Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 101
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: October 7, 2022 18:58

Latest download/CD release is from Atlanta_1978-10-01.
Show opens with THE LAST TIME:

[live.brucespringsteen.net]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 7, 2022 20:35

Rank Stranger

Almost all of those shows from 1978 are killer. I was fortunate & saw 2 shows on that tour, one toward the beginning & one at the end. Rock & roll church! Save me, Bruce!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 9, 2022 16:18

crholmstrom
VoodooLounge13
I think I actually prefer the film version of Western Stars to the album version. I'm usually a big fan of his acoustic stuff, but IDK for some reason this one didn't hit with me, but the orchestral versions sound better.

I'm with you on that one. I'd almost rather see him tour something like that than with E Street band. Cost would probably be prohibitive though if it happened.

Its been one of my few complaints with later Springsteen. And by later I mean the last 10 years. His resurgence in 99-09 was fantastic. Two great E Street tours, a phenomenal solo tour, an excellent Seeger tour that wasn't everyone's thing, then back to E Street for another 2 year marathon. It was a great time to be a Bruce fan.

After that it got a little disappointing. A couple not great albums in a row and 2 or 3 pretty unremarkable tours that were pretty much treading the same water as he'd been doing for awhile at that point. He just didn't seem to have much to say from 2012-2017. Then he came back in a big way with Broadway, Western Stars and Letter To You. This new covers album seems fun as well, but my issue is he's clearly got a lot of interests at the moment but not enough outlet. He feels obligated to tour with the E Street Band. I'd have LOVED if he toured Western Stars, or for this new covers thing, which is more interesting than another E Street tour, but he's putting out stuff too fast to tour any of it or really indulge. I think to me, if he's gonna tour he doesn't like to break from "this is how I tour" and that isn't conducive to these other vanity projects. Which I think sucks, cause they could be really special and different. We won't really see their full potential. Broadway was the only vanity project he really indulged and that he did for waaaaay too long.

Date: October 9, 2022 16:22

RollingFreak
crholmstrom
VoodooLounge13
I think I actually prefer the film version of Western Stars to the album version. I'm usually a big fan of his acoustic stuff, but IDK for some reason this one didn't hit with me, but the orchestral versions sound better.

I'm with you on that one. I'd almost rather see him tour something like that than with E Street band. Cost would probably be prohibitive though if it happened.

Its been one of my few complaints with later Springsteen. And by later I mean the last 10 years. His resurgence in 99-09 was fantastic. Two great E Street tours, a phenomenal solo tour, an excellent Seeger tour that wasn't everyone's thing, then back to E Street for another 2 year marathon. It was a great time to be a Bruce fan.

After that it got a little disappointing. A couple not great albums in a row and 2 or 3 pretty unremarkable tours that were pretty much treading the same water as he'd been doing for awhile at that point. He just didn't seem to have much to say from 2012-2017. Then he came back in a big way with Broadway, Western Stars and Letter To You. This new covers album seems fun as well, but my issue is he's clearly got a lot of interests at the moment but not enough outlet. He feels obligated to tour with the E Street Band. I'd have LOVED if he toured Western Stars, or for this new covers thing, which is more interesting than another E Street tour, but he's putting out stuff too fast to tour any of it or really indulge. I think to me, if he's gonna tour he doesn't like to break from "this is how I tour" and that isn't conducive to these other vanity projects. Which I think sucks, cause they could be really special and different. We won't really see their full potential. Broadway was the only vanity project he really indulged and that he did for waaaaay too long.

I saw an awesome show on the River tour a few years ago. He played damn near 4 hours. He was totally on that night.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 9, 2022 16:31

Take this from a guy whose handle is "JimmyTheSaint". Bruce lost “it” as a songwriter after Tunnel of Love, IMO.

A few decent songs here and there since, while he retained his skills as a performer and entertainer. The live shows with E Street have remained strong.

For comparisons sake I believe that post 1987 Tom Petty proved to be the better songwriter of the two, which is surprising given that TP couldn’t match Born to Run or Darkness standards with his earlier works.

Working on a Dream was an embarrassment of an LP and the rest was mediocre at best in the later era from Bruce.

The best songs on the Rising are ones that nobody paid attention to (Nothing Man, Empty Sky, You're Missing). Beyond those 3 tracks and the sentiment of the title track, the rest of the record was a hot mess punctuated by the juvenile "Waiting on a Sunny Day" and regrettable "Mary's Place" which could have doubled as a jingle for TGI Friday's.

Devils & Dust was a bore, the covers records were professional, Letter To You's best tracks are leftovers from when Bruce could write.

I do think he redeemed himself somewhat with Western Stars. There were some interesting songs on that one.

As for Petty & Heartbreakers, Wildflowers far surpasses anything Bruce released since 1987 and She's the One soundtrack is an underrated and underappreciated gem in his catalogue. Echo has more good than bad and Mojo was pretty consistent as well. Full Moon Fever and Into the Great Wide Open aren't my favorites, but those were both huge releases for TP. I'd even play Highway Companion and Hypnotic Eye before most, if not all, of Bruce's late era releases.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-09 16:50 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 9, 2022 17:32

Rank Stranger

I make that something like 103 different songs on these nugs releases that have never otherwise appeared on a 'regular' release

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 9, 2022 18:21

JimmyTheSaint
Take this from a guy whose handle is "JimmyTheSaint". Bruce lost “it” as a songwriter after Tunnel of Love, IMO.

A few decent songs here and there since, while he retained his skills as a performer and entertainer. The live shows with E Street have remained strong.

For comparisons sake I believe that post 1987 Tom Petty proved to be the better songwriter of the two, which is surprising given that TP couldn’t match Born to Run or Darkness standards with his earlier works.

Working on a Dream was an embarrassment of an LP and the rest was mediocre at best in the later era from Bruce.

The best songs on the Rising are ones that nobody paid attention to (Nothing Man, Empty Sky, You're Missing). Beyond those 3 tracks and the sentiment of the title track, the rest of the record was a hot mess punctuated by the juvenile "Waiting on a Sunny Day" and regrettable "Mary's Place" which could have doubled as a jingle for TGI Friday's.

Devils & Dust was a bore, the covers records were professional, Letter To You's best tracks are leftovers from when Bruce could write.

I do think he redeemed himself somewhat with Western Stars. There were some interesting songs on that one.

As for Petty & Heartbreakers, Wildflowers far surpasses anything Bruce released since 1987 and She's the One soundtrack is an underrated and underappreciated gem in his catalogue. Echo has more good than bad and Mojo was pretty consistent as well. Full Moon Fever and Into the Great Wide Open aren't my favorites, but those were both huge releases for TP. I'd even play Highway Companion and Hypnotic Eye before most, if not all, of Bruce's late era releases.

Re: Bruce - I pretty much agree, except there are a few excellent songs on Magic.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 9, 2022 21:50

JimmyTheSaint

If we are comparing Petty to Bruce, I can probably agree that the latter releases of the former are better than the latter day releases of Bruce. However, I think Highway Companion is Petty's masterpiece. I put in my Top 25 of all-time (the deluxe faux-leather edition with the extra tracks). I listen to it constantly, and it is a remarkable album, IMO. I also agree that She's The One is an often over-looked gem. Wildflowers is I think the 2nd best Petty album.

I do disagree with Bruce having been done at Tunnel though. And for the record, Tunnel is my favorite Bruce album. I know a lot of people despise it, but for me it is the best he's ever done. My oldest son is making his way thru Bruce's catalog right now, and I was trying to rank them, and it's just too hard for me to do. Tunnel is first, and The Rising is most definitely #2. For all that it means and the connection to that fateful event. Lyrically, I think it's what we needed, as Americans. And I saw him on that tour in New Jersey, and my God it was a religious experience. Something happened that night - what I cannot even begin to explain, but even my Ex-1 felt it. There was a presence there in that stadium with all of us. And I've never come close to feeling anything like that ever again anywhere.

After those two, I have a hard time ranking them. I love Greetings, Nebraska, The River, Seeger, and Joad. I'm hard pressed to grab a Top 5. The rest of them would probably be Greetings, River, and Nebraska. I think Bruce is best when he's sparse - Nebraska, Joad, even Devils has some great moments. And I might be one of the few who think that Born to Run (song and album) are both incredibly over-rated. The song is played to death, and I just don't enjoy it anymore.

At the time, I was amazed by his releasing two separate albums with Human Touch and Lucky Town, but over time, they would have been better served as a single album, which could have quite possibly have been the best thing he'd ever produced. There are some absolute gems between the two of them: Human Touch, Soul Driver, With Every Wish, I Wish I Were Blind, Better Days, If I Should Fall Behind, The Big Muddy, Living Proof, My Beautiful Reward. Then if you factor in what didn't make the cut: Trouble in Paradise, Sad Eyes, Leavin' Train, Seven Angels, Loose Change, Red-Headed Woman, and Secret Garden, and this really could have been an incredible release!!

I think Joad is a classic from start to finish. Youngstown is my favorite Bruce track, followed by Tougher Than The Rest. As I'd said already, The Rising is a latter-day masterpiece. I don't think there's a clunker on it.

After that, I think things really got a bit more irregular. Devils isn't as consistent as his other acoustic albums. There are some great tracks on it, but not enough for me to revisit it too often. We Shall Overcome is another phenomenal album - agreed not for everyone, but I loved it!!!! I'd take another Americana album in this vein any day!!! Magic is a decent enough effort. I'd say more good than bad. Working On A Dream, for me, was a huge letdown. I rarely listen to it. Wrecking Ball I thought was great - it's like the kid brother of The Rising, with a lot of similar themes. Great anthems on here. High Hopes again, for me, missed the mark, and I enjoy the bonus live DVD far more. Western Stars was a bit of a snoozer, but the film version I do enjoy immensely and should be the definitive version of this album. Letter To You is another that just doesn't seem to make the mark for me.

So while agree Petty's Echo and Mojo, Wildflowers, Highway are more consistent, I don't think Bruce has been without a quality release since Tunnel. There are some magnificent releases in there since, but again, it's all subjective and what each of us likes/prefers....

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 9, 2022 22:05

Out of his latest albums, liked Wrecking Ball a lot, too.

Youngstown, though? That's one of my favorite Bruce tracks as well. The full band version.

Here's my story about that song. Before my first Bruce show on the Magic tour in Helsinki in 2008, I met him at his hotel. He signed my CD cover and I asked "can you guys please do Youngstown tomorrow?". Bruce replied: "That's a possibility, I've been thinking about that one lately."

Sure enough, the next day they played it as the full band version, first time on that tour - and went into Murder Incorporated right after, just like on the MSG show DVD!

I was way out in the stands, but I was in tears. That was so good.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-09 22:20 by Topi.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 9, 2022 22:31

GREAT Story Topi!!!

I can't really say why it's my favorite. Perhaps it's his vocal delivery, or the theme of American factories closed down - it's a better tale telling for me than say My Hometown. It's just always been a song that I absolutely loved - as I said I think Joad is a phenomenal album!!! I was in college at the time of its release, and I did an independent study reading all Steinbeck, so that album really resonated with me. I found a Youngtown U. zip-up hoodie on clearance at a sporting goods store in upstate NY a few years thereafter and picked it up due to the song. Then about 7 years ago I actually visited the town itself ONLY because of the song. There is a dive bar there that has several drinks named after Bruce songs, and I had to go to it to have a beer. I wanted to purchase one of the pint glasses from the bar, but they were all out of the ones that they sell to the public. I asked the bartender if I could buy the one I was using, and told her I'd driven all the way there from CT because Y-Town was my favorite Bruce song, and I absolutely had to come to this bar and I wanted the glass as a memento to remember it all. She said, I'll tell you what....it's pretty busy in here right now, but if you hang around for a bit until after the crowd thins out, I'll sell you that glass. There isn't another glass I own that I treasure as much!! smileys with beer

Incidentally, my top 3 are:
Youngstown
Tougher Than The Rest
The River (live from the live 75/85 box) - I have a very similar relationship with my dad that Bruce tells in that intro story, and it always touches me deep, and when he hits the opening notes of that harp, I get goosebumps EVERY time without fail. Just got em now, simply by typing it! LOL

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 10, 2022 06:34

The full band live version of Youngstown is pretty great, yes.

I had forgotten about Ghost of Tom Joad. It is a strong record, and likely his best effort since Tunnel of Love.

Like I said earlier, outside of 4 strong tracks, I thought the Rising was overrated. It was interesting and appropriate that the Boss would craft a direct response to 9/11, but overall the LP is weighted down by some weak songwriting. At least in my opinion.

As for TP, Highway Companion is a mighty fine LP. Looking at my post, I did mention it almost as an afterthought. That was a mistake. It's strong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-10 06:34 by JimmyTheSaint.

Date: October 10, 2022 09:36

Speaking of Bruce treasures, my all-time favorite Bruce show (and I've seen him 22 times including Broadway) was on his home turf in Newark, NJ in early 2016.

I was lucky in the pit lottery and landed 2nd row, dead center at the mini-catwalk.

After "Rosalita", Bruce gave me his guitar pick. (OK, I had to beg him a little bit.) It's the size of a bass pick with no identification. It's got some sandpaper-like material applied to keep it from slipping. Bruce doesn't give out those picks at shows a whole lot. Sometimes you may see him give a harmonica to a little girl.

Story gets better. The following day I was flying out to Toronto for another show there. I got to the airport early - and who's at the Air Canada check-in counter before me? Max Weinberg!

Max went to a Dunkin' and I politely asked him to sign my ticket stub from the previous night.

Turns out half the band and their road crew was on the same commercial flight with me from Newark to Toronto. I got Garry, Nils and Charlie to sign my ticket stub at the gate as well. Pretty much everyone else was there except Bruce, Patti, Steve and Roy.

It felt kind of weird to sit back in coach of that tiny plane surrounded by the band's technicians and crew, faces I knew from dozens of shows before. "Oh, there's Kevin Buell, his guitar tech..."

(The band members flew first class.)

Oh gosh - GA was 150 USD back then and if you were lucky in the lottery, you made the pit. I liked that system way better than lining up (for days). They've obviously done away with it now in the US arena shows with a mainly seated floor and a guaranteed "GA Pit."

In Europe in 2023 they're mostly doing tiered GA which is fine by me, I can pay a little extra so I'm guaranteed a place in the pit/front of stage section. I guess only Dublin was all "GA"?

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-10 10:16 by Topi.

Date: October 10, 2022 13:10

Topi
Speaking of Bruce treasures, my all-time favorite Bruce show (and I've seen him 22 times including Broadway) was on his home turf in Newark, NJ in early 2016.

I was lucky in the pit lottery and landed 2nd row, dead center at the mini-catwalk.

After "Rosalita", Bruce gave me his guitar pick. (OK, I had to beg him a little bit.) It's the size of a bass pick with no identification. It's got some sandpaper-like material applied to keep it from slipping. Bruce doesn't give out those picks at shows a whole lot. Sometimes you may see him give a harmonica to a little girl.

Story gets better. The following day I was flying out to Toronto for another show there. I got to the airport early - and who's at the Air Canada check-in counter before me? Max Weinberg!

Max went to a Dunkin' and I politely asked him to sign my ticket stub from the previous night.

Turns out half the band and their road crew was on the same commercial flight with me from Newark to Toronto. I got Garry, Nils and Charlie to sign my ticket stub at the gate as well. Pretty much everyone else was there except Bruce, Patti, Steve and Roy.

It felt kind of weird to sit back in coach of that tiny plane surrounded by the band's technicians and crew, faces I knew from dozens of shows before. "Oh, there's Kevin Buell, his guitar tech..."

(The band members flew first class.)

Oh gosh - GA was 150 USD back then and if you were lucky in the lottery, you made the pit. I liked that system way better than lining up (for days). They've obviously done away with it now in the US arena shows with a mainly seated floor and a guaranteed "GA Pit."

In Europe in 2023 they're mostly doing tiered GA which is fine by me, I can pay a little extra so I'm guaranteed a place in the pit/front of stage section. I guess only Dublin was all "GA"?

I had great seats on the floor (about 7th row or so) for the original River tour. During the show Bruce came out into the crowd for a song. He stood on the chair directly in front of me. At the end of the song he gave me a high five & ran back to the stage. That's as close as I've come to meeting him.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 10, 2022 18:03

I listened to the new single. Two times. Then I had had enough. Sometimes songs are just not meant for you. Letter to you - the album before this, on the other hand - has 10-12 songs that I love dearly. smiling smiley

Date: October 12, 2022 19:11

BST Hyde Park has now issued an update for Festicket customers:

[www.bst-hydepark.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 14, 2022 03:34

Topi

[www.bst-hydepark.com]

Dynamic Pricing and then this…there’s no end to the mess surrounding the ticketing for Bruce Springsteen’s tour 2023.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 14, 2022 11:30

RisingStone
Topi

[www.bst-hydepark.com]

Dynamic Pricing and then this…there’s no end to the mess surrounding the ticketing for Bruce Springsteen’s tour 2023.

[twitter.com]

I dislike dynamic pricing as much as the next bloke but to be fair it’s not really Bruce or BST’s fault a ticket provider went bust

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 14, 2022 14:22

yorkshirestone
RisingStone
Topi

[www.bst-hydepark.com]

[twitter.com]

I dislike dynamic pricing as much as the next bloke but to be fair it’s not really Bruce or BST’s fault a ticket provider went bust

Fair enough.

Two different types of messes.

OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 14, 2022 15:16

Bruce Springsteen - Nightshift (Official Video)

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 14, 2022 18:12

RisingStone
yorkshirestone
RisingStone
Topi

[www.bst-hydepark.com]

[twitter.com]

Fair enough.

Two different types of messes.
True!

Date: October 28, 2022 16:02

Bruce Springsteen - Don't Play That Song (Official Video)

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 30, 2022 15:20

Bruce going to be on with Stern!!...bringing his guitar supposedly...and Howard actually going in to the studio for this one....he hasn't gone in studio in a long time due to COVID.

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: October 30, 2022 16:49

JimmyTheSaint

I agree with a lot of what you have above. There is a fair amount of what I would consider to be filler on the Rising. I agree with your assessment on the strongest tracks from The Rising for the most part though I would add My City of Ruins to that list and perhaps Paradise.

Respectfully very much disagree on Devils and Dust as I think Devils and Dust is an absolute gem. I honestly consider Devils and Dust and Western Stars to be his strongest showings as a writer since Tunnel of Love.

Magic, Wrecking Ball, and Letter to You all have their moments as you note. Ghosts in my opinion is an extremely strong track. I’m also a big fan of I’ll See You in My Dreams. Beyond those tracks and the older material (Janey, Song for Orphans, If I Were the Priest), the album is a little lacking in totality. Pretty consistent with Magic and Wrecking Ball in that has great tracks but isn’t a complete gem per se from start to finish or even for mostly start to finish. Worth the hour or so to listen to once from start to finish and then select your favorites from there smiling smiley

I don’t know as much about Tom’s material as I do about Bruce, but did want to chime in on the Bruce part given that he is my favorite songwriter/artist.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 1, 2022 14:03

I haven’t heard the whole Stern interview yet, but Howard and Bruce talk about the Stones a number of times … they even talk about open-G tuning and Bruce played the SMU riff.

Date: November 1, 2022 16:48

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 1, 2022 18:26

The interview was good yesterday but if you want to hear the Stern show talking about Bruce in their prime, its this:

[vocaroo.com] (6 minutes in)

As a huge Bruce fan, this has always been the best thing. Gotta have a sense of humor.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 1, 2022 19:25

I love Bruce, but I’m finding it harder and harder to listen to him at length. A lot of self-awareness but, paradoxically, almost no humility left.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 1, 2022 19:30

Face it, Bruce has become like all the rest. Highest prices sufferable for Greatest Hits for the rubes. They want Glory Days in the encore. The real Glory Days was the Tunnel of Love tour, 1988, with Bruce doing solo work and appearing with the E Street Band.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 1, 2022 20:08

bye bye johnny

On the one about fans thinking he changed: I was hoping he'd talk about the dynamic pricing fiasco, but he didn't.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 1, 2022 20:17

MelBelli
I love Bruce, but I’m finding it harder and harder to listen to him at length. A lot of self-awareness but, paradoxically, almost no humility left.

That Springsteen bores the daylights out of me...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1470
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home