Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why can't we embed videos any more?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 1, 2015 11:45

Must have been away when this option was stopped.

Re: Why can't we embed videos any more?
Date: December 1, 2015 11:51

We can, but you have to get up in the corner of your browser, click the shield and allow unsafe scripts, Mike.

Date: December 1, 2015 12:05

What shield Dandy? Can't see one. Right or left corner?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 1, 2015 12:13

Silver Dagger

Silver Dagger, I put together these screen shots before I "went away" in July. Hope it helps.

Incidentally, in bv's "IORR changes - suggestions please!" probably the most feature requested by iorrans is to fix whatever is causing the videos not to display.

- swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 12:51 by swiss.

Date: December 1, 2015 12:14

Silver Dagger

On Chrome it's the right corner.

EDIT: Ah, thank you swiss! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 12:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 1, 2015 12:44

Ugh - there is no shield on my screen. Any other ideas?

Date: December 1, 2015 12:51

Silver Dagger
Ugh - there is no shield on my screen. Any other ideas?

What kind of browser are you using?

Date: December 1, 2015 12:58

Explorer. Although I could use Chrome.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 1, 2015 13:00

I just tested on IE and couldn't get it to work either. Even indicating Show All Content...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 13:02 by swiss.

Date: December 1, 2015 13:00

Firefox (top left corner):

Chrome (top right corner - turned off on the pic, so you don't see the shield)

On Internet Explorer you get a dialog box asking you to show unsecure content automatically.

Date: December 1, 2015 13:02

Here's Chrome WITH the shield in the top right corner:

Date: December 1, 2015 13:03

If Internet Explorer doesn't work just switch to Chrome smiling smiley

Date: December 1, 2015 13:55

Thanks for your help Swiss and Dandy - it works now, with Chrome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 13:56 by Silver Dagger.

Date: December 1, 2015 14:00

thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 1, 2015 14:06

I remember it happened after Bjornulf did some upgrades/changes to the server system, if that's the right way to put it - I'm not a techie at all.

I imagine it's not an easy fix or he would have taken care of it a while ago. I've learned to live with the ghost videos, knowing that I can see them, if I want to or I just use my imagination. grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 1, 2015 16:11

Silver Dagger

Explorer. Isn't that Microsoft? I didn't know people still used that.

FireFox!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 16:12 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: December 1, 2015 18:15

did you notice that ?
for videos on YouTube, the url is most of the time http(s)://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do14BKeW2L8
there is an s and it never worked with it on my computer (winxp with IE, win 10 with Microsoft edge). It only works when you take the s off so you need to have http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do14BKeW2L8

Date: December 1, 2015 19:05

GasLightStreet
Silver Dagger

FireFox!!!

Ha ha. I didn't know people still used gas light streets either? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 2, 2015 08:05

DandelionPowderman
We can, but you have to get up in the corner of your browser, click the shield and allow unsafe scripts, Mike.

So, wait . . I want to see the videos (if they're good videos grinning smiley ), but I don;t want any unsafe stuff in my computer. confused smiley Is this just over-cautious on the part of the browsers?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 2, 2015 12:26

latebloomer
I remember it happened after Bjornulf did some upgrades/changes to the server system, if that's the right way to put it - I'm not a techie at all.

I imagine it's not an easy fix or he would have taken care of it a while ago. I've learned to live with the ghost videos, knowing that I can see them, if I want to or I just use my imagination. grinning smiley

There's a story and reason for the changes.

Google and Mozilla pull the plug on Adobe Flash: Tech giants disable the program on browsers following 'critical' security flaw

Leaked documents recently revealed Adobe Flash has a serious flaw
Vulnerability lets hackers take over a user's computer and install malware
Despite various patches and attempts at fixes, there are still security risks
Google and Mozilla have now pulled support for the plugin on browsers

By Victoria Woollaston for MailOnline

Published: 12:17 GMT, 14 July 2015 | Updated: 16:26 GMT, 14 July 2015
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Why some of you believe it's ok and no big thing to tamper with the security settings of your preferred browser is beyond me.

Abobe has been throwing patch after patch at their old flash player and are still at it ... but still not getting it right.
next year Flash won't be anymore - it becomes "Animate CC". same old crap, no wait, they will include HTML5 which btw is already availlable. eye rolling smiley
[blogs.adobe.com]

[blogs.adobe.com]

I'll re-new my request to BV to enable HTML5 embedding, please.
before the Latin America Olé Tour 2016 starts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 12:38 by open-g.

Date: December 2, 2015 12:31

Aquamarine
DandelionPowderman

So, wait . . I want to see the videos (if they're good videos grinning smiley ), but I don;t want any unsafe stuff in my computer. confused smiley Is this just over-cautious on the part of the browsers?

I want the same and no, you are not over-cautious.
you have the right idea.

Date: December 3, 2015 21:47

Hope we get this opotion back before the Ole`Tour gets busy.
bump!

Date: December 3, 2015 22:29

open-g
Hope we get this opotion back before the Ole`Tour gets busy.
bump!

It won't be any safer with the embedded videos. When you push play and stream or download something you are also allowing unsafe scripts.

Stones videos on a Stones forum aren't really very risky to stream smiling smiley you can turn the shield back on after you have watched the video.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 3, 2015 22:48

swiss
Silver Dagger

Silver Dagger, I put together these screen shots before I "went away" in July. Hope it helps.

Incidentally, in bv's "IORR changes - suggestions please!" probably the most feature requested by iorrans is to fix whatever is causing the videos not to display.

- swiss

Thank you Swiss I missed this post............unsafe is always more enjoyable then safe

Date: December 3, 2015 23:03

Silver Dagger
GasLightStreet
Silver Dagger

FireFox!!!

Ha ha. I didn't know people still used gas light streets either? >grinning smiley<

New Orleans...

Date: December 3, 2015 23:05

open-g
latebloomer

There's a story and reason for the changes.

Google and Mozilla pull the plug on Adobe Flash: Tech giants disable the program on browsers following 'critical' security flaw

Leaked documents recently revealed Adobe Flash has a serious flaw
Vulnerability lets hackers take over a user's computer and install malware
Despite various patches and attempts at fixes, there are still security risks
Google and Mozilla have now pulled support for the plugin on browsers

By Victoria Woollaston for MailOnline

Published: 12:17 GMT, 14 July 2015 | Updated: 16:26 GMT, 14 July 2015
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Why some of you believe it's ok and no big thing to tamper with the security settings of your preferred browser is beyond me.

Abobe has been throwing patch after patch at their old flash player and are still at it ... but still not getting it right.
next year Flash won't be anymore - it becomes "Animate CC". same old crap, no wait, they will include HTML5 which btw is already availlable. eye rolling smiley
[blogs.adobe.com]

[blogs.adobe.com]

I'll re-new my request to BV to enable HTML5 embedding, please.
before the Latin America Olé Tour 2016 starts.

What? I've not seen anything about that. So what else is there?

Date: December 4, 2015 03:42

DandelionPowderman

It won't be any safer with the embedded videos. When you push play and stream or download something you are also allowing unsafe scripts.

Stones videos on a Stones forum aren't really very risky to stream smiling smiley you can turn the shield back on after you have watched the video.

Sorry but it has nothing to do with what kind of video you're watching or what forum you're on.
it's all about you when you're activly lowering the security settings of a modern browser, thus allowing cross-site-scripting and html injection.
please dig into the subject because you are giving poor advice by proclaiming to "just deactivate the shield."

[en.wikipedia.org]

XSS vulnerabilities have been reported and exploited since the 1990s. Prominent sites affected in the past include the social-networking sites Twitter,[5] Facebook,[6] MySpace, YouTube and Orkut.[7][8] In recent years, cross-site scripting flaws surpassed buffer overflows to become the most common publicly reported security vulnerability,[9] with some researchers in 2007 viewing as many as 68% of websites as likely open to XSS attacks.[10]

embedding videos for me means using html5, no flash at all.
it's easy to post (just copy the url and paste it here) and it can be viewd fullscreen without leaving the site.
technology is moving forward and bv asked for improvements on the sticky thread, so get with the program. win XP ain't coming back.
[/rant].

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2015 03:54

As I explained to someone on the ' what are you listening to' thread:

#1.Copy URL from youtube, click on 'insert URL' here (above), paste URL, and then put title in.

#2. And/or Copy URL from youtube and remove s.(but it shows up invisible unless protection is disabled).

I no longer disable the protection shield, so am getting used to seeing blank posts - not worth the risk to temporarily disable anything.
So if you really want to share a video with everyone, use option #1. This way the title/subject can be seen, and then if you're interested click on it and a new window to youtube will open.

Date: December 4, 2015 10:51

open-g
DandelionPowderman

Sorry but it has nothing to do with what kind of video you're watching or what forum you're on.
it's all about you when you're activly lowering the security settings of a modern browser, thus allowing cross-site-scripting and html injection.
please dig into the subject because you are giving poor advice by proclaiming to "just deactivate the shield."

[en.wikipedia.org]

XSS vulnerabilities have been reported and exploited since the 1990s. Prominent sites affected in the past include the social-networking sites Twitter,[5] Facebook,[6] MySpace, YouTube and Orkut.[7][8] In recent years, cross-site scripting flaws surpassed buffer overflows to become the most common publicly reported security vulnerability,[9] with some researchers in 2007 viewing as many as 68% of websites as likely open to XSS attacks.[10]

embedding videos for me means using html5, no flash at all.
it's easy to post (just copy the url and paste it here) and it can be viewd fullscreen without leaving the site.
technology is moving forward and bv asked for improvements on the sticky thread, so get with the program. win XP ain't coming back.
[/rant].

It's not a «poor advice». You are indeed streaming unsafe scripts while streaming the video ON THIS SITE.

People can decide by themselves whether they wanna unlock and lock the shield when doing so, though. While they are watching the video they are more open for possible attacks, that's true.

Date: December 5, 2015 00:02

These browsers aren't really that secure anyway,even with the shield on.

Neither is the Windows operating system itself with its back door opening,36 thousand viruses which can exploit it .... among other flaws.

The Google Chrome browser,by default,is a very privacy invasive browser. Comodo Dragon (which is based on Chrome) or the other Comodo browser based on FireFox (Ice Dragon maybe) are better bets for a little bit better security in a Windows web browser.

The TOR Browser is the most secure browser that I know of. It might be available for Windows. I am not sure.

I have four different operating systems on my hard drive. 1 for browsing unsafe content like flash-based videos from IORR so that in the unlikely event that system crashes from malware,it's no big deal. I can just wipe that 1 system off and reinstall it. All of my sensitive data are stored on other partitions of the hard drive ..... the partitions containing the other operating systems. It's not as complex as it may sound.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home