Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: THE BRUSSELS AFFAIR '73
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 5, 2016 04:15

Eleanor Rigby
alimente
DandelionPowderman
Only two songs on the official release (MR and BS) are from the original bootleg.

And that's what's the problem here, making the official release only second-best to the bootleg - because the bootlegs simply have better performances of almost all songs.

This whole "Brussels" thing is a myth anyway, because even the best bootleg collections include some tracks from London where the Brussels versions were obviously subpar, out of tune or whatever (that's why the orginal KBFH selection(s) used for the orginal boots included Gimme Shelter from London, for example).

disagree...there's no myth.

From the 1st Brussels show - which the bootleg contains:
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Dancing with Mr D
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Midnight Rambler
Rip This joint
Angie
JJF
...are all the best performances of the Tour.

TD, MR & Angie are arguably their best EVER performances of those songs.

pretty good show (Brussels #1) !!!!!

Unfortunately the official release has mostly songs from the second show which, IMO, is inferior to the first (legendary) show.

Hmmm, 8 songs don't make a full show, right? I agree that these eight are great, but the boots have also certain tracks from Wembley in the very same league (of it's own, so to speak), and that's why I prefer to speak of a European Tour 1973 compilation as the "holy grail" instead of this ever-misleading "Brussels" tag.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 5, 2016 04:43

alimente
Eleanor Rigby
alimente
DandelionPowderman
Only two songs on the official release (MR and BS) are from the original bootleg.

And that's what's the problem here, making the official release only second-best to the bootleg - because the bootlegs simply have better performances of almost all songs.

This whole "Brussels" thing is a myth anyway, because even the best bootleg collections include some tracks from London where the Brussels versions were obviously subpar, out of tune or whatever (that's why the orginal KBFH selection(s) used for the orginal boots included Gimme Shelter from London, for example).

disagree...there's no myth.

From the 1st Brussels show - which the bootleg contains:
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Dancing with Mr D
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Midnight Rambler
Rip This joint
Angie
JJF
...are all the best performances of the Tour.

TD, MR & Angie are arguably their best EVER performances of those songs.

pretty good show (Brussels #1) !!!!!

Unfortunately the official release has mostly songs from the second show which, IMO, is inferior to the first (legendary) show.

Hmmm, 8 songs don't make a full show, right? I agree that these eight are great, but the boots have also certain tracks from Wembley in the very same league (of it's own, so to speak), and that's why I prefer to speak of a European Tour 1973 compilation as the "holy grail" instead of this ever-misleading "Brussels" tag.

well 8 songs - played at their finest, some best ever - is a good chunk of any show don't you think?
It's rare you get a show where you hear this quality.
Plus the ones i have left off the list are still bloody good...I'm just being fussy.
For example, the intro to Gimme Shelter at Brussels #1 is slightly out of tune...but the song is still fantastic with a brilliant Taylor solo. The London version is better. Happy is also slightly out of tune.
The only "sub-par" song from Brussels #1 would be Street Fighting Man....and I'm being very fussy here!

but you're right - the legendary bootleg does include some brilliant performances from London giving you that false "perfection" of the Brussels #1 show.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 11:34

The guitar segueing to sax solos in YCAGWYW ... Just sublime

Rod

Date: January 5, 2016 11:46

Angie is just as good on the official release, unless the Taylor solos has to be 110 percent perfect for you to enjoy it, imo.

Heartbreaker is also on par with the London version, even though Keith's guitar is a bit out of tune.

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: January 5, 2016 11:58

Hi there

If so many believe the first show was the better version then why do you think the stones released officially more from the second show ? Why do you think they thought the second show was the better version to release

Cheers brendon from New Zealand See some of you in BA in February!!

Date: January 5, 2016 12:02

masoudi
Hi there

If so many believe the first show was the better version then why do you think the stones released officially more from the second show ? Why do you think they thought the second show was the better version to release

The recordings were better?

Then again, Mick got Bobby to add sax overdubs, and they played the other compilation with the other Brussels show and London on the radio in the 80s, so they must have liked that one as well smiling smiley

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 5, 2016 12:58

On the New Years day, I had compared Nasty Music on the SACD version to Brussels Affair on the download flac version for Brown Sugar.
Soundwise , 2011 version of Brussels is better. Vocal and Taylor's guitar come to the front. It has clearness, localization and depth of each instruments.
Bob Clearmountain's job is stunning.

However, if you want Keith Richards guitar tutorial, you should choose Nasty Music for sure. You can hear his loud and powerful pluck.smiling smiley

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: January 5, 2016 17:09

For me the LPs sounds very good, surely the bests of the archive serie, and maybe as good as or better than the GYYO reissue.
It's a real sonic pleasure winking smiley
The two sides of MR and YCYGWYW are the highlights !

Date: January 5, 2016 17:16

a serious analysis .rollingstonesnet.com/Brussels

I wonder one thing : as the the radio show from the 80s is available on high quality on Wolfgang Vault, maybe the Stones wanted to deliver something different to the ultimate fans ???

Date: January 5, 2016 17:25

djgab

I wonder one thing : as the the radio show from the 80s is available on high quality on Wolfgang Vault, maybe the Stones wanted to deliver something different to the ultimate fans ???

They have those tapes themselves, mixed with overdubs (BS) - as it was Mick who mixed it for the radio broadcast in the 80s. MR and BS were used on the official release, though.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 5, 2016 18:05

One of the best live testimonia ever made, rough, uncensored. The boys are on a new level of their instrumental skills. One of the first recordings of MJ's howling, growling and barking vocals. Sometimes is it too much, but his vocals on YCAGWYW is maybe his best effort in this field.

Date: January 5, 2016 18:07

RobertJohnson
One of the best live testimonia ever made, rough, uncensored. The boys are on a new level of their instrumental skills. One of the first recordings of MJ's howling, growling and barking vocals. Sometimes is it too much, but his vocals on YCAGWYW is maybe his best effort in this field.

«You can't always get what you wantcchhhhhhhh!»

Great stuff! thumbs up

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 5, 2016 18:09

And let us bring back the issue with digital clicks to the picture again.

When Brussels was released as a digital download a number of users (Honestman, UrbanSteel) reported digital clicks in Angie. One can hear those clicks at 0.36, 0.43, 1.23, 1.26, 1.32 and 1.39 for digital download version. They sound like surface vinyl pops or electrical discharge - cable contact.

I gave a close listen to Angie from Japanese Ward CD version an apparently some of those pops disappear. At least I can't hear pops at 0.36, 1.26 and 1.39.

Date: January 5, 2016 18:12

ironbelly
And let us bring back the issue with digital clicks to the picture again.

When Brussels was released as a digital download a number of users (Honestman, UrbanSteel) reported digital clicks in Angie. One can hear those clicks at 0.36, 0.43, 1.23, 1.26, 1.32 and 1.39 for digital download version. They sound like surface vinyl pops or electrical discharge - cable contact.

I gave a close listen to Angie from Japanese Ward CD version an apparently some of those pops disappear. At least I can't hear pops at 0.36, 1.26 and 1.39.

I think those are tape glitches. Most of them are not audible on the cd/vinyl version.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 5, 2016 18:18

djgab

Great to get unheard versions!! There's got to be more (please)...>grinning smiley<

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: January 6, 2016 00:41

Dancing with Mr D
Oh yes, fantastic version here

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 6, 2016 02:47

DandelionPowderman
djgab

They have those tapes themselves, mixed with overdubs (BS) - as it was Mick who mixed it for the radio broadcast in the 80s. MR and BS were used on the official release, though.

The 1973 multitracks are not in the KBFH/Wolfgang's Vault archives, they are in the hands of the Stones. KBFH was given stereo mixdown mastertapes at the time for broadcasting purposes. Same story with the 1978 tour tapes. Mick mixed them at Compass Point.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 6, 2016 06:47

I generally have little interest in Stones' live albums - there are always a few highs, a few licks which I wish were on the studio version but for the most part they sound amateurish, especially Jagger. Brussels really isn't an exception in that regard. Brown Sugar rocks, the energy level on Happy is good but very sloppy compared to the studio version, the end of Tumbling Dice gets an A for effort and improvisation too but it's just not possible to top the studio version. Dancing with Mister Death is I suppose an improvement on the album version but that doesn't change the fact that it's a crappy song. I had great expectations for the Mighty Taylor's solo on YCAGWYW but found it underwhelming. And etc. Brussels Affair doesn't live up to the hype.

Now Leeds 71, which I recently heard on YouTube courtesy of Kleermaker, almost changed my mind about live albums. That's as good as it gets IMO. I had intended to 'skim' it, listen to a verse and then skip to the next song, but I immediately became captivated and ended up listening to every note. (By contrast, I was able to skip through a lot of Brussels.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 06:48 by Swayed1967.

Date: January 6, 2016 08:38

alimente
DandelionPowderman
djgab

The 1973 multitracks are not in the KBFH/Wolfgang's Vault archives, they are in the hands of the Stones. KBFH was given stereo mixdown mastertapes at the time for broadcasting purposes. Same story with the 1978 tour tapes. Mick mixed them at Compass Point.

With "they" I meant the Stones smiling smiley

Date: January 6, 2016 10:22

alimente

DandelionPowderman

djgab

I should have written that "was available". It's not anymore wolfgangsvault.com/.
It's a pity as they are different.

Date: January 6, 2016 10:27

djgab

alimente

DandelionPowderman

djgab

I should have written that "was available". It's not anymore wolfgangsvault.com/.

I reckon they knew that everybody had that bootleg, and wanted to surprise us with a different show (where only a few songs were available in mediocre quality). I thought that was nice, as I have the Brussels Affair-bootleg in most different incarnations already.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 6, 2016 13:27

DandelionPowderman
djgab

alimente

DandelionPowderman

djgab

I reckon they knew that everybody had that bootleg, and wanted to surprise us with a different show (where only a few songs were available in mediocre quality). I thought that was nice, as I have the Brussels Affair-bootleg in most different incarnations already.

I agree with this.
What would have been great is a 2-cd release of both shows in full !
Always annoys me incomplete shows....

Date: January 6, 2016 13:33

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
djgab

alimente

DandelionPowderman

djgab

I agree with this.
What would have been great is a 2-cd release of both shows in full !
Always annoys me incomplete shows....

I agree about the full shows. Then again, there are some butchered versions on the original bootleg (All Down The Line) + some tuning problems (GS).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2016 14:16

DandelionPowderman
masoudi
Hi there

Then again, Mick got Bobby to add sax overdubs, and they played the other compilation with the other Brussels show and London on the radio in the 80s, so they must have liked that one as well smiling smiley

There's no Bobby on any Brussels recording.

Mathijs

Date: January 6, 2016 14:25

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
masoudi
Hi there

Mathijs

Trevor, then...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2016 14:36

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
masoudi
Hi there

Mathijs

Trevor, then...

Yep, and it was not overdubbed but re-mixed.

Mathijs

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 8, 2016 01:48

Fyi,

We listened to the first song, Brown Sugar. Mick adjusted the balance between the instruments, trying to get a blend that would bring you into the middle of the concert.

Usually, when a mix was in process, the mixer would become quite precious about the placement of these faders.
Balancing the instruments could be a delicate affair, and when you got something you liked, you were very careful to keep the slider in a very precise spot.
Before the advent of digital recording, it was my job to notate exactly where every knob in the studio was placed, so we could always get back the magic.

But Jagger would set up a mix, play with it for a while, get frustrated, and just knock down all the faders to zero, ruining all that he had just built up.
He’d get out of his seat, growl, “Ahh!” and signal Ramone to take over.

Ramone would leap behind the board to ride the faders like he was running a thoroughbred, swooning and tapping his foot, bringing his mystic vibe into the proceedings.
Jagger went along for the ride, but wasn’t happy with the sound Ramone was getting on Keith’s guitar.

See more details below:
[shrinky.net]

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 2, 2016 18:22

The official version of the legendary bootleg we all have since our days of youth. Actually it is not the boot show, many tracks are from the afternoon show or vice versa, I'm not sure, so we have essential parts of both shows. Nothing more is to say on the musical brilliant performance, ingenious MT. Disappointing that the sound isn't better than on the real boot, sometimes I prefer the bootleg edition even.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-02 18:22 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 2, 2016 18:28

Brings back memories of things that got me into the Stones in the first place. Ya Ya's was my first exposure to the glory of live Stones. Then when I was about 14 in 1974 there was a KBFH broadcast of the Stones from 1973, which thrilled my socks off. I'm not sure if it was what we now know as TBA, but the setlist was the same and it was of a similar quality. My fanaticism was cemented!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 2, 2016 18:31

HMS
It´s not bad - in fact it´s very good, way better than GYYO. But Roundhouse would be better if it was complete...

I don't agree : imo GYYO < Roudhouse'71 < Brussels'73. After that it was a different band with Ron Wood. Not worse than the MT era but different.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home