Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 102
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen - 2016 - The River Tour
Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: April 26, 2016 17:51

Although he won´t play a full River album in Europe (which is for me a pitty because it´s my all time favorite album) i expect a great 3 hours show with hopefully a lot of surpises in the setlist!

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: April 27, 2016 22:23

Besides The River Tour being so arguably great (Springsteen's not for everyone, and neither is The River - I love both, and the show I saw was fantastic!), the "singularity" of this tour is just catching up with me.

As an album, The River is great. But it doesn't hold the mythical and totemic status, among Bruce fans or rock fans, that other major albums, especially double ones, hold among fans. Think of Exile, Tommy, Quadrophenia, Physical Graffiti.

And it's not a "story to be performed onstage" like Tommy or Quadrophenia.

And as a double album, a full performance is going to be about 90 minutes. That's about as long as a "typical" concert might be (though Bruce and other big acts frequently go longer). You're asking for a lot of commitment from band members and fans.

So layer all that up - a full performance, in sequence, of every song on a DOUBLE album. That, while great, might not even be his very best album, or among the best rock albums ever released. And, not being a story, would of course have some "filler" material that could arguably be dropped, but you play it anyway for the sake of completion.

That's compelling enough. But to play it so well, so energetically - and THEN after all that, play TWO MORE HOURS of material, no loss in energy, sound, or excitement.

Yes, I think it can be said that every fan who saw a show on The River tour can say not just that they saw a fantastic show, but that they saw something that has never before been seen from a major performer on such an extended tour.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 30, 2016 12:39

I finally got a chance to sit down & listen to the Seattle River show properly. It certainly reaffirms my belief that it was a very good night for the Boss. Bruce, E Street & the crowd were firing on all cylinders & feeding off each other. It was a magical night for me that I really didn't think I was going to get off Bruce anymore. It was like going back to the 1980 River tour. Very cool that Bruce is making all the shows available. The sound is stellar both on the rockier stuff & the quiet stuff. Its clear that Bruce & band were enjoying this show. Very loose while not losing integrity. The Eddie Vedder cameo is pretty good. We get a lot of that in Seattle. For awhile it seemed he was either at the show or coming out & playing every show my friend & I went to. To the point where we started playing "where's Eddie", haha. A few examples, Neil Finn for several songs & Guided by Voices. Sometimes its good, sometimes not so much. Broke the streak at McCartney but we got Krist Novoselic at that one. Back to Bruce, I would recommend this one if you are looking to get 1 show with the entire River. From what I've read from the Bruce heads the consensus is this one & night 3 LA were 2 of the best shows. I go back to the Darkness tour with Bruce but kind of lost some interest when he got hugely popular. Started to become too ritualized & too many obnoxious fans. This show reaffirmed my feeling back in high school. I'm glad I went & if that's it for me going to Bruce shows, I'm good with it. A very high note. I'm kind of that way with the last Stones show I saw with Mick Taylor. If they come to town, I'll go but the expectations are lower. I'm sorry our European friends won't get the whole River. It was special. I hope you at least get plenty of songs from the album still.smoking smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 30, 2016 15:17

crholmstrom
I finally got a chance to sit down & listen to the Seattle River show properly. It certainly reaffirms my belief that it was a very good night for the Boss. Bruce, E Street & the crowd were firing on all cylinders & feeding off each other. It was a magical night for me that I really didn't think I was going to get off Bruce anymore. It was like going back to the 1980 River tour. Very cool that Bruce is making all the shows available. The sound is stellar both on the rockier stuff & the quiet stuff. Its clear that Bruce & band were enjoying this show. Very loose while not losing integrity. The Eddie Vedder cameo is pretty good. We get a lot of that in Seattle. For awhile it seemed he was either at the show or coming out & playing every show my friend & I went to. To the point where we started playing "where's Eddie", haha. A few examples, Neil Finn for several songs & Guided by Voices. Sometimes its good, sometimes not so much. Broke the streak at McCartney but we got Krist Novoselic at that one. Back to Bruce, I would recommend this one if you are looking to get 1 show with the entire River. From what I've read from the Bruce heads the consensus is this one & night 3 LA were 2 of the best shows. I go back to the Darkness tour with Bruce but kind of lost some interest when he got hugely popular. Started to become too ritualized & too many obnoxious fans. This show reaffirmed my feeling back in high school. I'm glad I went & if that's it for me going to Bruce shows, I'm good with it. A very high note. I'm kind of that way with the last Stones show I saw with Mick Taylor. If they come to town, I'll go but the expectations are lower. I'm sorry our European friends won't get the whole River. It was special. I hope you at least get plenty of songs from the album still.smoking smiley

As a whole, Bruce and company have exceeded fan expectations on the US leg of the River tour. From fans who had gone to multiple shows on this tour, playing and performance was pretty consistent from night to night-although the shows you mention-Seattle from 3/24 & the two LA shows from 3/17 & 3/19 (which I have yet to acquire) were considered exceptional by many of went. Of the shows that I have acquired thus far, my personal favorite (great show, great sound mix) is Philly from 2/12 featuring the tour premiere of Jungleland. The homestretch run of great tunes that are played after the River (Atlantic City, Prove It All Night, My Love Will Not Let You Down) just builds on itself and cements a great show. Worth getting.

Date: April 30, 2016 15:24

Thanks! I will check it out.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: May 1, 2016 18:58

I saw Bruce in Brooklyn last Saturday night. He opened with Purple Rain. The show was tremendous. I wish our boys were as consistent as Bruce. All due respect to The Stones my favorite band. Bruce was off the hook.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 2, 2016 17:45

According to Steve van Zandt there are lots of Honky Tonk Women living in Darlington County! cool smiley
Check sample from Denver's performance:

[www.wetransfer.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 15, 2016 14:51

Well looks like they're off to a good start in Europe-

Over 3.5 hours:

Barcelona May 14: Source: Backstreets.com

Setlist:
Badlands
No Surrender
My Love Will Not Let You Down
The Ties That Bind
Sherry Darling
Jackson Cage
Two Hearts
I'm Goin' Down
Hungry Heart
Out in the Street
I Wanna Marry You
The River
Point Blank
Atlantic City
Darlington County
Glory Days
I Wanna Be With You
Ramrod
The Price You Pay
Drive All Night
Lonesome Day
Prove It All Night
The Promised Land
Because the Night
She's the One
Brilliant Disguise
The Rising
Thunder Road
Purple Rain
Born in the U.S.A.
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Shout
Bobby Jean
Twist and Shout

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 15, 2016 16:55

The Backstreets message board makes this place looks like tea with the Queen, they bitch and moan so much about the setlist it's insane. A bunch a spoiled babies over there!

Date: May 15, 2016 17:13

mnewman505
The Backstreets message board makes this place looks like tea with the Queen, they bitch and moan so much about the setlist it's insane. A bunch a spoiled babies over there!

True - but it would be sweet to see Rendezvous return to the mix-

Date: May 15, 2016 20:53

No "Drive All Night". That was a highlight for me in March. Transcendent.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 15, 2016 21:10

crholmstrom

He did play Drive All Night.

Date: May 21, 2016 15:33

Lissabon on YouTube:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: May 26, 2016 19:46

What is the best performance to download from the river tour?

Any suggestions?

Posted by: balders ()
Date: May 26, 2016 22:17

Manchester last night he played santa claus is coming to town. He spotted a fan dresssed as santa in the crowd, got him up on stage and played the whole song.
A great mix of tracks from born to run, darkness, born in the usa and of course the river. The rain never stopped but nor did the dancing. Go see him if you get the chance.

Date: May 27, 2016 10:25

Koschi

Any suggestions?[/quote

I have a bias because its the show I saw but the Seattle show is first rate.

Date: May 27, 2016 10:26

RollingFreak
crholmstrom

He did play Drive All Night.

Sorry, early morning blurry eyes when I read the setlist. They are so long!winking smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: May 27, 2016 23:51

balders
Manchester last night he played santa claus is coming to town. He spotted a fan dresssed as santa in the crowd, got him up on stage and played the whole song.
A great mix of tracks from born to run, darkness, born in the usa and of course the river. The rain never stopped but nor did the dancing. Go see him if you get the chance.

I heard about this.

Can you imagine the conversation 'Santa' had with himself the following morning, assuming alcohol had been consumed?:

'Was I onstage with Bruce Springsteen last night singing 'Santa Claus Is Coming To Town', in May, no less?'

...'No, I must have imagined that; a drink-fuelled mirage.'

Olly.

Date: May 28, 2016 15:40

Koschi

Any suggestions?

I have always been a sucker for first albums by rock bands, and for early gigs of a long tour too; there's is, at least sometimes, an energy there that somehow vanishes as the tour goes along. Less mistakes by then, but I don't mind a few wrong notes.

So my personal favourites are:

Chicago

Boston ( maybe the best? )

Philadelphia

Buffalo

Rochester

St.Paul

The Denver show is very good once the are through with "The River"
set two so to speak is amazing!

A word about the first concert in Pittsburgh, the recording got lots of bad reviews especially for the vocals; first version was withdrawn and Jon Altschiller was brought in as a remix engineer and a second version was uploaded:

I like the show very much, and I think that Bruce's voice this evening was pretty much shot for whatever reasons. No doubt the second mix is better on the vocals, but I maintain that the first mix wasn't that bad, and that I prefer the guitars on that first mix by a mile!

Date: May 28, 2016 18:12

It seems like Pittsburgh give the most heart- warmed welcomed enthusiastic reception. My opinion is based on You Tube , which could be skewed.

Date: May 28, 2016 20:45

Koschi

Any suggestions?

Philly & Rochester. Both great shows.

Date: May 28, 2016 21:08

...and just one time let's hear it for the secret star of the show:

Max Weinberg!

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: May 29, 2016 13:22

I see Bruce has dropped the whole of The River for Europe. Nice one Bruce, £137.00 a ticket for something I am not going to see. You have ripped me off!
Still being marketed as "The River 2016 Tour". No it isn't. See You Next Tuesday!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 1, 2016 23:00

Hello,

Sorry that this sorry bunch from Manchester are about a week late...

You knew that you couldn't escape without a little pontification from me, hah-hah! Ok then...just a few points:

- This was my 25th Broooooce show I think, but I went into it a tad hacked-off at 'him' (or those who represent him, at the very least) for this platinum seat bs for 3 upcoming US shows...I had always hoped that he (and people like Shakey and Pearl Jam for instance) would be above such insidious nonsense. How much money is enough, you know?

- That aside, it only took the band walking up the centre-rear stairs and onto the stage for me to be transported...and remained that way for the next 194 minutes! Just so you know, I'm still not happy about the seating nonsense though!

- He's still using the same stage that he's had since 1907.

- This is a stripped-down version of the band. Nine (9) people onstage...the same number as when I saw them in 1907/2007.

- He just knows what needs saying sometimes: his first words delivered with a smile and a chuckle were, "Good evening Manchester...raining again, huh? I wouldn't have it any other way! 1-2-3-4!"

- There were 32 songs played, I think...definitely shorter versions thanks to less noodling which is a positive.

1. Atlantic City
2. Murder Incorporated
3. Badlands
4. The Ties That Bind
5. Sherry Darlin
6. Two Hearts
7. No Surrender
8. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
9. Hungry Heart
10. Out In The Street
11. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
12. Crush On You
13. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
14. I Wanna Marry You
15. The River
16. Point Blank
17. Johnny 99
18. Darlington County
19. Working On The Highway
20. The Promised Land
21. Waiting On A Sunny Day
22. Because The Night
23. The Rising
24. Thunder Road
25. Backstreets
26. Born To Run
27. Glory Days
28. Dancing In The Dark
29. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
30. Shout
31. Bobby Jean
32. This Hard Land

- Was it the greatest/best/finest show that I have ever seen? Nah. Was it a privilege to be there and a joy to behold, rain or shine? You better believe it...if I can catch any more shows then I'll do just that...who knows how much longer these guys will be around?

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: June 2, 2016 05:18

Attention all you Bruce nuts out there! I went to the Bruce website at[brucespringsteen.net] and they are releasing what I consider to be one of Bruce's later day holy grail of shows: The 1990 solo acoustic Christic Institute performances. It was rumored at the time that was going to be officially released but never was. Highly recommended if you are a Bruce fan.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 2, 2016 13:41

SimonN , great photos , what did you take them with your phone ? they are simply amazing !!!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 2, 2016 14:44

Listening to the new Christic Institute archive release this morning, fantastic sound!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 5, 2016 22:47

I am right now at the Springsteen show in London first time I've ever seen him live and he's absolutely fantastic.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 5, 2016 23:36

Hi TheGreek,

Thanks for that: I've taken more than a few shots of this band over time and am struggling to post anything vaguely new/original, hah-hah!
I blame/praise my Panasonic DMC FZ-200 as appropriate...

Cheers,

Simon.

ps great to hear that Broooooce is delivering the goods for you, Nate...I understand there are quite a few complaints about the sound at Wembley tonight.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 6, 2016 00:01

I was on the pitch and the sound was great

Nate thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 102

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home