Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Anorak: Taylor's amp in Kansas City 1981
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 7, 2016 10:26

DancelittleSister
Mathijs

[www.vintageandrare.com]

Unfortunately, this is NOT a wide cabinet amp, and NOT a 15" speaker (and also does not look like a EV speaker, but I am not certain).

Mathijs

I sent another message to that dealer, just to be certain.

2016/01/05
Hi sir,
Just saw the Amp. Are you sure it's a 15" speaker, could it be a 12" looking from the back ?

Looking foreward your reply,

Hi, yes, I am very certain it's a 15" speaker!
Best
Alberto Guizzetti

Did the dealer change the pictures? The amp now is a wide cabinet with 8 knobs and 4 switches on the front.

Mathijs

Date: January 7, 2016 13:01

Naturalust
DancelittleSister
Naturalust

Although the 1981 Rolling Stones show was actually in Missouri not Kansas. Kansas City straddles the border of Missouri and Kansas and Kemper Area is on the Missouri side. smoking smiley

Shit, so it is an MK I,53 after all.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

LOL Not necessarily, but since Mathijs is considerably more knowledgeable about Stones gear than I or the Mesa Boogie rep probably is I'm willing to accept the possibility it is indeed a MKI. Perhaps some additional photos or info. will surface some day and we can make a better determination.

Just joking. We'll never find out for sure, it's too long ago. However, I would put my money on the knowledge of MB in this thread.

Date: January 7, 2016 13:04

Mathijs

Did the dealer change the pictures? The amp now is a wide cabinet with 8 knobs and 4 switches on the front.

Mathijs

Yes he did. I had my doubts about that 15" speaker. Now somebody should buy it
and tell us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 13:50 by DancelittleSister.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 7, 2016 21:39

how do you monkey with an archival photo from 34 years ago ? photo shop?

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 21:58

Mathijs
Just to note -15" speakers where not 'custom' per se. Boogie's simply could be ordered with 12 or 15" speakers, 5-band EQ, 60/100 watt switch etc. 15" speakers are very popular with pedal steel players.

Mathijs

Mesa Boogies, on the other hand, are not popular with pedal steel players! (In general - Fender and Peavey tend to be most popular)

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: January 8, 2016 11:02

Now there is this pic of a Boogie combo. I am certain this is not a MKII -Mesa Boogie's answer is not telling me anything. Yes, in 1981 MKIIB's where popular and new, but not with the Stones. They used many MKIIB's heads (the coloseum version), but I have yet to see a MKIIB combo before 1983 (when they starting to use new combo's). They had half a dozen MKI's, and they used them all while practicing and warming up back stage. No MKII's. And again, all amps ever ordered by the Stones had reverb and EQ.

I am still a bit baffled by the fact that the amp s not miced. This normally means the amp is used as a monitor, something they did in 1975 with Charlie (a Fender Twin). It could mean the combo is not used buy Taylor, but that Taylor indeed is playing one of the spare Coloseum heads, and that would than be spare for Wood.

Mathijs[/quote]

MKIIb Coliseums didn't have reverb in 1981 tour. You can quite clearly see back panel of those amps in LSTNT Blu-Ray, while beginning of UMT. There's just a blank space.. And it's not in the front panel neither.

Date: January 8, 2016 13:36

AllAboutYours

MKIIb Coliseums didn't have reverb in 1981 tour. You can quite clearly see back panel of those amps in LSTNT Blu-Ray, while beginning of UMT. There's just a blank space.. And it's not in the front panel neither.

Thanks for the info AAY. So the reverb was optional for these MKIIb Coliseums, but not ordered by the Stones? That makes it likely the same goes for that posted (possible) MKII then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 13:43 by DancelittleSister.

Date: January 8, 2016 14:47

Yes, both reverb and eq were optional. I think they didn't need guitar amps with reverb for stadium tour but that is just guessing.. There exist multiple different versions of these amps. Different speakers, different color etc. I own the most basic version of MKIIb; no eq or reverb.

DancelittleSister
[quote=AllAboutYours

Thanks for the info AAY. So the reverb was optional for these MKIIb Coliseums, but not ordered by the Stones? That makes it likely the same goes for that posted (possible) MKII then.[/quote]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 14:54 by AllAboutYours.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 9, 2016 00:49

Mathijs

Did the dealer change the pictures?

Mathijs

I heard the dealer was squealing?

winking smiley

Date: January 11, 2016 12:31

AllAboutYours
Now there is this pic of a Boogie combo. I am certain this is not a MKII -Mesa Boogie's answer is not telling me anything. Yes, in 1981 MKIIB's where popular and new, but not with the Stones. They used many MKIIB's heads (the coloseum version), but I have yet to see a MKIIB combo before 1983 (when they starting to use new combo's). They had half a dozen MKI's, and they used them all while practicing and warming up back stage. No MKII's. And again, all amps ever ordered by the Stones had reverb and EQ.

I am still a bit baffled by the fact that the amp s not miced. This normally means the amp is used as a monitor, something they did in 1975 with Charlie (a Fender Twin). It could mean the combo is not used buy Taylor, but that Taylor indeed is playing one of the spare Coloseum heads, and that would than be spare for Wood.

Mathijs

MKIIb Coliseums didn't have reverb in 1981 tour. You can quite clearly see back panel of those amps in LSTNT Blu-Ray, while beginning of UMT. There's just a blank space.. And it's not in the front panel neither.[/quote]

Can you make a screen shot? As far as I know the Coloseum's the Stones used (and WOod used until 1995) where standard MKIIB coloseum, 8 knobs, 4 switches, Reverb and EQ.

Mathijs

Date: January 13, 2016 10:07

Here we go. The conclusion I made was it ain't have reverb but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Backpanel of Keith's amp looks just like mine. US model and no reverb. And I assumed that 8th knob in the front is presence.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 10:10 by AllAboutYours.

Date: January 13, 2016 10:40

WHy couldn't it have been reverb on the front panel, like Mathijs's pic above? Did you assume it because you thought it was the same model as yours, or is there something else I'm missing here?

Date: January 13, 2016 12:29

AllAboutYours
Here we go. The conclusion I made was it ain't have reverb but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Backpanel of Keith's amp looks just like mine. US model and no reverb. And I assumed that 8th knob in the front is presence.

Nice shots!

To be honest, I can't see anything on the first picture. You see they have removed the back panel, probably to ease the access to the tubes when one blows throughout the show. On the bottom of the amps there should be a reverb tank, wrapped in black vinyl. Here's a pic of the back of a 1982 Coliseum with reverb. The reverb is behind the power chord, but you can hardly see it:

But it does make sense though, to have an amp without the reverb, as you would normally prefer to have a dry amp on stage, and let the monitor and PA mixer add the reverb. That's how Keith's sound is since 1989.

What is interesting though is the second amp from the right, the one in hard wood: that looks very much like a bass version of the Coliseum head. This means that one of the reasons Wyman sounded so clear and upfront on the 1981 tour was because he was using the Boogie, and not the Ampeg.

I am curious -can you see that Keith is plugged in into the amp on the left, and can you seen Wyman being plugged in in the hard wood amp? Meaning, do you see a jack going into the front of the amp?

Mathijs

Date: January 13, 2016 12:36

Date: January 13, 2016 14:00

DandelionPowderman

Thanks. But you can't see whether they are plugged in to the front of the amp, or that the input is routed to the back.

Ps all the switches on Keith's amp seem to be in the up position, meaning EQ On, Full Power.

Mathijs

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 12:10 by Mathijs.

Date: January 13, 2016 15:10

Just been peaking real close -that hard wood amp is a guitar amp, not a bass amp. Wyman has two Ampeg heads on top of each other, with the cabinet next to it. The hard wood amp is on, but in standbye.

Mathijs

Date: January 13, 2016 15:19

Date: January 13, 2016 19:02

this should be a Sunday night mystery movie of the week with Lt. Columbo aka just one more question ?

Date: January 13, 2016 19:51

TheGreek
this should be a Sunday night mystery movie of the week with Lt. Columbo aka just one more question ?

There are still some loose ends.. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 19:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 13, 2016 21:26

DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

There are still some loose ends.. winking smiley
you know exactly what i am talking about !

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home