Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 101
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 14, 2020 21:27

Topi
He no longer clocked 4 hour shows on his last tour (2016), but still did 3-hour shows routinely.

The record-breaking show (4 hours and 6 minutes) is from 2012. Right here in Helsinki, too!

3-hours are the routine length with a few shows in 2012-2013 clocking in at close to 4 - with that Helsinki show being the longest. The '4 hour shows' up to then were a bit of a myth. The longest documented shows ever (on the original 'river' tour in 1980) were a few minutes short of 4 hours - and the shows back then included an intermission.

there were however a few 4-hour shows on the 'River' US stadium leg in summer 2016

Metlife stadium 25/8 - 4 hours
Metlife stadium 30/8 - 4 hours 1 min
Philadelphia 7/9 - 4 hours 5 mins
Foxboro 14/9 - 4 hours 3 mins

Most shows that summer in Europe and the US were over 3 and a half hours long.

Date: December 14, 2020 21:40

mickschix
I admit to not being a big Bruce fan and not being familiar with his material...at least not the newer songs but I sure could tell they were way off key on " Ghosts" but I really did enjoy " See You In My Dreams". I liked the energy, and the obvious joy they felt performing LIVE on SNL...but I don't think I could live though a 4 hour Bruce marathon show....does he STILL play for that long....meaning his last tour?

Its a tv studio performance with all the technical flaws such an event has featuring a band who hadnt performed together in almost four years.

I didnt really expect a career defining performance, to be honest. I guess we've seen such little live music this year that its not surprising that people get over-analytical - but yes, like yourself I liked the energy despite the fact that they were a bit rough and ready.

On a tour it usually takes a few shows for his voice to iron out the rough edges I wouldnt expect that to change next time around.

The shows have never felt too long to me - although my body often tells me different the next day. If they're good enough (and they are) you dont want them to end.

I do think the shows will be trimmed a bit next time though. They're not getting any younger. He does tend to extend them as the tours progress though whereas most bands (including the Stones) do the opposite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-14 21:41 by Gazza.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 14, 2020 23:31

Amazing performances on SNL; Thank you Bruce and the band. The musicianship of that band is remarkable. Each of them have dedicated their lives( and still do when they can) playing music at a very high quality level and it shows.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 15, 2020 06:09

Topi
I admit I remembered wrong: he did indeed play a few four-hours shows on his last tour in 2016 as well. Thanks for that Reddit link, Happy24.

@Chris Fountain: I think people just wanted to point out that "four hours" is not a standard for Bruce, that's all. And yes, his shows have pretty much always been a lot longer than your average-length Stones show.

@jbwelda: I never thought of long shows as "drudgery" or of less quality. The key with Bruce is that the setlist always changes, even on the fly, as he does a lot of audibles and requests from the crowd. He has a written setlist, but only for reference - the actual setlist played is often not what he wrote before the show. So there's almost always that element of surprise.

And it's not always four or five guitars live on stage. Often times it's three: Bruce, Nils and Stevie.

I saw my first Bruce Springsteen show at the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium on 9/24/1984 which turned out to be the day after Bruce's 35th birthday. I did not know what to expect. (With a brief intermission between sets), the whole show was something like 4 hours long, and believe me, the length (nor the fact that he had a bigger ensemble than the Stones) was not drudgery and did not detract from what I still consider to be (especially for the many rock shows I have attended) arguably the single best concert of my life that touched me emotionally and spiritually-and made me an instant convert! I walked out of that auditorium physically drained-like I had attended the best sock hop, dance party ever on the planet!

I love the Stones, they are my first and foremost band, but this Bruce concert experience (which took me on a roller coaster of emotions including joy, sadness, euphoria) spoiled the hell out of me for years to come! Since that time, I caught something like 14 more Bruce shows (all great).

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-15 14:24 by Sighunt.

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: December 15, 2020 10:25

Topi

And it's not always four or five guitars live on stage. Often times it's three: Bruce, Nils and Stevie.

Now, Soozie and Patti may fill in on acoustic, but Soozie also plays violin on manys songs. Hell, Patti isn't often even with the band when they tour outside the USA. (And I actually prefer it that way...;-))

exactly. Patti nowadays tours rarely with the ESB. Soozie alternates between violin, acoustic guitar and percussion (and backing vocals).
Bruce himself does not play guitar on every song. Nils also plays dobro, banjo and pedal steel, and Stevie also plays mandolin.

anyway, the real overkill was in 2014, when the ESB toured with Tom Morello as a special guest. when Steve was present (at about half the shows of a short 34-show tour), on some songs there were FOUR electric guitars + one acoustic (Soozie). coincidentally (or not), Patti and Steve were never present at the same shows, otherwise on some songs we might have no less than SIX guitars!!!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 15, 2020 10:53

I like Patti's voice when she just sings. But when she reverberates her voice like Stevie Nicks it's a little annoying. I have no idea why Nicks "jumped the shark" and started singing like someone was squeezing her arm. She was just fine on Little Lies and Gypsy

OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 21, 2021 13:50

From "Celebrating America", January 20, 2021:

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 21, 2021 14:54

Bruce was OK, but to me, Foo Fighters were the best act last night.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 21, 2021 16:26

Bruce was okay, but as I pointed out to she who must be obeyed and who still lusts after Bruce, he appears to have picked up a little weight. Perhaps it's Covid 15, which, my doctor explained, when he mentioned my weight at my last physical, is the 15 pounds many of us have picked up baking and cooking over the course of the pandemic.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 21, 2021 18:41

Does someone have a video of "Ghosts" from the SNL show? The one I find on Youtube seems to be restricted. You have to be invited to be able to see it.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 28, 2021 22:34

Bruce's song choice was ok I suppose at Joe Biden's inauguration concert, but Born in the USA would of been the perfect song standing in front of President Lincoln's statue, ya couldn't get any more American than that smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: January 29, 2021 05:11

The lyrics of Born in the USA are actually pretty angry and full of heartbreak and disappointment from the viewpoint of a disillusioned soldier returning home Vietnam. Instead of parades with flag waving citizens celebrating his patriotic sacrifice, he found rejection and hopelessness in this USA that didn't give a damn about him or his troubles.

So, not really the warm, feel good vibe that it may appear to convey. Always thought it was funny how Ronald Reagan completely missed that and used it on the campaign trail where his admirers sang along with clueless gusto.

PS, unless of course you knew all that, then, ya know, don't mind me????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-29 05:14 by shawnriffhard1.

Date: January 29, 2021 18:46

colonial
Bruce's song choice was ok I suppose at Joe Biden's inauguration concert, but Born in the USA would of been the perfect song standing in front of President Lincoln's statue, ya couldn't get any more American than that smoking smiley

It'd have been 100% the wrong choice if you were to read the lyrics.....

OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 7, 2021 17:45

How Bruce Springsteen Agreed To Do a Super Bowl Commercial for Jeep

By Brian Steinberg
February 6, 2021

[variety.com]

--

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: February 8, 2021 03:28

Bruce does a Jeep ad telling everyone to meet in the “middle”?
Middle of what? Between true racial justice and systemic racism?
Between acting on climate change and doing nothing?
Well, I guess buying a new Jeep might be the middle.
I’m a big fan, but I don’t really get his point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-08 03:31 by Angus MacBagpipe.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 8, 2021 04:38

You would be better off with a Toyota, though not sure how that fits in here.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 8, 2021 07:00

Angus MacBagpipe
Bruce does a Jeep ad telling everyone to meet in the “middle”?
Middle of what? Between true racial justice and systemic racism?
Between acting on climate change and doing nothing?
Well, I guess buying a new Jeep might be the middle.
I’m a big fan, but I don’t really get his point.

Not sure about this "Lower 48" - there aren't 96 states.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 8, 2021 07:48

He sounds like he can barely talk. God damn he's gettin old.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 8, 2021 17:34

WTF was that commercial all about...? So sick of Springsteen trying to be the voice and soul of America..... man what a bore. Selling jeeps now.....
The guy is from the Jersey shore and he was trying to look like Clint Eastwood..
Also someone ought to tell him that new Marine haircut looks like crap.

Do what you do best, play rock n roll music. Leave the rest to Woody Guthrie.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 8, 2021 17:53

bob r
WTF was that commercial all about...? So sick of Springsteen trying to be the voice and soul of America..... man what a bore. Selling jeeps now.....
The guy is from the Jersey shore and he was trying to look like Clint Eastwood..

I had to laugh at this...what a weird comment.

1st: Clint is from San Francisco, is he allowed to look like Clint?

2nd: It is acting, which involves...acting.

3rd: Which men do you find to have acceptable haircuts?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 8, 2021 18:36

To paraphrase Frank Zappa "Shut up and play yer guitar".

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 8, 2021 18:56

bob r

According to what I heard (and read) about the commercial even before it aired, both Springsteen and Jeep call for unity and political centrism. I am a big Bruce fan, seen him more than a dozen times. The ad didn't sit right with me first of all because I don't like the idea of Bruce (albeit indirectly) hawking and doing a car commercial. It cheapened his message. I would advice him- just stick to what you do best-sing and play the guitar! Let the music speak for itself.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-10 01:11 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 8, 2021 20:29

Wondering what his next fake persona will be...

Maybe a yodeler living up in the Alps?

Or a big kahuna surfer from Hawaii?

Date: February 8, 2021 20:34

Looks like the commercial worked - people are talking about Bruce Springsteen.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 8, 2021 20:43

I found it quite encouraging and inspiring. Worst thing about it was the Jeep part. And if you cannot find anything worse to say about the man than his haircut, I say fuk you, you try to do something for a change instead of criticizing someone for their physical attributes. Its easy to sit back and take potshots; much harder to turn a mere commercial into an inspirational sermon. I never particularly liked his music but Springsteen holds a big place in my heart just for what he has chosen to do: not just shut up and play his guitar but try to make a difference in the world through his works. Its way more than the Stones ever aspired to, thats for sure.

jb

Date: February 8, 2021 20:55

Perhaps music fans should shut up and just listen and not express any political babble since a lot of people think artists should just shut up and play and shouldn't express any political stances, even when they aren't directly political. Seeing that Bruce is a US citizen and the Stones are not, he certainly has his right to do what the hell he wants - and he does.

Don't like it? Don't watch. No one is forcing anyone to watch it. It's no different than thinking a song or an album sucks.

If he was just some dude doing that commercial nobody would be saying anything. It all sounds like an audio version of a wet newspaper.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 8, 2021 21:11

I just get tired of celebs talking down to me like I don't have enough sense to make up my own mind. Actually, his message (in this instance) is quite uplifting.

It always bores me to death to hear his political rants in concert - whichever side of the fence one is on. Just play "She's The One " with the "Not Fade Away" opening.

Date: February 8, 2021 21:24

Elmo Lewis
I just get tired of celebs talking down to me like I don't have enough sense to make up my own mind. Actually, his message (in this instance) is quite uplifting.

It always bores me to death to hear his political rants in concert - whichever side of the fence one is on. Just play "She's The One " with the "Not Fade Away" opening.

I'm all for going to a concert, stadium, club, etc and not hearing anything political. Going to a show is an escape. Or a pause button. It's not necessarily "entertain me", it's "YESSSSS!!!!!!!" to something loud and fun.

I can understand how people don't want to hear someone rant about whatever politically at a show. It's not the SKIP ADS button on YouTube. Then there are the ones that don't do it between songs, they do it in the song.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: February 8, 2021 22:28

I didn't hear this sentiment for the last 4 years. NOW they want everybody to "unify" and "meet in the middle". The hypocrisy makes me wanna puke.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 8, 2021 22:40

bob r

The usual Bruce shtick. He's everyman, he's a modern day folkie. He's selling Jeeps but wants to give it some high-minded purpose.
Bland megalomania.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home