Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Cuba-US application denied!
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: December 17, 2015 20:04

I applied ofr a licence to travel to Cuba for the hopeful show. I just called the Treasury Dept & was told via automated system my request was denied.

Anybody in the States have an success with this?

Re: Cuba-US application denied!
Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: December 17, 2015 20:55

You can't just go for simple tourism. You have to go with a group that "studies and/or visits places for educational or research purposes". It's kind of a scam. A little on line search and you will find lots of "services" that offer these "travel programs".

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 17, 2015 21:33

Bungo
You can't just go for simple tourism. You have to go with a group that "studies and/or visits places for educational or research purposes". It's kind of a scam. A little on line search and you will find lots of "services" that offer these "travel programs".
right on the US dept of State website gives the information of how to go thru a group for educational or research purposes .that would be the way to go to Havana for a possibile Stones show but at a markup i imagine as opposed to making your own plans . I think it would be so cool to go see the Stones and to tour a place that has been off limits for Americans since the Cuban missile crisis .I got my passport and am anxiously waiting .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-18 13:44 by TheGreek.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 17, 2015 21:48

TheGreek
right on the US dept of State website gives the information of how to go thru a group for educational or research purposes .that would be the way to go to Havana for a possibile Stones show but at a markup i iamgine as opposed to making your own plans . I think it would be so cool to go see the Stones and to tour a place that has been off limits for Americans since the Cuban missile crisis .I got my passport and am anxiously waiting .

I have mine and am also anxiously awaiting news...
I am (if it happens) going to fly from Vancouver Canada...
Neither Canada nor Cuba is interested in US regulations regarding travel.

I would rather (ain't too proud to) beg forgiveness than ask permission.
Vancouver airport is closest to where I live in Washington state.. go up all the time, so I will use "taking trans-canada road trip" as my reason for entering Canada ... Don't need passport entering Canada (have RFID drivers license)..

What could go wrong ;-)

Also... Announced yesterday, commercial flights from US to Cuba should begin within a "few months"...

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 17, 2015 22:24

You can travel through Mexico too

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 17, 2015 22:42

I am set to go in the summer but through a tour company, traveling with a group.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: December 18, 2015 01:44

As a Canadian i always find it odd that people from the States can't really go there at all, considering how many Canadians use it as a vacation spot.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 03:05

Go to Toronto. Fly direct from there to Havana, relatively cheap. Ask the customs person in Cuba (and then when you return to Toronto) not to stamp your passport. Zero issues.

With the exchange rate where it is, going the Canada is a deal if you are in the Northeast or Midwest.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 18, 2015 04:16

leteyer
You can travel through Mexico too

Can you get back to the US in that case?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 04:31

FLy through Canada, or through South America. I went in the late 90s from Caracas (though I wouldn't recommend going through Caracas now). When you go you can just ask them not to stamp your passport, "no estampa por favor.." they know that US citizens can't get that stamp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-18 04:32 by whitem8.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: December 18, 2015 07:10

Fly from Canada, Mexico, or the Bahamas. They may question the entry/exit dates discrepancy in the Bahamas but just tell them you were boating smiling smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 18, 2015 07:21

Canada rocks. Safe travels.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 18, 2015 08:05

I received the denial too. From other comments here, the flood gates are about ready to open.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home