Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 102
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen 2016 - The River Tour and more
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 31, 2017 19:00

keefriff99

It will be acoustic guitar and piano, and a lot of talking.

It will certainly still be taxing on his vocal cords at his age, but he's not going to be doing his usual stadium rock act.

I am no expert, but I read that mixing singing with speech is very demanding on vocal cords. But yeah, Bruce probably knows a bit more about that than me and he surely knows what he's doing.

Date: August 31, 2017 19:08

Elmo Lewis
$800 tickets on Broadway - gotta admire his devotion to the common man. thumbs down

Yeah, it is much more than a lot, but writing this on a forum where people proudly "bite the bullet" and buy 799 Euro tickets for front of the stage at a stadium or even pay couple of hundreds extra to have it with a poster...well... And the Sones also didn't start and build their image on playing for the bourgeois classes, did they?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-01 16:54 by Happy24.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 31, 2017 19:12

In 2005 I seen Bruce in an arena doing a solo acoustic tour and the show was well over two hours and the talking was not that much different banter wise than an E-Street show .One thing about the Boss you get your money's worth of entertainment and I can almost swear under oath that fans will go away and be blown away by the sheer magnitude of his greatness .I for one would not sweat it about his voice one bit because he is the consummate professional that delivers on such a high level of quality .One of the best ever singer / songwriter / storyteller thru his lyrics and a painter of landscapes with his lyricism .Truly one of the few that can have a acoustic guitar and a microphone and bring it smiling smileylike only Bob Dylan/ Neil Young can .

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 2, 2017 06:37

He's putting out a lot of archive shows too lately. In the past month or so, he released his last E Street show at the Spectrum from 2009, two soundboards from 1977, and a solo acoustic from Belfast in 1996.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 17, 2018 20:01

ab
He's putting out a lot of archive shows too lately.

The latest release is a stunner, highly recommended!
Didn't know they were so hot in 2007!

[live.brucespringsteen.net]

Date: April 17, 2018 20:42

Rank Stranger
ab

are these download only?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 17, 2018 20:48

keefriffhard4life
Rank Stranger
ab

are these download only?

Click on "Buy Show"...

MP3
Lossless
HD-Audio
DSD
CD
CD+MP3

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 17, 2018 20:48

No; cds 23 $.

I never ordered CDs there, don't even know if they come with artwork.

Here's the fan made ( not my work! ) artwork from the Backstreets forum:

[wetransfer.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-17 20:56 by Rank Stranger.

OT: Bruce Springsteen Archives
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 17, 2018 21:34

Rank Stranger

Indeed. And especially poignant as it was Danny Federici's last full show with the E Street Band. A couple of days later it was announced he was taking a leave of absence for treatment of melanoma.

Danny joined the band for a handful of songs at a show in Indianapolis in March 2008. He passed away the following month.

RIP Phantom

Date: April 17, 2018 22:10

Jah Paul
keefriffhard4life
Rank Stranger
ab

are these download only?

Click on "Buy Show"...

MP3
Lossless
HD-Audio
DSD
CD
CD+MP3

thank you. any clue if these are pressed silver cd's?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 17, 2018 22:33

keefriffhard4life

thank you. any clue if these are pressed silver cd's?

[brucehelp.nugs.net]-

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 17, 2018 23:00

I have been very impressed with these archive releases, in particular the complete Tunnel of Love show that was partially broadcast on the radio in July 1988. Hot performance! The complete audio of the last Madison Square Garden show from the reunion tour in 2000 ain't too shabby either....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 20, 2018 04:02

Sighunt
I have been very impressed with these archive releases, in particular the complete Tunnel of Love show that was partially broadcast on the radio in July 1988. Hot performance! The complete audio of the last Madison Square Garden show from the reunion tour in 2000 ain't too shabby either....

Its too little too late. He should have been doing this 10 years ago and it would have been amazing. Now, there's just too much to draw attention away (music, movies, TV) and it seems like such a huge missed opportunity. Even the best releases I've only heard once or twice.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 20, 2018 04:34

Sighunt
Ooooh, I am DEFINITELY logging on tonight and getting both those! Thanks for the heads-up.

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: April 21, 2018 13:10

What are the chances of another E street world tour in 2019 ??

BITU will be 35 years old next year and what a tour that would be (although I did hear him so the album in full at a show in 2013!!)

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 22, 2018 00:33

RollingFreak
Sighunt

Its too little too late. He should have been doing this 10 years ago and it would have been amazing.

Maybe so, but many Bruce fans that I know are buying this shit up and are very appreciative. Several of the live shows that have been released in great quality thus far are considered essential listening if you are a serious Bruce collector: New Years Eve 1980, Passaic, New Jersey 78, the acoustic Christic Institute Shows from 1990, the last show from the New Jersey Born in the USA run from 8/84 in which Little Steven guested, the newly released Danny Federici’s final show as a full-time member of the E Street Band from 2007, etc. I am a little surprised at this point in time that a show from the Rising has not made an appearance...

Date: April 23, 2018 05:59

It is strange. I assume it just hasn't come around yet. I don't think they are intentionally holding one back. Lots of good shows have come out, absolutely. Its a great series and I'm happy it came eventually. I'm thrilled with about half of them (the other half I think is largely crap). But thats like 12 great shows I've never heard cause I'm not a bootleg guy so I'm very happy. I just think they don't get the attention they would have 10 years ago (not to mention we'd then already have these great Magic, WOAD and Wrecking Ball shows in great quality because Magic was really the tour they should have started releasing every show like he is now).

But again, just happy it ever came at all. Solid releases.

Date: April 23, 2018 06:17

RollingFreak
It is strange. I assume it just hasn't come around yet. I don't think they are intentionally holding one back. Lots of good shows have come out, absolutely. Its a great series and I'm happy it came eventually. I'm thrilled with about half of them (the other half I think is largely crap). But thats like 12 great shows I've never heard cause I'm not a bootleg guy so I'm very happy. I just think they don't get the attention they would have 10 years ago (not to mention we'd then already have these great Magic, WOAD and Wrecking Ball shows in great quality because Magic was really the tour they should have started releasing every show like he is now).

Which shows do you think are crap? That's a strong statement.

I just downloaded LA 1988 and MSG 2000...haven't fully listened to them yet but LA is terrific so far.

Date: April 23, 2018 06:24

keefriff99
RollingFreak

I just downloaded LA 1988 and MSG 2000...haven't fully listened to them yet but LA is terrific so far.

I think Apollo is worthless. Agora 78 is fine but we have better 78s released on here and in radio form that I find it unnecessary. Rome 2013 is just bad. Terrible sound and nothing great about the performance, which is true of most of the latter era ones. There are good ones to pick and I feel they've released may unremarkable ones, minus St. Louis 08. Buffalo 09 is fine but not the myth people wanted it to be, Helsinki 2012 is fine but only released cause its the longest show. There's hardly anything else special about it though. Philly 09 is only good for the encore. Houston 78 is same as Agora. MSG 2000, while nice, we pretty much already had all of so for their only Reunion era release in nearly 30 releases, that was a lazy move IMO. Most of the rest have been good. New Orleans wasn't my bag even though I loved that Seeger tour, but Live In Dublin is really all we need from it and is way better.

Again, its nit picking the series. There are at least 10 I think are outstanding and so worth it. But largely I feel the series has been one fantastic release, one fine/unnecessary one, and so on and so on. I guess I meant unnecessary more than crap. None of them are bad, there are just a lot of missed opportunities and far too many "current shows" (and not the right ones).

Date: April 23, 2018 06:35

RollingFreak
keefriff99
RollingFreak

I think Apollo is worthless. Agora 78 is fine but we have better 78s released on here and in radio form that I find it unnecessary. Rome 2013 is just bad. Terrible sound and nothing great about the performance, which is true of most of the latter era ones. There are good ones to pick and I feel they've released may unremarkable ones, minus St. Louis 08. Buffalo 09 is fine but not the myth people wanted it to be, Helsinki 2012 is fine but only released cause its the longest show. There's hardly anything else special about it though. Philly 09 is only good for the encore. Houston 78 is same as Agora. MSG 2000, while nice, we pretty much already had all of so for their only Reunion era release in nearly 30 releases, that was a lazy move IMO. Most of the rest have been good. New Orleans wasn't my bag even though I loved that Seeger tour, but Live In Dublin is really all we need from it and is way better.

Again, its nit picking the series. There are at least 10 I think are outstanding and so worth it. But largely I feel the series has been one fantastic release, one fine/unnecessary one, and so on and so on. I guess I meant unnecessary more than crap. None of them are bad, there are just a lot of missed opportunities and far too many "current shows" (and not the right ones).
Yeah, I get that. I'm a Bruce fan but far from a completest or an archivist, so I can't speak on individual shows that much.

I have the Winterland '78 radio bootleg which is shockingly good. Surprised that hasn't been released.

I listened to Prove it All Night from the MSG 2000 boot and it's the same version as on Live in NYC. I hope the cuts off that bootleg aren't already on the official Live in NYC release, as that would be disappointing.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 23, 2018 06:52

in the 'and more' category.
I've been revisiting "Out In The Streets" and "Cadillac Ranch"
from the 1980 Tour; I can't recall the city but will be back w that.
I think it's so prime. So prime; everything that was great about him imo,
is there pretty much.
Tho I saw him in '84 when Van Zandt had left for his solo career; it was the
Born in the U.S.A. concert; and parts of it were so great it was really stunning.
imo from Born to Run thru Born in the U.S.A. is for me, most of the Springsteen story. The River and that Greatest Hits live thing around mid 80's did him very proud.
He'll always be a great showman; but this is the material and era
I go to personally, for excitement and inspiration.
Just great song after great song for quite awhile.
i really liked it when he dumped E Street for those two albums;
the second of which, he toured off of, with some really cool players,
and I dug the sparseness of his guitar work featured, without everything
that is usually great about his big revue; it was refreshing for me...
i guess he had that quickie marriage and divorce inj the process of making
one solo album; he squeezed out quickly and mostly live, perhaps a little like B&L only w a spate of fresh originals.....i liked that LUCKY TOwN lp a lot and think it's under-rated and one of his strongest and most important. I also like some songs on Human Touch;
tho I do love the E Street band too; cause look at '80; and that raw intense
magic was fresh....
.....i hate to say that lately in the new age electronic political sturm and drang of social media and whatever there is of devolving modern press, in some ways, he seems less the Woody Guthrie hero of his aspirations and more whoever reads whatever is on the monitor at the infotainment 'news' station.
i appreciate his gifts; and have really loved him a long time but I'm really increasingly distant from giving him personal interest or credibility as a ka-zillionaire rubbing elbows w folks that Mr. Richards would skilfully politely contact if necessary and thoroughly avoid beyond common courtesy; a little crack, and moving on, when in the company of folks he knows are less than impeccable represenations of whatever policy at whatever time....

I thought Nebraska was an awesome accomplishment in most every way.
That's a giant making a record like that w four track cassette recorder;
however they might have post=produced the mastering....
....yeh Bruce; too much talent and he 'proved it' too many nights and
recording sessions to take away that great contribution;
sometimes it felt he tried on a 'character' almost; and changed
his accent around the 'seeger sessions'
instead of being celebratory and revelatory; well at least for me,
it was a disappointment and not a great representation of the
sly poetics that informed American heros like Seeger and Woody;
more a casual fun display and hey, I've no particular expecations;
I guess it's ungracious to point out some stretches or misses, because
he's been so great; it gets a bit hokey; i guess it's great people
are still rocking; there's a certain lack of roll in his rock;
but when he was really on it in them early days it was just deleriously great and i'm so glad it's filmed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 07:18 by hopkins.

OT: Bruce Springsteen
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 30, 2018 22:37

Bruce interview with Michael Hainey of Esquire:

Beneath the Surface of Bruce Springsteen

For more than fifty years, he’s traveled deep into the heart of America. But with his new Netflix special—a film of his intense, powerful one-man show on Broadway—Bruce Springsteen reveals that his bravest journey has been wrestling with his own mental health.

Alexi Lubomirski

[www.esquire.com]

Date: November 30, 2018 22:50

Wonderful interview. Very moving.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 1, 2018 07:30

I have audio boots from the 2005/2008,2012. The 2012 is awesome crystal clear, good enough for a FM bd. Very very good. Think one show is without ES band. All shows from Vancouver, Canada. Great shows.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 07:57 by babyblue.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 1, 2018 07:49

Great Interview - ESB hasn't toured in awhile - I would speculate late next year or 2020.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 09:01

babyblue
I have audio boots from the 2005/2008,2012. The 2012 is awesome crystal clear, good enough for a FM bd. Very very good. Think one show is without ES band. All shows from Vancouver, Canada. Great shows.

Hey Babyblue, did you record these yourself or did you see these? I've seen Sprinsteen in all his Vancouver shows since 84. That was a great show and Born In The USA was such a huge album. He didn't play here in 88 on his Tunnel of Love tour, closest being Tacomadome. He played at the Coliseum in 92 or 93, that wasn't with the E Street Band, which I believe would be the first boot you mentioned. He didn't play Vancouver in 2005. 2008 was a good show but I found him to be a bit too "preachy" almost like a reverend. 2012 was awesome, the night after I saw McCartney across the street at BC Place. Rumours were that Bruce was going to join him on stage but didn't happen.

Date: December 1, 2018 18:33

Chris Fountain
Great Interview - ESB hasn't toured in awhile - I would speculate late next year or 2020.
I hope so. This run on Broadway must have been fairly exhausting for Bruce though.

Date: December 1, 2018 18:43

keefriff99
Chris Fountain
I hope so. This run on Broadway must have been fairly exhausting for Bruce though.

Many people think that but he seems to have said he has no plans of stopping. A good deal of fans are actually like "dude, take a break, relax" and he's actively seemed like he doesn't want to. Guess getting old does that to you.

Date: December 1, 2018 19:14

RollingFreak
keefriff99
Chris Fountain

Many people think that but he seems to have said he has no plans of stopping. A good deal of fans are actually like "dude, take a break, relax" and he's actively seemed like he doesn't want to. Guess getting old does that to you.

He is extremely restless. He has to keep him busy, otherwise he struggles with his psychological daemons, or how to say it. He writes about it in his bio a lot. I guess his extensive touring and the Broadway residency is mostly due to that. Also as any of his tours came close to an end, the concerts got even longer than usual, as if he just didn't want it to stop.

Anyway, he is absolutely amazing and I am looking forward to seeing him whenever he decides it suits him to get on the road again.

Date: December 1, 2018 19:27

Oh I'm aware. And not that I think its exaggerated by him or the media about all of his "demons" but there is this scary aspect of him that he almost never wants to stop doing stuff. If he's not on the road, he's guesting with other musicians, or working on an album. Its an incredible work ethic, although I'd question in the last 10 years if his output has benefited from it.

He had an incredible late era run for 10 years from 99-2009 that was simply fantastic. Tracks comes out, he gets the band back together and tours behind it, takes a break for a year, comes back out swinging with a phenomenal new E Street Band record, tours that. Takes another year break, comes back out with solo D&D and does a brilliant solo tour with that. Then goes right into the Seeger Sessions, which I loved, and tours that, really breaking new ground for himself. Then goes back to E Street, does IMO one of his all time best records with Magic, does a tour that I think ranks with his best and truly began this whole "he could play anything!" mystique, doing things he truly hadn't done in 30 years. Then finishes with a nice victory lap in 09 of that past tour, playing the Super Bowl, and having some extremely memorable shows towards the end of 09.

I don't think it'll ever be like that again and hey, that was enough to satisfy for the rest of his life, especially so far into his career being that prolific. But its made the last 10 years quite sad. Wrecking Ball was a far cry from the classic album he'd hoped. The tour was fine but the loss of Clarence was felt. He then tacked out High Hopes which are outtakes that were better off being kept that way. Then toured a 35 year old record which was as nostalgic as he ever got. I'd love to see him actually retreat again like he used to and come back swinging. Clearly going nonstop doesn't have the same results it did from 99-09, so selfishly I'd like to see him go away and come back with something truly great as opposed to continuing with middling tours and products. I get that he's older so any time wasted is now lost and that the tours end up still being top grossing every time and that the Broadway show was a critical and commercial success. But I loved the Bruce that still felt fresh and breaking new ground, which I fear may be lost.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 102

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home