Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: No Doubt/Gwen Sefani fans?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:00

MrMibbs
what is SD?

It's either Social Distortion or sexual disease...or Social Disease or sexual distortion...or something like that.
It could simply be San Diego?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:04

I'm not crazy about her music but I like her onstage presence, and her offstage shyness.
I am happy for her and Blakie-boy.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 21:21

angee
I'm not crazy about her music but I like her onstage presence, and her offstage shyness.

Yes! That's part of the appeal for me. If you listen and watch an interview, she sounds like a shy, slightly tomboyish valley girl, so adorable. But onstage, she comes alive - with all the swagger and presence of a real rock star, and that's why she has become an icon. I've read that she is dyslexic and struggled in school, and so that may be a part of her awkwardness in interviews, but man, this woman is like a beast on stage and bold and honest in her lyrics. That, to me, is the mark of a true original.
You don;t have to be a fan of the music or her style, but the artistry is undeniably there. I see her as the heir to Debbie Harry and no one else has come close.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 18, 2015 21:31

stupidguy2
I see her as the heir to Debbie Harry and no one else has come close.

I vote for Texacala Jones smoking smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 18, 2015 21:52

I like Gwen very much...never dull.

Date: December 18, 2015 22:11

"I vote for Texacala Jones.."

You could also throw in Siouxsie Sioux, Kim Gordon..but none of those women crossed over into mainstream iconic status. And none of those had the musical diversity of GS. Gwen can do the punk/ska thing, and then the pop thing and the funky thing, and she can sing the hell out of Leather and Lace..Her appeal is wider. In that sense, I don't think we've seen any female rocker/performer in this vein to really break out and become a cultural icon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-18 22:13 by stupidguy2.

Date: December 18, 2015 22:17

angee

I am too. He's funny as hell and it must be like walking into the sunlight after being with Rossdale.
I can't tell you how much I loathed that-guy-from-that-band-from-the-90s Rossdale. He seemed to suck the life out of her. I had always thought he was a phony, but when she said in an interview a few years ago about how he preferred her with makeup, I developed a real loathing for this guy. GS had come out with such a strong, powerful gust of fresh air: like a nice, shy girl who discovered her identity in her talent as a performer. I think he stifled that and crushed her self-identity. Part of my rediscovery was sparked by her split with Rossdale, hoping she will be empowered by this.
Blake S. has his own career and seems like the kind of guy who will appreciate her, worship her. She's free, and this might spark a new era for her artistically.

This says it all:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-18 22:30 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:10

She's essentially terrible, but Don't Speak is a terrific song. Why? It's the last pop song to have any emotion or feeling in it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:29

She has terrible bad breath.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 19, 2015 23:08

No Doubt opened a show for the Stones in Toronto. I typically like to get there for the Stones' opening acts as they are usually very good, but had zero interest in No Doubt. When we got to our seats, they had already finished. I asked the guy next to us: 'How was No Doubt?' His reply 'Gwen changed outfits for almost every song'. Told me all I needed to know.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 20, 2015 00:58

buffalo7478
No Doubt opened a show for the Stones in Toronto. I typically like to get there for the Stones' opening acts as they are usually very good, but had zero interest in No Doubt. When we got to our seats, they had already finished. I asked the guy next to us: 'How was No Doubt?' His reply 'Gwen changed outfits for almost every song'. Told me all I needed to know.

Yupe I was there at the Skydome. I got up and walked around after the first song. Pretty bad.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2015 21:43

It's My Life is genius.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1209
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home