Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: IM: John Lennon
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 9, 2015 00:02

Just like with the Kennedy assasination and Sept.11th, I will always remember the exact moment when I learned of Lennon's assasination.

Howard Cosell broke it to me and most of the US first on Monday Night Football.
"Dead on Arrival".. I remember him saying as he read the news bulletin on air..

Just like with the other tragic events I mentioned, you knew life was never really going to be the same from that moment on.

When I went to NY for the 2012 50th anniversary show, which was also on Dec. 8th, it was nice attending an vigil in Central Park at Strawberry Fields earlier in the day before the concert.
They opened up the Brooklyn concert with their cover of The Beatles "I Wanna be your Man".. I took as a nod to Lennon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-09 00:04 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: December 9, 2015 00:14

Miss You John....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 9, 2015 01:20

I was higgledy-piggledy about his dead................bought all of his records the day they were released................but never liked his attitude.....to much negativity.......................

The only way I will remember John is by this interview.......................nice guy................ (glad Yoko didn't joined this interview)

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 9, 2015 01:40

MisterDDDD
Just like with the Kennedy assasination and Sept.11th, I will always remember the exact moment when I learned of Lennon's assasination.

"Dead on Arrival".. I remember him saying as he read the news bulletin on air..

Just like with the other tragic events I mentioned, you knew life was never really going to be the same from that moment on.

When I went to NY for the 2012 50th anniversary show, which was also on Dec. 8th, it was nice attending an vigil in Central Park at Strawberry Fields earlier in the day before the concert.
They opened up the Brooklyn concert with their cover of The Beatles "I Wanna be your Man".. I took as a nod to Lennon.

I too was 13 and watching MNF. Unreal. I also think it was one of the first times I really embraced the newspaper. I read every article about it over and over trying to make sense of it. About seven years ago my parents moved out of the house we lived in, and I found the People Magazine from that week with him and Yoko on the cover. Put an ache in my chest to see it.
T@3

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: December 9, 2015 01:42

John contributed so much to music.He was a true rock n roll musician.His post-Beatles work still stands.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 9, 2015 08:27

Such a sad and tragic day. Hard to belive it was 35 years ago...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 9, 2015 08:52

A very sad day, indeed. He was only 40 years old. In the midst of life.

OT - Remembrance of John
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 9, 2020 17:00

With love on what would have been Lennon's 80th birthday. Forever young.

Re: OT - Remembrance of John
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 9, 2020 17:41

An incredible talent gone much too soon. It’s hard to believe he’s been gone now for nearly as long as he was alive. RIP.

Re: OT: John Lennon
Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: October 9, 2020 18:29

I am sorry if this is off topic. But this fact makes me sick. [www.newsweek.com]

The amount of gun violence is sickening.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 9, 2020 18:29

MisterDDDD

"Dead on Arrival"...

Same with me, I was writing a letter to my brother at the moment I heard it. He was away at college, and the game was on, and Howard Cosell broke the news, I recall that I noted it in my letter.

The murderer, btw, just had released some statement recently how he regrets it and feels he should never be let out of prison -- sort of a reverse psychological attempt to get out (or so it seems to me), hoping the parole board commission will see this as a sign of true sorrow and acceptance of self blame.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 9, 2020 18:38

he can rot

Date: October 9, 2020 18:42

schillid
he can rot

I don't believe he'll ever get out. Julian, Yoko and Sean will see to that.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 9, 2020 18:45

LeonidP

The murderer, btw, just had released some statement recently how he regrets it and feels he should never be let out of prison -- sort of a reverse psychological attempt to get out (or so it seems to me), hoping the parole board commission will see this as a sign of true sorrow and acceptance of self blame.

It's a bit late for regrets and I agree that he should rot.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 9, 2020 20:11

Playing the new release today "Gimme Some Truth" good time in history for this.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 9, 2020 20:16

Hail, hail to one of the absolute greatest rock singers of all time. His first solo album changed my life. I think I loved him more for being full of it some times. (Like his jealousy of the Stones hidden in statements of superiority). We were robbed of his presence the past 40 years. But our generation was used to being robbed.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 9, 2020 20:22

Shouldn't there be a Beatles Stuff Thread ?

Date: October 9, 2020 20:55

BBC4 tonight is Beatles/John Lennon night, starting 8pm (UK time) with A Hard Day's Night.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 9, 2020 21:30

ash
Agreed and worth mentioning that even if us fans were devastated (and I was at the time), that's nothing compared to a five year old boy who lost his Dad in such a horrifying way not to mention his wife seeing her husband murdered like that.

Very sad for Yoko and her sons. It did change Yoko's opinion about people belonging in prison which she and her husband used to spout off about. Funny ow that works.

Date: October 9, 2020 22:22

Nice recent interview about John with Paul by Sean Lennon.

Date: October 10, 2020 00:05

MisterDDDD
Nice recent interview about John with Paul by Sean Lennon.

Thank you so much for posting this. It meant a lot for me to hear this interview!

Date: October 10, 2020 00:50

steffialicia
Thank you so much for posting this. It meant a lot for me to hear this interview!

It was a great interview I thought as well.
Like listening to them chat in a living room.

A bit of a Stones tie-in for me as well. Thanks to them, in between the Manchester and Edinburgh shows in '18 I was able to spend several days in Liverpool. Was able to see all their childhood houses, neighborhoods, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields etc which I am really grateful for. Would never have made the trip otherwise. A great place to visit, highlight of the trip.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 10, 2020 02:56

It was tragic that he was murdered at a relatively young age. His murder brought sadness to a large number of people. Just like Altamont, it was a symbol that many things in what we once believed had changed. He created some wonderful music with the Beatles and on his own. I will always be grateful for that. On the other hand, over time since his murder, he has been canonized, made a saint. I wonder if this is how he would like to have been remembered, seen himself, as this sanctified person, or as another human being with his own strengths and weaknesses, working life? A point to ponder as we think of Lennon turning 80 and where we were and what we were doing when we "heard the news today."

Date: October 10, 2020 04:32

MisterDDDD
steffialicia

It was a great interview I thought as well.
Like listening to them chat in a living room.

A bit of a Stones tie-in for me as well. Thanks to them, in between the Manchester and Edinburgh shows in '18 I was able to spend several days in Liverpool. Was able to see all their childhood houses, neighborhoods, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields etc which I am really grateful for. Would never have made the trip otherwise. A great place to visit, highlight of the trip.

I began life as a Beatles fan. In 1969, I visited London and hit a lot of Beatle spots...the homes of Paul, George and John, Abbey Road Studios, etc. I didn't make it up to Liverpool at that time but if/when life returns to normal, I will. I've heard it's a great tour.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 10, 2020 04:43

I still miss John, the pain never goes away....it has become less severe but my anger never lessens. John wouldn't want to be canonized, he wasn't a saint but he was a " working class hero" to millions of us...something to be....something he achieved. He left a huge hole in my soul, in the collective soul of all touched by his music, his writings, his presence. I still wonder about all that could have been created by John....and I mourn what never came to pass.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 10, 2020 06:30

At the time of Lennon's murder, I was working my first professional job in human services as a counselor in a group home for kids with disabilities. My supervisor was the one that reported the news to me and I was in shock for the rest of the day. After my work shift, I went home, watched some news about John's death, drank a few beers, went up to my room, listened to the Imagine album and cried myself to sleep. I didn't personally know the man, but it felt like a favorite uncle died.
I still miss him. Rest in peace John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-10 06:30 by Sighunt.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: October 10, 2020 09:02

John Lennon - Just Because + Reprise

This song has as much soul & beauty as any solo song he's ever done (imho) & gets me every time.

I like this version even better than the original Lloyd Price vs., which I also love.

John Lennon - Be My Baby

John Lennon - Be My Baby (alt. vs.)

RIP Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Somewhere in heaven The Great Pearly Gates Band is practicing & welcoming their newest member, Eddie Van Halen.

John Lennon
George Harrison
Brian Jones
Ian Stewart (Stu)
Nicky Hopkins
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Chris Squire
John Entwistle (forgot him initially)
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Neil Peart
David Bowie
Bob Marley
Eddie Van Halen
Kurt Cobain

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-11 00:26 by KevinM.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 10, 2020 12:52

CaptainCorella
35 years.

Makes me feel very old, and very sad indeed.

A terrible thing to have happened.

But... I did actually exchange a small number of words with John, and for that I'm disproportionately grateful.

In the summer of 1971 I worked in London, very close to the US Embassy, and very near Oxford St.

John & Yoko had just brought out the paperback version of 'Grapefruit' and were doing a book signing in a store in Oxford St. (It's actually in one of the several versions of the movie "Imagine" ) .

Anyway, I thought I'd wander over and see what was going on.

There was a large crowd outside, milling around, and not going it to the shop. So, looking as if I knew what I was doing, I simply walked round the crowd into the shop and pretended to look at the shelves.

A short while later a policeman came up to me (I was in my smart work suit) and asked me if I was the manager!

Then John & Yoko arrived and there was a great surge (HDN reference) around them and where they sat behind a table starting to sign books.

After a while, John looked up and made a comment about wondering if anyone was going to buy one of the books. I replied to him that I'd have two, and he handed them to me - having signed them before my eyes.

Not a lot of interchange, but I'm very pleased to have had it!!

(One book was for me, the other for a colleague who was leaving at the end of the week. A year or so later she came to my place on a visit, and saw my copy of "Grapefruit", opened it, and nearly fainted. She'd seen the autographs in her copy and thought that they were printed in as part of the publication (not unreasonable actually). Seeing mine she realised that she had the real thing.)

Great story! Thanks for sharing!!

Date: October 10, 2020 17:50

KevinM

This song has as much soul & beauty as any solo song he's ever done (imho) & gets me every time.

I like this version even better than the original Lloyd Price vs., which I also love.

John Lennon - Be My Baby

RIP Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Somewhere in heaven The Great Pearly Gates Band is practicing & welcoming their newest member, Eddie Van Halen.

John Lennon
George Harrison
Brian Jones
Ian Stewart (Stu)
Nicky Hopkins
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Chris Squire
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Neil Peart
David Bowie
Bob Marley
Eddie Van Halen
Kurt Cobain

+ John Entwistle

Date: October 10, 2020 17:58

Valeswood
KevinM

John Lennon - Be My Baby

RIP Dr. Winston O'Boogie

John Lennon
George Harrison
Brian Jones
Ian Stewart (Stu)
Nicky Hopkins
Jim Morrison
Jimi Hendrix
Chris Squire
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Neil Peart
David Bowie
Bob Marley
Eddie Van Halen
Kurt Cobain

+ John Entwistle

+ Prince
+ Janis

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home