Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live At Leeds University
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 5, 2015 23:55

TheBlockbuster
+

Jumping Jack Flash, and Live With Me, are mind-blowing on this release, better than on GYYYO.

The audio quality is also fantastic for being such an old recording.

-

Very bland versions of Street Fighting Man and Dead Flowers,
Keefs monotonic soloing on Bitch is a bit too much for me.

Uhhhhh. No on Jumpin' Jack Flash being better than the one on GYYYO (or GIMME SHELTER for that matter). Live With Me is interesting in that it's got the same mean ass progression that they did in 1969 but starts with the piano this time. It's a mean shuffle, unlike what they did in 1994 etc like the album version.

Listening to Stray Cat Blues is a great example of how Mick really SANG back then.

It's pretty good and only better than GYYYO strictly in terms of how much more is on it. Let It Rock is awesome. But GYYYO is still supreme.

Date: December 6, 2015 00:42

Live With Me is better on the Roundhouse show.

Date: December 6, 2015 00:47

Eleanor Rigby
Any live release from 1969 - 1973 soundboard, professionally mixed will always be in the top few Stones (and other bands) live releases...because they were so good live during this period.

I find JJF here a little out of tune.

This show is nowhere near the perfection of ya ya's..plus doesnt have the electric/atmosphere of the 1969 tour.
Its still a great show...

If the Stones ever release Essen 1970 in this format then you will find a true rival to ya ya's !!!

I agree with everything you post here.

Live At Leeds University is a good performance but it doesn't sound overall badass to me. Something is missing, as if they are aware of being recorded. 'The RS 1971 live-itch' I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-06 00:48 by DancelittleSister.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 6, 2015 00:55

Well Ya Ya's is perfect due to the many overdubs. And yes, it is an amazing live album! Leeds is fantastic, and different being raw live. Some fantastic warts. That bum note that Keith plays, sounding purposely bad, in the middle slow blues part of Midnight Rambler, is sublime. It is so bad it is beautiful. Seems to be part anger and part flipping off someone. The version of Love in Vain is superb with the horns adding a Stax whip that is stunning. This is a thrilling live album that ranks as one of their best.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 6, 2015 01:19

The Stones were aware of course that they were being recorded!
It was broadcast on BBC Radio One's In Concert series. So the quality was always likely to be good and I am surprised it has taken so long to see the light of day.

Many of the leading Acts of the period were featured in the programme.
It was a good counterpart to the TV "In Concert" programme. They was generally acoustic sets in front of a studio audience. Singer songwriters featured heavily.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: December 6, 2015 02:40

whitem8
Well Ya Ya's is perfect due to the many overdubs.
Except that there aren't many overdubs on GYYO. Six vocals and one or two possible guitar overdubs. Only one overdub was actually different to the live performance and that's JJFlash because they wanted the phrasing to match what everyone was familiar with as opposed to the drawn out version from the tour.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 6, 2015 02:48

There are plenty of overdubs and edits on GYYO, and certainly more than Leeds! I don't care, I love GYYO, its my favorite Live album by them. As I have written before, the overdubs are done masterfully to capture the pure essence of The Rolling Stones live in 1969. I do wish though, they would have left Symatphay for the Devil intact.

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: December 6, 2015 03:08

The Leeds '71 release and the Roundhouse '71 recordings kick-ass. Now the complete Leeds show and also in great sounding stereo (earlier unauthorized releases are missing the first two songs, which are great and are only in mono).

The Stones have finally done a proper reissue. Thank you for not "doctoring" the old tracks with contemporary vocals and mixes.Just the cool outtakes and great live performances as they were recorded in the day.

These "hometown" shows have a great energy and loose feel.

Chris M.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 6, 2015 03:14

shawnriffhard1
whitem8
Except that there aren't many overdubs on GYYO. Six vocals and one or two possible guitar overdubs. Only one overdub was actually different to the live performance and that's JJFlash because they wanted the phrasing to match what everyone was familiar with as opposed to the drawn out version from the tour.

Correct...the vocal overdubs were unnecessary IMO..just jagger/richards being fussy. The band were flawless. However you have to remember its a mix of concerts..and the best were taken of each song.

A complete MSG show would be the ultimate.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2015 05:54

shawnriffhard1
whitem8

GYYYO overdubs:
1. Jumpin' Jack Flash: vocal overdubbed.

2. Carol: Mick Taylor's guitar piece is possibly overdubbed (by KEITH!).

3. Stray Cat Blues: vocals overdubbed.

4. Love In Vain: no overdubs.

5. Midnight Rambler: no overdubs.

6. Sympathy For The Devil: no overdubs supposedly

7. Live With Me: vocals overdubbed.

8. Little Queenie: vocals overdubbed.

9. Honky Tonk Women: vocals overdubbed.

10. Street Fighting Man: vocals overdubbed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-06 05:57 by GasLightStreet.

Date: December 6, 2015 10:10

LQ has a guitar overdub, like Carol.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 6, 2015 12:47

DancelittleSister
Live At Leeds University is a good performance but it doesn't sound overall badass to me. Something is missing, as if they are aware of being recorded. 'The RS 1971 live-itch' I guess.

I agree. I believe the difference has several reasons. They played smaller venues with their usual large Ampegs so the guitar sound is less overdriven and creamy. Keith was a mess personally with heroin problems, coming late to shows, etc., and the tour was so short I suppose they never really got locked into it like they usually did after a number of shows. The '69 tour was a bigger and more serious undertaking, and the MSG shows were very late in the tour so they were extremely well oiled at that point. (You can hear that they played really well at other shows late in the tour as well.)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 6, 2015 15:26

One version of this show was my first bootleg ever - titled LEED STONES - THE FLAMIN' GROUPIE, served with the "Have You Seen YOur Mother, Baby" drag cover and in an orange vinyl... Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed of the quality in sound- and performance-wise; sounded a bit lazy and breathless, and this has been impression for all these years.

Anyway, it was great to have it officially released with a top quality sound and including those two missing tracks. Anything from those years is worth of praisal. The problem with the context of its release is though the Roundhouse cuts... Those just happened to be such high-calibre stuff, coming out out of blue...

Still it is a bit breathless performance for me. The biggest problem is the maestro Richards. When he is not 'on', the band simply suffers from that, no matter qhat the others do (even though the slower and bluesier teh material, better Keith is - he seemingly had a 'bluesy' mood that night, and lacking some energy...) Comparing, say "Rambler" to the version in Roundhouse, one can easily hear the difference between an 'on' and 'out' night (and very rarely I have the feeling that Keith is too loud - here he is). And even though Jagger sings beautifully - at the moment I have the picture that 1971 was his best tour singing-wise - he doesn't quite match his outstanding Roundhouse delivery, but that was exceptional night for him I guess (compare, say, "Stray Cat Blues"). But then again, for example, "Love Is Vain" is strikingly breath-taking performance from all of them.

But that brief criticism aside, LIVE AT LEEDS is a superb release, catching the band in an interesting moment in their career. So dark and blue. I've been lately listened much to two just released DVDs (LEEDS '82 and TOKYO '90), and now when writing to this review, I put LEEDS '71 on again - and damn it sounds so much better and exciting than either of those two! It's not that they play any worse or better, the music in 1971 just simply moves me more.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-06 15:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: obonpaxis ()
Date: December 6, 2015 21:28

Good to have Leeds in stereo, but I'm not too fond of the way a lot of these vault shows have been mixed. Too much fake reverb on everything. Maybe Clearmountain is attempting to restore some "venue ambience" to the recordings, but I prefer the dry sound of the boots.

Leeds and the Marquee both seem like "off" gigs for Keith. The Roundhouse stuff was a revelation.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 6, 2015 21:42

obonpaxis
Good to have Leeds in stereo, but I'm not too fond of the way a lot of these vault shows have been mixed. Too much fake reverb on everything. Maybe Clearmountain is attempting to restore some "venue ambience" to the recordings, but I prefer the dry sound of the boots.

Leeds and the Marquee both seem like "off" gigs for Keith. The Roundhouse stuff was a revelation.

It is actually amazing he was ever "on" that year given the level of mind numbing going on

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: December 6, 2015 21:54

GasLightStreet
TheBlockbuster
+

Jumping Jack Flash, and Live With Me, are mind-blowing on this release, better than on GYYYO.

-

Uhhhhh. No on Jumpin' Jack Flash being better than the one on GYYYO (or GIMME SHELTER for that matter). Live With Me is interesting in that it's got the same mean ass progression that they did in 1969 but starts with the piano this time. It's a mean shuffle, unlike what they did in 1994 etc like the album version.

Listening to Stray Cat Blues is a great example of how Mick really SANG back then.

It's pretty good and only better than GYYYO strictly in terms of how much more is on it. Let It Rock is awesome. But GYYYO is still supreme.

The Leeds version of JFF is stupendously good. JFF from GYYYO doesn't come near it.

I can't understand how anyone would ever prefer the GYYYO album to Leeds. Leeds is superior in every way, it has excellent audio quality (GYYYO is a muddy mess), the playing is better from years of touring since 1969 and the addition of Nicky Hopkins on Love In Vain + Bobby Keys on Live With Me settles the deal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-06 23:07 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: December 6, 2015 22:57

TheBlockbuster
GasLightStreet
TheBlockbuster
+

-

The Leeds version of JFF is stupendously good. JFF from GYYYO doesn't come near it.

I can't understand how anyone would ever prefer the GYYYO album to Leeds. Leeds is superior in every way, it has excellent audio quality (GYYYO is a muddy mess), the playing is better from years of touring since 1969 and the addition of Ian Stewart on Love In Vain + Bobby Keys on Live With Me settles the deal.

Agree. Thought GYYYO was the ultimate.......until I heard this.

Date: December 6, 2015 23:00

The Ya Yas-JJF has better guitar sound, better playing and guitars that are in tune. Love both versions, though.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 6, 2015 23:38

Leeds is indeed better than GYYO and so is Brussel and LA Forum and Shine A Light.

GYYO is good but not supreme and almost everything on it is faked, so forget about GYYO. Meanwhile there are much better live documents available. Most of them are not faked.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 7, 2015 09:21

HMS
Leeds is indeed better than GYYO and so is Brussel and LA Forum and Shine A Light.

GYYO is good but not supreme and almost everything on it is faked, so forget about GYYO. Meanwhile there are much better live documents available. Most of them are not faked.

I almost spat up my tomato soup when I read your first sentence.

Date: December 7, 2015 10:11

I've had this bootleg for decades and never was much of a fan of this show.

However, it was great having it in stereo. I wouldn't say in good sound quality, because it isn't really.

My main gripe with this show (and with most of the 1971 shows I've heard) is that Keith and Taylor are very sloppy with their choice of sound. That destroys it for me. That is even worse on the Marquee show, though.

Taylor's spiky, thin sound on JJF. Keith's too clean sound in places. Doesn't work for me.

For some reason, this was not a problem on the Roundhouse show, which sounds excellent.

The drum sound on Leeds also sound bootleg-ish, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-07 10:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: December 7, 2015 10:13

Blueranger
Phil Good
Alas, I live in Germany and that means that I can't hear it as well as we can't hear or see here so many other vids.
It's all blocked here by GEMA. It's a real shame.
Well, I don't want to say more about these people.

Listen to it on Spotify. It's all there.

Try this! [de.7digital.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-07 10:16 by RockingLonestar.

Posted by: obonpaxis ()
Date: December 7, 2015 21:17

DandelionPowderman

My main gripe with this show (and with most of the 1971 shows I've heard) is that Keith and Taylor are very sloppy with their choice of sound. That destroys it for me. That is even worse on the Marquee show, though.

Taylor's spiky, thin sound on JJF. Keith's too clean sound in places. Doesn't work for me.

Yeah Keith's tone has none of the telltale Ampeg grit and grumble at Leeds. Sounds more like a clean, high-powered Fender silverface of some kind.

Date: December 8, 2015 01:04

obonpaxis
DandelionPowderman

Yeah Keith's tone has none of the telltale Ampeg grit and grumble at Leeds. Sounds more like a clean, high-powered Fender silverface of some kind.

It's the same for Taylor. We know why, but I can't fathom how they accepted, let alone kept on playing with that totally different sound...

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: December 8, 2015 01:51

Overdubs or not, we can only judge what is presented to us. I was at the Leeds gig, as I have posted before, so the recording should hold some affection for me. It's good but has it's faults as others here have mentioned. For me, GYYO is a fantastic album and stands any amount of listening. Yes, it's overdubbed here and there but, like a woman with a little discreet makeup, it's makes such a difference.

I was also at the Roundhay Park gig too, which holds only memories of waiting outdoors in scorching heat for hours and suffering J Geils band battering on and on. I haven't been to a Stones gig since and don't suppose I will again.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 8, 2015 11:00

It's fabulous to have these gigs in such good sound, but Leeds just isn't a very good show. They are tired and sloppy in places. Roundhouse just is much better, you can hear the band is excited to play in their hometown. And nothing tops Ya-Ya's of course!

Mathijs

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: December 8, 2015 12:59

Mathijs
And nothing tops Ya-Ya's of course!

zzzzzzzzz! Yes Ya-Ya's is a very good album but it's not THAT fantastic.

By the way.....Good Review over at pitchfork
[pitchfork.com]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: December 8, 2015 13:18

Their best show.
Love all from this recording.
Keith on fire; MT on fire; Jagger is a brilliant here.
Great tour

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 8, 2015 13:19

Ya-Ya's is great but not their best,

Date: December 8, 2015 13:25

pepganzo
Their best show.
Love all from this recording.
Keith on fire; MT on fire; Jagger is a brilliant here.
Great tour

Better than the Roundhouse show(s)?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home