Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Undercover Of The Night (New)
Date: January 13, 2016 10:29

I couldn't believe that Keith didn't play on Undercover, so I put the song under the microscope smiling smiley

He IS playing on it. A few places one of the guitars plays a typical Keith blues phrasing that Mick can't do, while Ronnie is playing his licks.

So, all the three of them played guitar on it. But it is indeed Mick who plays the main rhythm guitar in open G.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 11:00

DandelionPowderman
I couldn't believe that Keith didn't play on Undercover, so I put the song under the microscope smiling smiley

He IS playing on it. A few places one of the guitars plays a typical Keith blues phrasing that Mick can't do, while Ronnie is playing his licks.

So, all the three of them played guitar on it. But it is indeed Mick who plays the main rhythm guitar in open G.

it's very clear that mick secretly wishes he was keith richards... ;-)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 14, 2016 19:34

DandelionPowderman

I forget which side, left or right, but there's a guitar that is infrequent with some licks, at times the same lick Mick plays but smoother. On the FORTY LICKS edit version you can hear it when Mick sings the song title at 1:50 or so, after he says "night".

"All the young girls they've got the blues" there's some kind of machine gun riffage hard left, that's Keith I'm guessing.

There are a lot of sneaky sounds throughout the song - keyboard here and there, some vocals, those pounding drums, Bigsby barred guitar. It's really a cool track to listen to on headphones.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 14, 2016 19:52

GasLightStreet
It's really a cool track to listen to on headphones.

And so is Winning Ugly.

Date: January 14, 2016 19:56

HMS
GasLightStreet

And so is Winning Ugly.

No. Winning Ugly is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. The only thing Winning Ugly would be good for is torturing terrorists.

Date: January 14, 2016 20:00

Put on your headphones, listen to that great bassline and the marvelous bridge, simply amazing. Back To Zero is also a treat coming over headphones. Ah, the entire album is a treat on headphones.

Date: January 14, 2016 20:14

I do not want to suffer. Never again will I listen to those songs. I haven't for ages. There's zero about them that's worth listening to.

Just like that horrible pile of steaming dogshit of an album they're on.

Date: January 14, 2016 21:18

At least you admit that the album is steaming. I´d wish Steel Wheels would have a little bit of that steam.

Date: January 14, 2016 21:34

The wrong kind of steaming, HMS. Rotten steaming. Nasty rotten shit.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2016 22:54

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 14, 2016 23:02

GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

And so is Winning Ugly.

No. Winning Ugly is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. The only thing Winning Ugly would be good for is torturing terrorists.

Original the song called Whining Ugly

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 15, 2016 17:08

HMS
Put on your headphones, listen to that great bassline and the marvelous bridge, simply amazing. Back To Zero is also a treat coming over headphones. Ah, the entire album is a treat on headphones.

Truth be told, the bass parts on "Dirty Work" are awesome! As for "Winning Ugly", it would be interesting to hear it with a different arrangement, e.g. with a brass section instead of the keyboards.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 15, 2016 17:12

Wild Slivovitz
HMS

Truth be told, the bass parts on "Dirty Work" are awesome! As for "Winning Ugly", it would be interesting to hear it with a different arrangement, e.g. with a brass section instead of the keyboards.

And with a real funky bass.
The song has got potential, but it died before it even had a chance.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: January 17, 2016 00:46

Marvelous song and marvelous LP. I remember when first hearing this and I loved it from the first note. The whole LP is the last really good Stones LP. Dirty Work was a huge disappointment. Back then three years was a very long waiting period so when DW finally got out I just couldn't understand why they released so crappy album.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 17, 2016 18:05

HMS
GasLightStreet

And so is Winning Ugly.

So is Too Much Blood !!!
jeroenhot smiley

Date: January 17, 2016 18:10

corriecas
HMS
GasLightStreet

And so is Winning Ugly.

So is Too Much Blood !!!
jeroenhot smiley

Most of U is great on headphones. Nothing on DW is worthy of headphones.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 17, 2016 19:30

Keith told Musician Magazine he wanted an alternate version released, and this may be it (below). Somehow it slipped out to a radio station >>>
[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 17, 2016 19:35

Title5Take1
Keith told Musician Magazine he wanted an alternate version released, and this may be it (below). Somehow it slipped out to a radio station >>>
[www.youtube.com]

Interesting mix with the backing vocals, a bit more panning. Goofy acoustic guitar.

Some different guitar lines in that mix that's not on the LP mix. It's also way more streamlined, doesn't have the tumbling rhythm that's on the official release.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 17, 2016 20:13

The track they released is better than the one posted above, but it is still fun to listen to, thanks Title5!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-18 00:26 by Turner68.

Date: January 17, 2016 21:39

It was Ronnie, not Keith, who preferred this version. Keith didn't like this song at all.

Date: January 17, 2016 22:08

DandelionPowderman
Keith didn't like this song at all.

Of course he didn´t.
He loves Streets Of Love (according to his own words).smiling bouncing smiley

Date: January 17, 2016 22:12

grinning smiley

Date: January 17, 2016 23:11

Keith had an interest in the song, see below (MUSICIAN MAGAZINE). Paragraph 6 includes alternate-version discussion. The MUSICIAN writer's description doesn't really match the alternate version posted above. I've been dying to hear the version Keith played for the writer ever since reading this:
Interview published at time of UNDERCOVER but I got this in a compilation issue published years later (an all-Beatles-and-Stones-interviews special edition of MUSICIAN.)

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 18, 2016 02:46

Title5Take1
Interview published at time of UNDERCOVER but I got this in a compilation issue published years later (an all-Beatles-and-Stones-interviews special edition of MUSICIAN.)

Fantastic piece; thanks for posting these two pages ... any possibility you could throw up the rest of it?

Thanks!

Drew

Date: January 18, 2016 05:51

drewmaster
Title5Take1

Fantastic piece; thanks for posting these two pages ... any possibility you could throw up the rest of it?

Thanks!

Drew

I sort of expected such a request smiling smiley . I hadn’t wanted to put the whole interview on a “niche” thread where it would be sort of ignored, so created a new thread for the whole interview here >>> [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 18, 2016 13:20

Title5Take1
drewmaster
Title5Take1

Thanks!

Drew

I sort of expected such a request smiling smiley . I hadn’t wanted to put the whole interview on a “niche” thread where it would be sort of ignored, so created a new thread for the whole interview here >>> [www.iorr.org]

Great, thank you! >grinning smiley<

Drew

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 18, 2016 14:58

DandelionPowderman

Can you indicate where you think Keith plays?

Mathijs

Date: January 18, 2016 15:14

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Can you indicate where you think Keith plays?

Mathijs

Check out the licks from 3:58. At the 4:14-mark Mick is back again. Seems like an overdub playing the riff slightly differently, as well as the classic Keith blues lick at the 3:58 mark. It's hard to tell, really, but I don't think Mick does that phrasing at all. At least, I've never heard him do that.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-18 15:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Track Talk: Undercover Of The Night
Date: January 18, 2016 16:09

The riff is suspiciously similar to the riff in The Kinks's 20th Century Man (at the 3:54 mark) smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home