Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 102
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen 2016 - The River Tour and more
Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 10, 2016 20:29

loose bedspring!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 13, 2016 16:05

And, NOW, FOR AUSTRALIA again. 3 tours in 4 years, who would have thunk it?

Rod

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 13, 2016 18:06

Bruce will be doing some promotional appearances for his new 'Born to Run' book starting later this month. I'm SO excited - I got a ticket to the Oct. 10 event in Cambridge MA. I get a signed copy of the book and get to take a pic with The Boss. Woo hoo!
I'm going to his final US show (this year) tomorrow (Sept. 14) in Foxboro, MA. Will report back.

Date: September 15, 2016 19:26

I saw 'The Boss' in Foxboro MA last night. Pretty Epic, I have to say. A 4 hour show once again, as he has done over the past several shows, as he wrapped up this US tour. Say what you will about Bruce, what Stones fan wouldn't love to see them do 30+ songs, including sign requests and including rarities, covers and whatever (last night the old classic 'Boom Boom' was pulled out of their hat, and had the place rocking)? The guy is amazing, no doubt.
[backstreets.com] has all the details (sort of like this site for Bruce fans) AND, his official site makes shows available for purchase (as either Flac, MP3 or CD - nice!). 'Are you gonna Bruuuce me now?' he said at one point. LOL. Yep - we did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-15 19:38 by DEmerson.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 15, 2016 19:33

Amazing setlist. I truly wonder how much longer he and the E-Street Band can keep this up.

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: September 15, 2016 23:44

144 different songs done over 75 nights. only 2 songs were done every night.
[brucebase.wikispaces.com]

his record was on the 2014 High Hopes tour: only 34 shows, over 180 different songs!

Bruce on CBS Sunday Morning (Now!)
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 18, 2016 16:02

Enjoy -- will Last feature of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-18 16:29 by Chris Fountain.

Re: Bruce on CBS Sunday Morning (Now!)
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 18, 2016 17:13

Nice of you to let everyone know Chris, but you best add an OT to the subject line...unless Bruce is talking about the Stones.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 19, 2016 18:19

Bruce sucks

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 19, 2016 19:27

I grew up a big Red Sox fan in northern New England, where it's pretty much required to hate the New York Yankees. A favorite phrase of Red Sox fans is, "Yankees Suck." Except really, most years, they don't suck at all. They are the team with the biggest payroll and they recruit and invest in the best players in the world. I'll be the first to admit it, the Yankees really don't suck. Or, to be more accurate, the Yankees RARELY suck.

But Bruce Springsteen NEVER sucks. I mean, maybe you are not a fan, but... Bruce just DOES NOT suck. Not any of his 4 hour and 3 minute show sucked last Wednesday night (I was not there, sadly) could have possibly sucked. He played heaps of back-catalogue songs, took requests from the crowd, and worked like a horse, as did the entire band. No, Bruce doesn't suck.

Perhaps I am not making myself clear enough... Maybe you don't like Bruce Springsteen (I suppose that's ok?). Maybe you really haven't heard Bruce Springsteen's material somehow but...

Bruce doesn't suck. :^)

Date: September 19, 2016 22:30

Right on Tate. Bruce does NOT suck. Bruce is in fact quite awesome.
The Yankees however do suck. ;-)

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 20, 2016 03:29

As a baby boomer musician who has zero interest in Springsteen, I have to say that anyone who sits behind their keyboard and pronounces their verdict on what I should perceive as "good" and "sucks' actually sucks as a poster. You are entitled to enjoy or not enjoy Bruce, but you are, far and away, not the World's Foremost Authority.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 1, 2016 11:22

Very nice short chapter on the Stones (and his performance of Tumbling Dice with them) in Springsteen's autobiography Born to Run which just came out. And is really excellent, IMO.

Date: October 1, 2016 12:27

dcba
wonderboy
[
Bruce's act is a shtick, the working class/folkie hero routine. I'm sure he believes in it, his audience does, too, but it's sentimental claptrap. He became big just at the time the industrial base in this country began to erode and working class people began to go to college and move into white collar jobs.

Yeah like it or not Bruce's status as a cultural figure (just not a rock figure) started to grow exactly when Reagan was shipping American jobs to China and Mexico.

Said differently Bruce glorified the American worker just when he was slowly being put to death by globalization and Reaganomics.

Loot at the extremely interesting "Glory Days" video : it's a joyful celebration of the average "Joe USA" who was right at that time (the mid-80's) starting to be exterminated.

Dylan who's far more intelligent than Brooce did feel the danger. As soon as 1983 he wrote "Union Sundown" which described the war on American workers.
[www.google.fr]

Bob's smart, Brooce is a naive genial idiot.

just because the video portrays some celebration of average joe usa doesn't mean that's what the song is about.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 7, 2017 20:33

Max Weinberg Rolling Stone interview with a nod to Charlie:

Charlie Watts has a soft touch like a jazz drummer. You bring a lot of power and that's obviously more difficult.

Well they're a blues band. Charlie's influences were not rock drummers. They were jazz drummers. I was influenced by jazz drummers, but I'm a rock-era drummer. Our approach has always been very intense, going back 45 years. What you do is you let the drums, and of course today's sophisticated sound systems, monitor systems work for you. That really helps a lot too.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 7, 2017 20:56

Don't do it , don't ya fall down and break your body cause you will get left behind by those closest to ya

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 8, 2017 14:15

Bruce sucks? Please he has been in the business for 45 years and puts on one of the best shows out there. I can't stand his political rants and want him to just sing, but the guy is a tremendous performer, who unlike our favorite band will play his entire catalog of songs on stage and his fans love him for it. Just say I don't like him or its not my cup of tea but the guy does not suck.

Date: March 8, 2017 16:40

Cristiano Radtke
Max Weinberg Rolling Stone interview with a nod to Charlie:

Charlie Watts has a soft touch like a jazz drummer. You bring a lot of power and that's obviously more difficult.

Well they're a blues band. Charlie's influences were not rock drummers. They were jazz drummers. I was influenced by jazz drummers, but I'm a rock-era drummer. Our approach has always been very intense, going back 45 years. What you do is you let the drums, and of course today's sophisticated sound systems, monitor systems work for you. That really helps a lot too.

[www.rollingstone.com]
That was a great interview.

I saw the second of the three Giants Stadium gigs in August...it was sweltering hot and Max sat at the drums for four hours straight in a long-sleeved dress shirt, vest and tie. Didn't even roll up his sleeves or loosen his tie once. I was absolutely shocked by his stamina and discipline. He is a total badass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 16:41 by keefriff99.

Date: March 8, 2017 16:44

slew
Bruce sucks? Please he has been in the business for 45 years and puts on one of the best shows out there. I can't stand his political rants and want him to just sing, but the guy is a tremendous performer, who unlike our favorite band will play his entire catalog of songs on stage and his fans love him for it. Just say I don't like him or its not my cup of tea but the guy does not suck.
When has he ever ranted? Yes, he has very strong political opinions but he doesn't rant.

Style and decorum matter. That's why I'll take having a Bruce on my side politically over a Ted Nugent any day...and yes, there are certainly liberal entertainers who act like jerks, but Bruce isn't one of them.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 8, 2017 17:23

keefriff99
I saw the second of the three Giants Stadium gigs in August...it was sweltering hot and Max sat at the drums for four hours straight in a long-sleeved dress shirt, vest and tie. Didn't even roll up his sleeves or loosen his tie once. I was absolutely shocked by his stamina and discipline. He is a total badass.

I was at that show as well and EVERY Bruce show I go to I think "jesus, how does Max keep it up?!" And he seemingly gets better each time. Its incredible. That show last summer was outstanding.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 8, 2017 20:02

I saw the Boston show in February '16, and then got a copy of the Foxboro, MA show from late summer. I think it was the last show of the summer. I chose not to go, because, you know, it's a big stadium show, I figured the set would be hit-heavy, more geared toward the casual fans, and I was tired that week, it was on a Thursday...... but listening to that show (a friend was there), it is AMAZING! Daring too. To think, playing obscure, 40+ year old quiet accordion and acoustic numbers in a packed stadium, and going over 4 hours, at their age, bloody hell. I gotta say, I love a band that takes risks on stage. And this show was LOADED with major risks. And they all came off fabulously. Gotta hand it to Bruce. No giant blow-up dolls. No crazy light show. Just a great rock and roll show, for four bloody hours. There is NOBODY like The Boss and his band! :^)))

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 8, 2017 21:44

E-Street Band is different from The Stones. First, how many big hits did Springsteen have, four or five? So he can play what he wants to. The Stones had so many big hits, they can´t play all of them in a 2-hours-show. However,the hits are what people expect from a Stones show.

Bruce can play 3-hours-shows because he doesn´t move much onstage. Mick is always bouncing around, no one can do that for 3 hours... The E-Street drummer isn´t 75 of age... The E-street-band guys are great musicians who can play 100 songs from memory, the Stones who are average musicians are limited to 25 songs and on a good night they deliver it without major accidents.

Furthermore, a very long show isn´t automatically better than a shorter set. I never went to a Springsteen-show because I´m bored with everything he did since the 90s. So at least half of the time I would be bored. Plus, I dont like his faked "I´m one of you"-attitude. A billionaire pretenting to be a "working class hero"... I don´t like the strange gospel/semi religious-approach... So many things I don´t like about Bruce... most of all that he hasn´t made good music for 30 years now...

I´d rather want to see the Stones playing the entire B&L-album (~50min) than Bruce doing a 3.5hours-marathon show.

Date: March 9, 2017 00:50

HMS
E-Street Band is different from The Stones. First, how many big hits did Springsteen have, four or five? So he can play what he wants to. The Stones had so many big hits, they can´t play all of them in a 2-hours-show. However,the hits are what people expect from a Stones show.

Bruce can play 3-hours-shows because he doesn´t move much onstage. Mick is always bouncing around, no one can do that for 3 hours... The E-Street drummer isn´t 75 of age... The E-street-band guys are great musicians who can play 100 songs from memory, the Stones who are average musicians are limited to 25 songs and on a good night they deliver it without major accidents.

Furthermore, a very long show isn´t automatically better than a shorter set. I never went to a Springsteen-show because I´m bored with everything he did since the 90s. So at least half of the time I would be bored. Plus, I dont like his faked "I´m one of you"-attitude. A billionaire pretenting to be a "working class hero"... I don´t like the strange gospel/semi religious-approach... So many things I don´t like about Bruce... most of all that he hasn´t made good music for 30 years now...

I´d rather want to see the Stones playing the entire B&L-album (~50min) than Bruce doing a 3.5hours-marathon show.
You make some good points aside from falsely claiming that Bruce is a billionaire (are you kidding me?),, that he doesn't move much onstage (he's not dancing around like Mick but he works the stage a lot), and that he only has 4 or 5 hits:

[www.billboard.com]

A lot of his most popular songs aren't traditional hits. If he plays Growing Up or Jungleland, 80,000 people are singing along to every word.

Date: March 9, 2017 04:53

keefriff99
HMS

You make some good points aside from falsely claiming that Bruce is a billionaire (are you kidding me?),, that he doesn't move much onstage (he's not dancing around like Mick but he works the stage a lot), and that he only has 4 or 5 hits:

[www.billboard.com]

A lot of his most popular songs aren't traditional hits. If he plays Growing Up or Jungleland, 80,000 people are singing along to every word.

I can agree. I saw him on the River 40th Anniversary Tour, and when he called out the line of attendees holding 'JUNGLELAND' in large cut-out letters, everyone laughed. Once that iconic piano intro began, it seemed like there was next to no one cheering/screaming in joy.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 9, 2017 16:40

slew

This thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: March 9, 2017 19:17

just 14 shows on the brief 2017 australia/nz tour, no less then 92 different songs played

box office result: [www.billboard.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 9, 2017 21:49

superglen
just 14 shows on the brief 2017 australia/nz tour, no less then 92 different songs played

If memory serves, the Stones did a total of ~70 songs during the tour of 2014... not much different at all...

Date: March 10, 2017 03:23

[youtu.be]

While not "The River" tour, check this. very hot!

Date: March 10, 2017 07:57

Palace Revolution 2000
[youtu.be]

I *LOVE* his version of Stayin' Alive...sexier than hell!

How about this unexpected gem?

[www.youtube.com]

Morello is one hell of an underrated guitarist. The guy can play anything.

Date: March 10, 2017 10:41

keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
[youtu.be]

I *LOVE* his version of Stayin' Alive...sexier than hell!

How about this unexpected gem?

[www.youtube.com]

Morello is one hell of an underrated guitarist. The guy can play anything.

Haha..keefriff, who knew? Amazing. Yes, Morello is tops. That is a timeless song.
PS it looks like a miserable day though; cold and rainy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 102

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home