Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 101
Re: Ok, it's about Bruce, but don't we feel the same about The Stones?
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 11, 2016 18:35

Recently Bruce played in Toronto and he saw a woman in the crowd, an 89 year old grandmother, and he had her come up on stage and they slow danced together. That's something you'll never see The Stones do.

Also, Bruce is known for taking requests. Have the Stones ever taken a request from the audience before?

Date: February 11, 2016 18:37

Boognish
Recently Bruce played in Toronto and he saw a woman in the crowd, an 89 year old grandmother, and he had her come up on stage and they slow danced together. That's something you'll never see The Stones do.

Also, Bruce is known for taking requests. Have the Stones ever taken a request from the audience before?

They do it every night. Angie won the vote yesterday smiling smiley

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 11, 2016 18:39

I think some people took me saying "I don't get it" as the same as "He's not talented"...he obviously is for so many to like it..just not for me..

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 18:51

nightskyman
DandelionPowderman
Bruce is excellent, but his band is a bit anonymous. The Stones has a ridiculously distinct sound where we hear what everybody plays - all the time.

The E-street band may change the setlist all the time, but we rarely hear the nuances in what they're playing. It's a solid beat, keyboards and guitars way down in the mix.

I like both bands, but for different reasons. They can't really be compared, though. They're too different.

Well don't forget, this is not the same 'back-up' band as Bruce had during the 1970s-1980s...that 'E-Street' group had soloist musicians and a lot of personality. And it was an enjoyable three hour performance back then.
It IS largely the same band.

The vast majority of the E Street band is intact: Little Steven, Roy Bittan, Max Weinberg, Garry Tallent and Nils Lofgren have all been in the band since the '70s/early '80s, and you can bet that Clarence and Danny would still be there had they not passed away.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 11, 2016 19:13

Boognish

?

Thank God..Advantage Stones....Can't stand fluff like that,,

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 20:32

Boognish

Was that during the "Dancing In The Dark"? If so that seems to be a rehearsed part of the show - ie during the song he'll get someone up to dance. Plus, in order to have played a fan request the band will have to have learned it (ie it would have to be in their current repertoire) otherwise it would sound like a train wreck.

I don't mean to be critical of Bruce - it's just a lot of these 'impromptu' moments aren't so impromptu. One thing I actually took from the show I saw was just how rehearsed it was.

The difference is the amount of rehearsal Bruce does I guess as to do different sets each night you have to put extra work in. I mean in an interview Tom Morello did about his stint in the E Street Band he said he had to learn an insane amount of songs. I doubt the Stones rehearse 50 odd songs prior to a tour. I do think the fan vote thing is a great idea though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-11 20:34 by Seb91.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 11, 2016 21:25

Seb91
Was that during the "Dancing In The Dark"? If so that seems to be a rehearsed part of the show - ie during the song he'll get someone up to dance.
It was. I didn't realize it was a "thing" he does every show. That annoys me too, impromptu moments that are actually staged. Oh well.

Date: February 11, 2016 21:33

Seb91
Boognish

Was that during the "Dancing In The Dark"? If so that seems to be a rehearsed part of the show - ie during the song he'll get someone up to dance. Plus, in order to have played a fan request the band will have to have learned it (ie it would have to be in their current repertoire) otherwise it would sound like a train wreck.

I don't mean to be critical of Bruce - it's just a lot of these 'impromptu' moments aren't so impromptu. One thing I actually took from the show I saw was just how rehearsed it was.

The difference is the amount of rehearsal Bruce does I guess as to do different sets each night you have to put extra work in. I mean in an interview Tom Morello did about his stint in the E Street Band he said he had to learn an insane amount of songs. I doubt the Stones rehearse 50 odd songs prior to a tour. I do think the fan vote thing is a great idea though.
There are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake...it's unrealistic to expect them to wander onstage like they're a bar band and just rip through a set without each member knowing precisely what their roles are supposed to be.

I've seen just about ever marquee rock and metal band from the classic era, and they're all rehearsed to the gills. Any time you see something cool that appears to be spontaneous, it most likely was planned. The only things that are spontaneous are the fuckups, and those have the ability to be truly entertaining if the guys onstage can laugh them off.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 11, 2016 21:49

Boognish
Seb91
Was that during the "Dancing In The Dark"? If so that seems to be a rehearsed part of the show - ie during the song he'll get someone up to dance.
It was. I didn't realize it was a "thing" he does every show. That annoys me too, impromptu moments that are actually staged. Oh well.

Anyone who has seen Springsteen a few times knows he usually selects someone from the audience to come onstage and dance with him during Dancing In The Dark. So in that sense it's not an "impromptu moment." However, the person he picks is usually chosen on the spot, and absolutely thrilled to be up there. So it is spontaneous in that sense. Bruce also commonly chooses songs the audience shouts to him or that are written on signs, many of which are obscure or rarely played.

I've seen the Stones live many times and have never seen them deviate from the pre-planned setlist. Never. And they rarely do anything more spontaneous than a couple of funny comments from Mick or momentary onstage interactions between the band members. Both the Stones and Springsteen are great live acts, but Bruce wins hands-down for spontaneous song choices, stage banter and audience interaction.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-11 22:14 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 11, 2016 22:07

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-11 22:34 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 12, 2016 16:03

As a long time Stones fan who frequents this site, I first became introduced to the Stones in the early 70's, having bought Hot Rocks. Through that 2 album compilation, I couldn't believe how many great songs they had written besides their signature rock anthem "Satisfaction." I had heard several of the songs off of Hot Rocks on the radio and had not connected the dots that they were Stones tunes. I became an instant convert and then worked backwards and obsessively filled in the gaps with all their previous works: Beggars, Let It Bleed, Aftermath, Out of Their Heads, etc. In my estimation, the Stones were and are, the personification of the quintessential rock and roll band- Mick Jagger representing and defining the template of what a front man in a band is all about.

Regarding Springsteen and the E Street, he (they) are my second favorite performing rock act. Bruce and/or Little Steven have made no bones about it that growing up one of their primary influences were the Stones who many bands of the day aspired to be like. During the 1970's when Bruce was touring Darkness and he returned to the stage with something to prove, there appeared from my estimation, to be an "unstated" competition of sorts between the Stones and Springsteen-at least what I had been reading by various music journals such as Rolling Stone- who from what I remember in 1978 stated something to the effect that the Stones were filling venues, but Springsteen was getting the reviews. Rolling Stone magazine had insinuated at the time per folks in Stones camp, that the Stones may have been a little threatened by the Boss Man.

It is interesting to me, but when I read some of the threads posted regarding Springsteen on this forum, there will typically be a group of folks who put him down or disparage him in some ways-maybe because they themselves are threatened by him as if he and the E Street Band will de-throne our mighty Stones and replace them as the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band."

I have always felt that the Stones and Springsteen are an apples/oranges argument. They are both great for different reasons. The only thing that I can really say about Bruce that I am envious about (in comparing him to the Stones) is that he certainly takes more risks as an artist than the Stones do whether it be releasing albums with different musical textures and directions (you may not like the results- but he does push himself) or whether he offers up varied (and longer) set-lists night after night. In this respect, I find the Stones lacking-but that does not take away from the Stones overall importance and contribution to music- they have endured for 50 + years as a great touring band and one befitting the role as the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band" in the universe.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 12, 2016 16:13

keefriff99
nightskyman
DandelionPowderman
Bruce is excellent, but his band is a bit anonymous. The Stones has a ridiculously distinct sound where we hear what everybody plays - all the time.

The E-street band may change the setlist all the time, but we rarely hear the nuances in what they're playing. It's a solid beat, keyboards and guitars way down in the mix.

I like both bands, but for different reasons. They can't really be compared, though. They're too different.

Well don't forget, this is not the same 'back-up' band as Bruce had during the 1970s-1980s...that 'E-Street' group had soloist musicians and a lot of personality. And it was an enjoyable three hour performance back then.

The vast majority of the E Street band is intact: Little Steven, Roy Bittan, Max Weinberg, Garry Tallent and Nils Lofgren have all been in the band since the '70s/early '80s, and you can bet that Clarence and Danny would still be there had they not passed away.

Yes, exactly...they've gone down hill (unlike the Stones).

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 12, 2016 16:21

Sighunt

It is interesting to me, but when I read some of the threads posted regarding Springsteen on this forum, there will typically be a group of folks who put him down or disparage him in some ways-maybe because they themselves are threatened by him as if he and the E Street Band will de-throne our mighty Stones and replace them as the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band."

Except it'll never happen mainly because of ONE thing : the caliber of the musicians playing in these two bands. "Amazing" "unique" for the Stones, 'bar room band" level for the E-St. Band.

The Wyman/Watts has often been reported as the best rock rhythm section of the 70's and 80's. The same's never been said of the Tallent/Weinberg pair...

Date: February 12, 2016 16:25

<the caliber of the musicians playing in these two bands.>

It's more about the style and sound than the calibre or abilities, imo.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 12, 2016 16:25

Having seen the Stones 10 times and Bruce only once (just last week), I will say that I wish to hell I'd seen Bruce more times than that. I tried, though, but tickets are just way harder to get than Stones tickets. Anyway, I have loved every Stones show I have been to, and will hopefully get to see more, and more Bruce too. If they occurred on the same day, I'd go see Bruce, just to try to make up for my inability to see him on all those great tours prior to 2016.

Date: February 12, 2016 16:37

nightskyman
keefriff99
nightskyman
DandelionPowderman

Yes, exactly...they've gone down hill (unlike the Stones).
Why downhill? Because two members have died?

Bruce replaced both with top-notch musicians who can replicate their parts exactly.

Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen - 2016 - The River Tour
Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: February 14, 2016 15:54

The E Street Band has, in now way, gone downhill. To offer that assertion is ridiculous.

Date: February 14, 2016 17:10

JTHanis
The E Street Band has, in now way, gone downhill. To offer that assertion is ridiculous.
Exactly...ESPECIALLY when saying the Stones haven't gone downhill in comparison.

I love both bands, but anyone with even a modicum of objectivity has to admit that it's the Stones who have lost a few steps over the years.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 14, 2016 22:42

I just listened to the Chicago show real loud. For the most part its real good, with some stunning spots. Looks like its luck of the draw on the non-River stuff. Chicago didn't get anything from "Darkness" era. I'm praying for some of that in Seattle! The BTR stuff sounded real good. I could seriously live without "Human Touch" though.

Date: February 15, 2016 00:14

crholmstrom
I just listened to the Chicago show real loud. For the most part its real good, with some stunning spots. Looks like its luck of the draw on the non-River stuff. Chicago didn't get anything from "Darkness" era. I'm praying for some of that in Seattle! The BTR stuff sounded real good. I could seriously live without "Human Touch" though.

I actually enjoyed Human Touch the other night which shocked the crap out of me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-15 02:38 by JTHanis.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 15, 2016 01:06

DandelionPowderman
Boognish

Yes, from THEIR choice of FOUR of THEIR songs. Bruce picks from, at times, dozens if not more songs of his AND what would be COVERS. He and the ESB play anything, at the drop of a hat. The Stones even have had guest artists on their voted songs. The guests knew their parts so well it's like... they had rehearsed the surprise song of the night!!!

Rod

Date: February 15, 2016 02:43

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Boognish

Yes, from THEIR choice of FOUR of THEIR songs. Bruce picks from, at times, dozens if not more songs of his AND what would be COVERS. He and the ESB play anything, at the drop of a hat. The Stones even have had guest artists on their voted songs. The guests knew their parts so well it's like... they had rehearsed the surprise song of the night!!!

We all know the fan vote is the greatest fraud of all time.

The artists are completely different. Bruce challenges his audience and the band; the Stones don't and that's fine. Bruce calls audibles on stage. I witnessed the Stones do this once at MSG 1 in 1998 with Little Red Rooster in lieu of The Last Time but they were forced into that because of technical problems.

Date: February 15, 2016 03:41

JTHanis
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Boognish

We all know the fan vote is the greatest fraud of all time.

The artists are completely different. Bruce challenges his audience and the band; the Stones don't and that's fine. Bruce calls audibles on stage. I witnessed the Stones do this once at MSG 1 in 1998 with Little Red Rooster in lieu of The Last Time but they were forced into that because of technical problems.
I think that right there sums up why so many Stones fans here have so much antipathy for Springsteen, even though they'll never admit it. They wish the Stones had the same fearless thirst for artistic adventure that the E Street Band has even after 40 years. They'll instead whine about his earnestness or his politics or the fact that the band use too many keyboards or isn't guitar-oriented enough, but in the end, it comes down largely to envying what he delivers every night.

Unfortunately, the Stones can't do it. Keith and Ronnie don't have the discipline, the stamina or the chops at their ages to keep so many songs mentally on file.

They instead deliver audience-pleasing spectacle, and that's great, but in the end, their artistic stagnation is a bummer. The band got a new lease on life in 1989 but they've spent the last 27 years mostly catering to the masses and building up their bank accounts rather than building on their towering artistic legacy. I still get a big dopey smile on my face every time I watch new YouTube footage of them playing, but it feels like a missed opportunity at times.

I will say that the Licks tour in 2002-2003 was the single most exciting post '89 period because it was the one time they dug deep into their catalog and went onstage without a net.

Date: February 15, 2016 13:21

keefriff99
I will say that the Licks tour in 2002-2003 was the single most exciting post '89 period because it was the one time they dug deep into their catalog and went onstage without a net.

Absolutely. Look at those first four club shows! Sadly, they started dialing it back as the tour progressed.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: February 16, 2016 06:03

The live
releases after the shows are taking too long,

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 16, 2016 11:32

JTHanis
keefriff99

Absolutely. Look at those first four club shows! Sadly, they started dialing it back as the tour progressed.

I went to a lot of shows on the Licks & ABB tours. I would say overall, Licks was the last tour that I was really satisfied with. They brought it every show I saw. & I saw the club & arena versions (allergic to stadium shows). The one show on ABB that I really enjoyed was at home in Seattle. Ronnie was "incapacitated" & Keith did all the heavy lifting with help from Blondie Chaplin. I was getting the direct blast from Keith's amp when the little stage came out into the crowd (fabulous!). In the department of lost opportunities, I only saw Vegas on 50 & Counting. Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor was holy grail material. The rest of the show...ehhh. Perfect example, the guest spot. BB King was actually in town on break from tour & there was speculation that he might play with them. Instead, we got Katy Perry (who was actually ok but...). Now BB is gone. I'm sure that Mick carried the day on that one. As for Bruce, the pre Born in USA shows I saw where magical. Since then he's been hit & miss for me to the point where I haven't automatically gone. Fortunately I heard tapes of the first 2 shows of the current tour before tickets went on sale here. I'm going. The stripped down band really appeals to me, not to mention the set list. Over the last 10 years or so, things were getting a little bloated. I really liked the River shows I heard. Lots of Little Steven, which is a hugely good thing. Looking forward to it but truth be told, I'm way more excited about the Iggy Pop show I'm seeing 4 days later. The new Iggy album has leaked online & it's a doozy. I'm going to buy it & I got lucky on the presale for the show with really good seats. Iggy is talking retirement & it looks like he is going out with a bang.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: February 16, 2016 12:25

midimannz
The live
releases after the shows are taking too long,

I´m glad they take more time mixing the live recordings.
The recordings of this tour sound definitely better then the ones from the High Hopes Tour, I prefer a good mixed show then a show they mixed in a rush where i pay for.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: February 16, 2016 15:28

i like bruce, i go to see him every time he plays in italy. but i am quite cold when he calls on stage 89 years old women, children etc etc. it is not my idea of r'n'r' concert, sorry. i hope mick will never do that.
and, maybe is not true, i think that also when he shares the mike with some children to sing waiting on a sunny day...it is al prepared. like the song requests....... i think that somehow is prepared with local fan club etc etc i don't wanna say that i don't like it, but i am not really excited about that. sometimes he plays songs that you must rehearsal at l east 10 minutes before the concert ...every professional player knows how to play satisfaction or have you ever seen the rain, but other songs.....you must be prepared

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 16, 2016 17:57

New:

05/14 - Barcelona - Camp Nou
05/17 - San Sebastián - Estadio de Anoeta
05/21 - Madrid - Estadio Santiago Bernabéu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-16 17:58 by Happy24.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 16, 2016 18:31

Happy24
New:

05/14 - Barcelona - Camp Nou
05/17 - San Sebastián - Estadio de Anoeta
05/21 - Madrid - Estadio Santiago Bernabéu

Fantastic

Nate thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home