Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 19
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Date: November 27, 2015 16:18

LeonidP
Silver Dagger
Sure he was great but I thought the Stones played too fast on that tour. Prefer the tempo in 69.

Agree completely! Carol on YaYa's is far better than the off the 1st album. And no one loves Beggar's version of Stray Cat Blues more than me ... but amazingly I love the YaYa's version almost as much. Beautiful guitars throughout, and I especially love the 'tempo'!

But the question was whether Keith played better than ever on Ya Yas or not...

He can play better even though they arranged the songs differently (faster) smiling smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 27, 2015 16:18

The guitar work from Richards and Taylor on the 1969 tour can never be matched on any Stones tour...period...done...seriously no argument.

Date: November 27, 2015 16:25

Eleanor Rigby
The guitar work from Richards on the 1969 tour can never be matched on any Stones tour...period...done...seriously no argument.

Really?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 27, 2015 16:32

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
The guitar work from Richards on the 1969 tour can never be matched on any Stones tour...period...done...seriously no argument.

Really?

[www.youtube.com]

It took me a while to work out what song that was!

Seriously the Richards/taylor connection was perfect on the 69 tour. ..because keith was worried taylor couldnt play the gaps so keith had to stand up early on tour.
By mid tour taylor was on and keith was happy!

Come new york and altamont it was heaven!!

Date: November 27, 2015 16:38

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

Really?

[www.youtube.com]

Seriously the Richards/taylor connection was perfect on the 69 tour. ..because keith was worried taylor couldnt play the gaps so keith had to stand up early on tour.

Sure. They played fantastically on the 1969 tour, when they still had the balance that (imo) created the tension I love in the Stones's sound. After that keith became a bit lazy and more relied on Taylor.

But isolated, Keith developed a lot during the 70s as a guitar player, and had a bigger reportoir and a more varied phrasing by 1982.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: November 27, 2015 16:38

I heard there are overdubs.

Discuss!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 27, 2015 16:40

Of course Keith has had his great moments during every tour they ever did, sometimes
playing amazing solos and many times playing groving riffs (let's not forget his funky
style during the 1975 tour). I can't compare all these great moments, but here we are
discussing one of the first documents that really show us his abilities in all aspects
of the game.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: November 27, 2015 16:51

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

Really?

[www.youtube.com]

Sure. They played fantastically on the 1969 tour, when they still had the balance that (imo) created the tension I love in the Stones's sound. After that keith became a bit lazy and more relied on Taylor.

But isolated, Keith developed a lot during the 70s as a guitar player, and had a bigger reportoir and a more varied phrasing by 1982.

Maybe so..but im talking about a guitar attack by keith richards and mick taylor!!!
Wowowow!!!
How good...2 great players - each different - providing some of the great music ever (midnight rambler / SFTD)....AHHHH..oh..and they are playing in the same band!!!!

Date: November 27, 2015 16:53

Jumping Jack Flash: 8/10
Carol: 9/10
Stray Cat Blues: 10/10
Love In Vain: 7/10
Midnight Rambler: 10/10
Sympathy For The Devil: 10/10
Live With Me: 10/10
Little Queenie: 10/10
Honky Tonk Women: 6/10
Street Fighting Man: 7/10

Prodigal Son: 7/10
You Gotta Move: 7/10
Under My Thumb: 10/10
I'm Free: 7/10
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: 7/10

Date: November 27, 2015 16:53

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

Really?

[www.youtube.com]

Maybe so..but im talking about a guitar attack by keith richards and mick taylor!!!
Wowowow!!!
How good...2 great players - each different - providing some of the great music ever (midnight rambler / SFTD)....AHHHH..oh..and they are playing in the same band!!!!

thumbs up

Date: November 27, 2015 16:57

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

Really?

[www.youtube.com]

Wowowow!!!

thumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 17:06

Stay Cat Blues ranks as my favorite Stones live track ever, from THIS album. The tempo, timing, build and sheer menace of it. Splendidly stupendously salacious. The grinding of the riff in the final minute or so.... Good grief. The snarl and the snap of Jagger... Nothing comes close. This album should get 11/10 BECAUSE of this song alone.

Add in Sympathy and its twin solo attacks, a driving JJF as the opening song, the duelling Keith and Taylor axes in Carol and Little Queenie, hell even the bloody spoken introductions by, who, Sam Cutler?, even the words, THEY just set you up for what you rightly anticipate, and you just KNOW, AS THE BEST LIVE rock and roll RECORD YOU'LL EVER HEAR.

PERFECTION.

Rod

Date: November 27, 2015 17:15

bitusa2012
Stay Cat Blues ranks as my favorite Stones live track ever, from THIS album. The tempo, timing, build and sheer menace of it. Splendidly stupendously salacious. The grinding of the riff in the final minute or so.... Good grief. The snarl and the snap of Jagger... Nothing comes close. This album should get 11/10 BECAUSE of this song alone.

Add in Sympathy and its twin solo attacks, a driving JJF as the opening song, the duelling Keith and Taylor axes in Carol and Little Queenie, hell even the bloody spoken introductions by, who, Sam Cutler?, even the words, THEY just set you up for what you rightly anticipate, and you just KNOW, AS THE BEST LIVE rock and roll RECORD YOU'LL EVER HEAR.

PERFECTION.

It is top notch indeed thumbs up

Out of curiousity, why do you find the Roundhouse version poorer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 17:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 27, 2015 17:37

bitusa2012

PERFECTION.

The Altamont version is as good and ridiculously scary!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 17:38 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:25

I started listening to this album in the mid 70's when I was about 12 and before I'd ever been to a real LIVE rock concert.
Along with Band of Gypsies, this was the closest thing to being at one. From start to finish, the overall atmosphere of the audience, etc. my young imagination put me right there.

Standout tracks for me: all of them.
Perhaps the best live album ever by any band? Probably.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:32

DandelionPowderman

Love In Vain - Only 7 Dandy???? eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

I'm really shocked.

And Honky Tonk Woman only 6. I think that is such a sleezy, low down dirty version of that song.

I agree with your ratings for Prodigal, You Gotta Move, I'm Free and Satisfaction though. That's why they were kept off the album.

Date: November 27, 2015 19:36

DandelionPowderman

7/10 for satisfaction is wrong..that was the highlight on tour

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:36

I will never forget being 12 years old and my brother put on this album and hearing Sam Cutler say " The Greatest Rock and Roll band in the world the Rolling Stones". Then hearing the opening riff to Jumping Jack Flash. Musically my life was never the same!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:44

While they're all standout tracks, I should qualify that by saying I'm probably in the minority in thinking the Chuck Berry covers aren't the greatest.
A bit slow and sludgy, and although Keith's riffs are essential, hard to top the Chuck originals imo.
With that said, they're party of the overall vibe and what makes the album great, therefore they are standouts.

Date: November 27, 2015 19:48

Personally the songs picked are 9-10/10...
Probably the only "weak" song is honky tonk...which much better in the gimme shelter movie.
I also think JJF and Street FM could have better selections. ..but im being fussy!
Great rock album...never to be surpassed.

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: November 27, 2015 20:07

great album! One of the first albums I bought of the band early 90's when I became a fan. I already had a few on tape but this was one of the first cd's I purchased. I made guitars out of wood and painted them in the colours of Keith and Mick's guitars, and played for hours along with this album pretending I was Keith or Mick T. Music on full blast out of my bedroom until my parents started to shout to shut the noise down. Great memories, and a superb album, one of the best live albums I have ever heard IMO....

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 27, 2015 21:03

The opening of this live album gets me every frickin time - love it !!
Love Micks bantering throughout
for me straycat blues kicks serious @$$ oh heck the whole album does
Best live album of all-time....

Date: November 27, 2015 21:10

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Love In Vain - Only 7 Dandy???? eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

I'm really shocked.

And Honky Tonk Woman only 6. I think that is such a sleezy, low down dirty version of that song.

I agree with your ratings for Prodigal, You Gotta Move, I'm Free and Satisfaction though. That's why they were kept off the album.

I think they have many better versions of LIV than this one. The longing feeling and the fragility of the studio version is sorely missed.

That said, 7/10 is very good.

HTW is dragging a bit, imo. And it's too "happy"? I like the LYL version better. That one is decadent and wild.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 21:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2015 21:33

Still recall the impression this album made when I heard it back in 1982 as a teenegar boy. GOT LIVE IF WANT IT! was my first Stones live record, and I am not sure if STILL LIFE was already released or not. Anyway, YA-YA'S! sounded simply magnificient, so dark and straight to the point, incredibly professional, so damn focused, so tight, so cool and blues, like some hidden rage was established as music. There was something so powerful, never heard the Stones or any other other band sounding like that... like a totally new world, a new chapter in rock and roll, opened to me. By the terms of 1982, it sounded incredibly relevant, like a flash of some internal rock music heaven, the guys talking in a language anyone understanding something of the rock music would understand. I mean, I loved the sheer energy and attitude of GOT LIVE! and STILL LIFE was a funny, sloppy recording, old legends playing with experience and arrogance of 'elder statemens' or rock', but YA-YA'S! was something different: a serious business; just a statement of the music itself, the guys seemigly in the height of their powers, with no any excuse. (I get to know LOVE YOU LIVE afterwards, but it was huge disappointment after YA-YA'S! - like some sloppy, lazy, degenerated version of the band of YA-Ya'S).

Within my half year or in deep studies of the Rolling Stones music by then I knew all the songs already, "Flash", "Honky Tonk" and BEGGARS BANQUET and LET IT BLEED very familiar to me. But it was this interpretation of that stuff which totally made me convinced of the strenght of that 1968/69 material. Especially the version of "Jumping Jack Flash" made me realize why this particular riff might be the strongest one ever made. I deeply liked the original studio version, but it was however this version which made me appreciate the deep core genious of the song, one of the strongest ever in a rock and roll song. Even though I had STICKY FINGERS and EXILE by then, it was through this record I came to familar with Mick Taylor, and that he had a huge say why the band started to call themselves 'the greatest rock and roll band in the world' with some real justification, even though as the world's biggest Keith Richards fan at the time, it was somehow painful for me to realize that the most noteworthy guitar contributions in that record did not come from him (it was later when I really started to apperiacate Keith's idiosyncratic strenghts as a guitarist by terms ot its own, and they not meeting the standards of 'normal' criteria to evaluate guitar playing). Taylor sounded almost too good ("Love In vain", "Stray Cat Blues"...) for the Stones as I saw the band at the time...

Okay, that was some personal history. That was then and now is now. I must admit that since getting familiar with bootleg material from that era and all that, YA-YA'S! didn't sound so unique masterpiece any longer. Today, when we are almost loaded with official live material from those days, the significance of the album is not really so huge, and I quite rarely listen to it any longer. Like is with any good old concept live albums - you know, when live albums really were musical statements and not just documents of shows. But, of course, still today I would rank it easily their best live album ever (I really don't count these bootleg series, etc. stuff as serious live albums - the old live album concept is dead).

Outside my own pespective, the historical significance of GET YER YA-YA'S! cannot be underestimated. It introduced their new sound to millions of people all around the world who couldn't have a chance to see them actually live. It gave them tremendous credibility as a live band. In many sense it is as important album as any of the Big Four establishing their strongest, and lasting legacy. We should actually speak of Big Five, including it. Among other things, STICKY FINGERS didn't sound so surprisingly different in compared to LET IT BLEED, since YA-YA'S has introduced the new, hard rocking sound of the band to the world. YA-YA'S! marks an important phase and landmark in the development of the band in the height of their powers, during their most creative period.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 21:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: November 27, 2015 22:00

I don't really get what¨s so great about the GYYO version of SFTD. I don't get it. Boring.

I very much prefer the LYL-version The RnR-circus version and the one from Hyde Park in 69.

Little Queenie 10/10 ???????

But great versions of Stray Cat Blues and Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 27, 2015 22:01

best live album ever!

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 27, 2015 22:26

It's a very overrated album, which I rarely listen to. However I still think it's a decent document of the time and it has the best album cover of any Stones record.

Carol: 5/10
Stray Cat Blues: 7/10
Love In Vain: 5/10
Midnight Rambler: 7/10
Sympathy For The Devil: 6/10
Live With Me: 8/10
Little Queenie: 6/10
Honky Tonk Women: 5/10
Street Fighting Man: 5/10

You Gotta Move: 6/10
Under My Thumb: 4/10
I'm Free: 6/10
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: 4/10

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 22:27 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 27, 2015 23:21

Tops
Little Queenie 10/10 ???????

Easily!

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: November 27, 2015 23:29

This album took the band to another level and finally put The Beatles in their place.
Street Fighting Man the best of the lot.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 28, 2015 00:02

Moonshine
This album took the band to another level and finally put The Beatles in their place.
Street Fighting Man the best of the lot.

Excellent point - the Beatles had and have no response to YaYas

I agree with you about SFM

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home