Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 19
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 4, 2015 21:39

To know the studio-version of Satisfaction and hear what they have done to this great song live until the 90s is most unsatisfying, hardly bearable imo.

Live versions started to be enjoyable as they started to use the song as opening song. After they finally found a satisfying way to handle Satisfaction it worked also as closing song.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: December 4, 2015 21:47

HMS
To know the studio-version of Satisfaction and hear what they have done to this great song live until the 90s is most unsatisfying, hardly bearable imo.

Live versions started to be enjoyable as they started to use the song as opening song. After they finally found a satisfying way to handle Satisfaction it worked also as closing song.

True

It was used as the opening song at Knebworth in 1976, which is the only great version prior to the 90s:

video: [www.youtube.com]

But it was the bluesy, slowed down version which was introduced in 1997 which really established Satisfaction as great live number it has become since.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-04 21:51 by EasterMan.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 4, 2015 22:11

HMS are you familiar with the Otis Redding version of satisfaction? The version they play in 69 is heavily influenced by this, which is one reason it is so great.

Date: December 4, 2015 22:50

LIVE ALBUM TALK: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out: Best by test.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2015 05:56

GYYYO overdubs edited list:

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash: vocal overdubbed.

2. Carol: Mick Taylor's guitar piece is possibly overdubbed (by KEITH!).

3. Stray Cat Blues: vocals overdubbed.

4. Love In Vain: no overdubs.

5. Midnight Rambler: no overdubs.

6. Sympathy For The Devil: no overdubs supposedly

7. Live With Me: vocals overdubbed.

8. Little Queenie: vocals overdubbed.

9. Honky Tonk Women: vocals overdubbed.

10. Street Fighting Man: vocals overdubbed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-06 05:56 by GasLightStreet.

Date: December 6, 2015 10:09

Little Queenie also has a guitar overdub, like Carol.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 6, 2015 11:42

GasLightStreet

Ya Ya's is not about the vocal!
Its simply The Stones at their brilliant best as a band!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 7, 2015 11:53

GasLightStreet

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash: vocal overdubbed, Taylor's guitar edited out in places.

2. Carol: Parts of Mick Taylor's guitar overdubbed by Keith.

3. Stray Cat Blues: vocals overdubbed, parts of Keith's rhythm guitar overdubbed.

5. Midnight Rambler: no overdubs, Taylor's guitar edited out during the middle part.

6. Sympathy For The Devil: no overdubs, track edited down

7. Live With Me: vocals overdubbed, possibly rythm guitars overdubbed.

8. Little Queenie: vocals overdubbed, Taylor's guitar erased and overdubbed by Keith.

9. Honky Tonk Women: vocals overdubbed, added rythm guitar during the chorus and solo.

10. Street Fighting Man: vocals overdubbed

Mathijs

Date: December 7, 2015 14:50

Mathijs

5. Midnight Rambler: no overdubs, Taylor's guitar edited out during the middle part.

Mathijs

Between 5:39 and 6:02 Taylor is tuning up the b string. You can hear it with the headphones. At 6:16 he's playing along again. That's 14 bloody seconds of editing. Or the time he needs to lit a cig.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-07 20:17 by DancelittleSister.

Date: December 7, 2015 15:29

HMS
I think the hammer of Thor came down ON YOU some time agowinking smiley - no offense, I´m just kidding.

But Satisfaction in 69 was a train wreck and continued to be a train wreck until they finally got it nailed in the 90s. The studio version of Under My Thumb can never be surpassed anyway.

Their best versions of Gimme Shelter are also from the 90s (beside the studio version which very much like Under My Thumb cannot be surpassed). Listen to GS on No Security and the B-side of one of the Stripped-singles, who could ever find better versions?

The brilliance of the 1969-1971 Stones live is lost on you. You want songs to sound just like the studio version well then the 1989-1999 Stones are for you. Satisfaction has been a dull cover of the studio version ever since 1981. In 1969 etc they played it as its own song.

You want the Stones live to sound inventive and not bored than don't listen to the Stones from 1969 through 1982.

Although I prefer Gimme Shelter from NO SECURITY the way they played it in 1969 as far as what I've heard was the soundtrack of doom and it was brilliant.

Date: December 7, 2015 15:33

Mathijs
GasLightStreet

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash: vocal overdubbed, Taylor's guitar edited out in places.

2. Carol: Parts of Mick Taylor's guitar overdubbed by Keith.

3. Stray Cat Blues: vocals overdubbed, parts of Keith's rhythm guitar overdubbed.

6. Sympathy For The Devil: no overdubs, track edited down

7. Live With Me: vocals overdubbed, possibly rythm guitars overdubbed.

8. Little Queenie: vocals overdubbed, Taylor's guitar erased and overdubbed by Keith.

9. Honky Tonk Women: vocals overdubbed, added rythm guitar during the chorus and solo.

10. Street Fighting Man: vocals overdubbed

Mathijs

I wasn't sure about the guitar overdubs based on what I'd seen but I do recall Carol having new guitar by Keith but Little Queenie... hilarious.

I can't hear a 3rd guitar on HTW anywhere.

Remembering Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 20, 2016 18:08

On this day, Sept. 20, 1970, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! began a two week run at #1 on the UK charts. Hats off to this great live album that made me a fan for life way back in 1970. I've also really liked subsequent live albums from the Stones, but felt they never quite lived up to the standard set by Ya Ya's. Of course it was years before I knew about the overdubs, I thought they really sounded that perfect live, but what the hell - it's still great.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: Remembering Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!
Date: September 20, 2016 18:16

Their greatest live album, regardless of the overdubs!

Date: September 20, 2016 18:20

GasLightStreet
Their greatest live album, regardless of the overdubs![/quote

Indeed, if you compare it with boots from the 1969 tour, it's clear that the overdubs merely polish up the vocals; the album still perfectly captures the spirit of what The Rolling Stones in 1969 were all about.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 20, 2016 19:34

TOP FIVE GREATEST LIVE ROCK ALBUM OF ALL TIME. (Right after Band of Gypsys).

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 20, 2016 19:51

It's an overrated album in my book, HTW, SFT and LWM on this album are among the worst officially released versions of those songs.

Love You Live has more aggression and energy, compare the version of HTW on both albums and it's night and day.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 20, 2016 20:26

HonkeyTonkFlash
On this day, Sept. 20, 1970, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! began a two week run at #1 on the UK charts. Hats off to this great live album that made me a fan for life way back in 1970. I've also really liked subsequent live albums from the Stones, but felt they never quite lived up to the standard set by Ya Ya's. Of course it was years before I knew about the overdubs, I thought they really sounded that perfect live, but what the hell - it's still great.

thumbs up
I have exactly the same story................at the age 16

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 20, 2016 21:16

The overdubs are aweful. The album could have been so much better. But who cares, not many have any interest in listening to old school rock'n roll anyway.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 20, 2016 22:51

Best live album of all time

Date: September 20, 2016 23:20

TheBlockbuster
It's an overrated album in my book, HTW, SFT and LWM on this album are among the worst officially released versions of those songs.

Love You Live has more aggression and energy, compare the version of HTW on both albums and it's night and day.

Everyone has their own taste. For my ears, all the songs you mention are absolutely stellar. Sympathy For The Devil is my absolute favorite ever version on Ya Ya's. Both Richards and Taylor's guitar solos at the end are transcendent! I could never totally fall in love with any subsequent versions of Sympathy after having grown up on Ya Ya's.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 20, 2016 23:39

HonkeyTonkFlash
TheBlockbuster

Everyone has their own taste. For my ears, all the songs you mention are absolutely stellar. Sympathy For The Devil is my absolute favorite ever version on Ya Ya's. Both Richards and Taylor's guitar solos at the end are transcendent! I could never totally fall in love with any subsequent versions of Sympathy after having grown up on Ya Ya's.

Maybe we should refresh their memories.......................

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 21, 2016 00:13

best live album!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 21, 2016 00:17

Local kind guy Chris Larkins bought it back to town the day it was released down here ..
Chris played it once then lent it to me .... It spun on the turn-table all night looooooooong ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 21, 2016 03:57

Pure magic, something that is literally a part of many people. Although new converts must be fewer, I am sure many feel the power.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2016 06:57

S.T.P
The overdubs are aweful...

You listened back then and knew there were overdubs? ... I'm thinking you only knew because you read about it on here.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 21, 2016 10:14

For me GYYYO and "Live in Japan" by Deep Purple constantly revolve for the number one position. Hard to chose, they both have top qualities. Plus there are a few more close one's. Life is full of decisions, as (I remember) that beer poster says.

Date: September 21, 2016 10:17

TheBlockbuster

What's wrong with Live With Me? I think it's excellent.

Date: September 21, 2016 10:40

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

What's wrong with Live With Me? I think it's excellent.

Live With Me is pure magic on Ya Ya's. Just listen to the way Wyman's bass dances around Keith's guitar...classic.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 21, 2016 10:43

We have many recordings of concerts that show us how great the band is playing without
any overdubs. We can enjoy those and analyse them to death to hear who is missing a note
or beat.
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! is an album we have to rock out to. Who cares if there are any
overdubs? The result is a very great album with revolutionary sound quality and some
of the best songs ever written, totally fresh and only performed a couple of times at that
moment.
After all these years (I discovered it around 1981, I guess) I can still play it with
the same enthusiasm as I did after the fifth time I heard it. (I had to get used to it
at first, because all I had at the time were the albums Emotional Rescue and High
Tide and Green Gras).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: September 21, 2016 10:52

The guitar overdubs on Ya-Yas were most likely done to simplify and open up the soundscape a bit. On Carol, for instance, we hear Taylor starting a new run just when Mick is about to start singing the verses. That's where his guitar is cutt off. Instead, Keith added a simple boogie rhythm guitar, probably to get the vocals up front again.

I have heard some of the original vocals before Mick overdubbed them on some songs. Some are great, some have screeching feedback and some are poor.

Artists make albums, and that includes perfecting them.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home