Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Mixed emotions
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 3, 2015 19:10

dirtywork is a terrible album, embarrassing to let people hear it and try to suggest its by the best rock band ever.

high points are harlem shuffle which is average.
sleep tonight which is good if not great
and one hit to the body which is slightly better than average.

the rest of the album is a haze of noise and nothing more.

steel wheels has some weak songs

mixed emotions
terrifying
hearts for sale
cant be seen
rock and a hard place

although none of the songs are terrible.

but they generally are better than anything off dirtywork and steel wheels is more versatile.

the good stuff on it are

blinded by love
hold on to your hat
almost hear you sigh
break the spell
continental drift

slipping away is quite good too

and sad sad sad is ok.

steel wheels is much better than dirtywork, although it has filler.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 3, 2015 19:46

matxil
DandelionPowderman
«But I don't listen to music like that»

That's interesting. We might say that DW contains lots of interesting musical stuff, but that the wholeness and the songs aren't really well-crafted pieces that stand on their own.

On Wandering Spirit, however, the wholeness is excellent. But the interesting musical stuff glimmer with its absence. The instrumentation is classic session men-sounding, making it a brilliant vehicle for Mick to shine.

I love WS, but it is indeed Mick and the songs that shine, not the band, imo.

For me the enthusiasm so many people feel for WS is a mystery. It's especially Mick's way of singing, so over the top, trying-too-hard, that grates me. Besides that, the guitars and the keyboards all sound wrong. I'm sure some of the songs are great, I actually like Sweet Thing (on which Mick sings fine) but even there the keyboard annoys me. And I really tried liking this album.

If you stick to the context of solo Jagger then WS is mind numbingly awesome.

Date: December 3, 2015 19:48

buttons67
dirtywork is a terrible album, embarrassing to let people hear it and try to suggest its by the best rock band ever.

Great summary! Spot on and to the point.

And correct.

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: December 3, 2015 22:44

Almost hear you sigh, and slipping away are absolute classics.
There is no denying that. Two timeless songs, not so bad.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 3, 2015 23:40

sonyzzz

I completely forgot about Slipping Away.
That song alone sort of saves SW.
Almost Hear You Sigh isn't bad either.
I don't really understand what people see in Break The Spell or Hold On To Your Hat, though.

Date: December 3, 2015 23:51

matxil
sonyzzz

I don't really understand what people see in Break The Spell or Hold On To Your Hat, though.

BTS is a nice blues and HOTYH is a pedestrian rocker, imo. Totally different songs.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 4, 2015 01:30

BTS is indeed a nice blues.

Date: December 4, 2015 11:48

DandelionPowderman
matxil
sonyzzz

BTS is a nice blues and HOTYH is a pedestrian rocker, imo. Totally different songs.

I'd say BTS is a pedestrian "blues", on the edge of pop. It would be a nice addition to - say - Rumours from Fleetwood Mac, but from the Stones, I prefer something with a rougher edge.
Hold On To Your Hat sounds like something from a promising grunge band. The only thing I like about it is the solo.

Date: December 4, 2015 12:06

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
sonyzzz

I'd say BTS is a pedestrian "blues", on the edge of pop. It would be a nice addition to - say - Rumours from Fleetwood Mac, but from the Stones, I prefer something with a rougher edge.
Hold On To Your Hat sounds like something from a promising grunge band. The only thing I like about it is the solo.

As it challenges the blues format, and there are lots of interesting fhings going on in it (Ronnie's bass, Mick's wonderful harp and those charming guitars) I'm having trouble with seeing why Break The Spell is pedestrian. But that's me smoking smiley

Date: December 4, 2015 12:11

in addition, mick is able to sing it without quite reaching his mocking/humorous tone which he so often does in such things.

Date: December 4, 2015 12:12

Turner68
in addition, mick is able to sing it without quite reaching his mocking/humorous tone which he so often does in such things.

He chose his dramatic/creepy tone, though winking smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 4, 2015 12:13

Break The Spell & Hold On To Your Hat = very entertaining enjoyable songs, pure adrenaline.

Almost Hear You Sigh & Slipping Away = awful boring music for rest home inhabitants sitting in their steel wheel-chairs.

Date: December 4, 2015 12:14

HMS
Break The Spell & Hold On To Your Hat = very entertaining enjoyable songs, pure adrenaline.

Almost Hear You Sigh & Slipping Away = awful boring music for rest home inhabitants sitting in their steel wheel-chairs.

Why do you think they named the album Steel Wheels? winking smiley

Date: December 4, 2015 13:03

Turner68

No, but instead he's trying to make it sound "mysterious" and "suggestive".

Date: December 4, 2015 13:05

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
sonyzzz

As it challenges the blues format, and there are lots of interesting fhings going on in it (Ronnie's bass, Mick's wonderful harp and those charming guitars) I'm having trouble with seeing why Break The Spell is pedestrian. But that's me smoking smiley

There are at least two songs on Rumours of Fleetwood Mac that challenge the blues format and with a lot of things going on. It's not bad, it's just not what I want the Stones to be doing.
Ventilator Blues also challenges the blues format, but it's about a 1000 times more convincing.

Date: December 4, 2015 13:08

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
sonyzzz

There are at least two songs on Rumours of Fleetwood Mac that challenge the blues format and with a lot of things going on. It's not bad, it's just not what I want the Stones to be doing.
Ventilator Blues also challenges the blues format, but it's about a 1000 times more convincing.

Ventilator Blues is a blues in name only.

I can't see the comparison to Rumours tracks here. Break The Spell is built up around a descending blues line that usually comes at the end of a 12 bar blues. It's quite an intelligent move, imo – original, at least. They create a sound and an atmosphere on BTS that only the Stones can do. The lazy adult pop of Rumours (although brilliantly done) is too different, imo.

Date: December 4, 2015 13:17

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
sonyzzz

Ventilator Blues is a blues in name only.

I can't see the comparison to Rumours tracks here. Break The Spell is built up around a descending blues line that usually comes at the end of a 12 bar blues. It's quite an intelligent move, imo – original, at least. They create a sound and an atmosphere on BTS that only the Stones can do. The lazy adult pop of Rumours (although brilliantly done) is too different, imo.

Well, I guess this shows how people can interpret differently the naming of music styles. When I hear Break The Spell, I don't think of it as blues.
With Ventilator Blues, I do, and not because of the name but the rhythm, the groove, the melancholy feel of it.
I like your description of "lazy adult pop", and it certainly applies to Rumours, but just as much to BTS. And Rumours has songs like "The Chain" or "Gold Dust Woman" that have clearly blues roots.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 4, 2015 17:46

DandelionPowderman

+1

(I might add, we don't we consider this for the iorr band project smiling bouncing smiley )?

Date: December 4, 2015 17:59

Wild Slivovitz
DandelionPowderman

+1

(I might add, we don't we consider this for the iorr band project smiling bouncing smiley )?

Why not? thumbs up

Date: December 4, 2015 19:09

HMS

I see the (lack of) Cultural Diversity president has spoken through the hole in his drawers again.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: December 8, 2015 14:13

I like the studio Version of ME.And I simlpy love the live Versions from Atlantic City 89 and Tokyo 90. The Stones at their very best, especially the outro with the funky horn section.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 8, 2015 18:12

Mediocre pop song, has not stood the test of time.

Date: December 8, 2015 18:26

Dan

I dont think so... it is as sparkling as it was on release day. Very entertaining indeed. A vital sign of life back in 1989 and today it can be considered a Stones-classic, standing alongside with, say, Rocks Off & All Down The Line.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 8, 2015 18:49

Mixed Emotions should be played live, such a great song from Steel Wheels and I just had a listen to the fantastic boot Live in Wembley 1990.

Mixed emotions was as well played on one of the fantastic Parc des Princes Paris concerts in 1990 which I attended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 19:45 by runaway.

Date: December 11, 2015 05:39

HMS
Dan

I dont think so... it is as sparkling as it was on release day. Very entertaining indeed. A vital sign of life back in 1989 and today it can be considered a Stones-classic, standing alongside with, say, Rocks Off & All Down The Line.

Keep in mind HMS has no idea what Rocks Off and All Down The Line are or what album they're from yet alone the nerve to say Mixed Emotions is anywhere near as good or even a classic.

Date: December 11, 2015 12:08

Rocks Off and All Down The Line (two of the better tracks on EOMS) are just like Mixed Emotions enjoyable guitar-driven Stones-tracks. Songwise ME is not worse than Rocks Off or All Down The Line, imo. It would perfectly fit in EOMS (Just like Sad Sad Sad).

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 11, 2015 16:49

HMS
Rocks Off and All Down The Line (two of the better tracks on EOMS) are just like Mixed Emotions enjoyable guitar-driven Stones-tracks. Songwise ME is not worse than Rocks Off or All Down The Line, imo. It would perfectly fit in EOMS (Just like Sad Sad Sad).
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: December 11, 2015 17:30

HMS

Mixed Emotions and Sad Sad Sad would not even poorly fit EOMS yet alone perfectly fit.

I'm amazed that you know what album Rocks Off and All Down The Line are on.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 15, 2015 17:31

HMS

wait...what????

IORR............but I like it!

Date: December 15, 2015 18:13

HMS

i almost choked on my morning Rice Krispies when I read this.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home