Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: YCAGWYW -- how passionately attached are you to the choir intro?
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 29, 2015 16:27

Nothing like laying there in bed, lights out and then this song begins. Goosebumps

It was great seeing/hearing all of the different choirs, during the last few mini-tours.

Being the Stones fan that I am. I also dig the versions that begin with Keith.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 29, 2015 16:31

The choir intro works brillantly with in the context of LIB. It is teasing with it's classical "beauty" and does not give the prototypical stones-fan what (s)he expects or wants - not right away.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 29, 2015 17:07

Since its there I always felt it was too long. Also, why a boys choir? Could've been any choir.

I've listened to song skipping the intro choir section, and I've come to believe the song doesn't need a choir at all. All it does is repeat the chorus section (thus ruining tension build leading up to the chorus section) By contrast, the tag ending on the Beatles 'Hey Jude' works because it appears at the end, adding to the tension or release there

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 29, 2015 17:14

nightskyman
Since its there I always felt it was too long. Also, why a boys choir? Could've been any choir.

Quite a few ladies in there too!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 29, 2015 19:27

It's nice, the choral intro. But I like the edit version better. Although I can see how on the whatever tours it was, recently, bringing a choir out, how that's different. It's interesting.

Maybe without it the studio version is pedestrian because we know of it with the intro but once the song kicks in it's irrelevant. It's a funky heavy tune regardless.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 30, 2015 07:09

I really, really enjoyed the choir part that introduced the funeral scene in the film The Big Chill.
As the camera panned the coffin (containing Kevin Costner/Alex), with the apropos lyrics, I fell down laughing.
Really incredible, brilliant choice by director Lawrence Kasdan, I thought.

Since the, I've liked it live, even more as anticipation, a transition, as NL notes above.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-30 07:14 by angee.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 07:14

I always preferred live versions of this one without the choir, but wife absolutely loves it..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 30, 2015 08:43

LP-version is the one I like...the single-version must be in that 3-CD-box....can't remember even notice there's no Choir on that one...I hear the Choir-part even when I whistle the song...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 30, 2015 09:00

Very innovative of the band to include the choir back in 68 or 69. Works better live with the choir than without.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 30, 2015 17:07

I prefer the single version but there's no doubt the choir went over like gangbusters in 2012, '13 and '15. It ends with the choir too, remember.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 30, 2015 17:26

I love it.

I'll never forget the first time I heard it on the radio in its complete and splendid glory. It permanently altered the way I listened to The Stones.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 1, 2015 02:03

sweet neo con
ash
Don't like the choir at all. Wish there was a mix available without it.Pretty much ruins a classic as far as I'm concerned.

there is an official version without the choir on Collector's Only (German release I think)

appreciated the chorale on the Zip Code tour (& 50th tour)...but in general i don't have strong feelings either way.

With no Choir at all? I know the other single versions left out the beginning part only.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 1, 2015 03:12

The Choir is a soaring herald of the end of the sixties. A beautiful juxtaposition of the hope and liberation of the sixties with the onslaught of the 70s. Sickly sweet, like flies clouding around the decaying corpse of the idealism of the 60s. The antithesis of All You Need is Love. Tie die is a rag to put your fix kit on. The voices build and build to sunshine so bright, you finally see through the roses the horrific smile of the dead. Old England decaying from the inside. The perfect bridge to Mick's beautiful disdain of flower power. Really, the 60s was all about love at someone else's expense. The social freeloaders honing in on their next fix. The choir is a brilliant defiant statement that propels the song to historical significance. Better than reading a book about the end of the sixties. They were stormtroopers of excess riding to the halls of nihilistic nirvana.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 1, 2015 04:00

Love the choir, always impressed when the RS mix in a choir, 'Salt of the Earth' one of my favorites, copied this about Salt of the Earth:

'Featuring on the song are the Los Angeles Watts Street Gospel Choir and a piano performance by Nicky Hopkins. These additions, and their prominence near the end of the song, are thought to have had an influence on their next album Let It Bleed's closing song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want".'

And of course, Crosseyed Heart 'Something For Nothing' with Harlem choir.

Loved YCAGWYW live, I appreciate the RS taking it on/ local singers, and the French horn I wasn't expecting live, either (Zipcode)

Brilliant.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 1, 2015 04:54

whitem8
The Choir is a soaring herald of the end of the sixties. A beautiful juxtaposition of the hope and liberation of the sixties with the onslaught of the 70s. Sickly sweet, like flies clouding around the decaying corpse of the idealism of the 60s. The antithesis of All You Need is Love. Tie die is a rag to put your fix kit on. The voices build and build to sunshine so bright, you finally see through the roses the horrific smile of the dead. Old England decaying from the inside. The perfect bridge to Mick's beautiful disdain of flower power. Really, the 60s was all about love at someone else's expense. The social freeloaders honing in on their next fix. The choir is a brilliant defiant statement that propels the song to historical significance. Better than reading a book about the end of the sixties. They were stormtroopers of excess riding to the halls of nihilistic nirvana.

I disagree about the '60s. But no matter. Good goddamn. There are some very good writers on this board.

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 04:56 by swiss.

Date: December 1, 2015 07:52

Yeah. completely disagree, but omg, how're ya doing, whitem8?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 1, 2015 13:38

Does anyone know whose idea was that? With no basis for saying so, I feel like it might be something unexpected, like Charlie saying "Why don't we add the choir back in?" and Mick jumping on it as a good idea--and maybe Keith or even Ronnie suggesting local choirs. I wonder...

Actually, a choir on stage was proposed long before they actually hired one in 2012 on this board so I really do believe that they read it and realized it for the anniversary tour.

We always think that everything is their original idea but they would be foolosh not to take such a great fansite into consideration. After all it's free counseling, isn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 13:39 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 1, 2015 13:56

I guess it's OK with the choir, just wondering why it was added (was it discussed, was it exclusively Jagger's idea?).

Also wish it was a briefer intro.

But I like how the choir kicks in at end and increases in speed along with the band (my favorite part of the song).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 1, 2015 14:12

I always thought the choir should be eliminated from the master tape. I canĀ“t stand the choir intro, the outro is ok with me.

I was raging with anger as I heard that a choir would be added to all live gigs in 2012. I pray that there will be no choir in South America. No choir, no Taylor, no Wyman - "StonesĀ“ heaven"!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 1, 2015 14:40

I first bought the single "Honky Tonk Women" / "You Can't Always Get What You Want", then the album when it became available some period after. I liked the original version of "You Can't Always Get What You Want". [ Latest addition: By that vague expression, "original version", I alluded to what GasLightStreet much more adequately indicated as "the edited version", and which was released first, that is "originally". Allegedly planned to be a next single A-side, until they happened to come over the guitar sound of "Honky Tonk Women", wasn't it.] Obtaining the album, I adored the choir intro of the album version then, I still do now. Then, as Naturalust presented it, the transition via Al Kooper to the accoustic guitar adds much to the effect. (And of course, I also loved the outro.)

As to the recent live versions, I loved the intros at first. Somehow I feel that the employment of the choirs now later on is used up. I may wish in the future that possibly new renditions of the song will omit the choirs.

As to a certain other poster, dreaming about having no Taylor as well, I for one like to stress how I among live versions especially loved some of those, which Mick Taylor contributed his share to.
Added after a delay: Well, all seems to indicate that the last stated wish of the said poster will be granted.

[One much later edit.]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 09:47 by Witness.

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: December 1, 2015 18:28

saltoftheearth
Does anyone know whose idea was that? With no basis for saying so, I feel like it might be something unexpected, like Charlie saying "Why don't we add the choir back in?" and Mick jumping on it as a good idea--and maybe Keith or even Ronnie suggesting local choirs. I wonder...

Actually, a choir on stage was proposed long before they actually hired one in 2012 on this board so I really do believe that they read it and realized it for the anniversary tour.

We always think that everything is their original idea but they would be foolosh not to take such a great fansite into consideration. After all it's free counseling, isn't it?

Sometimes, often late at night I've been silly enough to flatter myself and I even bragged abt it to somebody that I believe that is was me that put them on the idea on this board back in 2009:

"I really think they should hire the local town choir for the opening of the song at every place the're playing. It would be fun and it would create a lot of good publicity in the local press before the shows." [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 1, 2015 18:42

I think it's great - I actually welled up when the choir started in at the o2 show in 2012.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 1, 2015 18:55

Green Lady
I think I could live without the choir intro, but I do love the choir outro.

thumbs up

Date: December 1, 2015 23:41

angee

Hey there angee, I'm ok:-) I like to write, and try to be creative with my opinion. I hope you enjoyed at least that:-)

Date: December 1, 2015 23:51

swiss thanks so much! I love your cartoon, and am honored. Thanks!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 2, 2015 00:07

saltoftheearth

You Can't Always Get What You Want was something I just played on the acoustic guitar - one of those bedroom songs. It proved to be quite difficult to record because Charlie couldn't play the groove and so Jimmy Miller had to play the drums. I'd also had this idea of having a choir, probably a gospel choir, on the track, but there wasn't one around at that point. Jack Nitzsche, or somebody, said that we could get the London Bach Choir and we said, That will be a laugh.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 2, 2015 00:10

Great qoute from Al Kooper :-)

Jimmy Miller sat down at the drums and remained there playing on the take. Charlie was not happy but was graceful about it. Mick and Keith played acoustic guitars, I played piano, Bill was on bass and Brian lay on his stomach in the corner reading an article on botany throughout the proceedings. I then overdubbed the organ.
- Al Kooper

Date: December 2, 2015 07:19

whitem8
angee

Hey there angee, I'm ok:-) I like to write, and try to be creative with my opinion. I hope you enjoyed at least that:-)

Yes, I did enjoy the profuse creativity and the writing style, very, very much!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 2, 2015 07:31

angee

Yeah complete bullocks but written so damn well it makes me want to believe he knows what he's talking about! whitem8 strikes again, well done my friend. Now put the bong down have another listen and tell us the truth this time. smoking smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 2, 2015 07:49

mtaylor
You Can't Always Get What You Want was something I just played on the acoustic guitar - one of those bedroom songs. It proved to be quite difficult to record because Charlie couldn't play the groove and so Jimmy Miller had to play the drums. I'd also had this idea of having a choir, probably a gospel choir, on the track, but there wasn't one around at that point. Jack Nitzsche, or somebody, said that we could get the London Bach Choir and we said, That will be a laugh.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

mtaylor
Great qoute from Al Kooper :-)

Jimmy Miller sat down at the drums and remained there playing on the take. Charlie was not happy but was graceful about it. Mick and Keith played acoustic guitars, I played piano, Bill was on bass and Brian lay on his stomach in the corner reading an article on botany throughout the proceedings. I then overdubbed the organ.
- Al Kooper

Thanks, mtalyor - very cool background!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home