Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Under The Radar
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 4, 2019 14:20

A terrific song! No reconfigured 10-11 track version of "A Bigger Bang"is complete without it. I'd love to hear it live.

Re: Track Talk: Under The Radar (New)
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 4, 2019 16:34

Blueranger
My opinion has changed over the years.
When it was released, I found it great and even thought it was better than some of the other album tracks. Today I find it boring and totally by-numbers.

It's a 'hipster'-track, which means that it's one of those obscure tracks that's popular to like among certain people, just because it's not included on the album.

I agree

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: January 4, 2019 19:10

I like the song, it's still in the top two hundred of my favourite Stones tracks winking smiley

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Date: January 4, 2019 23:10

Unfortunately, whole A Bigger Bang is overproduced and digitally overedited. I would love to hear majority of the songs in this album at the original studio recording - mixed, but not overedited and made artificial sound. First 4 songs on the record are typical in this area.Also e.g. Driving too fast - great song, but totally overproduced sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-04 23:11 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 4, 2019 23:30

Here's a couple:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 4, 2019 23:33

This is one of my favorite Stones songs!

Date: January 5, 2019 06:32

Rocky Dijon
Here's a couple:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Might be listening bias but sounds better to me that edited digital sound on the album.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 5, 2019 07:54

That's why I shared them. If they're not all on Youtube, a search or request at the Hot Stuff section of the board will turn up the ones Nico indicates below:

[nzentgraf.de]

050606A 6th - 28th June: Los Angeles, Ocean Way Recording Studios
Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. Overdubbing and
mixing of the upcoming studio album 'A Bigger Bang'
- Biggest Mistake I (MJ/KR) -early mix, longer than released version
- Dangerous Beauty I (MJ/KR) -early mix 1, longer than released version
- Dangerous Beauty II (MJ/KR) -early mix 2, longer than released version
- Driving Too Fast I (MJ/KR) -early mix, longer than released version
- Don't Wanna Go Home I (MJ/KR) -early mix 1, longer than released version
- Don't Wanna Go Home II (MJ/KR) -early mix 2, longer than released version
- Don't Wanna Go Home III (MJ/KR) -early mix 3, longer than released version
- It Won’t Take Long I (MJ/KR) -early mix 1, longer than released version
- It Won’t Take Long II (MJ/KR) -early mix 2, longer than released version
- Let Me Down Slow I (MJ/KR) -early mix 1, very close to the finished track
- Let Me Down Slow II (MJ/KR) -early mix 2, very close to the finished track
- She Saw Me Coming I (MJ/KR) -early mix, longer than released version
- Streets Of Love I (MJ/KR) -early mix, very close to the finished track
- Under The Radar I (MJ/KR) -early mix, longer than released version

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-05 07:55 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 5, 2019 09:15

I swear I’m not a rude or violent person in real life but if I were arrested while choking Don Was and screaming Jimmy Miller! And get a clue you fvckng loser! and the jury were made up of iorr members at my trial the verdict would be what?
Just kidding ,but for fcks sake bro you can’t make a real Stones record out of that shit? The good news is these guys can still flat out play.
My god man is there someone,anyone who can please fire all these D listers around this band and help them get back to where they belong.

Date: January 5, 2019 16:26

lem motlow
I swear I’m not a rude or violent person in real life but if I were arrested while choking Don Was and screaming Jimmy Miller! And get a clue you fvckng loser! and the jury were made up of iorr members at my trial the verdict would be what?
Just kidding ,but for fcks sake bro you can’t make a real Stones record out of that shit? The good news is these guys can still flat out play.
My god man is there someone,anyone who can please fire all these D listers around this band and help them get back to where they belong.

hahaha! thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 5, 2019 18:14

jumpingjackflash5
Unfortunately, whole A Bigger Bang is overproduced and digitally overedited. I would love to hear majority of the songs in this album at the original studio recording - mixed, but not overedited and made artificial sound. First 4 songs on the record are typical in this area.Also e.g. Driving too fast - great song, but totally overproduced sound.

Such a boot exists and it IS terrific. I had it, lost it and am trying to find it again.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 5, 2019 18:30

fab song...should have replaced about 4 or 5 songs on ABB and have us left with a tigher, shorter album.

Could probably spent a bit more time developing the song though, but best psychedelic since Moonlight Mile.

Date: January 6, 2019 03:40

rbk
jumpingjackflash5

Such a boot exists and it IS terrific. I had it, lost it and am trying to find it again.
I'd love to hear this boot... let us know if you find it please!

Date: January 6, 2019 15:17

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
rbk
jumpingjackflash5

NeverSaint, the only boot I know of non final ABB cuts is the SODD or the Idol Mind boot called "Early Mixes" or "Beta Mixes" respectively. Both in excellent quality. On some cuts you hear quite a difference; on others it may be only a matter of mastering. These are not radical early rough versions.

PSMyself I would love to hear some rough sessions of "Babylon" album. They are most likely not around because that album was so scattered and recorded in all kinds of settings, line-ups, producers etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-06 15:18 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: January 7, 2019 13:41

Thanks for alterative recordings.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2019 16:21

Almost a very good song. Had they spent more time working on the bridge, it could have been something special.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 7, 2019 18:25

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
HMS
One of the best songs the ABB-sessions have produced. It´s a pity that it isnt on the album. Very good song indeed and Mick´s vocal performance is outstanding brilliant. Who says the Stones havent written a great song in decades? Listen to THIS. Under The Radar is perfect, a real treat.

The «original» (Child Of The Moon) was written in 1968, though...

same as saying JJF rips off Satisfaction.

I still remember when the new song JJF was discussed by "experts" way back in 1968. The saying was: "it was a copy of Satisfaction and so the Stones had lost their creativity and would be washed from the musical scene soon". So much about "experts" ....
smileys with beer

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2019 19:43

Palace Revolution 2000
NeverMakeASaintOfMe
rbk
jumpingjackflash5

NeverSaint, the only boot I know of non final ABB cuts is the SODD or the Idol Mind boot called "Early Mixes" or "Beta Mixes" respectively. Both in excellent quality. On some cuts you hear quite a difference; on others it may be only a matter of mastering. These are not radical early rough versions.

They're merely different edits/mixes of the released versions. And they only exist as mp3 sourced files. I circulated them after I got them from a guy on soulseek who was working at Sterling Sound Studios (?) where the album was being mastered and who made a copy for himself. He had no idea that they had never circulated until I told him - unfortunately he lost the lossless files in a hard disk crash, but had managed to save mp3 copies.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 7, 2019 23:49

georgie48

I still remember when the new song JJF was discussed by "experts" way back in 1968. The saying was: "it was a copy of Satisfaction and so the Stones had lost their creativity and would be washed from the musical scene soon". So much about "experts" ....
smileys with beer

Those "experts" should have noted that "Let's Spend The Night Together" was already a "Satisfaction" rip off... The guitar riff was just replicated by a piano (who they were thinking fooling with it?)... And lyrically it was just a cheap caricature of the original...

The creative downhill was already so obvious those days...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-07 23:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: January 8, 2019 00:31

WHAT!! This is a Stones fan website right?? So what is up with all the negative comments and being unappreciative for this masterpiece of a Stones song is beyond me. There is NO comparison to anything the Stones ever recorded regarding this song! Are we hearing the same song here people and fellow Stones enthusiasts? Now I could understand criticising something substandard and incomplete like say Blood Red Wine but this song is the bomb! And in my opinion probably the heaviest and best song of the Ronnie Wood era. Sorry to ruffle anyone's feathers but I LOVE the Stones and Under the Radar is kick ass! I do respect other opinions so I just wanted to show mine. If it doesn't sound good then get a better sound system and turn it up!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 8, 2019 01:52

Excellent song that should have been on ABB .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2019 01:59

Rocky Dijon
I like it enough, but don't think it's amazing or anything. There are B-sides I truly love or at least genuinely like, I'd place it among those (Through the Lonely Nights, Everything is Turning to Gold, Think I'm Going Mad, Fancy Man Blues, Wish I'd Never Met You, The Storm, So Young, Jump on Top of Me, Anyway You Look At It) and then there are ones that sound like filler to me (Cook Cook Blues, I'm Gonna Drive, We Don't Wanna Go Home, Hurricane).

That said, I put all three bonus tracks on my A BIGGER BANG CDR and re-sequence the album. While I have varied reactions to the songs, I'd rather have 19 tracks than 16 and it clocks in under 80 minutes. Mission accomplished.

Cook Cook and I'm Gonna Drive at least have some good playing, Cook Cook especially - a track recorded for UNDERCOVER even! I love listening to Ronnie's slide work and the wonky cadence of it.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 8, 2019 02:59

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon
I like it enough, but don't think it's amazing or anything. There are B-sides I truly love or at least genuinely like, I'd place it among those (Through the Lonely Nights, Everything is Turning to Gold, Think I'm Going Mad, Fancy Man Blues, Wish I'd Never Met You, The Storm, So Young, Jump on Top of Me, Anyway You Look At It) and then there are ones that sound like filler to me (Cook Cook Blues, I'm Gonna Drive, We Don't Wanna Go Home, Hurricane).

That said, I put all three bonus tracks on my A BIGGER BANG CDR and re-sequence the album. While I have varied reactions to the songs, I'd rather have 19 tracks than 16 and it clocks in under 80 minutes. Mission accomplished.

Cook Cook and I'm Gonna Drive at least have some good playing, Cook Cook especially - a track recorded for UNDERCOVER even! I love listening to Ronnie's slide work and the wonky cadence of it.

A ‘B’ side record release/ drop/ stream
Yes, I want it, have them all in 1 place, make sure I have them all...good idea.

Date: April 14, 2019 14:18

Was driving through the city at night with this song blaring, and am thinking "My God, why did they leave this off the album? I think Jagger is always thinking about the live arena. How will this song translate to a live stage? Maybe that is why they left it off.
I had been listening to rough mixes from ABB. They are slightly better IMO. But - that is a lousy album. And I finally have to agree with most here: "Streets of Love" really bites the big one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2019 14:23

You've been my jewel
I've been your fool
All along
What will you do?
What will you do
When I'm gone?
.............. S.A.G

Mick in this part of Radar always slays me .....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2019 14:29

Rockman
You've been my jewel
I've been your fool
All along
What will you do?
What will you do
When I'm gone?
.............. S.A.G

Mick in this part of Radar always slays me .....

The "Huh" slays me.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 14, 2019 15:21

Everyone delving into a Stones song like they are William Shakespeare! For Christ sake it is music and its subjective if your ears like it great if they don't they don't. I think its a good song. It's not a classic but why compare it with JJF or Child Of the Moon? Some think they are still that same band and they are NOT! they used to be together all the time, relate to each other and live and breathe music. They may still love music and are musicians but its not the same when you are in your early sixties, when this came out as when you are in your twenties always trying to get better rather than coming together every 4-5 years trying to make an album. You are not going to get the same results. That said I fall into the like camp on Under the Radar.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 15, 2019 00:14

ABB overproduced???????

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2019 00:24

Yeah Palace that "huh" is way cool ….
Always lurv the way Mick tosses those
little vocal jabs inta songs ………

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 15, 2019 00:39

Great tune that should have been on a Bigger Bang.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home