Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Under The Radar
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 15, 2019 02:00

Still a ‘10’ song on a fresh listen now free utube rin tin tinny and all
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 15, 2019 03:26

Love it too bad it didn’t make it to ABB.... the “Huh” slays me too...and it’s the closest Jaggers gotten to his grunting days in decades.... yeah the Jagger we miss....

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:41

One wants to like this song because it sounds unmistakably and pleasantly Stonesy but the critical listeners among us will inevitably despair that it sounds a little like this or a lot like that i.e., Child of the Moon etc...vastly superior songs they wrote in their heyday. No more chords or tunings left to explore – it’s gotten old.

The other problem with this song is grammatical, believe it or not. Most good songs have titles that are propelled by verbs and/or nouns – in this song, Mick, bizarrely, gives undue emphasis to an adverb. No matter how menacing he tries to sound the phrase ‘under the radar’ simply has no impact – it doesn’t deserve to be emphasized. Would feel silly chanting that at a concert that’s for sure…But God help him he was clearly determined to build a song around this trite expression.

Date: April 15, 2019 11:51

I understand why the "Child of the Moon" name creeps into discussion about this song, but IMO we could just as easily reference "Gomper" or "Wild Horses". It has nothing to do with COTM. There is the obvious sus 4 chord thing, but Keith uses that on just about every song he has ever written. Radar seems to be a Jagger song, so he will use that type of chord differently. Lyrically, and attitude wise it is far removed from 'Child of the Moon".

And I don't quite agree with Swayed and the grammatical explanation. winking smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 15, 2019 18:07

osted by: Palace Revolution 2000 ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:51

I understand why the "Child of the Moon" name creeps into discussion about this song, but IMO we could just as easily reference "Gomper" or "Wild Horses". It has nothing to do with COTM. There is the obvious sus 4 chord thing, but Keith uses that on just about every song he has ever written. Radar seems to be a Jagger song, so he will use that type of chord differently. Lyrically, and attitude wise it is far removed from 'Child of the Moon".

And I don't quite agree with Swayed and the grammatical explanation.

I wish Keith could of used more different guitar chords then open tunings and sus 4th chord,he was always a great acoustic player, wish he would of tried to play more interesting chords in standard tuning throw in some Steely Dan chords where you add the bass note to the major chords it would of been interesting to see what he could of done with more of those jazzy chords.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 15, 2019 20:33

Isn't "Under The Radar" a prepositional phrase?

Date: April 16, 2019 01:24

“‘under the radar’ simply has no impact”
Maybe it is trying to be subtle/ under the radar...
“Would feel silly chanting that at a concert that’s for sure…But God help him he was clearly determined to build a song around this trite expression.”
and ‘fvck a star, fvck a star, fvck a star’ is easier?

Date: April 16, 2019 05:30

This link, turned up loud:
[m.youtube.com]
Menacing.

Date: April 16, 2019 07:38

Elmo Lewis
Isn't "Under The Radar" a prepositional phrase?

Hmmm…I thought it was an adverbial phrase but called it an adverb for the sake of simplicity; however, you may be right. But in any case it makes no difference - my point is solid even if my grammar isn’t.

Date: April 16, 2019 07:39

35love

Yeah I actually agree. Mick could sing ‘subtly’ instead of ‘under the radar’ and song wouldn’t be any less stupid. That's my point.

Date: April 16, 2019 07:49

Swayed1967
35love

Yeah I actually agree. Mick could sing ‘subtly’ instead of ‘under the radar’ and song wouldn’t be any less stupid. That's my point.

Huh. I think he’s singing it with sincere swagger. And the guitars are fierce.
ETA: Sway1967, maybe you’re the person who quite mistakenly buried it on an unheard ‘B’ side... ;-). Kidding. But sometimes I wonder who PICKS?????
lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-16 07:57 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2019 19:57

I always enjoyed this tune from the latter era c.2005 despite it being derivative - in fact I like it better than anything else on ABB, and it would have sounded great live.
But for whatever reason, Keith and/or Mick must have disliked it enough to keep it off the album and relegate it to the "special edition" - a shame as it would have been the saving grace imo.
Maybe they could have included it on Honk, but again they must dislike it and would rather forget about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-16 20:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: April 16, 2019 21:33

I'm in the minority here, this song never did anything for me. I think it'd be a good song for another group, but as a Stones song, it's rather weak. To me, there's no substance in it. It feels like a song that was left unfinished. Maybe that's why it was left off of the original version of A BIGGER BANG.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 17, 2019 01:09

I had to listen to known what song it was....that means that I was not impressed then and now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2019 02:18

It's a blazzzzing piece of Stones noise ….
Hidden away and deadlier that a Stealth Drone....
Mick strikes with a subtle put-down that scars the victim forever …..

You've been my jewel
I've been your fool
All along
What will you do
What will you do
When I'm gone?...………….

Noise wise woulda made a great B-side to Doom & Gloom …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2019 06:48

HUH....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 17, 2019 13:21

Under the Radar and Don't Wanna Go Home drag on too long like many outtakes. I like the edited versions on Loose Tracks. The short version of Don't Wanna Go Home rocks!

Glad to have them. I've spent some time enjoying them.

Posted by: 3ddie ()
Date: June 18, 2023 00:43

Just discovered this song a few days ago - saw/heard it on Stones Data. Found out I have it on the 12 CD-Set "The White Master Box".
Really like it. It reminds me more of The Beatles' Rain than COTM - as many wrote here before. It's not their best but it's a nice addition to the deep tracks.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1300
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home