Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: RIP Scott Weiland
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 11, 2015 08:02

treaclefingers
swimtothemoon
Naturalust
Father Ted
Take away the "rock star" mythology from Scott Weiland and what you're left with was a very unwell man with numerous mental health and substance abuse problems. The music industry is culpable in letting people like SW continue to work in, to understate it, an unhealthy environment. SW had a contract with someone, he was an employee of some company - what did they do to ensure his safety at work, knowing of his serious mental health/drug problems?

I think his ex-wife, understandably angry because her children now have no father, was quite right to let rip publicly. Let's not celebrate the myth of another needlessly dead junkie rock star.

What rock star mythology? Scott was a certifiable rock star no myths involved Ted. We could say the same thing about Keith and Ronnie. Until you've walked a day in the man's shoes I don't think it really fair to judge the man so harshly.

Addiction is considered a disease by most professionals, unfortunately one that takes the sick person to decide if and when they want to get better. Yes ultimately Scott was probably mostly responsible for all his screw ups, blown relationships and everything TMZ and all the other media whores dig up on him so people can salivate and watch a man suffering from within the bubbles of their own lives. I'm sure plenty of people around Scott tried to help him get well, we don't know the details of how his management tried to help him, they obviously didn't want the guy to die. We don't really even know how the guy died yet.

Obviously his ex-wife was angry, pretty clear from that scathing article, she's got the right to feel any way she wants, but publishing that crap a couple days after his death didn't do anyone any good,imo. She wasn't speaking out for support of addiction or mental health services, she wasn't really helping her kids out or mine. At this point I think the man deserves some compassion and celebration for what he did give the world, a piece of his heart and soul and some great music obviously at a great cost.

Yes it's not right glorifying the junkie rock star lifestyle but Scott never did that. He spoke pretty openly about his problems, obviously wanted to heal himself and had lots of guilt and pain...it was written on the guys face in the last few years. He did some good work with Music Cares, donated quite a bit of money to them and did some interviews promoting sobriety and talking about the dangers of drugs. His mythology is not some rock star glorifying the use of drugs and poor lifestyle choice, imo....it is of an addicted and genius musician who never fully healed from his illness.

RIP Scott, I for one will celebrate what you were able to give us.

Nicely put...

one wonders though, if he'd have given the whole thing up to live another 30 or 40 years. live fast die young looks great on paper, but he'll never see his kids grow up or anything else.

Yes no question the lifestyle, temptation etc. didn't work for him. Addictive like a drug I suppose. Sad story from ever angle.

OT: Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts - Blaster
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 9, 2015 20:22

Scott's last record is a great release this year. The song circles conjures up
Factory Girl. RIP

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts - Blaster
Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: December 9, 2015 23:42

Good album. So Sad about Scott

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 10, 2015 00:13

Does Weiland = Meadow has Dutch roots?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 10, 2015 02:20

Awesome, didn't know about this. I'll have to grab it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 10, 2015 02:30

Not bad! Really sad to know that both of the authors of the tune are now gone.

Scott Weiland and Jeremy Brown. RIP

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 10, 2015 21:15

NICOS

No, he took that name from his stepdad, his real last name is Kline (thank you wikipedia smoking smiley )

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 10, 2015 22:26

Koen
NICOS

No, he took that name from his stepdad, his real last name is Kline (thank you wikipedia smoking smiley )

Thanks Koen ...............

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 11, 2015 04:13

Interesting ... the bonus version includes a cover of Jean Genie

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: December 11, 2015 14:03

Vibes at its CORE

RIP

Scott Weiland - Dead Flowers
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: December 11, 2015 06:46

Re: Scott Weiland - Dead Flowers
Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: December 11, 2015 11:47

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Scott Weiland - Dead Flowers
Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: December 11, 2015 12:29

That was lovely.

Date: December 12, 2015 10:58

lady picture show. what a fantastic tune

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 12, 2015 14:40

Saw his ex-wife's article in RS last night and must say I was quite shaken, really sad on all levels and it somehow made "sense" ("Many of these artists have children", etc...) but you're right NL, it's her side of the story and one of the disturbing parts : "the last day he could be propped up in front of a microphone for the financial benefit or enjoyment of others" (with "child support checks often never arrived" that came later) has to be put into perspective with the $720k/year she was getting from him. I'm not sure how much his overall income was but in these lean days for musicians it would have had to have been a decent chunk...

Anyway RIP SW.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-13 01:25 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: December 12, 2015 14:51

Scott was one of the greatest singer of grunge and of the 'modern' rock.
What he did with Velvet Revolver and Stone Temple Pilots is great.

[www.youtube.com]

Roadhouse blues with Robby Kriger

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:43

'Toxicology Results Show SCOTT WEILAND Overdosed On Cocaine, Alcohol And Ecstasy'

Read more at [www.blabbermouth.net]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home