Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 101
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 26, 2022 19:39

Topi
Yes, Bruce Inc. totally signed off on it. No question.
While smiling all the way to the bank

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: July 26, 2022 23:50

Bruce’s complete silence on this sh*t-show and the upset it has caused his long-time fans is probably the most disturbing aspect. $800 broadway tickets, Jeep ads, hanging out with politicians, $500 million catalog sale, and now this. What a sad way to end a career.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 27, 2022 00:06

Angus MacBagpipe
Bruce’s complete silence on this sh*t-show and the upset it has caused his long-time fans is probably the most disturbing aspect. $800 broadway tickets, Jeep ads, hanging out with politicians, $500 million catalog sale, and now this. What a sad way to end a career.

It's not he has an elaborate stage/light show. It's been close to the same since the late 70s basically. With Roger Waters for instance you can see where the money goes in the production. I still would like to go but not at any cost.

OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 27, 2022 02:13

The Case of the $5,000 Springsteen Tickets

Triumphant fans showed up in Ticketmaster’s queue with special codes, only to encounter its “dynamic pricing” system. Was the Boss OK with that?

By Ron Lieber
July 26, 2022

After days of this sort of commentary, Mr. Springsteen and his camp had heard enough. “In pricing tickets for this tour, we looked carefully at what our peers have been doing,” his manager, Jon Landau, said in a statement. “We chose prices that are lower than some and on par with others.

“Regardless of the commentary about a modest number of tickets costing $1,000 or more, our true average ticket price has been in the mid-$200 range,” he continued. “I believe that in today’s environment, that is a fair price to see someone universally regarded as among the very greatest artists of his generation.”

Full article > [www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 02:13 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 27, 2022 04:18

bye bye johnny
The Case of the $5,000 Springsteen Tickets

Triumphant fans showed up in Ticketmaster’s queue with special codes, only to encounter its “dynamic pricing” system. Was the Boss OK with that?

By Ron Lieber
July 26, 2022

After days of this sort of commentary, Mr. Springsteen and his camp had heard enough. “In pricing tickets for this tour, we looked carefully at what our peers have been doing,” his manager, Jon Landau, said in a statement. “We chose prices that are lower than some and on par with others.

“Regardless of the commentary about a modest number of tickets costing $1,000 or more, our true average ticket price has been in the mid-$200 range,” he continued. “I believe that in today’s environment, that is a fair price to see someone universally regarded as among the very greatest artists of his generation.”

Full article > [www.nytimes.com]

I couldn’t open the whole article. I see a lot of “we’s” in there from his manager. Take ownership, Bruce, speak for yourself and say “I am ok with this.” He might as well be a politician the way he has been dodging addressing this controversy directly himself.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 27, 2022 11:34

Full article:

For in-the-know fans who wanted to buy Bruce Springsteen tickets this month, applying for a special Ticketmaster access code seemed the best way to beat long odds. If they got one, they would have an opportunity to try to make it to the front of the service’s virtual queues on the days when batches of shows were up for sale.

Only then, however, did countless numbers of them discover that the normally priced tickets they had been hoping to buy were nowhere to be found. Instead, a demand-driven dynamic pricing system had taken hold — with someone, somewhere having decided that remaining seats should cost many times the normal price, up to $5,500 or so.

To be clear, no scalpers were selling those tickets. Instead, a new definition of face value had emerged, one that many fans had never encountered. Confusion reigned, and anguished reactions poured forth in Facebook fan groups, into my inbox and onto Twitter.

This tweet, from Bill Werde, a former Billboard editorial director who writes a newsletter about the music industry, made my heart hurt: “Hard to believe that Bruce Springsteen turned out to be the one to make music fans miss scalpers.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Indeed, people did buy nearly all the tickets. On Tuesday morning, 90,000 people were in the queue seeking seats for a show in Philadelphia, according to the event’s promoter. Still, a triumphant return to the stage — Mr. Springsteen has not performed with his band on a big U.S. tour since 2016 — is now another chapter in the decades-long tale of how buying tickets for in-demand events gets more unpleasant over time.

Ticketmaster and Mr. Springsteen have some history. In 2009, Ticketmaster tried to nudge his fans into its proprietary, StubHub-like resale system featuring scalperlike prices.

ADVERTISEMENT

That didn’t go over well.

“The abuse of our fans and our trust by Ticketmaster has made us as furious as it has made many of you,” Mr. Springsteen said in a statement at the time. The New Jersey attorney general got involved, Ticketmaster settled her investigation, and its chief executive issued a groveling apology.

Since then, Ticketmaster, which is handling most of the U.S. shows on Mr. Springsteen’s tour next year, has tried to wear the white hat, at least some of the time. In an interview in May on a podcast called “The Compound & Friends,” Michael Rapino, the chief executive of Ticketmaster’s parent company, Live Nation Entertainment, noted that many tickets for the best concerts and other events had a much higher street value the moment Ticketmaster sold them. Why shouldn’t an artist capture most of that excess? Prices that are too low open the door for scalpers to make more money — via the profit they gain from selling at the true market price — than performers make themselves.

If artists do want to capture that, Ticketmaster is prepared to help — and to take a fee for doing so. And that’s what Mr. Springsteen seemed to be doing here, using Ticketmaster’s “Official Platinum” system, in which seats are “dynamically priced up and down based on demand.”

You already know what happened next: Those platinum prices were plenty pricey. Outrage ensued. A congressman from New Jersey yelled into the wind.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This broke our spirit,” said Pete Maimone, a real estate agent in North Brunswick, N.J., who coordinates a face-value-only ticket exchange for longtime fans. He has shut it down for now, he told me, while fighting back tears. “We did not want to participate any longer in this clear-as-day scheme to extract money from fans,” he said.

Over the weekend, in an attempt to quiet things down, Mr. Springsteen’s camp gave Ticketmaster permission to release some numbers. Just 1.3 percent of Ticketmaster users paid more than $1,000 per ticket. Also, 88.2 percent of tickets were “sold at set prices,” according to Ticketmaster, though the remaining 11.8 percent are likely to represent more than 11.8 percent of the revenue per show, owing to their higher face value.

Who set these prices? “Promoters and artist representatives set pricing strategy and price range parameters on all tickets, including dynamic and fixed price points,” a Ticketmaster spokeswoman said in an emailed statement. “When there are far more people who want to attend an event than there are tickets available, prices go up.”

So, as many fans suspected, they are, indeed, the latest guinea pigs in a continuing experiment to try to determine the precise market price of ecstatic experiences for fans of live events.

Dynamic pricing isn’t new, though it was new to plenty of Mr. Springsteen’s fans this month.

But it’s not as though fans had not considered the core question: At what price comes Mr. Springsteen’s brand of pure, unbridled joy? His shows can last more than three hours, and he mixes up his set lists more than most major touring artists. Also, by the time he and his band hit the stage in 2023, it will have been seven years since they did so on a big U.S. tour.

All of that feeds the desire for fans to attend multiple shows, to make sure they don’t miss something rare. And, as a longtime fan, I can say this with exactly zero objectivity and even less scientific precision: His tickets are worth many, many hundreds of dollars.

As to exactly how many dollars, Ticketmaster lets artists set high — or low — prices. It will help them boost prices in real time, to leave less money on the table for scalpers. But it operates in that resale market, too, to compete with scalpers on their own turf. Ticketmaster’s gonna Ticketmaster.

Mr. Springsteen’s choices here were fraught. As a bard of the people, his silence on the situation became too conspicuous to those very people who fought and scraped to pay a lot of money to be in his presence.

Mr. Springsteen could have explained what happened here and also tried to change it. One possibility would have been — and could still be — to tell Ticketmaster not to do variable pricing anymore. Crowded House did that two years ago, claiming that the band hadn’t known that Ticketmaster was going to use it.

Placing a cap on how high the variable system is allowed to send ticket prices is another possibility. Maybe it has already happened in the last few days or will in the next few; again, we don’t know. The lower you set the cap, however, the more opportunity there is for scalpers to charge even more on the secondary market. A ban on transferring tickets altogether has promise, but it creates its own logistical, legal and equity challenges.

Not long ago, Mr. Werde of the trenchant tweet was in the Ticketmaster queue for Paul McCartney tickets. His 11-year-old son is a big Beatles fan. His turn arrived, he saw the prices just below $300 per ticket, and a kind of desperflation kicked in. What if this was his last chance to get in the arena at that price? The clock was ticking. He took a deep breath and jumped.

When he checked back before the show, similar seats were available at 50 to 70 percent less than what he had paid. “I’m a guy who ran Billboard, who runs a music business program at Syracuse, and I got screwed,” he said. “I paid hundreds of dollars that I didn’t need to pay, but because I didn’t have that guarantee, and I wasn’t willing to risk not getting a ticket, I made a mortgage payment to Paul McCartney.”

And was it worth it? “Yep.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 11:35 by Topi.

Date: July 27, 2022 11:37

Not much in that statement, really. They conveniently dodge the issue of dynamic pricing and "verified resale".

Date: July 27, 2022 13:33

Not a fan of Ticketmaster at all , but they are the scape goat in this as this was all designed and signed off by Bruce . Proof is in the silence from Bruce . Why not set the record straight and own up to it . Bruce could have a top 10 list of reasons why he is doing this . Or is he staying silent in anticipation of the tour start that due to lacking demand that the tickets prices come back down to earth . Or else he will be seeing empty seats which is hard to imagine . Same as on Stones tours as tickets and prices drop closer to show time . Putting the squeeze on the scalper . I would say is pretty ingenious and Bruce figures why should the scalper get the money from my labor ?

Date: July 27, 2022 13:36

A friend here in Seattle put in for the verified fan. She listed Seattle as first choice, Portland second. Well, she got Portland & then didn't buy tickets thinking Seattle was coming. It wasn't coming. I just listed Seattle & got the code for later today. Hopefully since I'm going for lower price ADA tickets, I should be ok.

Date: July 27, 2022 13:38

TheGreek
Not a fan of Ticketmaster at all , but they are the scape goat in this as this was all designed and signed off by Bruce . Proof is in the silence from Bruce . Why not set the record straight and own up to it . Bruce could have a top 10 list of reasons why he is doing this . Or is he staying silent in anticipation of the tour start that due to lacking demand that the tickets prices come back down to earth . Or else he will be seeing empty seats which is hard to imagine . Same as on Stones tours as tickets and prices drop closer to show time . Putting the squeeze on the scalper . I would say is pretty ingenious and Bruce figures why should the scalper get the money from my labor ?

The whole system is a cluster on all sides.

Date: July 27, 2022 14:04

I got two codes for Seattle and while I'll pass on it myself, will be trying for local friends today. All I'm after is a pair of face value GA pits - easy, right? winking smiley

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 27, 2022 14:06

They always act like dynamic pricing is done to screw the scalpers. If it was just that, there were other options like personalized tickets etc.

Date: July 27, 2022 14:08

TheGreek

The seats won't be empty in the end - the question is just how much can Ticketmaster gouge for them. It's about the average ticket price. They don't realistically expect to sell a seat for 5000 dollars, but if they flex it down to, say, 800-900 dollars, some fool might bite. "Hey, look, that $5000 seat is down to $900 now, I better act on it!"

That's what they're after, squeezing as much as possible out of the buyers.

If the Platinum prices don't sell, they'll just flex them back down to face value/Standard Admission price and the people will come running as it looks like they're getting a good deal.

As you said, it's very much like what happened with Stones tickets.

The prices will drop closer to show time in most markets. Maybe not so much in a place like MSG.

Date: July 27, 2022 14:12

StonedRambler
They always act like dynamic pricing is done to screw the scalpers. If it was just that, there were other options like personalized tickets etc.

Exactly. Dynamic pricing is not there for screwing the scalpers, it's mainly about making as much as possible on the average ticket. Now, Ticketmaster themselves are the scalpers. Just an excuse to charge more.

Also - and this is only what people are suspecting without having much proof - but if TM is really relisting ordinary tickets are "resale" themselves, then what one poster on BTX wrote is something to consider as well:

If they convert an astronomical platinum ticket to resale in their system, it lets them point the finger at an imaginary "scalper" for demanding so much money.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 14:19 by Topi.

Date: July 27, 2022 14:25

For Bruce Springsteen who always presented himself as the speaker of the working class this whole thing could get quite dangerous for him if he indeed agreed on all that.

As for the Stones, nobody is suprised about them being greedy bastards, they never claimed the opposite, they love making big money with this tours (even if it's always said the promoters make the prices and not the band).

Date: July 27, 2022 14:28

Topi
StonedRambler

Exactly. Dynamic pricing is not there for screwing the scalpers, it's mainly about making as much as possible on the average ticket. Now, Ticketmaster themselves are the scalpers. Just an excuse to charge more.

Also - and this is only what people are suspecting without having much proof - but if TM is really relisting ordinary tickets are "resale" themselves, then what one poster on BTX wrote is something to consider as well:

If they convert an astronomical platinum ticket to resale in their system, it lets them point the finger at an imaginary "scalper" for demanding so much money.
If this would be proven to be true at some point, it would be a huge scandal.

Date: July 27, 2022 14:37

Well, bands like Stones and Bruce are on a guaranteed fee anyway, so in the end it is the promoter who sets the prices to make their own margin. TM is the middle man charging the "delivery fees" for each transaction. (And as you'll know, the higher the price of a ticket, the higher the fees!)

Could be that Bruce demanded X million per show as his guarantee, promoter said "ok, but in that case, we're doing Platinum/dynamic pricing", Bruce said "no problem".

Might even be that the extra revenue is split between the artist and the promoter. Hey, didn't Bruce once say "nobody wins unless everybody wins"? grinning smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 27, 2022 14:43

Too Much Springsteen

[lefsetz.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 27, 2022 14:43

This is why I go pee when he starts a rant about "the little guy, common man, working class, etc."

Date: July 27, 2022 14:44

StonedRambler

True. But still, a lot of Bruce fans online are saying this is exactly what is taking place. Supposedly they kept track of seat rows/numbers that were first sold as "Platinum" in the Verified Fan presale, then suddenly labeled "Verified Resale" as the general onsale kicked in a few hours after.

I haven't gone as deep as making my own research on this issue, but it's being widely reported - or at least, speculated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 14:46 by Topi.

Date: July 27, 2022 15:03

Topi
StonedRambler

True. But still, a lot of Bruce fans online are saying this is exactly what is taking place. Supposedly they kept track of seat rows/numbers that were first sold as "Platinum" in the Verified Fan presale, then suddenly labeled "Verified Resale" as the general onsale kicked in a few hours after.

I haven't gone as deep as making my own research on this issue, but it's being widely reported - or at least, speculated.

Yeah. I remember reading an article about how Ticketmaster did scalp their own tickets to either Justin Timberlake or Justin Bieber. I’ll have to look for it…

Date: July 27, 2022 15:27

Topi
Well, bands like Stones and Bruce are on a guaranteed fee anyway, so in the end it is the promoter who sets the prices to make their own margin. TM is the middle man charging the "delivery fees" for each transaction. (And as you'll know, the higher the price of a ticket, the higher the fees!)

Could be that Bruce demanded X million per show as his guarantee, promoter said "ok, but in that case, we're doing Platinum/dynamic pricing", Bruce said "no problem".

Might even be that the extra revenue is split between the artist and the promoter. Hey, didn't Bruce once say "nobody wins unless everybody wins"? grinning smiley

Live Nation is the promoter & owns TM the middle man. That arrangement doesn't bode well for the consumer.

Date: July 27, 2022 16:59

crholmstrom
TheGreek

The whole system is a cluster on all sides.
Without a doubt .Geniuses all around figure they have to make up $ from COVID and who else can they put the squeeze on ? They are all in bed together .

Date: July 27, 2022 17:11

Topi
TheGreek

The seats won't be empty in the end - the question is just how much can Ticketmaster gouge for them. It's about the average ticket price. They don't realistically expect to sell a seat for 5000 dollars, but if they flex it down to, say, 800-900 dollars, some fool might bite. "Hey, look, that $5000 seat is down to $900 now, I better act on it!"

That's what they're after, squeezing as much as possible out of the buyers.

If the Platinum prices don't sell, they'll just flex them back down to face value/Standard Admission price and the people will come running as it looks like they're getting a good deal.

As you said, it's very much like what happened with Stones tickets.

The prices will drop closer to show time in most markets. Maybe not so much in a place like MSG.
I agree 100% I had a budget and stuck with it (500 a pop and not a penny more ) MSG is a different beast all together . You are so right in the consumer will think the markdown from $5g to $900 will look like the deal of the century and hey just maybe that is Ticketmaster grand scheme along with Bruce . Also they are banking on the "impulse" part of folks brains to kick in and go for the higher prices and Bruce and E-Street has not toured since 2016 .

Date: July 27, 2022 17:19

StonedRambler
For Bruce Springsteen who always presented himself as the speaker of the working class this whole thing could get quite dangerous for him if he indeed agreed on all that.

As for the Stones, nobody is suprised about them being greedy bastards, they never claimed the opposite, they love making big money with this tours (even if it's always said the promoters make the prices and not the band).
I think the artist sets a fee for his services and the promoters either go for it or not . It all starts with the artist holding his hand out. It's all like running water out of a tap for Ticketmaster . Show me the money . I have no illusions at all about how artists work .

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 27, 2022 18:42

TheGreek
StonedRambler

I think the artist sets a fee for his services and the promoters either go for it or not . It all starts with the artist holding his hand out. It's all like running water out of a tap for Ticketmaster . Show me the money . I have no illusions at all about how artists work .

Actually it is the promoter that sets the price for the artist. It’s guaranteed. Now it’s up to the promoter to get that money for the artist. If the promoter doesn’t get the funds to pay for the tour. He takes the loss not the artist.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 18:44 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: July 27, 2022 19:21

More Hot Rocks
TheGreek
StonedRambler

Actually it is the promoter that sets the price for the artist. It’s guaranteed. Now it’s up to the promoter to get that money for the artist. If the promoter doesn’t get the funds to pay for the tour. He takes the loss not the artist.
You are right that it's the promoter that takes the hit if tickets don't sell as the artist has already been paid his or her appearance fee. We do know a certain band that sets there appearance fee to show up and play ($ 4 million ? )

Date: July 27, 2022 19:37

More Hot Rocks
TheGreek
StonedRambler

True, but the artist is responsible for the prices in the end. I get that the artist may say I want to charge X amount and you guys have to recuperate. That doesn’t absolve the artist from any responsibility at all. If the artist wants more affordable tickets they can make it happen. Bottom line.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 27, 2022 19:41

I will venture that the cost of tickets means Springsteen will not be appearing at the Music Instrument Museum concert hall here in Phoenix. Seats about 300 and there ain't a bad seat in the house. I'd be willing to see Springsteen and others (Neil Young, Dylan, Stones, Plant and Krauss, a few others) at a top of $200 a seat at the museum, but performers would have to pay me to attend a stadium show or charge a reasonable price for arena shows. Many of them sure as f**k don't need the money. BTW, if you ever travel Phoenix way and have time, visit the Music Instrument Museum. Y'all won't be disappointed.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 27, 2022 19:52

More Hot Rocks
TheGreek
StonedRambler

Not necessarily. Maybe for the Village People at the local fairgrounds but major artists are often intimately involved in every detail, especially Bruce Springsteen who doesn't just have Livenation handle the tour. Not like he is going to let promoters and ticketing run wild with pricing while he takes the heat and no upside of taking the additional funds collected.

And not every band plays for flat fee. Guarantees often look like this:

1 million for 10,000 tickets, 90% of every ticket over, etc while some might have a guarantee based on the presumption of every ticket being sold or even just a flat percentage of tickets sold though less common as the promoter might not have an incentive to actually promote.

LiveNation might pay a flat fee for a tour in their venues with merchandising rights and include all staging, production, staffing, etc where all the artist has to do is show up.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home