Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Track Talk: Under The Radar
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 28, 2015 12:42

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Under The Radar

Written by: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards

Recording date: August 2004-June 2005
Recording location: La Fourchette, Posé sur Cisse, France & Los Angeles, USA

Line up:
Vocals: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Keith Richards & Mick Jagger
Slide electric guitar: Ron Wood
Bass: Darryl Jones
Drums: Charlie Watts

Under The Radar

You say you want me
And then you taunt me
Try to reform me
You drive me crazy

All engines screaming
And all your guns ablaze

You changed your number
You try to bait me
I phoned your mother, yes
She tried to date me
And now I'm sneaking
Under the radar
And now I'm creeping
Under your nose

I saw your boyfriend
He's rich and smarmy
He said he'll kill me
Yeah, but where's his army?

You need protection
From this kind of ache, yeah

But (And) I'll come sneaking
Under the radar, yeah
And I'll come creeping
Under your nose

Yeah

You've been my jewel
I've been your fool
All along
What will you do?
What will you do
When I'm gone?

And I'll come sneaking
Under the radar
And I'll be reeking
Just like a rose

Yeah, under the radar

Come on

Producer: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins
Sound engineer: .......

First released: 'A Bigger Bang (Special Edition)
Release date: 18th November:2005
Label: Virgin Records CDVX 3012

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-04 11:10 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: Under The Radar (New)
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 28, 2015 12:44

Great stuff! That nasty-spittin laugh in the middle is brilliant

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 28, 2015 13:16

Oasis-by-numbers.

Date: December 28, 2015 13:21

A poor man's Child Of The Moon, but still enjoyable, I guess..

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 28, 2015 13:50

One of the best songs the ABB-sessions have produced. It´s a pity that it isnt on the album. Very good song indeed and Mick´s vocal performance is outstanding brilliant. Who says the Stones havent written a great song in decades? Listen to THIS. Under The Radar is perfect, a real treat.

Date: December 28, 2015 14:10

HMS
One of the best songs the ABB-sessions have produced. It´s a pity that it isnt on the album. Very good song indeed and Mick´s vocal performance is outstanding brilliant. Who says the Stones havent written a great song in decades? Listen to THIS. Under The Radar is perfect, a real treat.

The «original» (Child Of The Moon) was written in 1968, though...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 14:51

Sensational track that should have been on the album proper, not on the special edition.

As others say, so late 60s. They CAN still do it. The detail on the recording says they spent 10 months, obviously on and off!, recording this, so when they spend some time on it, not rush it, like on Don't Stop, they can produce Stones quality.

Oasis by numbers? THEY are The Beatles by numbers. PLEASE!!! What nonsense.

Rod

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 28, 2015 15:17

Great trak...could/should have been on original ABB....would love to see it live...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 28, 2015 15:17

Haven't hear this one for ages, and no recollections, so it felt like listening a brandnew Stones song...

Well, something positive - usually they recicle the A-side of that groundreaking 1968 single, so it is nice to hear a glimpses of B-side...

But but... pretty difficult to find a song from their catalog that is so uninspired and half-baked as this one (and there is no shortage for that from the last 30 years or so). Can sounding like the Rolling Stones be so damn dull?. Boring as hell - and I am sure they realized that as well. I can understand why it didn't make the original album - not that there was any hard competition... (they released almost anything, right)

Hearing things like this doesn't make the expectations too high for the upcoming album... (but the 'song' gives a rather good indication why they hadn't been too eager to hit the studio for ten years or so...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-28 15:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 28, 2015 15:50

Useless and boring song.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 28, 2015 16:00

smiling smiley Under the radar is a real 'Quick-fix' for a song...

2 1 2 0

Date: December 28, 2015 16:03

Doxa
Haven't hear this one for ages, and no recollections, so it felt like listening a brandnew Stones song...

Well, something positive - usually they recicle the A-side of that groundreaking 1968 single, so it is nice to hear a glimpses of B-side...

But but... pretty difficult to find a song from their catalog that is so uninspired and half-baked as this one (and there is no shortage for that from the last 30 years or so). Can sounding like the Rolling Stones be so damn dull?. Boring as hell - and I am sure they realized that as well. I can understand why it didn't make the original album - not that there was any hard competition... (they released almost anything, right)

Hearing things like this doesn't make the expectations too high for the upcoming album... (but the 'song' gives a rather good indication why they hadn't been too eager to hit the studio for ten years or so...)

- Doxa

thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 28, 2015 16:10

KRiffhard
Useless and boring song.

glad someone said it ... although I like it more than you, it's easily the most overrated song in the entire catalog, based on how many claim it as a classic.

Decent song, it fits perfectly as a 'b-side' as i call it.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 28, 2015 16:12

A glorious latter-day Stones track, and easily one of their best from the past 25 years. Those sustained, bluesy guitar chords are a thing of beauty. The lyrics are cutting and hilarious at the same time, and Jagger’s sneering vocal is delightful.

There is a drone-like quality to this song that is very special. It takes me away from all my worldly cares and sets me free. Why they decided to leave this baby off of A Bigger Bang is completely beyond me.

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-04 04:13 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 28, 2015 16:21

drewmaster
A glorious latter-day Stones track, and easily one of their best from the past 25 years. Those sustained, bluesy guitar chords are a thing of beauty. The lyrics are cutting and hilarious at the same time. Jagger’s sneering vocal is delightful.

Under the Radar takes me away from all my worldly cares and sets me free. Why they decided to leave this baby off of A Bigger Band is completely beyond me.

Drew

Plus We don't want to go Home, two numbers that should have been included. Both fun Stones rockers

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: December 28, 2015 16:26

Love it! Should have been on the album.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 28, 2015 16:26

Maindefender
drewmaster
A glorious latter-day Stones track, and easily one of their best from the past 25 years. Those sustained, bluesy guitar chords are a thing of beauty. The lyrics are cutting and hilarious at the same time. Jagger’s sneering vocal is delightful.

Under the Radar takes me away from all my worldly cares and sets me free. Why they decided to leave this baby off of A Bigger Band is completely beyond me.

Drew

Plus We don't want to go Home, two numbers that should have been included. Both fun Stones rockers

We don't want to go Home should have been included? This is where you and I must part ways, my friend.

Drew

Date: December 28, 2015 16:42

drewmaster
Maindefender
drewmaster

Drew

We don't want to go Home should have been included? This is where you and I must part ways, my friend.

Drew

Neither should have released in any form - as many of the tracks that actually made the album... But then again, that is just me, and I don't need to listen them (and I won't)...

- Doxa

Date: December 28, 2015 16:43

They (Mick) even smuggled in a Streets Of Love/Brand New Set Of Rules-sounding bridge in there smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 28, 2015 16:52

bitusa2012

Oasis by numbers? THEY are The Beatles by numbers. PLEASE!!! What nonsense.

If it makes you feel any better: let me make that Late 90's Britpop-by-numbers then...
All the same to me amigo.

BTW: since I like OASIS (you HAVE listened to all their albums, have you? Because of the 'usa' in your knickname, ànd your depriving categorisation of that band, I quite doubt that you see...), I do enjoy this "Radar" track. (I just think the middle-8 is kinda crap.)
So I didn't mean it as a put-down.
But it's nothing more, nothing less then Late 90's Britpop-by-numbers to me; whatever you may say.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2015 17:13

Doxa

- Doxa

And yet... they managed to put something worse than Under The Radar on the album, the horrendous Sweet Neo Con. One of many bad decisions by Jagger. Not amazing anymore.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 28, 2015 17:18

Doxa
drewmaster
Maindefender
drewmaster

Drew

Drew

Neither should have released in any form - as many of the tracks that actually made the album... But then again, that is just me, and I don't need to listen them (and I won't)...

- Doxa

Lol I don't know what's wrong with my ears but they both sound like nice tight Stones 21st century rockers with a nice total band feel. The background vocals tell me they had fun recording these songs...thumbs down

Date: December 28, 2015 17:33

'Rock and a hard place','Suck on the Jugular', 'Under the radar', 'Sweet Neo Con' and 'Anyway you look at it'...all songs of endlessly repeating ugliness.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 28, 2015 17:44

To tell you the truth normally I listen to a song before I post one....this time not because I was to busy......I know I ones listen to this song bit I can't remember one note........this afternoon I will give it a spin

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 28, 2015 18:48

DandelionPowderman
HMS

The «original» (Child Of The Moon) was written in 1968, though...

same as saying JJF rips off Satisfaction.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 28, 2015 18:53

NICOS
To tell you the truth normally I listen to a song before I post one....this time not because I was to busy......I know I ones listen to this song bit I can't remember one note........this afternoon I will give it a spin

I wouldn't recommend getting your hopes to high...

I never went out and got A Bigger Bang Deluxe... I'm pretty sure I never heard the song before today... After reading some of the posts above, I did a search on youtube... I pressed pause at 1:28 and haven't felt the need to finish the song though there is a chance as it's still there in the browser window... Safe to say I'm falling on the side of the discussion which feels there's not much special in the tune... Glad others like it though!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2015 19:05

mr_dja
NICOS

I never went out and got A Bigger Bang Deluxe... I'm pretty sure I never heard the song before today... After reading some of the posts above, I did a search on youtube... I pressed pause at 1:28 and haven't felt the need to finish the song though there is a chance as it's still there in the browser window... Safe to say I'm falling on the side of the discussion which feels there's not much special in the tune... Glad others like it though!

Peace,
Mr DJA

I got it. I was bored. I enjoyed the interviews and Keith's gargantuan moment of lying bullshit about liking Streets Of Love!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 28, 2015 19:34

GasLightStreet
mr_dja
NICOS

Peace,
Mr DJA

I got it. I was bored. I enjoyed the interviews and Keith's gargantuan moment of lying bullshit about liking Streets Of Love!

I think I just found that interview on YouTube... Funny how Keith couldn't make eye contact when stating he liked Streets of Love!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 28, 2015 22:11

GasLightStreet

And yet... they managed to put something worse than Under The Radar on the album, the horrendous Sweet Neo Con. One of many bad decisions by Jagger. Not amazing anymore.

haha.. But I don't know. "Sweet Neo Con", being as embarrassing, corny, twisted as it is, is one of the songs that stands stands out from the album. It has difference, uniqueness in it, no matter being a failure, wheras "Under The Radar" is totally forgettable, THe Stones being as 'by-the-numbers' they ever can be... "Neo Con" is just bad, but "Radar" just boring... And in my book better to fail big time than to be boring... That's why I would always rate some SATANIC MAJESTIES over some VOODOO LOUNGE.

Anyway, I am surprised that so many here seem to like the song rather much - and it is not one of those "me like DIRTY WORK, me hate it" -controversies this place seem to full of these days, but seemingly an issue of some actual affection. I guess it is the basic, traditional, familiar sound The Stones make there, which seem to work for Stones-trained fan ears (which surely is not any wonder). But for some reason that doesn't work at all this time for me; all I can hear is a bored band recicling - with no groove and feel - their typical cliches, musically, lyrically, performancewise. But of course, they still sound like the Stones, which, no matter the lack of inspiration, drive, point, etc, is a joy per se. Some just seem to like enjoy that impression more than I do. But for me there are lots of half-baked out-takes from, say, Pathe Marconi days, from where I get that impression, and which simply blows "Under The Radar" away.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-28 22:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 22:26

Good insights as usual Doxa! I agree. You know you listen to Under the Radar and want to like. The "cool" guitars, Jagger sounding "authentic" snarling out his lines...but it does become just a big boring halfbaked rote number. Highly produced with pro-tools, and sounding saccharine. Sweet Neo Con one of the few songs off ABB that at least flicks you on the forehead. Jagger is pissed, and sick of American political hypocracy. And I don't mind it, some cool harp, and some attitude. And he isn't singing about all the pussy he lost or wants, and all the girl issues, all the stuff about women... Jagger is trapped in a bad writing cycle, not writing about much that makes you think like You Can't Always Get What You Want thinks about life.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1198
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home