Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live At Leeds University
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 10, 2015 17:45

Out of curiosity: WHY is Shine A Light "one giant shiny turd"?

Any other members around here who think so?

I´ve listened to it yesterday and although I´m not much of a fan of "Shattered" on SG, I enjoyed the Shine-A-Light-live-version. The opening JJF is marvelous in any way. Mick and the boys shine on every song.

Date: December 10, 2015 18:24

Connection lacks a few verses and Little T+A is a little light on guitars? smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 10, 2015 18:27

HMS

I´ve listened to it yesterday and although I´m not much of a fan of "Shattered" on SG, I enjoyed the Shine-A-Light-live-version. The opening JJF is marvelous in any way. Mick and the boys shine on every song.

Poor performances. Pretentious setting. Contrived drama. And that's just before the band takes the stage. it is a low point.

Date: December 10, 2015 18:33

I think Keith did a good take with Dorothy before the show..

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 10, 2015 18:36

:-)

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 11, 2015 10:38

Turner68
HMS

Poor performances. Pretentious setting. Contrived drama. And that's just before the band takes the stage. it is a low point.

Perhaps if Scorsese had let in the Hells Angels or if DeNiro was on bass it might be watchable but as it is I have to agree it's 'one giant shiny turd.'

Date: December 11, 2015 10:47

Not to stray too far off topc here, SAL is way better to listen to as a live album, than as a music film, imo. Remember, there are two different mixes as well.

The visuals are disturbing, and the enhanced sound when a musician is in the picture isn't very rewarding musically (not their fault, though).

So, as a live album it's not a shiny turd, albeit it's very uneven. As a film I tend to agree, though..

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: December 11, 2015 11:21

Re: Shine a Light.
Performance is overall very poor - and Keith's soloing on Sympathy is the nadir of his recorded output.. The same bloody Chuck Berry lick repeated endlessly..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-11 11:22 by LukeTheDrifter.

Date: December 11, 2015 11:30

LukeTheDrifter
Re: Shine a Light.
Performance is overall very poor - and Keith's soloing on Sympathy is the nadir of his recorded output.. The same bloody Chuck Berry lick repeated endlessly..

There are no Berry-licks in his SFTD-solos.

Date: December 11, 2015 14:27

Funny about the Berry-licks is that Keith played them on the 1970-tour (ice- cream, Roll over Beethoven),in open G. So the lowered e-string makes it different.
Essen 1970 deserves to be a subject in this thread as it is their best performance of the 7-tees tour, imo. Maybe you can consider it, DP.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 11, 2015 14:42

DancelittleSister
Funny about the Berry-licks is that Keith played them on the 1970-tour (ice- cream, Roll over Beethoven),in open G. So the lowered e-string makes it different.
Essen 1970 deserves to be a subject in this thread as it is their best performance of the 7-tees tour, imo. Maybe you can consider it, DP.

For sure..the best 1970 show...a soundboard of that show would be brilliant!

Date: December 11, 2015 14:44

DancelittleSister

smiling smiley

Not all the Berry songs were in open G.

However, he also played Around And Around in open G on the El Mocambo-show, with brilliant Berry licks, of course. The lowered e-string SOMETIMES made it different. That depend on whether he used his pinky two frets up (as he did sometimes) to make those licks sound like in standard tuning.

PS: I know a guy who praised this show earlier today as well winking smiley

A bootleg talk? Yeah, why not..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-11 14:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 12, 2015 05:22

I listened to it tonight while exercising, it was awesome. Bitch was out of this world. To think that you had to wait more than 40 years to hear it is mind blowing. This one brings to life the old cliche about "the vaults."

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: December 12, 2015 13:44

DandelionPowderman
pepganzo
Their best show.
Love all from this recording.
Keith on fire; MT on fire; Jagger is a brilliant here.
Great tour

Better than the Roundhouse show(s)?

Yes I think so. This concert has got something special.
Maybe at the Roundhouse they played better than at Leeds but I think that the atmosphere is different here.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 8, 2016 18:03

Phil Good
Alas, I live in Germany and that means that I can't hear it as well as we can't hear or see here so many other vids.
It's all blocked here by GEMA. It's a real shame.
Well, I don't want to say more about these people.

Try it with the Tor-Browser ...

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: January 9, 2016 02:39

I find it interesting that the opening crowd reaction sounds very similar to when the who came on stage at the same location....

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: February 19, 2016 22:46

snorton
I find it interesting that the opening crowd reaction sounds very similar to when the who came on stage at the same location....

thumbs up

Love this concert and love the Who's one.
There is something in the air at Leeds.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home