Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
OT: RIP Lemmy
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:10

MOTÖRHEAD mainman Lemmy died earlier today at the age of 70, it has been confirmed by his manager.

Ozzy Osbourne said in a statement: "Lost one of my best friends, Lemmy, today. He will be sadly missed. He was a warrior and a legend. I will see you on the other side."

Lemmy dealt with some serious health issues recently, forcing the indulgent rock legend to scale back on alcohol and kick his cigarette habit. Though Lemmy had made some positive steps forward, he had been struggling with poor health in recent months, leading to MOTÖRHEAD's touring schedule being disrupted.

The rock icon recently claimed that he was doing just fine and was people to stop asking about his health.

He told Classic Rock: "I'm sick of the @#$%&, 'Are you going to die?' line of questioning. It's getting really old, that question. I’m alright. I'm going out there and doing my best.

"I have good days and bad days but mostly I've been doing alright. The last tour of the States was very good."

Lemmy, who turned 70 years old on December 24, told Classic Rock he had no intention of retiring.

He said: "It's when you get to 60 when everything starts to go pear-shaped. Everyone thinks that becoming an older guy is easy, but you never consider it fully. It comes as quite a shock. But the thing is, I don't want to give in to it."

Lemmy previously said that he didn't expect to still be here at 30.

"I don't do regrets," he said. "Regrets are pointless. It's too late for regrets. You've already done it, haven't you? You've lived your life. No point wishing you could change it.

"There are a couple of things I might have done differently, but nothing major; nothing that would have made that much of a difference.

"I'm pretty happy with the way things have turned out. I like to think I've brought a lot of joy to a lot of people all over the world. I'm true to myself and I'm straight with people."

Asked if his illness has made him more aware of his own mortality, Lemmy said: "Death is an inevitability, isn't it? You become more aware of that when you get to my age. I don't worry about it. I'm ready for it. When I go, I want to go doing what I do best. If I died tomorrow, I couldn't complain. It's been good."

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Re: OT: RIP Lemmy
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:17

Sorry to see Lemmy go. He certainly walked the walk. What a character, he will be missed. Back to being a roadie for Jimi Hendrix, perhaps Jimi will let him sit in for a couple of tunes now.

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:23

Sad news today... Lemmy will be missed.
Truly an icon of rock'n roll.
Cool version of Sympathy for the Devil on Motorhead's last great album Bad Magic.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:35

What an absolute legend.

Rest in peace, Lemmy

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:40

One of the true legends.

Facebook page reporting he just learned of this aggressive cancer that took him, on Dec. 26.

Very sad. RIP.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:40

Like Keef, Lemmy is rock 'n' roll.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:48

Ahhh shit - RIP Lemmy.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:55

Truly a great loss for rock and roll. Lemmy was REAL.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 29, 2015 04:00

First gig I ever saw, Motörhead at Glasgow Apollo in June 83, and we met them after and got autographs. This has shaken me to the core. So sad. legend.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 29, 2015 04:06

Aww dang! another good one gone.
a surprise, it is not.
he looked very fragile in the last few pics.

Sad news sad smiley
RIP, Lemmy

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 04:30

@#$%& horrible news...I'm absolutely gutted. I've been dreading this day and knew it was coming given how frail he'd been looking, but still doesn't make it any easier.

Motorhead is a Top 5 band for me...I met Lemmy in 2005 and he couldn't have been nicer. One of my favorite photos is of me and him giving the camera the finger.

RIP to an absolute true rock'n'roll legend.

Date: December 29, 2015 04:34

To all my fellow Stones fan: just remember how damned lucky we are that the band we all love has been blessed with relatively good health as they enter the middle of their eighth decades.

Given all the musical legends we've lost over the years, we're truly lucky to have all current and former Stones (sans Brian) alive and healthy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 04:35 by keefriff99.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: December 29, 2015 04:43

R.I.P.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 29, 2015 04:57

keefriff99
To all my fellow Stones fan: just remember how damned lucky we are that the band we all love has been blessed with relatively good health as they enter the middle of their eighth decades.

Given all the musical legends we've lost over the years, we're truly lucky to have all current and former Stones (sans Brian) alive and healthy.

thumbs up

Very sad about Lemmy. Not too surprising, but it kind of caught me off guard - I'm still mourning the loss of Meadowlark Lemon who also died today...

I was able to see Motorhead for the first time finally about two years ago at Club Nokia in L.A.
I knew it would be an out of control crowd in GA floor, so with my bad knee I opted for a first row balcony seat to hover directly over the mayhem.
I sat back, put my feet on the rails, drank shitloads of beer, and watched total chaos down below as Motorhead blasted off.
Mosh pits, punches being thrown, bouncers being dickheads, and Lemmy....
While a bit feeble, he still was in control - standing there like a general leading the troops through armageddon.
He even brought Slash onstage to accompany the assault for Ace of Spades and Overkill.
As the smoke rose and the dust finally settled, I left the show knowing I had just witnessed something very intense and agressive.
There aren't many (or really any) other bands that are as genuinely heavy as Motorhead was - they took no prisoners...legends.

edit: Just found this review of the Club Nokia show:

Motorhead/Club Nokia

After canceling show dates when iconic vocalist and bassist Lemmy Kilmister battled health issues last year, Motörhead is picking up speed again with select tour spots in light of his recovery and their 21st studio album “Aftershock” released late 2013. The band’s fast and loud return to the stage happened at a sold-out Club Nokia on Friday, April 11 in Los Angeles, Calif., two days before playing Coachella.

The dark and intimate Club Nokia, which hosted many past Motörhead gigs, seemed to recharge many new and old Motörhead traditions such as song selection, vicious mosh pits, strippers on stage right and Lemmy’s famous opener (which he actually closed the show with), “We are Motörhead, and we play rock n’ roll.” Their songs’ intense movement penetrated everything that was previously still.

Ironically after Kilmister’s recent health scare, the band opened with “I Know How to Die,” coupled with the mass forced entrance of fans from the back of the venue to the front of the stage that belittled efforts of Club Nokia security. Special guests stood straight and caged up in the balcony as the multigenerational mob of fans swallowed the main floor, erupting in circle pits in every corner.

Motörhead’s setlist included favorites such as “Damage Case,” “Metropolis” and “Killed by Death;” drummer Mikkey Dee performed a mid-length solo relentlessly whipping his hair in sync with the crowd; guitarist Phil Campbell mesmerized the crowd during his solo with his guitar that conducted a green-dragon illumination.

Slash made a special appearance at the closing of the show to perform “Ace of Spades” and “Overkill” with the trio. “Ace of Spades” sounded a bit off in several sections and was slightly slower than usual. The most recognizable Motörhead song with Slash’s extra six-string still drew up cell phones attempting to capture a photo or video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 05:09 by Hairball.

Date: December 29, 2015 05:43

completed devastated. lucky i got to see them around 2010 and funny dio was the headliner with sabbath

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: December 29, 2015 05:49

I just read the news Im very shocked to read this.

RIP Lemmy

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: December 29, 2015 06:04

Saw Motorhead 3 times back in the early days, with Fast Eddie and Philthy Animal (RIP). Whether you were a rocker a punk, whatever, you couldn't fail to love those guys, the loudness and the attitude was true rock and roll.
The word legend is bandied about a lot but Lemmy truly deserved the title.
The world lost a great character today.

Date: December 29, 2015 06:33

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 29, 2015 07:00

In 42 years of going to rock shows (more than 1,000 shows), Motorhead is the loudest thing I've seen. In some parts of the room, the double kick drums felt like body punches. I'd be sore the next day.

Maybe Lemmy can finally teach Sid Vicious to play bass. He tried unsuccessfully when Sid first joined The Sex Pistols.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 07:17 by ab.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 07:07

Heartbreaking

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 07:56

A Legend. RIP Lemmysad smiley

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 29, 2015 08:12

i put together some cool lemmy- pictures for our newssite:

[blog.tagesanzeiger.ch]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 08:13 by guitarbastard.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 29, 2015 08:42

Shocking News! He played in Stockholm just a couple of weeks ago...

R.I.P. Lemmy!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 09:23

WE ARE MOTORHEAD AND WE PLAY ROCK AND ROLL!!

Lemmy's intro to Motorhead shows. Saw them in March 82 at the Kerrisdale Arena in Vancouver, their first show after Fast Eddie left the band a couple weeks prior. They did an autograph session at Kelly's record store downtown that day and no one knew who the red headed guy was with Lemmy and Philthy Animal. I remember they played Hoochi Koochie Man during the show. This was the Iron Fist tour and the stage was the same as the cover of No Sleep Til Hammersmith.

R.I.P.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 09:56

never been a fan of motorhead, but always had a lot of respect for his integrity and consistency

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 10:05

R.I.P. Lemmy

Date: December 29, 2015 10:18

So sad! RIP, Lemmy. Her's one of the last shows he did, with finnish rocker Michael Monroe in Finland.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 29, 2015 11:25

Great band, and one of the greatest frontman ever. A very admirable man.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 29, 2015 12:02

I've seen Lemmy with Motörhead in 1995 in a really good loud rock 'n' roll concert. It was also my concert #200.

RIP Lemmy Kilmister

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: December 29, 2015 12:52

That's so sad news. I'll play Ace of Spades on full blast to honor Lemmy.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home