Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
100 Years Ago
Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:17

Hello friends!

I haven't been on in a while. Today I have a question. 100 Years Ago is one of my favourite Stones songs, but is one that I've always thought never lived up to its potential. The first half is good, SO GOOD, but once it comes to the sped-up jam to the end I think it loses its whimsical freshness and becomes what is actually pretty alright for an outro, but for another song. So are there out there any demos or rehearsal recordings of it stripped down? Kind of like the acoustic version of All Down the Line somewhere out there.

Cheers.......

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Re: 100 Years Ago
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:27

You hit the nail on the head. Starting with this album the stones stopped properly finishing songs and pushing themselves to make good songs great and toss away incomplete/average songs. As a result you get a lot of songs like 100 years ago where there are glimmers of greatness and yet fatal flaws in each.

Sorry for that diatribe. I don't know of any early/alternate versions.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:34

Always liked the outro more than the song actually. Everytime I play GHS I cant wait till they get to the second half of the song, always cranking up the volume.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:36

HMS
Always liked the outro more than the song actually. Everytime I play GHS I cant wait till they get to the second half of the song, always cranking up the volume.
I agree.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 18, 2015 20:05

I like the beginning, middle AND end. :^)

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 18, 2015 20:14

A great song from Goats Head Soup!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 18, 2015 20:19

I love it as well.

One of the best songs the Stones have ever done.
Right up there with Sway & Hand of Fate for me!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 18, 2015 20:41

It´s perfect from start to finish.
The snare sound is not my taste,
unfortunately on the whole album.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: December 18, 2015 23:41

Tate
I like the beginning, middle AND end. :^)

Right on. My favorite track on GHS/IORR/B&B.

It is like three different songs jammed into one, but I love them all.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 19, 2015 00:34

Interesting Mick song, goes a bit too many places possibly...Supposed to have been started in 1970, not that there's been any documented evidence of that unfortunately.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: December 19, 2015 00:44

hot stuff
I love it as well.

One of the best songs the Stones have ever done.
Right up there with Sway & Hand of Fate for me!

3 great choices

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 19, 2015 02:12

gotdablouse
Interesting Mick song, goes a bit too many places possibly...Supposed to have been started in 1970, not that there's been any documented evidence of that unfortunately.

Unless you consider the quote from Mick Taylor in 1973 that says Mick has written it two years earlier and hey just hadn't gotten around to recording it until the GHS sessions.

It was Billy Preston driving the groove on this song that probably turned it from a simple ballad that Mick had into the amazingly evocative and cool tune it turned out to be.

When I listen to the vocal treatment it had on say the second verse where Mick starts with the doubled "Mary and I...." it just feels so good. That is the classic Stones sound that is missing from so much of their later work, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-19 02:17 by Naturalust.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 19, 2015 04:03

Great song. There's nothing bad about it at all. It encompasses the sound of the album as well as the vibe.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2015 04:05

100% great song from start to finish.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 19, 2015 04:20

It's too bad they gave up on it on the 1973 tour.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 19, 2015 08:22

It's a medium-deep cut. A song for a Stones connoisseur.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 19, 2015 09:19

Love it. One of my favorites. Excellant guitar here! Fits perfect in the album.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: December 19, 2015 12:31

yorkey
Hello friends!

I haven't been on in a while. Today I have a question. 100 Years Ago is one of my favourite Stones songs, but is one that I've always thought never lived up to its potential. The first half is good, SO GOOD, but once it comes to the sped-up jam to the end I think it loses its whimsical freshness and becomes what is actually pretty alright for an outro, but for another song. So are there out there any demos or rehearsal recordings of it stripped down? Kind of like the acoustic version of All Down the Line somewhere out there.

Cheers.......

Maybe have a listen to the Mannheim '73 live version to see if that grows on you? [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: December 19, 2015 13:30

Thank you kindly! Thats a mighty fine song smileys with beer

I found this too, more the kind of thing I was after:

video: [www.youtube.com]

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 19, 2015 13:36

Me good ole mate Lou always thought Jagger was singing ...

Call me lizard balls instead of Call me lazy bones ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 19, 2015 14:08

yorkey - I believe there exists an outtake with the exact opposite to what you are wishing for: it has a longer outro before it ends/fades.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 19, 2015 15:39

It's the fade out on the album version that bothers me a bit. It seems little Mick
is picking up steam mighty fine there and then they turned him away.
I love the Vienna live version, though Billy's rhythm on the keys is not as tense as the
album version.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 19, 2015 16:38

I like the whole song and recording (track).

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 19, 2015 18:09

I agree with yorkey...first 3 quarters brilliant...last bit a drag.
But still an excellent song...

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: December 19, 2015 18:58

Fantastic track. Mick Taylor has got something of Peter Green here.
And yes they needed to play its more during the 1973 tour.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: December 19, 2015 19:46

I realize I am in the minority, but the Billy Preston era was the low point of the Stones in the studio. I chalk it up to Keith being chemically elsewhere.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 19, 2015 21:21

well there's worse things to be called than lizard balls.

Date: December 19, 2015 23:02

Kennedy
I realize I am in the minority, but the Billy Preston era was the low point of the Stones in the studio. I chalk it up to Keith being chemically elsewhere.

You're not in the minority at all. This period is widely considered by many to be one of their low points, and rightly so in my opinion.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 19, 2015 23:55

Turner68
Kennedy

You're not in the minority at all. This period is widely considered by many to be one of their low points, and rightly so in my opinion.

Considering Billy played on Sticky Fingers, EOMS, GHS, IORR, Black and Blue, Tattoo You and Love You Live I'd say that's a pretty fertile period to be considering a low point.

My feeling is that it was Keith's addiction problems that were most responsible for the decline in the studio magic that was obviously quite intact during Billy's initial appearances with the Stones. It's obviously subjective but on studio songs such as 100 Years Ago and Heartbreaker and others where he was allowed to shine his parts were the the best of anyone and he carried the band, imo.

Date: December 20, 2015 02:25

He did not to my ears audibly impact their sound in a meaningful way until GHS and that is where the period starts in my mind, and I am guessing Kennedy's too. Since you mention two tracks from GHS perhaps you also agree. I don't think either song should have ever been released.

Saying this does not mean that Preston is to blame. The blame lies with the stones. Mick's addiction to fame and Keith's to heroin are leading suspects.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home