Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Skiffle
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: December 28, 2015 19:35

I've been reading Peter Blake's book on the Who "Pretend You're in a War" and he mentions skiffle, which is the first truly British music (if not derived from American folk, country and blues). Blake makes the point that every British act in the 60's (Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, etc) started by playing "skiffle". It's interesting because skiffle appears to have existed for only a brief period (maybe popular for like two years), but yet had a profound and lasting effect on music. I might go so far as to say Lonnie Donnegan's version of "Rock Island Line" might be one of the most influential songs in music, if only because of of the people it inspired to pick up a guitar and play. So what are people's thoughts on what is now a relatively obscure music form and what are some good skiffle compilations (as an American I'm really only familiar with Rock Island Line, even though I know Jagger and Richards, Lennon and McCartney, Townshend, the Davies brothers, Clapton, Page and others were listening to far more than that).

Re: Skiffle
Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 29, 2015 01:44

Did'nt Jimmy Page actually appear on a British TV show and play Some Skiffle when he was a young teen? I could be mixed up

Posted by: jaggered1 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 02:48

I highly recommend "The Skiffle Sessions - Live In Belfast" Van Morrison,Lonnie Donegan,DrJohn & Chris Barber.
A fantastic foot tapping album.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 29, 2015 02:59

Don't forget Lonnie's big US hit: Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On the Bedpost Overnight. #5 on Billboard in 1961. Skiffle is fun, but I've found that a little goes a long way. After a while it all starts to sound the same. Lonnie did a great disc with Van Morrison: The Skiffle Sessions. Recorded live in Belfast in 1998. Dr John plays on couple of tracks. They do a bunch of the old songs and sound like they're having a blast!

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:05

jaggered1
I highly recommend "The Skiffle Sessions - Live In Belfast" Van Morrison,Lonnie Donegan,DrJohn & Chris Barber.
A fantastic foot tapping album.

Well jaggered1 beat me to it but, yeah! And may I add that this disc does not suffer from the repetetive-ness of the old guitar/washboard/tub bass records. Great stuff from beginning to end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 03:21 by TheBadRabbit.

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:10

virgil
Did'nt Jimmy Page actually appear on a British TV show and play Some Skiffle when he was a young teen? I could be mixed up

You recall correctly.

Here's the video:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 30, 2015 04:37

KindaBlue
virgil

You recall correctly.

Here's the video:

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks kindaBlue, cool to see

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 30, 2015 10:18

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 30, 2015 14:02

^^^ Is that John Lennon?

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 30, 2015 14:35

I believe (possibly incorrectly) that while Elvis and the like were extremely important to the soon to be British musicians, things like electric guitar were out of the question.
Skiffle was cheap(ish) and close enough to rock n roll to get all these musicians up and running.
The first truly great British "Beat Group" were Cliff Richard and The Drifters (later known as The Shadows) all of whom had started in skiffle.
Rock Island Line was certainly an essential record.
Move It by Cliff Richard and The Drifters (released summer 1958) is probably the moment that electric instruments on a credible self composed British rock n roll record happen for the first time.
The band continued with several more tunes composed by band member Ian Samwell

By 1959 , Cliff and The Drifters were a household names in the UK and skiffle was pretty much dead music walking. All the young musicians who had been in skiffle bands now wanted to be like the Shadows - Hank Marvin - the first young British electric guitar hero. Ask anyone who was in a band post 1960.... and he started in skiffle. The Shadows/Drifters showed British musicians that the music of Elvis, Jerry Lee,Chuck,Buddy Holly,Everlys etc. was do-able.
No skiffle, no Cliff, no Cliff, no Shadows
no Shadows, No Beatles...no Beatles, well there wouldn't be a Stones forum/message board would there ?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 30, 2015 15:19

Koen
^^^ Is that John Lennon?

Indeed it is, 1957 if memory serves.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 30, 2015 15:25

ROLLINGSTONE
Koen
^^^ Is that John Lennon?

Yep, July 6 at Woolton village fete.

[www.beatlesbible.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-30 15:28 by Deltics.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 30, 2015 17:07

Happy Jack
skiffle, which is the first truly British music (if not derived from American folk, country and blues).

And American skiffle. It was a skiffle revival in the UK, not the invention of it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 30, 2015 17:26

ash
I believe (possibly incorrectly) that while Elvis and the like were extremely important to the soon to be British musicians, things like electric guitar were out of the question.
Skiffle was cheap(ish) and close enough to rock n roll to get all these musicians up and running.
The first truly great British "Beat Group" were Cliff Richard and The Drifters (later known as The Shadows) all of whom had started in skiffle.
Rock Island Line was certainly an essential record.
Move It by Cliff Richard and The Drifters (released summer 1958) is probably the moment that electric instruments on a credible self composed British rock n roll record happen for the first time.
The band continued with several more tunes composed by band member Ian Samwell

By 1959 , Cliff and The Drifters were a household names in the UK and skiffle was pretty much dead music walking. All the young musicians who had been in skiffle bands now wanted to be like the Shadows - Hank Marvin - the first young British electric guitar hero. Ask anyone who was in a band post 1960.... and he started in skiffle. The Shadows/Drifters showed British musicians that the music of Elvis, Jerry Lee,Chuck,Buddy Holly,Everlys etc. was do-able.
No skiffle, no Cliff, no Cliff, no Shadows
no Shadows, No Beatles...no Beatles, well there wouldn't be a Stones forum/message board would there ?

“George Harrison once said, ‘No Lead Belly, no Lonnie Donegan. Therefore no Lead Belly, no Beatles,”’ said John Reynolds, author of “Lead Belly: A Life in Pictures.”

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: December 30, 2015 17:48

ROLLINGSTONE
Koen
^^^ Is that John Lennon?

It's the same picture as the one used on the cover of the book, "The Day John Met Paul."

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 30, 2015 20:38

I think skiffle pre-dates the Stones, somewhat. Bill being the exception, perhaps. It was very much a 1950's phenomenon and, surely, bypassed Mick and Keith. This is in no way to suggest they were unaware of the 'genre', but surely by the time of their early forays into serious musicianship, the longings to perform Rock Island Line on a washboard had passed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-30 20:40 by Big Al.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home