Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith's Music Mans
Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: December 10, 2015 11:19

I am watching The Winos Boston 93 DVD and loving the tone of Keith's Music Man guitar on 999. I remember numerous guitar magazine interviews where he sang their praises. Is this the last tour on which he publicly touched an Ernie Ball? Why?

[www.non-filters.com]

Re: Keith's Music Mans
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 10, 2015 13:28

nonfilter
I am watching The Winos Boston 93 DVD and loving the tone of Keith's Music Man guitar on 999. I remember numerous guitar magazine interviews where he sang their praises. Is this the last tour on which he publicly touched an Ernie Ball? Why?

[www.non-filters.com]

He used three of them from 1989 to 1993. The black one was sold through Ebay (but with a different neck), the white one remains part of his collection and is used during rehearsals from time to time. The Sunburst was only rarely used.

Mathijs

Date: December 10, 2015 13:46

He got a lovely sound out of that white Silhouette.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: December 10, 2015 13:54

I simply love the sound of his white Silhouette during the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour.
As far as I remember, he used a Fender twin for rhythm sound and a 50 watt Marshall head with an H/H power amplifier for his dirty lead sound.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 10, 2015 14:14

If you look in the Ratbag Boogie index, the Silhouettes are under "Keith's one-offs and oddballs"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 11, 2015 05:36

They probably stopped paying him to promote them so... back to Fender and Gibson I guess.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 11, 2015 09:09

Who was the owner of the MM guitar that sold on ebay? How much did it go for?

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 11, 2015 09:11

Mathijs
nonfilter

[www.non-filters.com]

He used three of them from 1989 to 1993. The black one was sold through Ebay (but with a different neck), the white one remains part of his collection and is used during rehearsals from time to time. The Sunburst was only rarely used.

Mathijs

Who was the owner of the guitar that sold on ebay? How much did it go for?

Date: December 11, 2015 10:11

Mathijs
nonfilter

[www.non-filters.com]

Mathijs

Wow! Can't believe the black one sold on eBay. Wish I'd been bidding. That is actually the one he was playing on 999 that prompted my post. I find it hard to believe that he was only playing them cause he was getting paid to do so as a promotion. He wasn't really hurting for money in the late 80s/early 90s.

[www.non-filters.com]

Date: December 11, 2015 19:05

An old bandmate of mine got a Silhouette. I can't remember if he still has it. It was nice but a bit too much like a Stratocaster for my liking, which may be why Keith stopped playing them.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 11, 2015 20:57

Sound was decent but it was an ugly guitar...weren't you able to switch out the pups easy as changing a battery?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 11, 2015 22:36

Munichhilton
Sound was decent but it was an ugly guitar...weren't you able to switch out the pups easy as changing a battery?

Agree about the sound of them ( a friend plays one) but it not an ugly guitar.
it's fugly!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

about the pups changing, aren't you mistaken that with the Dan Armstrongs?

Date: December 12, 2015 00:57

The Silhouette was a dream to play, imo.

Date: December 13, 2015 04:06

Leo Fender's design can't be all bad.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 13, 2015 10:58

Here's where the Ratbag Boogie discussion of them starts: [www.iorr.org]

Date: December 13, 2015 16:36

GasLightStreet
They probably stopped paying him to promote them so... back to Fender and Gibson I guess.

As far as I know Keith has never been paid to play any guitar.

Mathijs

Date: December 13, 2015 16:37

TornAndFried
Mathijs
nonfilter

[www.non-filters.com]

Mathijs

I should rephrase "sold on Ebay' -it was listed on Ebay but then was pulled back. I do not know the reason.

Mathijs

Date: December 13, 2015 16:40

Munichhilton

Yes, in the beginning that was the idea. The first couple years, when they still had Schaller electronics and hardware this was the case for some models. They then changed to DiMarzio electrics and it was not possible to change out the pickups anymore.

The neck on the late 80's/early 90's guitars was fabulous -very thick, not wide, and without laquer but with gun oil. One of the best necks I have ever played. The early Van Halen models had the same kind of neck.

Mathijs

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 13, 2015 16:42

In Keith´s hands it´s the worst looking and sounding guitar.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 13, 2015 20:23

Mathijs
TornAndFried
Mathijs
nonfilter

[www.non-filters.com]

Mathijs

I should rephrase "sold on Ebay' -it was listed on Ebay but then was pulled back. I do not know the reason.

Mathijs

What do you do just sit home and make this stuff up?

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 13, 2015 20:24

Yes he does

Date: December 14, 2015 00:24

Keith last played the white one on the MAIN OFFENDER tour as far as I recall and lastly with the Stones on the URBAN JUNGLE tour.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 14, 2015 00:54

Keith plays the black MM at the Guitar Legends - Sevilla Expo '92. During his solo on Going Down, the high e-string gets trapped under a fret edge or something, so the string just makes a funny noise. Keith figures it out and loosen the string, but if these kind of things happen with a guitar, it's not very satisfying. You need to rely on your tools.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: December 14, 2015 12:06

"As far as I know Keith has never been paid to play any guitar" Mathjis

I've got an old-70's I think-Gibson advertisement somewhere that features Keith (playing a black Gibson if I recall correctly)

I imagine he would have been paid for that?

Date: December 14, 2015 12:21

audun-eg
Keith plays the black MM at the Guitar Legends - Sevilla Expo '92. During his solo on Going Down, the high e-string gets trapped under a fret edge or something, so the string just makes a funny noise. Keith figures it out and loosen the string, but if these kind of things happen with a guitar, it's not very satisfying. You need to rely on your tools.

He also used it on the euro leg of the tour.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-14 12:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 14, 2015 14:43

Ron Wood has been paid plenty, I bet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-14 14:45 by punkfloyd.

Date: December 14, 2015 14:46

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-14 18:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Ingris ()
Date: December 14, 2015 18:02

RockinJive
Yes he does

How do you know that?
Are you guessing or lying?

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: December 14, 2015 19:07

Mathijs

Mathijs

Wasn't there a charity auction for one of those too? Can't remember.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 14, 2015 21:48

Ingris
RockinJive
Yes he does

How do you know that?
Are you guessing or lying?

Hello Mr 4 posts

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home