Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: John Lennon
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 8, 2015 09:35

It's 35 years ago today that a confused person put an end to the life of John Lennon.
The world has not become what John imagined. Still his words give encouragement to people
who imagine that a better world is possible.
Raise our glass to John today.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-09 17:46 by bv.

Re: IM: John Lennon
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 8, 2015 09:37

John Lennon imagined a world where he'd have no possessions? I don't think he thought that one through.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 8, 2015 09:50

Whether he thought that one through or not, it was a wrong and sorry thing that he was killed.
Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 8, 2015 09:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 09:52 by Come On.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 8, 2015 10:06

Thanks John.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 8, 2015 10:19

with sssoul
Whether he thought that one through or not, it was a wrong and sorry thing that he was killed.
Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

smileys with beer

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 8, 2015 10:40

marcovandereijk
It's 35 years ago today that Mark David Chapman put an end to the life of John Lennon.
The world has not become what John imagined. Still his words give encouragement to people

Any chance you could edit that twats name out (yeah ha ha Stones fans). Doesn't deserve to be remembered or even mentioned in connection with John Lennon who may not have been a great man but through his music gave millions of people little moments of joy and continues to do so.
Even if your not a fan, remember that the Stones might not have been able to kick the door down so effectively without a little help from their friends who held the door slightly ajar and passed them a tune they could let rip on as well as helping them get that Decca contract and being generally encouraging.
Is this destined for the Beatles vs Stones thread ?
I hope one day there can be a Beatles and Stones thread and the World will live as one. I love 'em both and we were better off with both in my opinion.

Date: December 8, 2015 10:51

24FPS
John Lennon imagined a world where he'd have no possessions? I don't think he thought that one through.

He only said imagine it.
Picture yourself in a boat on a river doesn't mean run down to the docks and take a selfie on a sailing ship does it ?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 8, 2015 10:52

A terrible milestone in history, and humanity for that matter. Every year around this time I think of John and lament about it. Some will say it's silly and I understand their opinion. Nevertheless I find it amazing that a musician/idealist can reach people so deeply without personally knowing each other. It means a lot. As Stones fans I believe we feel something quite similar, just on a different level maybe. Wonder what John would have to say of life today. Shame we don't have the luxury of hearing it. And not to leave out the fact Yoko and Sean were stripped of their time together with him. I would also like to say to his critics that John was up front about his mistakes and/or faults. Perhaps a too often over looked part of his character? I miss him very much, the world needs more people like him in my opinion.

Date: December 8, 2015 11:24

Agreed and worth mentioning that even if us fans were devastated (and I was at the time), that's nothing compared to a five year old boy who lost his Dad in such a horrifying way not to mention his wife seeing her husband murdered like that.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 8, 2015 11:35

35 years.

Makes me feel very old, and very sad indeed.

A terrible thing to have happened.

But... I did actually exchange a small number of words with John, and for that I'm disproportionately grateful.

In the summer of 1971 I worked in London, very close to the US Embassy, and very near Oxford St.

John & Yoko had just brought out the paperback version of 'Grapefruit' and were doing a book signing in a store in Oxford St. (It's actually in one of the several versions of the movie "Imagine" ) .

Anyway, I thought I'd wander over and see what was going on.

There was a large crowd outside, milling around, and not going it to the shop. So, looking as if I knew what I was doing, I simply walked round the crowd into the shop and pretended to look at the shelves.

A short while later a policeman came up to me (I was in my smart work suit) and asked me if I was the manager!

Then John & Yoko arrived and there was a great surge (HDN reference) around them and where they sat behind a table starting to sign books.

After a while, John looked up and made a comment about wondering if anyone was going to buy one of the books. I replied to him that I'd have two, and he handed them to me - having signed them before my eyes.

Not a lot of interchange, but I'm very pleased to have had it!!

(One book was for me, the other for a colleague who was leaving at the end of the week. A year or so later she came to my place on a visit, and saw my copy of "Grapefruit", opened it, and nearly fainted. She'd seen the autographs in her copy and thought that they were printed in as part of the publication (not unreasonable actually). Seeing mine she realised that she had the real thing.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 8, 2015 11:40

Yes, he IMAGINED a world without possessions.
That didn't mean he wasn't a victim of the material world too.
I'll bet Lennon would be the first to admit he wasn't flawless.

Date: December 8, 2015 13:19

Great story Captain Corella. You're very lucky indeed. Guess you still have the book. Keep on rockingsmiling smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 8, 2015 14:48

frankotero
A terrible milestone in history, and humanity for that matter. Every year around this time I think of John and lament about it. Some will say it's silly and I understand their opinion. Nevertheless I find it amazing that a musician/idealist can reach people so deeply without personally knowing each other. It means a lot. As Stones fans I believe we feel something quite similar, just on a different level maybe. Wonder what John would have to say of life today. Shame we don't have the luxury of hearing it. And not to leave out the fact Yoko and Sean were stripped of their time together with him. I would also like to say to his critics that John was up front about his mistakes and/or faults. Perhaps a too often over looked part of his character? I miss him very much, the world needs more people like him in my opinion.

Let's not forget his firstborn, Julian.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: December 8, 2015 15:01

CaptainCorella
35 years.

Makes me feel very old, and very sad indeed.

A terrible thing to have happened.

But... I did actually exchange a small number of words with John, and for that I'm disproportionately grateful.

In the summer of 1971 I worked in London, very close to the US Embassy, and very near Oxford St.

John & Yoko had just brought out the paperback version of 'Grapefruit' and were doing a book signing in a store in Oxford St. (It's actually in one of the several versions of the movie "Imagine" ) .

Anyway, I thought I'd wander over and see what was going on.

There was a large crowd outside, milling around, and not going it to the shop. So, looking as if I knew what I was doing, I simply walked round the crowd into the shop and pretended to look at the shelves.

A short while later a policeman came up to me (I was in my smart work suit) and asked me if I was the manager!

Then John & Yoko arrived and there was a great surge (HDN reference) around them and where they sat behind a table starting to sign books.

After a while, John looked up and made a comment about wondering if anyone was going to buy one of the books. I replied to him that I'd have two, and he handed them to me - having signed them before my eyes.

Not a lot of interchange, but I'm very pleased to have had it!!

(One book was for me, the other for a colleague who was leaving at the end of the week. A year or so later she came to my place on a visit, and saw my copy of "Grapefruit", opened it, and nearly fainted. She'd seen the autographs in her copy and thought that they were printed in as part of the publication (not unreasonable actually). Seeing mine she realised that she had the real thing.)

What a wonderful memory to have.

I have started to appreciate John's work with the Beatles in recent years, he was not just a rocker, his love songs are really beautiful. I would love to have had a drink with the man.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 8, 2015 15:05

so long ago, and it feels like it was yesterday that i heard the news

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: December 8, 2015 15:15

What a loss.. Incredible that after 35 years we are still discussing about how easy it is to buy weapon in the u.s.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 8, 2015 15:39

Anything I say would be an understatement - major talent, tragic death, peace advocate, etc.

I'll just enjoy the music......

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 8, 2015 16:29

frankotero
Great story Captain Corella. You're very lucky indeed. Guess you still have the book. Keep on rockingsmiling smiley

In 1971 I worked in London during the summer and took time out to see the book signing. John seemed very relaxed and healthy. Little did we know at the time that within a month he would be leaving the UK for the last time. Also, that his best work was behind him.
Still have my autographed Grapefruit !

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 8, 2015 16:52

ash
marcovandereijk
It's 35 years ago today that Mark David Chapman put an end to the life of John Lennon.

Any chance you could edit that twats name out (yeah ha ha Stones fans). Doesn't deserve to be remembered or even mentioned in connection with John Lennon who may not have been a great man but through his music gave millions of people little moments of joy and continues to do so.

Thats all it is right there.

Great song writer, very tragic day for his family..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 16:54 by stanlove.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 8, 2015 17:05

It's weird to think you'd have to be at least in your early 40s to remember when John Lennon was a still a living person.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 20:35 by tatters.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 8, 2015 17:27

A day I remember very well, and I feel like listening to one of his great albums right now: "John Lennon/ Plastic Ono Band".

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: December 8, 2015 18:03

Hard to believe that Sean is now the same age as his father was at the time of his death....

Date: December 8, 2015 19:17

Also, hard to believe that Yoko is 82 years old.
She wears well.
Would like to see her rumoured Autobiography come out. Would have a fascinating tale to tell....and not just the 1968/80 period.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2015 19:20

A sad day in history - RIP John Lennon.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 8, 2015 19:38

I just finished my first book about John Lennon:
'Nowhere Man: The Final Days of John Lennon'
(I was 13 day he died, my middle school teacher stopped the class when the announcement came thru, he was devastated)
John's released songs 'Woman' 'Watching the Wheels' beautiful, and
all a bit haunting to me.
I am left with the impression he was an enlightened person (not a term used lightly)
yet struggled like some of us (honestly) w/ being a sensitive human overwhelmed by all of it at times.

Date: December 8, 2015 20:25

Well said 35love. I was 17 and my school day experience was very similar. The newer songs were light hearted (as they sound) but they make me sadder than his early heavier songs. Sometimes I don't want to hear them at all. Actually I only played Beatles music today, no solo John.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 8, 2015 20:29

John lennon's passing was one of the saddest days of my life (as corny as that sounds). I certainly never met him but felt like I did through his music. His music so touched my life that it felt like a favorite uncle had died. Rest in peace John.

Date: December 8, 2015 23:43

Apparantly over a million people have died in the States since that fateful day in December 1980.
How many have died as a result of terrorism?
So maybe Mr Trump should put his energies into gun control rather than going for the racist votes.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 9, 2015 00:02

jlowe
Apparantly over a million people have died in the States since that fateful day in December 1980.
How many have died as a result of terrorism?
So maybe Mr Trump should put his energies into gun control rather than going for the racist votes.

Please use the name "Mr" Dump next time...we all know what you mean grinning smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home