Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 101
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 23, 2020 14:00

I really love "Ghosts" smileys with beer

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 23, 2020 15:10

My favorite might be "Burnin' Train".

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 23, 2020 19:01

This record makes me think of The Promise outtakes released in 2010, the double album. Like a grown up cousin...Timeless beauty...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 23, 2020 19:15

KRiffhard
I really love "Ghosts" smileys with beer

Could have been a great lead off track, or follow up to One Minute You're Here.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 23, 2020 19:47

Heading out to record store to pick up Bruce & Jeff Tweedy cds. Little reward to myself for getting through some huge government bureaucracy with good results. Months of work but the results will last for whatever time I have left (in theory).

Date: October 23, 2020 20:00

So far it sounds like a solid album.

Date: October 23, 2020 20:01

Bjorn
This record makes me think of The Promise outtakes released in 2010, the double album. Like a grown up cousin...Timeless beauty...

Agreed. I immediately thought that "Letter To You" sounded a lot like "The Little Things My Baby Does" off that Darkness box set you mentioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-23 20:01 by Topi.

Date: October 23, 2020 20:48

Bjorn

Also, speaking of Darkness:

From NPR Morning Edition today (10/23):

"I had cut a song on the record called "Janey Needs a Shooter" earlier on, for a one-off for Record Store Day. But when I listened back to it, it was the closest thing the band had ever sounded to Darkness On The Edge of Town. You know, that was because we all played together and sang at one time, and because we relied only on the instrumentation of the band and no overdubs. So I said, well, I'd be interested in making a record where we return to the template of Darkness On The Edge of Town."

Date: October 23, 2020 23:37

thumbs up

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 24, 2020 00:59

DandelionPowderman

VG and Dagbladet, two of the biggest Norwegian papers, are lukewarm.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 24, 2020 01:09

THE AUSTRALIAN ----- 24 October 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 24, 2020 01:22

For anyone with access to BBC1, Bruce is a guest on tonight’s Graham Norton Show. It’ll be on BBC iPlayer after the event (episode 4 of the current series).
/

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 24, 2020 03:51

Every cd gets a four or five.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 24, 2020 07:23

black n blue
Its funny, I actually think this album is getting lower ratings because he's just put out so many albums that they aren't taking them super seriously anymore, whereas this one deserves higher ratings that other albums have gotten where they were totally being kind.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 24, 2020 11:36

RollingFreak
black n blue
Its funny, I actually think this album is getting lower ratings because he's just put out so many albums that they aren't taking them super seriously anymore, whereas this one deserves higher ratings that other albums have gotten where they were totally being kind.

I agree. Since The Rising, most of his records have had a few good songs & a lot of ok songs. I've been a fan since Darkness came out when I was in high school & was lucky enough to see him twice on that tour. The so so album streak ended for me with Western Stars. I really love that record, even more so the movie that went with it. Bruce was really stretching himself musically & that record bears repeated listens. I think the new one is just as strong. The songs are great & for the first time in a long time the band really shines in the studio. Recording this in 4 days rather than laboring for months was the way to go. Letter sounds very alive & of the moment. I don't buy a lot of cds these days but I got this one as soon as it came out. It's getting better with every listen. I hope we get to see him perform live again soon.

Date: October 24, 2020 16:05

On Warren Zevon´s live album Stand in the fire (1980), the second song is called Jeannie needs a shooter. "Warren Zevon/Bruce Springsteen", it says. Anyone knows the story behind this? Not the same chords or lyrics, but very similar in a way - to the Janey needs a shooter on Letter to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-24 16:25 by Bjorn.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 24, 2020 19:04

That song "One Minute You're here" is just simply outstanding!!!!!

Date: October 24, 2020 20:58

Bjorn
On Warren Zevon´s live album Stand in the fire (1980), the second song is called Jeannie needs a shooter. "Warren Zevon/Bruce Springsteen", it says. Anyone knows the story behind this? Not the same chords or lyrics, but very similar in a way - to the Janey needs a shooter on Letter to you.

[warrenzevon.fandom.com]

Date: October 24, 2020 21:04

noughties
DandelionPowderman

VG and Dagbladet, two of the biggest Norwegian papers, are lukewarm.

I know, although VG really had more positive to say than the dice showed.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: October 25, 2020 00:21

Currently on my second listen, only a few songs in.

My first impression after my first listen yesterday, was that perhaps the album gets better as it goes along. Like, the second half is perhaps actually better than the first?

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: October 25, 2020 00:53

Fantastic record that gets better with each listen. Bruce and the boys really nailed it!

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: October 25, 2020 01:08

'Ghosts' is just awesome!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff/ Same concept for Stones???
Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: October 25, 2020 17:21

So speaking of the recording concept I thought the Apple+ special was quite nice.
Yea its a commercial undertaking likely to boost album sales heck they even put others in video (Landau, uncles, cousins, etc). But the idea of a band in a room playing, recording, trading ideas and working their trade is interesting to so many

Age allowed this to happen as younger Bruce would have railed against it.

Which begs me to say it would be the greatest to see something similar by the Stones... but alas too many conflicting images, egos and talents for it to happen yet one wonders how many similar videos/films are in the vault.

This fan would love it to happen but if it isn't already in the vault it never will in this covid 19 world....

*not a huge Bruce fan but a "fan of some of his music" after having seen him in small (3200) Miami venue in late 74 early 75ish.

One who thinks all albums from the start to Born In USA are his golden era and all after too much blah for me with a few goodies sprinkled in The Rising I liked but again after 1984 not to much for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-25 17:28 by chevysales.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: October 25, 2020 17:22

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 25, 2020 20:07

Didn’t watch it, but Bruce did an interview on Irish TV Friday night. Not a Bruce fan, but said I’d post it.

[www.rte.ie]

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 9, 2020 03:16

Congratulations Bruce:

Bruce Springsteen makes history with new album Letter To You

[amp.nine.com.au]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 9, 2020 03:28

Sighunt
Congratulations Bruce:

Bruce Springsteen makes history with new album Letter To You

[amp.nine.com.au]

Great! One minute you are Here -- grows on you although sad as it questions mortality itself... love the album!!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 9, 2020 10:21

I am not not a big Springsteen fan, but I find this album truly fantastic. Letter to You, Janey, Last Man Standing, If I was the Priest, Song for Orphans are standouts for me.

I never liked this tough-guy-working-guy image and singing of him, but here is sounds older and vulnerable.

Mathijs

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 9, 2020 19:26

Mathijs
I am not not a big Springsteen fan, but I find this album truly fantastic. Letter to You, Janey, Last Man Standing, If I was the Priest, Song for Orphans are standouts for me.

I never liked this tough-guy-working-guy image and singing of him, but here is sounds older and vulnerable.

Mathijs

It helps that "Letter to You" was recorded in six days by a well rehearsed crack band with a minimum of overdubs. Bruce has always squeezed the soul out of his studio records by over producing them and tinkering too much with their purity. Kind of like another band we know....

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: November 13, 2020 16:11

Does anybody here own the two Steel Mills Retro Band Albums with Songs before Bruce became famous. Impossible to find for me.

Help would be appreciated. Thx

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home