Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live At Leeds University
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 8, 2015 13:39

Ya-Ya's is great but not their best,

Shine A Light is better than that... GYYO=most overrated live-album, EOMS=most overrated studio-album...

If we had a complete Roundhouse gig, then that would be their ultimate live album. What a pity that they gave us only a couple of tracks on BS-Deluxe.

Maybe someday they´ll release the entire gig, it would be very much appreciated.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 8, 2015 13:44

'In 2014 Chris Kimsey returned to Olympic Studios, where he began his career. He is serving as the sound consultant and engineer for its live concert series and recording facilities.'

Wikipedia

That's promising!

Edit: Sorry wrong thread! eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 13:45 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 8, 2015 13:48

Tops
Mathijs
And nothing tops Ya-Ya's of course!

zzzzzzzzz! Yes Ya-Ya's is a very good album but it's not THAT fantastic.

By the way.....Good Review over at pitchfork
[pitchfork.com]

Of the three it is, for sure.

That said, I prefer LA 1975 and Hampton 81 over anything else.

Mathijs

Date: December 8, 2015 13:53

A complete Roundhouse-gig HAS TO BE RELEASED OFFICIALLY! Pure greatness!
Let us start a petition right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 13:54 by HMS.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 8, 2015 14:02

*that's some kind of wonderful talent, voila! Here ya go.
In other words, thanks :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 14:04 by 35love.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 8, 2015 15:09

HMS

Shine A Light is better than that... GYYO=most overrated live-album, EOMS=most overrated studio-album...

If we had a complete Roundhouse gig, then that would be their ultimate live album. What a pity that they gave us only a couple of tracks on BS-Deluxe.

Maybe someday they´ll release the entire gig, it would be very much appreciated.

You think Shine A Light is better than Ya-Ya's ( eye popping smiley ) but still think a complete Roundhouse would be the best of all. confused smiley

Date: December 8, 2015 15:11

A complete Roundhouse would be awesome but I wonder why they didn't release the whole show immediately. Perhaps the tape was wonky in some places, or Mick didn't think some songs hold up (which wouldn't really make sense, since they've released quite a few messy or lame renditions lately (the whole LA 75 dvd, for instance).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 8, 2015 15:13

HMS
Leeds is indeed better than GYYO and so is Brussel and LA Forum and Shine A Light.

GYYO is good but not supreme and almost everything on it is faked, so forget about GYYO. Meanwhile there are much better live documents available. Most of them are not faked.

SHINE A LIGHT is faked. The whole thing was one giant fake.

"Almost everything" on GYYYO is faked? You need to learn how to read.

Date: December 8, 2015 15:13

LieB
A complete Roundhouse would be awesome but I wonder why they didn't release the whole show immediately. Perhaps the tape was wonky in some places, or Mick didn't think some songs hold up (which wouldn't really make sense, since they've released quite a few messy or lame renditions lately (the whole LA 75 dvd, for instance).

The part we got has songs from both Roundhouse shows, I believe.

If memory serves, one of those shows was remarkably superior to the other..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 8, 2015 15:17

HMS

SHINE A LIGHT - One giant shiny turd
GYYYO - Historically, critically and fan wise one of the greatest live albums ever
EOMS - Historically, critically and fan wise one of the greatest studio albums ever and one of the Stones' best albums.

But by all means continue to ignore facts and spew forth such atrocious fiction.

Date: December 8, 2015 16:07

A "live" album like GYYO on which even the singer´s vocals are overdubbed (not to mention the guitar parts), cannot considered "one of the greatest live albums ever". It is a fake.

I dont know if Shine A Light is overdubbed and to which extent, but even if it is, it is still better by far than GYYO. It is more authentical and honest. The playing is better, the singing is better, the tempos of the songs are better, the setlist is better and even Charlie is better although Charlie is the best you can say about GYYO.

EOMS is partly pure greatness, partly average-subpar. All of the truly great Stones-albums were realized before Exile.

Date: December 8, 2015 16:12

HMS
A "live" album like GYYO on which even the singer´s vocals are overdubbed (not to mention the guitar parts), cannot considered "one of the greatest live albums ever". It is a fake.

I dont know if Shine A Light is overdubbed and to which extent, but even if it is, it is still better by far than GYYO. It is more authentical and honest. The playing is better, the singing is better, the tempos of the songs are better, the setlist is better and even Charlie is better although Charlie is the best you can say about GYYO.

EOMS is partly pure greatness, partly average-subpar. All of the truly great Stones-albums were realized before Exile.

Supposedly, it's the only Stones live album not to feature overdubs. Before the Stonesarchive/From The Vault-releases, that is (even some of them have overdubs smiling smiley )

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: December 8, 2015 17:28

LieB

I think the case is that they want all the known bootlegs in soundboard quality to be released before they give us something new.
It's no coincidence that they gave us LA75, Hampton, Tokyo instead of releasing something new.

They want to clear the market from unofficial pro-shots and make them unprofitable. Logically this means Double Door '97, Soldier Field '97, Tokyo '95 will be released officially.

Roundhouse was just a teaser, the time will come when they've nothing but unheard soundboards to release and then the full Roundhouse shows will probably show up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 17:30 by EasterMan.

Date: December 8, 2015 17:48

EasterMan
LieB

I think the case is that they want all the known bootlegs in soundboard quality to be released before they give us something new.
It's no coincidence that they gave us LA75, Hampton, Tokyo instead of releasing something new.

They want to clear the market from unofficial pro-shots and make them unprofitable. Logically this means Double Door '97, Soldier Field '97, Tokyo '95 will be released officially.

Roundhouse was just a teaser, the time will come when they've nothing but unheard soundboards to release and then the full Roundhouse shows will probably show up.

They started out with the (for us) new Brussels show, though.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 8, 2015 21:18

LieB
HMS

You think Shine A Light is better than Ya-Ya's ( eye popping smiley ) but still think a complete Roundhouse would be the best of all. confused smiley

Yeah, something doesn't really add up here...something smells fishy... I think HMS is just attention-seeking and trying to stir things up here on this board a bit, see also his Dirty Work campaign.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 8, 2015 21:54

HMS

eye popping smiley This post made me giggle!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 8, 2015 22:12

All of the truly great Stones-albums were realized before Exile.

.....But But But ...D..D.D..D..Dirty Work came some 14 years later....HHAAAhhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: December 8, 2015 22:49

Dirty Work isnt a "truly great" Stones-album, it is just a "great" Stones-album. They have released great albums after Sticky Fingers, but not truly great ones. Sticky Fingers is the last "truly great" album as Dirty Work is the last "great" album.

I like Shine A Light a lot more than GYYO, I have explained already the reasons why. For further info please read the immortal words of Martin Scorsese in the booklet. The man knows.

Although I love Shine A Light, I would love a complete Roundhouse gig even more. The tracks on BS-Deluxe are fantastic. It´s that easy, there is nothing smelling fishy, no seeking attention, no campaigning.

Date: December 8, 2015 22:59

BS Deluxe?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 8, 2015 23:00

Okay .... I fink I can see where we're headin' .....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 8, 2015 23:07

DandelionPowderman
BS Deluxe?

SF Deluxe of course.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: December 9, 2015 00:01

GasLightStreet
shawnriffhard1
whitem8
Well Ya Ya's is perfect due to the many overdubs.
Except that there aren't many overdubs on GYYO. Six vocals and one or two possible guitar overdubs. Only one overdub was actually different to the live performance and that's JJFlash because they wanted the phrasing to match what everyone was familiar with as opposed to the drawn out version from the tour.

GYYYO overdubs:
1. Jumpin' Jack Flash: vocal overdubbed.

2. Carol: vocals overdubbed no guitar dubs micks playing obvious in turnarounds

3. Stray Cat Blues: vocals overdubbed.

4. Love In Vain: no overdubs.

5. Midnight Rambler: no overdubs.

6. Sympathy For The Devil: vocals overdubbed , one verse and chorus edited out

7. Live With Me: vocals overdubbed.

8. Little Queenie: vocals overdubbed.Mick Taylor's guitar piece is overdubbed (by KEITH!).

9. Honky Tonk Women: vocals overdubbed.

10. Street Fighting Man: vocals overdubbed.

sorry GLS , a couple of minor corrections

as for love in vain , nothing beats the howling of mick jagger in sync with the howling slide guitar after the last verse in ya yas surely !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-09 00:04 by straycatblues73.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: December 9, 2015 00:03

Phil Good
Alas, I live in Germany and that means that I can't hear it as well as we can't hear or see here so many other vids.
It's all blocked here by GEMA. It's a real shame.
Well, I don't want to say more about these people.

Try [dirpy.com] for videos blocked in Germany.

Date: December 9, 2015 00:35

GasLightStreet
HMS

GYYYO - Historically, critically and fan wise one of the greatest live albums ever
EOMS - Historically, critically and fan wise one of the greatest studio albums ever and one of the Stones' best albums.

But by all means continue to ignore facts and spew forth such atrocious fiction.

>grinning smiley<

Date: December 9, 2015 00:40

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
LieB

They started out with the (for us) new Brussels show, though.

Yeah, I'm not sure "beating the bootleggers" makes sense anymore in this age of youtube. But I sure wish you're right, EasterMan, and we will get plenty of good unheard boots in the future.

VideoJames said in another thread earlier this year that only a few shows of each tour in '72 and '78 were recorded to multitracks -- the rest were only recorded as reference recordings off the soundboard. So that could explain why they've released well known shows such as Brussels and LA '75 so far. Perhaps in the future, when they're getting closer to the bottom of the barrel, we'll get more "bootleggish" official releases of varying sound quality. Still, I think there would be several multitrack recordings of the '72 and '75 tours that we haven't heard yet.

Date: December 9, 2015 01:35

They should have the radio broadcasts from some 1965-1967 shows, though...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 9, 2015 01:39

DandelionPowderman

They probably don't own those radio broadcasts though.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 10, 2015 13:40

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

They probably don't own those radio broadcasts though.

No major obstacle, though - they should be able to buy the tapes for a fix sum that probably would not surpass the amount of money they pay to their side musicians for one single show... if there's a will, there's alway a way. We're not talking about million sellers here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-10 13:41 by alimente.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 10, 2015 14:04

GasLightStreet

Although I agree with you:

These are not facts, GLS - these are statements.

and thàt's a fact. smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home