Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Under The Radar (New)
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 28, 2015 22:42

mr_dja
NICOS
To tell you the truth normally I listen to a song before I post one....this time not because I was to busy......I know I ones listen to this song bit I can't remember one note........this afternoon I will give it a spin

I wouldn't recommend getting your hopes to high...

I never went out and got A Bigger Bang Deluxe... I'm pretty sure I never heard the song before today... After reading some of the posts above, I did a search on youtube... I pressed pause at 1:28 and haven't felt the need to finish the song though there is a chance as it's still there in the browser window... Safe to say I'm falling on the side of the discussion which feels there's not much special in the tune... Glad others like it though!

Peace,
Mr DJA

My hopes already gone long time ago confused smiley Yes I remember the song and the comparison with ChildOTM, compare what they released on ABB it ain't that bad at least Mick sounds like Mick, this song and nine others would make ABB much better........

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 29, 2015 00:16

Besides the really lame bridge this song is pretty cool, imo. A nice surprise with some fun sounding guitars and cool vocals really. The snare is a bit too out front and the mix needs to be muddied up a bit to give it that classic Stones sound but over all this one is not bad. Pretty straight ahead rock and roll, not complexly developed like the best of their material but it's a fun listen.

I certainly would have included it over some of the other selections on the record.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 29, 2015 02:20

It might not matter, but in the lyrics, I believe Mick sings "you need protection from this kind of ape" not "ache."

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:11

NICOS
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Under The Radar

Written by: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards

Recording date: August 2004-June 2005
Recording location: La Fourchette, Posé sur Cisse, France & Los Angeles, USA

Line up:
Vocals: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Keith Richards & Mick Jagger
Slide electric guitar: Ron Wood
Bass: Darryl Jones
Drums: Charlie Watts

Under The Radar

You say you want me
And then you taunt me
Try to reform me
You drive me crazy

All engines screaming
And all your guns ablaze

You changed your number
You try to bait me
I phoned your mother, yes
She tried to date me
And now I'm sneaking
Under the radar
And now I'm creeping
Under your nose

I saw your boyfriend
He's rich and smarmy
He said he'll kill me
Yeah, but where's his army?

You need protection
From this kind of ache, yeah

But (And) I'll come sneaking
Under the radar, yeah
And I'll come creeping
Under your nose

Yeah

You've been my jewel
I've been your fool
All along
What will you do?
What will you do
When I'm gone?

And I'll come sneaking
Under the radar
And I'll be reeking
Just like a rose

Yeah, under the radar

Come on

Producer: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins
Sound engineer: .......

First released: 'A Bigger Bang (Special Edition)
Release date: 18th November:2005
Label: Virgin Records CDVX 3012

SHould have replaced the dreadful Neo Con and then you got an album!!! Assuming they also got rid of "Look what and a few others

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:44

My opinion has changed over the years.
When it was released, I found it great and even thought it was better than some of the other album tracks. Today I find it boring and totally by-numbers.

It's a 'hipster'-track, which means that it's one of those obscure tracks that's popular to like among certain people, just because it's not included on the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-01 22:55 by Blueranger.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:44

Probably my favorite tune off of ABB....I'd love for them to play it live...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 09:46

Should have been included on the album. Also, Your Precious Love should have been on Steel Wheels or at least a B side to one of the singles!

Re: Track Talk: Under The Radar
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 1, 2016 15:04

This one is big. Full of swagger. It should have made the album, even if that would mean an even longer album. After all, these days albums are just vehicles for people to cherry-pick songs from, and that's what I, too, love doing. One of the 5 best songs from those sessions.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2016 22:20

You've been my jewel
I've been your fool
All along
What will you do?
What will you do
When I'm gone?

.....This part always knocks me around ... Thanks Mick ...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-01 22:37 by Rockman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 1, 2016 22:30

A decent track that should've taken the place of ONNYA, Sweet Neo Con and Streets Of Love. 1 decent tune for 3 horrible tunes? Sure.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 1, 2016 22:37

...don't like it at all..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2016 02:35

Rockman
You've been my jewel
I've been your fool
All along
What will you do?
What will you do
When I'm gone?

.....This part always knocks me around ... Thanks Mick ...

i dig this one, makes me smile:

I saw your boyfriend
He's rich and smarmy
He said he'll kill me
Yeah, but where's his army?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 2, 2016 02:42

I just don't get all the love for this mediocre song. It's ok as album filler or a B side to a single, but to listen to some people around here you would think it's the next Gimmie Shelter

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 2, 2016 12:28

The next Gimme Shelter it isn´t. It´s not the next One Hit To Body, too.

But it is far more interesting than a couple of songs that are on the ABB-album. Just like Highwire and Doom And Gloom it makes my Stones-juices pumping and my Stones-blood flow. I do not ask for anything more.

Btw, Sweet Neo Con is very good and so is Look What The Cat Dragged In. Never understood the majority´s dislike for these songs.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 2, 2016 14:18

Its not one of their best, great songs, but also not bad bad. Its pretty decent, and i like it.
Jeroen

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 3, 2016 00:33

It grooves more than any Bigger Bang track and should've been included on said album.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 3, 2016 13:10

I like it, but there`s a lot of good views here, both pro and con. I get a feeling I`ve heard this before, but that`s why I like it. However, I despise the fact that this is a song for hipsters. I despise the late 90s or whatever, and I despise Oasis, and I despise everything retro... As I said, we`ve heard it before and I can`t help thinking of The Who`s The Seeker, and at the end of the day, maybe it all comes from Mr. Robert Zimmermann...

Date: March 3, 2016 13:38

<we`ve heard it before>

Yep, we have...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 3, 2016 13:54

Terrible, if you have to recycle your own stuff and actually end up sounding worse. Maybe they were sleepwalking when they did it and forgot to wipe the tape the next morning.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: March 3, 2016 16:22

Rip This
Probably my favorite tune off of ABB....I'd love for them to play it live...
thissmileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 3, 2016 18:45

HMS
The next Gimme Shelter it isn´t. It´s not the next One Hit To Body, too.

But it is far more interesting than a couple of songs that are on the ABB-album. Just like Highwire and Doom And Gloom it makes my Stones-juices pumping and my Stones-blood flow. I do not ask for anything more.

Btw, Sweet Neo Con is very good and so is Look What The Cat Dragged In. Never understood the majority´s dislike for these songs.

Because Sweet Neo Con is crap, just like One Hit and Highwire are. Doom is OK but there's nothing great about it. It's more up than Don't Stop, a bit more rocking than Don't Stop, which is a rather bland song.

Under The Radar, while better than Sweet Neo Con, Streets Of Love and ONNYA, is also quite bland, it's just that it's just enough better than those tunes. Mick's bass playing is OK, it's nothing fantastic, his guitar playing is quite busy, all those jingly jangly fourths.

The tune just sits, it doesn't really do anything. It sounds like it was done simply for being a B-side, it's bizarrely pedestrian. It probably didn't make the album because Mick's vocals are flat at the end.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 3, 2016 21:38

DandelionPowderman
<we`ve heard it before>

Yep, we have...

[www.youtube.com]

You could add U2`s Angel of Harlem, the ultimate calling card for hipness:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: March 4, 2016 05:38

bobo
Love it! Should have been on the album.
Yep, should've dumped Neocon for this

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 4, 2019 01:29

Oh dear oh dear are you kidding?

Just listened for the first time, then another 3-4 times in a row.

FANTASTIC. I can’t write a review well now (or ever maybe) so I am giving it a
‘10’ out of ‘10’
Yes! A 10.
Wake up this is excellent.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: January 4, 2019 02:22

A Bigger Bang Special Edition.. I missed that one. I've never heard these tunes 'Under The Radar' and 'Don't Wanna Go Home'. Are these tracks still available anywhere or do we need to hunt down the 2005 limited edition?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 4, 2019 02:29

Under the Radar

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-04 02:30 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 4, 2019 02:31

Don't Wanna...

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 4, 2019 03:24

I like it enough, but don't think it's amazing or anything. There are B-sides I truly love or at least genuinely like, I'd place it among those (Through the Lonely Nights, Everything is Turning to Gold, Think I'm Going Mad, Fancy Man Blues, Wish I'd Never Met You, The Storm, So Young, Jump on Top of Me, Anyway You Look At It) and then there are ones that sound like filler to me (Cook Cook Blues, I'm Gonna Drive, We Don't Wanna Go Home, Hurricane).

That said, I put all three bonus tracks on my A BIGGER BANG CDR and re-sequence the album. While I have varied reactions to the songs, I'd rather have 19 tracks than 16 and it clocks in under 80 minutes. Mission accomplished.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-04 03:25 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 4, 2019 03:26

Here, try it again. With good headphones. Can’t buy the tune from Apple and it’s not on Spotify but here:
[m.youtube.com]

Date: January 4, 2019 12:20

Blueranger
My opinion has changed over the years.
When it was released, I found it great and even thought it was better than some of the other album tracks. Today I find it boring and totally by-numbers.

It's a 'hipster'-track, which means that it's one of those obscure tracks that's popular to like among certain people, just because it's not included on the album.

Same here. While I don't find it 'by numbers' or boring at all, I am not all that swayed by it anymore. I think it burned bright only by comparison back then.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home