1971 deserve a specialmention and are a pleasure to listen to.

Think of other artists. Paul McCartney's voice is completely gone and a pain to listen to. Even if you listen to live recordings of Van Morrison who is still great to see live in concert you will notice that he is no longer able to create the excitement of his concerts back in the 1970s, 1980s or 1990s. Bob Dylan has often been very different as a singer from great to really bad but if I am not completely wrong he is more mumbling than singing these days.

I once saw BB King in concert when he was over 80, and it was great to be there because I had missed him earlier but I would not advice anyone to listen to his live recordings after 2001 because his voice was strained after then. Before that he gave some fantastic concerts!

You find Mick's 1973-voice in concert superior to his 1966-voice? No way smiling smiley

Date: August 5, 2021 12:15

rereuk
I was recently listening to this amazing gig whilst cycling.

That's working better than EPO. Lance would have won the tour 8 times if he had done the same. smoking smiley

Date: August 5, 2021 12:26

TheflyingDutchman
rereuk

That's working better than EPO. Lance would have won the tour 8 times if he had done the same. smoking smiley

Instead he chose Keith's method. He must be a great fan (at least his ex-wife is)...

Date: August 5, 2021 12:37

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
rereuk

Instead he chose Keith's method. He must be a great fan (at least his ex-wife is)...

She did a rendition with Eddie v Halen, "Bitch".
I think Keith's method doesn't work in sports, quite the opposite. winking smiley

Date: August 5, 2021 12:51

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
rereuk

She did a rendition with Eddie v Halen, "Bitch".
I think Keith's method doesn't work in sports, quite the opposite. winking smiley

Are you sure?

Date: August 5, 2021 13:55

ahahahahahaha

magnifico!

Date: August 5, 2021 14:03

i agree on it all. because of age and clearly mental stability they had to change tempos. slow the pace to allow mick to sing and the others to follow. naturally it totally changed the songs. tracks like tumbling dice and sweet virginia, that on exile are truly thumping songs, now became horrible sing-a-long to allow jagger to breath. all pathos gone. YCOGWYW, a masterpiece, again a show of who sings louder in the crowd. the stones, once so beautifully detached from their crowds, became child friendly and sadly pop artists. i cringe every time i go to concerts now, and i will still go due to my undying respect. wood's air kissing, keef's chest-thumping, all time savers. mick has a routine where at each gig speaks (tries) local languages and lists cities. personally i believe the stones wouldn't need to do any of this. this is a PR campaign peddled by universal. and they say yes because in fear of not being nice. which they should not be. i know, i am an extremist but by god they changed! oh they changed too much.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:07

They were pretty great on the 1972 tour.If the best of the 1972 shows had better sound they’d be as good

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: August 5, 2021 15:23

Brussels Affair is The Worlds Greatest Rock n Roll band at the peak of their powers.

I went to see the band when they last played in London and they blew me away so I'm glad that they still do it. However, without Charlie...... I'm not so sure.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:21

I believe Brussels was my first live bootleg (Brussels Affair). That or 2 different ones I got for the '78 tour. I played them so much back then, but no so much anymore, not sure why. I think i overplayed them!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:35

Truly a masterpiece performance. Great to have gotten it on FLAC a few years ago and now on the GHS Vinyl Boxset.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 5, 2021 23:09

It (the official release) was kind of disappointing to me as it contained several versions that I do not like as much as the original boot tracks. But I think it includes the best ever Dancin with Mr D, so overall it was worth it. If I am not mistaken it was the same version from the KBFH broadcast that became the boot "European Tour 73". Guitar in it is fantastic.

jb

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 6, 2021 18:27

The combination of Keith Richards and Mick Taylor is absolutely incredible.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 6, 2021 18:51

strat72
Brussels Affair is The Worlds Greatest Rock n Roll band at the peak of their powers.

I went to see the band when they last played in London and they blew me away so I'm glad that they still do it. However, without Charlie...... I'm not so sure.

One of their peaks.
1964: watch them "do" the Wembley Arena. The essential Rolling Stones, amazing.
1967: listen to the Paris performance (for instance)
1969: GY'rYaya'sOut (and other shows of that tour). Great Mick Taylor ...
1970/1971: a shame if you missed that part of their life.
1972/1973: yep
And so on, and so on .... I saw several 2002/2003 club shows ... amazing!
Latin America/Cuba! And so on, and so on ...
The Rolling Stones have always been and hopefully will be (for me hopefully next year) the best live Rock 'n Roll experience. Some other bands follow at a respectful distance ...
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2021 02:07

Nikkei
You can't go "I recently listened to Brussels while cycling" and them proceed to talk about how the band is sub-par these days and your bets on who will throw in the towel

I think he did.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2021 02:10

saltoftheearth

Depends. I went to see Bobby 'Blue' Bland a few times in the mid-90s at the House of Blues in Los Angeles. He simply couldn't go above a certain range. He did anyway and it was really hoarse. But the feeling was there, great band. And being with Bobby, close up, in a relatively small venue, I cherish that.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 7, 2021 02:44

I had an affair once.......but her name wasn't Brussels eye popping smiley

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 10, 2021 04:32

DandelionPowderman
saltoftheearth

You find Mick's 1973-voice in concert superior to his 1966-voice? No way smiling smiley

Dandy, you and I are often on the same sheet of music, but here - WAY!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: August 10, 2021 07:50

stonesstein
DandelionPowderman
saltoftheearth

Dandy, you and I are often on the same sheet of music, but here - WAY!

I love the hoarse shouting on Brussels as well - don't get me wrong (Angie is the exceptio, though - there he sings). But it's not as good as his 'real' singing earlier, if you know what I mean.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: THE BRUSSELS AFFAIR '73
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 4, 2021 16:51

I just want to confirm that the 2011 official release of Brussels Affair is the same version as appears in the Goats Head Soup 2020 reissue such that there are no new live tracks from 1973 on the 2020 GHS release?

Also, if they are the same trax, was the mix from 2011 in any manner re-done or altered for the 2020 release?

Thanks in advance.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: October 4, 2021 17:15

I am so glad that the show is documented. I love many live periods of the Stones. '78 to '82 is my favorite "live" period of the band but this Brussels show is to me the best single show on record. The band is just on fire

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 4, 2021 17:16

stonesstein
I just want to confirm that the 2011 official release of Brussels Affair is the same version as appears in the Goats Head Soup 2020 reissue such that there are no new live tracks from 1973 on the 2020 GHS release?

Also, if they are the same trax, was the mix from 2011 in any manner re-done or altered for the 2020 release?

Thanks in advance.
Same track list, same versions, same mix. Slightly different mastering.
Original download from Stones Archive had Dynamic Range 10-11. Recent CD (as a matter of fact as well as Japanese 2CDs from 2015) came with DR 6-7. Also, for CD digital clicks in Angie were cleaned.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: October 4, 2021 17:40

max56
I was there I was just 17

thumbs up

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 4, 2021 19:50

The vinyl of this beeotch just smokes!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 4, 2021 21:49

drwatts
The vinyl of this beeotch just smokes!

Plus you can now buy the offical BXL vinyl version. So cool.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: October 4, 2021 23:35

It contains my all time best version of my all time favorite song... Tumbling Dice. Taylor was on fire. I could listen to it for hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-04 23:36 by daniel t.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home