Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 101
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 18, 2019 02:52

Only thing that looks bad there is his ridiculously dyed black hair. Otherwise he looks incredible.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 18, 2019 18:08

RollingFreak
Only thing that looks bad there is his ridiculously dyed black hair. Otherwise he looks incredible.

I see no evidence of him having any "work done" or hair dye.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 18, 2019 18:16

that´s not his own hair i guess, but it doesnt matter to me.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 18, 2019 18:25

Even modest ol' Charlie succumbed to having his bald spot covered up.

I don't care how clean you live, you don't look that good at 70 naturally. There's no doubt he's had some peels and minor eye lifts done. Certainly nothing overboard and nothing to be ashamed of.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 11, 2019 06:00

[www.jambase.com]

Bruce Springsteen Unearths Videos From 1973 & Announces ‘Western Stars’ Film
Jul 10, 201912:27 pm PDTScott Bernstein

Bruce Springsteen dug into his archives and has started to upload live performance footage filmed in 1973 to his YouTube channel. Additionally, Springsteen called into SiriusXM’s E Street Radio and revealed a film based on his recently released Western Stars studio album is coming by the end of 2019.

“We made a film of us playing the Western Stars album start to finish, plus some other things,” The Boss said as per Variety. “I knew we weren’t going to tour, so I figured this was the best way to do it.” Springsteen explained the film was directed by longtime collaborator Thom Zimmy. “[The film] is looking good — that will be exciting,” the 69-year-old musician said.

On May 1, 1973 Bruce Springsteen and his band played the 2,000-capacity Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles as the opening act for Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show and New Riders of The Purple Sage. The band, which wouldn’t be known as the E Street Band until September of 1974, featured original drummer Vini Lopez as well as saxophonist Clarence Clemons, bassist Garry Tallent and pianist Danny Federici. The Boss unveiled professionally-shot footage of “Spirit In The Night” and “Wild Billy’s Circus Story” from the Ahmanson Theatre concert on YouTube.

“Spirit In The Night” features Springsteen on piano, while “Wild Billy’s Circus Story” sees Bruce playing acoustic guitar. Bruce Springsteen recorded a studio version of the former for inclusion on his 1973 debut album, Greetings From Asbury Park, which came out four months before the concert in Los Angeles. A studio version of “Wild Billy’s Circus Story” would make it onto The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle when the LP was released in November of 1973.

[www.youtube.com]
Bruce Springsteen - Spirit In the Night (Live at the Ahmanson Theater, Los Angeles, 1973)

[www.youtube.com]
Wild Billy's Circus Story (Live at the Ahmanson Theater, Los Angeles, 1973)

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 11, 2019 06:51

Thanks Hopkins! The interview from yesterday morning is below. I heard the recorded conversation on the way home from work yesterday on E Street Radio (Sirius XM)

Source: Backstreets.com

KEEP YOUR EAR CLOSE TO THE PHONE

Springsteen calls to chat, announce Western Stars film, and say thanks

"I was just listening to the show, driving home from the gym, and I thought I'd call..." That's how Springsteen's impromptu 10-minute phoner started this morning, as he surprised Live From E Street Nation hosts Dave Marsh and Jim Rotolo on E Street Radio.

After a bit of chat about playing with Garry Tallent on Saturday night, Springsteen made some news: "We made a film of the Western Stars album," he said, likely explaining the performance footage we've seen in Thom Zimny's recent videos for "Tucson Train" and "Western Stars." "I play the record start to finish, along with some other things," Bruce continued. "Because we knew we weren't going to tour, so I was looking for a way to get some of the music live to an audience, so we figured that was the best way to do it.... It was a great time, we look forward to getting it to fans when we can."
As for Western Stars, Springsteen is not only "really proud" of the album itself, he's also excited by the response it's gotten: "Because I thought the record was a little off to the left, and I really didn't know what kind of response it was gonna get.... Seeing how the record was received, it was very exciting, and it made us look for how we could further that experience for the fans, without going out and playing live right now — because I'm still working on some other things, too."

Springsteen expressed a deep appreciation for his "great audience," one that "really follows me where I need to go.... They're not stuck in a rut, they don't only want to hear a specific group of songs, they're really adventurous — if I keep the quality of what I'm doing up, they're adventurous as far as where I want to go. And that's the greatest gift an audience can give an artist, is room to be who he is, create what he feels, and to know that you have open ears when you put that out. So it was very, very exciting to see the reception that the record got from the fans.

"If you want to be great," Bruce concluded, "you need to have a great audience. And it's something I'm very proud of over the years, how we developed together and how we've grown together."
Listen to the whole conversation below.

Just got off a 10-minute call with @Springsteen. "I wanted to see if the number really worked," he told E Street Radio hosts Dave Marsh and Jim Rotolo. pic.twitter.com/4hcA6201Ej
— SiriusXM (@SIRIUSXM) July 10, 2019

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 06:52 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 11, 2019 08:28

Wow. Looking forward to seeing him do the Western Stars album. It's an album that grows on you with repeated listens. Also enjoyed the videos from 1973. Those early albums had such great and different songs on them. Wild Billy is a gem I hadn't heard in years. Time to get in the wayback machine and revisit some of those early discs.

Date: July 11, 2019 08:47

Chris Fountain
Thanks Hopkins! The interview from yesterday morning is below. I heard the recorded conversation on the way home from work yesterday on E Street Radio (Sirius XM)

Source: Backstreets.com

KEEP YOUR EAR CLOSE TO THE PHONE

Springsteen calls to chat, announce Western Stars film, and say thanks

"I was just listening to the show, driving home from the gym, and I thought I'd call..." That's how Springsteen's impromptu 10-minute phoner started this morning, as he surprised Live From E Street Nation hosts Dave Marsh and Jim Rotolo on E Street Radio.

After a bit of chat about playing with Garry Tallent on Saturday night, Springsteen made some news: "We made a film of the Western Stars album," he said, likely explaining the performance footage we've seen in Thom Zimny's recent videos for "Tucson Train" and "Western Stars." "I play the record start to finish, along with some other things," Bruce continued. "Because we knew we weren't going to tour, so I was looking for a way to get some of the music live to an audience, so we figured that was the best way to do it.... It was a great time, we look forward to getting it to fans when we can."
As for Western Stars, Springsteen is not only "really proud" of the album itself, he's also excited by the response it's gotten: "Because I thought the record was a little off to the left, and I really didn't know what kind of response it was gonna get.... Seeing how the record was received, it was very exciting, and it made us look for how we could further that experience for the fans, without going out and playing live right now — because I'm still working on some other things, too."

Springsteen expressed a deep appreciation for his "great audience," one that "really follows me where I need to go.... They're not stuck in a rut, they don't only want to hear a specific group of songs, they're really adventurous — if I keep the quality of what I'm doing up, they're adventurous as far as where I want to go. And that's the greatest gift an audience can give an artist, is room to be who he is, create what he feels, and to know that you have open ears when you put that out. So it was very, very exciting to see the reception that the record got from the fans.

"If you want to be great," Bruce concluded, "you need to have a great audience. And it's something I'm very proud of over the years, how we developed together and how we've grown together."

Just got off a 10-minute call with @Springsteen. "I wanted to see if the number really worked," he told E Street Radio hosts Dave Marsh and Jim Rotolo. pic.twitter.com/4hcA6201Ej
— SiriusXM (@SIRIUSXM) July 10, 2019

Very cool, Chris. I just KNEW someone here would be on to this, not surprised it's you; thanks a lot for these links and a lot of stuff you've shared here.
Most of my fave Live stuff on a 'go to' basis for personal satisfaction
is the 1980 Arizona Show, tho I saw the Born in the USA stop in L.A.
without Little Steven, and tho I admire him greatly, Nils and Bruce did
super well getting all those numbers across on guitars.

(there are a lot of other shows from different tours that i like,
usually earlier the better personally...
Chris, do you anything about those players he put together
when Human Touch and Lucky Town all came out together the same year/

I USED to be able to find that clip and can't anymore.sad smiley
I think the guitarist might have been one of the guys from Lone Justice,
an L.A. band with impact that came and went pretty quickly....
if you know, please share; i liked that very spare thing when Bruce
has to rely as much on lead guitar as Fronting per se... it's gritty...
and those are overlooked, but damn good songs, some of em, imo, are brilliant.

Watching his 73 opening up act shows linked above now and duly impressed with this man.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2019 09:05

Deltics
RollingFreak

I see no evidence of him having any "work done" or hair dye.

You’ve gotta be kidding, Deltics! He’s dyed his hair. That is not natural.

Date: July 11, 2019 15:44

He doesn´t have to dye his hair because it is not his hair anyway. Imo he is wearing a wig (a toupee to be more accurate) for at least 10-15 years. In the 80/90s he had less hair than today, how come?

He wears a wig like John Wayne & Frank Sinatra did. But their wigs were ridiculous sights to see, Springsteen´s wig (a toupee to be more accurate) looks more natural but nevertheless you can easily tell it´s a wig (a toupee to be more accurate).

But I don´t care, this is showbiz and who wants a bald-headed Springsteen? I don´t mind.

If he only would start to write good music again (like he did in the 70s/early 80s), this would be more important to me than his toupees.

Date: July 11, 2019 16:23

These days they can do hair-transplant. Al Di Meola is a famous example.

Date: July 11, 2019 16:36

TheflyingDutchman
These days they can do hair-transplant. Al Di Meola is a famous example.
Fans on Springsteen sites have obsessed over his changing hairline and disappearing bald spots over the decades.

Who cares? He looks amazing...he has the financial means and found a doctor who did a great job.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 11, 2019 16:41

hopkins

Shane Fontayne. He can be seen in the MTV Plugged show - [www.youtube.com]

Date: July 12, 2019 20:48

bye bye johnny
hopkins

Shane Fontayne. He can be seen in the MTV Plugged show - [www.youtube.com]

Thank you; I hadn't seen it, and appreciate it.

Here's a bit from that tour I couldn't find.
You helped me track it down, ty!

[www.youtube.com]
Bruce Springsteen - Lucky Town - Stockholm 1993-05-28

"A track from the new The Lost 1993 TV Special 2 DVD set."
___

Finally found cool clip of the spare, stripped down band that I like;
it's from Stockholm; I hadn't realized he had marketed this period with
a DVD set. I like what's goin' down here. I guess they must have toured
in Spain too?
(I know for a fact that this drove Danny Federici to great
personal frustration, only relived when Bruce re-assembled The E Street
Band after a long layoff and a lot of personal changes)...

I think Human Touch and Lucky Town are brave little miracle albums.
a songwriter's workshop like a lot of his albums straight through.
(imo, selectively, not everything).

TY for informing me and linking that clip.
lol, I notice he was smart enough to bring along the Mighty Roy Bittan on keys;
I hadn't remembered that. It's good to hear his guitar work without the rest of it for a change. raw gritty stuff. i like it a lot.

He takes a long lead guitar ride here that is atmospheric and powerful.
Sweeping majestic, moaning, whining stuff; great show ending this up Bruce.
Wow. The other guy is leading too; they make it work. ! is my feeling.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 20:55 by hopkins.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 13, 2019 00:50

I heard the interview on Sirius, luckily just happened to be flipping stations and heard it.
It was great -- it sounded like a few guys talking, took me a minute to figure out it was real.

Date: July 13, 2019 03:36

wonderboy
I heard the interview on Sirius, luckily just happened to be flipping stations and heard it.
It was great -- it sounded like a few guys talking, took me a minute to figure out it was real.

What was great is that he was driving home from the gym and was talking just like a normal person. If not carefully listened , he was so down to earth that you wouldn't even consider him being the caller or a Rock Star.

He is just a great Human Being.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 03:37 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 13, 2019 03:45

I was talking with a guy I know who is working on the rehearsals for Springsteen's upcoming film project based on his latest album. He said it was really laid back and Bruce rarely showed up on time and often left early and treats everyone well. I've heard this from other people who worked for him as well. He seems like a good person in real life.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 05:37 by TornAndFried.

Date: July 13, 2019 04:11

TornAndFried
I was talking with a guys I know who are working on th rehearsals for Bruce's latest film project based on his new album. They said it was really laid back and Bruce rarely showed up on time and often left early and treated everyone well.

Yeah he was probably talking with E. Street radio or three children, or sister, even Patti. Families can be occupying but a great thing!. Don't forget the dogs.

I bet he has one!!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 14, 2019 06:04

Does anyone not like Springsteen? smoking smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 14, 2019 07:03

Paddy

He's probably a nice guy, but never cared for his music.

Date: July 14, 2019 12:49

During his call to E Street Radio (Sirius XM). He stated that a "Western Stars" tour could not be done. However, he is going to make a movie with all the songs in a setting such as the "Tucson Train: video and other scenery..

Now that is pure honesty and smart.

Date: July 14, 2019 16:05

Tucson Train is the only song on Western Stars that is worth listening twice. The rest sucks tremendously since the songs are boring and the cheesy orchestra drags the album down completely.

Date: July 14, 2019 18:39

HMS
Tucson Train is the only song on Western Stars that is worth listening twice. The rest sucks tremendously since the songs are boring and the cheesy orchestra drags the album down completely.
Give it a rest already. You are beyond obnoxious.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 14, 2019 18:51

keefriff99
HMS

There's a name for it...

[www.urbandictionary.com]

Date: July 14, 2019 19:02

Jah Paul
keefriff99
HMS

There's a name for it...

That's a great term.

I have no issue with people posting negative opinions...hell, I do all the time, but I TRY to be halfway respectful, and if it's a thread about someone or something I don't care for, I simply avoid it.

He's already repeatedly said that he doesn't like Western Stars. Fine...once is enough. Point made.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 14, 2019 21:54

keefriff99
Jah Paul
keefriff99
HMS

There's a name for it...

That's a great term.

I have no issue with people posting negative opinions...hell, I do all the time, but I TRY to be halfway respectful, and if it's a thread about someone or something I don't care for, I simply avoid it.

He's already repeatedly said that he doesn't like Western Stars. Fine...once is enough. Point made.

Really! Just like The Who thread, we get it, you don't like the Who anymore.

Date: July 15, 2019 00:40

I just got through hearing "Moonlight Hotel" on a quick trip to the store. What a song!

There are so many great songs on the album. Right now "The Wayfarer" is my fav.

In this album he doesn't mention one person's name which I like!

Date: July 15, 2019 02:52

MKjan
Paddy

I’m with you on this, seems like a good guy but I could never take to his music, I went to see him live just to make sure I wasn’t missing out, but I spent an 90 minutes looking at his drummer and fecked off... Max is a great drummer...

Springsteen huffs and puffs while saying nothing much to me it seems.

Date: July 15, 2019 04:43

Paddy
MKjan
Paddy

I’m with you on this, seems like a good guy but I could never take to his music, I went to see him live just to make sure I wasn’t missing out, but I spent an 90 minutes looking at his drummer and fecked off... Max is a great drummer...

Springsteen huffs and puffs while saying nothing much to me it seems.

Troll and Tread Crapper spew your hate at yourself and maybe you will figure things out.

Date: July 15, 2019 04:47

I can appreciate his place in music and certainly he’s earned it. Some of his songs are all time classics. But he never grabbed me, I’m not sure why. Like I said, possibly it’s his delivery. I just wondered if anyone else has failed to be grasped by the Bruce.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home