Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: RIP Scott Weiland
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 4, 2015 08:12

Apparently the Stone Temple Pilots' singer died on the band's tour bus. RIP Scott.

[www.billboard.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-04 12:05 by Silver Dagger.

OT: RIP Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 4, 2015 08:20

Scott Weiland, Former Stone Temple Pilots Singer, Dead at 48

12/4/2015 by Shirley Halperin

Scott Weiland performs onstage during the SXSW Radio Day Stage at the Austin Convention Center on March 19, 2015 in Austin, Texas.

Scott Weiland, the former frontman for rock bands Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, has died, his Facebook page confirmed early Friday morning (Dec. 4).

"Scott Weiland, best known as the lead singer for Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, passed away in his sleep while on a tour stop in Bloomington, Minnesota, with his band The Wildabouts," a post on Weiland's Facebook page reads. "At this time we ask that the privacy of Scott’s family be respected."

Dave Navarro, guitarist and member of Jane's Addiction, first tweeted the news at 9:01 p.m. PT on Thursday night: "Our friend Scott Weiland has died." (He has since deleted the tweet.)

Scott Weiland Mourned by Krist Novoselic, Joe Perry, Ryan Adams & More

Weiland and his latest band, Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, were scheduled to tour this month with upcoming dates at Reno, NV on Dec. 18 and City Winery in Napa on Dec. 19.

The Bloomington, Minn. Police Department issued a statement at 11:15 p.m. PT detailing the events as such: On Dec. 3rd at 8:22 p.m., officers responded to a report of an unresponsive adult male in a recreational motor vehicle located in the 2200 block of Killebrew Drive. "Officers arrived and determined the adult male was deceased," read the release, which did not identify the deceased. The address seems to correspond to a local Country Inn & Suites hotel.

The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office and the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office will continue investigating the death with updates to come.

Weiland turned 48 on Oct. 27. He long suffered from substance abuse issues.

A California native, Weiland formed the band Stone Temple Pilots with brothers Robert and Dean DeLeo and saw huge commercial success in the 1990s. In 1993, the band’s debut album Core peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 followed by an even bigger achievement a year later in 1994, when STP released the No. 1 album Purple, which contained several radio hits including the songs “Big Empty,” “Vasoline” and “Interstate Love Song.”

The band would eventually land 11 top 10 hits on the Alternative Songs chart, including the three-week No. 1 "Between the Lines" in 2010. "Interstate Love Song" led the Mainstream Rock Songs chart for 15 weeks.

Featuring Weiland’s distinctive lower register singing style, a sort of growl that grew ever more popular in the post-grunge years, STP went on to sell 13.5 million albums in the U.S., according to Nielsen Music, but infighting eventually drove the members apart. The band took the first of several hiatuses just a few years after reaching their apex of their popularity, during which Weiland participated in several side projects.

Scott Weiland's Chart History, From Stone Temple Pilots to Velvet Revolver to the Wildabouts

Stone Temple Pilots would carry on in various incarnation in the coming years. Most recently, the group recruited Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington to handle frontman duties. He announced his exit from the group on Nov. 9.

In 2002, Weiland joined former Guns N' Roses members Slash (guitars), Duff McKagan (bass) and Matt Sorum (drums) in a supergroup called Velvet Revolver. They released an album called Contraband in June 2004 and another in 2007 called Libertad, the last to feature Weiland on vocals. Combined, they sold 2.4 million units.

By then, Weiland had weathered several public run-ins with the law, mostly due to drug use and driving under the influence. In 1995, the singer was convicted of buying crack cocaine and sentenced to probation. In 2003 and 2007 Weiland was arrested for D.U.I. Heroin was also a drug of choice for Weiland, who had check into a rehabilitation facility but did not finish the program, according to reports around 2007.

Tributes to the late singer have been pouring in from all over the music world. Former MTV VJ and longtime radio personality Matt Pinfield wrote on Facebook “I am speechless … and sad at the loss of my friend, and although many of you are probably not surprised, it doesn't make it any easier. Addiction sucks. I will miss you Scott.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-04 12:04 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: News coming in that Scott Weiland has died
Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 4, 2015 08:23

Horrible news indeed... he has battled demons for a long time, lets hope he rests in peace now...

Re: OT: News coming in that Scott Weiland has died
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2015 08:29

RIP

[www.latimes.com]

Re: OT: RIP Scott Weiland
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 4, 2015 09:50

angry smiley sad smiley sad smiley sad smiley @#$%& I'm hurt by this loss. RIP Scott. Thanks for the great tunes. Love and sympathies to his family and friends.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 4, 2015 10:07

Too bad.

I met Scott and Prince Rupert at Four Seasons Toronto back in 1994.
They were spaced out but he did a great job as opening act for the Stones at that night.
Very sad news.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: December 4, 2015 11:13

Naturalust
angry smiley sad smiley sad smiley sad smiley @#$%& I'm hurt by this loss. RIP Scott. Thanks for the great tunes. Love and sympathies to his family and friends.

So sad. I was hoping he'd at least get another crack at Stone Temple Pilots.
Too young sad smiley

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: December 4, 2015 11:15

Terribly sad & such a waste, but not at all surprising

Posted by: novica ()
Date: December 4, 2015 11:37

Sad news...
RIP Scott

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 4, 2015 11:38

RIP, Scott. Tragic.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 4, 2015 11:53

Very saddened by this... but on the other hand he lived much longer than Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley who were born the same year (1967) and led similar, drug-ridden life.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 4, 2015 15:18

very sad R.I.P. .Really good frontman who made some really good music with stone temple pilots and velvet revolver .

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 4, 2015 15:30

Horrible, horrible news.

It sucks to say you're not surprised when something like this happens, but it happens to be true in this case. He had been acting erratic and turned in some very subpar performances this past year even as he continued to insist he was sober.

Very sad. RIP.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 4, 2015 15:42

Addiction.
Demons.
Tragic.
Unavoidable.

R.I.P.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 4, 2015 20:31

I saw him with Stone Temple Pilots in 2001.

RIP Scott Weiland

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 4, 2015 22:34

Scott + STP bandmates with Ronnie and Keith:

[www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: December 5, 2015 00:41

Very sad.

Athough they were a very big band and sold millions of albums, I never thought they got enough respect for the great music they created. They had a whole lot more talent and range than they get credit for. It's such a shame that Scott's demons often got more attention than his great talent and may have cut short his life.

Here's a beautiful STP song about a performer who can't get past her pain.

[www.youtube.com]

Goodbye Scott Weiland.
Condolences to your family and friends.

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: December 5, 2015 02:33

In a 2008 interview with Entertainment Weekly, Weiland said, “There are a lot of junkies that have died with that Keith Richards poster pinned inside their minds: ‘Like, ‘He can do it, why can’t I?’ But no one is Keith. God doesn’t make many of them.”

RIP Scott Weiland.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: December 5, 2015 02:46

My heart is heavy with sadness. MEZ

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 5, 2015 03:14

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-05 03:22 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: swampnuts ()
Date: December 5, 2015 08:26

GS1978
I never thought they got enough respect for the great music they created. They had a whole lot more talent and range than they get credit for.

I agree.
Part of the reason is the 80's (decade) teens and early 20 somethings couldn't get past their beloved hair-head, talentless, tight-leather-pants-with-a sock-buldge 80's rock to appreciate how great the music of the 90's was/is. STP was given a lot artistic freedom and they explored it well.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 5, 2015 09:01

swampnuts
GS1978
I never thought they got enough respect for the great music they created. They had a whole lot more talent and range than they get credit for.

I agree.
Part of the reason is the 80's (decade) teens and early 20 somethings couldn't get past their beloved hair-head, talentless, tight-leather-pants-with-a sock-buldge 80's rock to appreciate how great the music of the 90's was/is. STP was given a lot artistic freedom and they explored it well.

I was never much of a fan of theirs (I liked Soundgarden a lot, Nirvana a bit, and Pearl Jam sort of), but STP were very successful and respected by their many fans.
They also won a variety of awards - including a Grammy. A majority of the disrespect they received came from the music press calling them posers and imitators.

STP

"In a January 1994 Rolling Stone poll, the band was simultaneously voted Best New Band by Rolling Stone's readers and Worst New Band by the magazine's music critics. The following month the group won Favorite Pop/Rock New Artist and Heavy Metal/Hard Rock New Artist at the American Music Awards. In March 1994, the group won a Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance for the song "Plush".

In the spring of 1994, Stone Temple Pilots returned to the studio to work on their second album, Purple. Completed in less than a month, Purple debuted at number one in the United States upon its release on June 7, 1994. The radio-friendly "Interstate Love Song" quickly became a big hit, spending a record-setting fifteen weeks atop the album rock tracks chart. Other hits from the album included "Vasoline" and "Big Empty" (the latter also being featured on the soundtrack to the film The Crow). By October, just four months after its release, Purple had sold three million copies".

Once again, RIP Scott Weiland.
Very sad news and tragic indeed - died too young.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 5, 2015 09:17

swampnuts
GS1978

I agree.

This wasn't the demo that hated STP. The band was hated by the Soundgarden/Nirvana/Pearl Jam fanatics, who considered STP to be grunge lite. (Of course, Pearl Jam took some flak early on as well). I remember all this very well, though it all seems so petty in retrospect.

No 90s hipster at the time would ever admit publicly to liking STP. Of course, these folks - with their selective memories - are all middle-aged and nostalgic now, and mourning Weiland. The PC crowd also zeroed in on "Sex Type Thing," accusing Weiland of being a misogynist and rape fantasist, when it was clear to anyone with half a brain what he was doing - brilliantly - with the song.

STP silenced some of its detractors with the second album: "Vasoline" was/is phenomenal, and I vaguely recall reading that "Interstate Love Song" broke some rock-radio record set by "Start Me Up." The band was on the skids by the 3rd album, but so was grunge, and the Creeds and the Limp Bizkits were about to take over. That made STP look like elder statesmen by comparison, and the band's reputation was enhanced.

Weiland also cut a sympathetic figure since it was obvious to most people that he had a terminal disease. But we always hoped against hope that he would pull through. Everyone loves an underdog. Ultimately the music is the legacy, and STP's catalog is a huge part of the "classic alternative" format.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 5, 2015 12:21

STP on Letterman with Wicked Garden

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-05 12:26 by TooTough.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 5, 2015 13:34

Though I only listened to it today, his last album (Blaster) is rather good. Many well crafted songs and great guitar work throughout. Lots of glam reminescences too (T.Rex).

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: December 5, 2015 19:55

Miss you Scott.
I love what he did with Velvet Revolver and with Stone Temple Pilots.
Grat singer, great frontman.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: December 5, 2015 22:04

I saw this coming, and I'm both sad and angry at this.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 5, 2015 22:36

DeanGoodman
swampnuts
GS1978

I agree.

This wasn't the demo that hated STP. The band was hated by the Soundgarden/Nirvana/Pearl Jam fanatics, who considered STP to be grunge lite. (Of course, Pearl Jam took some flak early on as well). I remember all this very well, though it all seems so petty in retrospect.

No 90s hipster at the time would ever admit publicly to liking STP. Of course, these folks - with their selective memories - are all middle-aged and nostalgic now, and mourning Weiland. The PC crowd also zeroed in on "Sex Type Thing," accusing Weiland of being a misogynist and rape fantasist, when it was clear to anyone with half a brain what he was doing - brilliantly - with the song.

STP silenced some of its detractors with the second album: "Vasoline" was/is phenomenal, and I vaguely recall reading that "Interstate Love Song" broke some rock-radio record set by "Start Me Up." The band was on the skids by the 3rd album, but so was grunge, and the Creeds and the Limp Bizkits were about to take over. That made STP look like elder statesmen by comparison, and the band's reputation was enhanced.

Weiland also cut a sympathetic figure since it was obvious to most people that he had a terminal disease. But we always hoped against hope that he would pull through. Everyone loves an underdog. Ultimately the music is the legacy, and STP's catalog is a huge part of the "classic alternative" format.
Yup, you've got that exactly right. By the time STP came on the scene, no one really cared what the '80s metal crowd thought anymore. They were fully irrelevant.

It was strictly a Nirvana/Soundgarden/AIC/PJ world, and STP was viewed as a poseur band by the grunge elite...much in the same way that Poison was viewed as a poseur pop band by the hardcore Sunset Strip crowd.

But every musical movement that becomes cultural and financially successful has "me too" acts that try to glom onto a movement, but I don't think STP qualifies as that for the grunge/alternative movement.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 5, 2015 22:53

Saw STP open for the Stones, August 20, 1994 at CNE Stadium in Toronto. I knew a couple of songs going in but did not expect much. They sounded like Pearl Jam-Lite. But on-stage they were tight and Weiland's voice was full and strong...blew me away. He (from a LONG distance away) looked robust and healthy and adjusted well to playing to a huge crowd.

A couple month later I start reading mentions of overdoses, sloppy shows and worse. A pretty steep drop.

Some people beat their demons, others just bring more on themselves, mistaking the mask of a buzz for a cure till life becomes about the buzz, not life or what you love.

Very tragic, and happens every day. People need to be able to be open about mental health and emotional issues so stigma is replaced with support, addition replaced with real medicine.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2015 23:58

Say what you will about Scott's descent into addiction and his fall from grace, he was pretty open about all that stuff, you sensed this guy was really trying to find meaning in his life but was one of the type of addicts that never really knew how to recover in the context of being a rock star. And like most addicts the self serving nature of their existence is not very conducive to being in a band and true collaboration with your bandmates. That plagued Scott from early in his career and by the time he started getting a clue about it, so much damage had been done both personally and to his bands in was like the elephant in the room. I was always rooting for his comeback and recovery, one of the reasons I was so saddened by his death.

One think I always liked about STP is that they seemed to be dedicated to the songs and the music. This was no parade of egos or theater of posing, they really seemed to get that it was all about the songs and let the image go where it may. I doubt they cared whether they were considered grunge-lite, they never tried to out grunge the grungers, they just tried to produce the best music they could. I have respect for that kind of attitude and think it served them well since they have quite a few great songs.

I always loved this Zep cover they did.

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1290
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home