Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 15, 2018 20:06

Made an observation, but I was wrong. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-15 20:29 by His Majesty.

Date: February 15, 2018 21:43

His Majesty
Made an observation, but I was wrong. grinning smiley

Which observation? smiling smiley

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: February 16, 2018 04:07

Lol..Almost 50 years later I still look at the pictures on the back...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 16, 2018 11:16

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
His Majesty
Mathijs

They did do some work to get it so down and dirty -Keith overdubbed his guitar on the choruses (Oh yeah!) and the solo. Listen with headphones and you can hear the change of sound and he changes to open D.

Mathijs

Not hearing open D in use.

Same.
Not hearing it either.

More in this thread.

And listen to the change in sound (especially how the chords ring) round the 0:12-mark.. I'd say open E.

[www.youtube.com]

Correct. The sound changes drastically at the Oh yeah mark, 1:12 into the song. Open D or Open E are the same to me. Also, Richards intro guitar is slightly out of tune, which remains throughout the track, except for the chordal work in the chorus and at the solo, the guitar then suddenly is in tune.

By the way: what a fantastic track it is, with a marvelous sounding and playing Watts.

Mathijs

Date: February 16, 2018 11:20

Concerning another overdub I think there is: on Love in Vain, after the Taylor solo it seems that Richards is going out of tune. There is a second rhythm guitar in the middle of the stereo spectrum, at around 3:30 to 3:40. Its really low in volume, but it is there.

Mathijs

Date: February 16, 2018 14:16

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
His Majesty
Mathijs

They did do some work to get it so down and dirty -Keith overdubbed his guitar on the choruses (Oh yeah!) and the solo. Listen with headphones and you can hear the change of sound and he changes to open D.

Mathijs

Same.
Not hearing it either.

More in this thread.

And listen to the change in sound (especially how the chords ring) round the 0:12-mark.. I'd say open E.

[www.youtube.com]

IMO you guys are getting weighed down by too much technical talk. Listen to the actual playing - that is not how Keith R played in Open Tuning in those years.
And I hear the swell in sound going INTO the chorus, but that is easily explained; and duplicated. Listen to it coming out of the chorus. That is the same guitar going back into the verse. Even on Dandy's quoted Youtube example. Plenty there at 0:41

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 15:01 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 16, 2018 15:59

Mathijs
Concerning another overdub I think there is: on Love in Vain, after the Taylor solo it seems that Richards is going out of tune. There is a second rhythm guitar in the middle of the stereo spectrum, at around 3:30 to 3:40. Its really low in volume, but it is there.

Mathijs

Jesus! You are a freak.

Date: February 16, 2018 16:16

I wouldn't bee surprised if the list continues, 007 . thumbs up

Date: February 16, 2018 21:26

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

Same.
Not hearing it either.

More in this thread.

[www.youtube.com]

IMO you guys are getting weighed down by too much technical talk. Listen to the actual playing - that is not how Keith R played in Open Tuning in those years.
And I hear the swell in sound going INTO the chorus, but that is easily explained; and duplicated. Listen to it coming out of the chorus. That is the same guitar going back into the verse. Even on Dandy's quoted Youtube example. Plenty there at 0:41

Point is that playing in open E generates the same power chords as in standard tuning. So either it is an overdub in open E or standard tuning or Keith edited the sound in the studio a bit. Difficult to figure out everything for sure to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 21:27 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 17, 2018 12:22

TheflyingDutchman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

Same.
Not hearing it either.

More in this thread.

[www.youtube.com]

Point is that playing in open E generates the same power chords as in standard tuning. So either it is an overdub in open E or standard tuning or Keith edited the sound in the studio a bit. Difficult to figure out everything for sure to me.

I hear what you're saying. But isn't it kind of non-sensical for Keith to do it this way? First off, I don't agree that there was an O/d at all; but let's say there was. When Keith played in Open D/E in those years, he did not use it for power chords on electric guitar. And he is also producing a LIVE album. Now if he feels that some parts need touching up, or a boost - would he not try to make it sound like one performance from the stage? Why on earth would he decide to come in a different tuning?
I think we can assume that thoes verses are in standard tuning.

Date: February 17, 2018 14:15

He used it for power chords on electric guitar on that very song in the studio.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 17, 2018 15:42

DandelionPowderman

it does seems strange though?
anyway...will we ever know??

Date: February 17, 2018 18:33

DandelionPowderman

And that's exactly what I think he did: overdub the same part and style as on the studio version.

Mathijs

Date: February 17, 2018 18:34

Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs

Mathijs

Jesus! You are a freak.

More a matter of a new set of very expensive headphones, and being bored while traveling the world in airplanes every week....

Mathijs

Date: February 17, 2018 19:41

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

And that's exactly what I think he did: overdub the same part and style as on the studio version.

Mathijs

But, played rather differently.

Date: February 17, 2018 19:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-17 19:51 by His Majesty.

Date: February 17, 2018 19:52

Eleanor Rigby

Not really.

Yes, just by working out what he plays.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 17, 2018 22:05

Greatest live album

Date: February 17, 2018 22:13

His Majesty
Eleanor Rigby

Not really.

Yes, just by working out what he plays.

Is there a difference between Keith's rhythm guitar during Taylor's first solo and
Taylor's second. tuning wise..Anyone ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-17 22:25 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: February 17, 2018 22:54

potus43
Greatest live album
Very Very TRUE!!!!

Date: February 17, 2018 23:03

His Majesty
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Mathijs

But, played rather differently.

Yes, but the groove is also rather different on the live version.

Date: February 19, 2018 13:46

Palace Revolution 2000
TheflyingDutchman

I hear what you're saying. But isn't it kind of non-sensical for Keith to do it this way? First off, I don't agree that there was an O/d at all; but let's say there was. When Keith played in Open D/E in those years, he did not use it for power chords on electric guitar. And he is also producing a LIVE album. Now if he feels that some parts need touching up, or a boost - would he not try to make it sound like one performance from the stage? Why on earth would he decide to come in a different tuning?

There are two verses with Taylor soloing. The verse that Mathijs is referring to (first solo) could very well be Keith in open E, during the second solo it could be Keith (in standard tuning ?) -playing powerchords as well, but it sounds slightly different.This could be proof for the open E overdub during Taylor's first solo. Not entirely sure. Keith stated in an interview that there are 6 or 7 guitars/ overdubs on certain tracks, "but you wouldn't even notice it".

Date: February 19, 2018 14:07

TheflyingDutchman
Palace Revolution 2000
TheflyingDutchman

There are two verses with Taylor soloing. The verse that Mathijs is referring to (first solo) could very well be Keith in open E, during the second solo it could be Keith (in standard tuning ?) -playing powerchords as well, but it sounds slightly different.This could be proof for the open E overdub during Taylor's first solo. Not entirely sure. Keith stated in an interview that there are 6 or 7 guitars/ overdubs on certain tracks, "but you wouldn't even notice it".
Dutch, are you referring to the studio version now?

Date: February 19, 2018 14:19

Palace Revolution 2000
TheflyingDutchman
Palace Revolution 2000
TheflyingDutchman

Dutch, are you referring to the studio version now?

No no, Yaya's. Give it a listen, I'm just trying to solve the case smiling smiley

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 20, 2018 03:31

I have been on a 1969 tour jag lately and have been listening to the bootlegs from the tour starting with Hyde Park and you can really hear the band coming together as the tour progresses to the point where they really click in Detroit.

Related to that I have listened to the audience recordings of the MSG shows on the Nov 27th and the Nov 28th evening show, from the VGP "Broadway" 3 CD bootleg release, and while I understand Mick's desire to have perfect vocals the audience recordings show, for me at least, he sounded pretty damn good without the overdubbed vocals on GYYO.

Also listened to the old Head label vinyl boot "Stoned MSG", from the Nov. 27th show, and is it my imagination or does the old vinyl sound better than any of the later CD bootlegs?

Are there more than one audience recording source from the Nov. 27th show?

Also there has never been any bootleg releases of the Nov 28th early show as far as I know? Any rumours of a tape in collectors hands?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-20 04:23 by oldschool.

Date: February 20, 2018 11:53

TheflyingDutchman
Palace Revolution 2000
TheflyingDutchman

The rhythm guitar on the second solo indeed sounds different than on the first solo. Darker, and could be standard tuning.

Mathijs

Date: February 20, 2018 17:21

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

On the Glyn Johns mix it sounds pretty unified as one guitar. It doesn't sound much like a punch in or out, on Keith's tracks.
SCB 69 should be from a NYC show, not Baltimore.

Its been said many times, but I had never done it: to listen to Stones shows from '69 tour, and follow the development from West to East. Its been a real treat. They did this song so well in 69. The "Its no hanging matter" part that keeps crashing in, with those two machine gun guitars on the root note has great drama. I checked some versions from Nicaragua Benefit, and Far East 73, where they still played it: by then Taylor was just flying, and over-soloing. And Keith was picking it more. So all that raunch was gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-20 18:09 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: February 20, 2018 20:20

@ Palace, is there a raw version of SCB (yaya's)that we are discussing here? That could settle it straight away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-20 21:56 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 20, 2018 22:35

TheflyingDutchman
@ Palace, is there a raw version of SCB (yaya's)that we are discussing here? That could settle it straight away.

Did you hear the Glyn Johns version up there? Its about as raw as I could find. It must be from a NYC show, because I checked. For me the easiest way is to check that last chorus (the one you call his second solo). Under the word 'Strange", in the line "oh yeah you're a strange stray cat", TAYLOR bends this great note; high in the mix. He never did it except on the yaYas version. That one I have never heard elsewhere.
What is obvious to me is that Keith plays it pretty much the same on every show. I listened to all 69 shows I have. They all sound dead like the Yayas version.
On the studio version there is nothing similar to his style of Ya-Yas.

I had to edit: it was unclear, when I was talking about the bend in that 2nd chrous, I was talking about Mick Taylor; not Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-22 03:07 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: February 20, 2018 23:36

I was actually looking for the unedited SCB version with good stereo audio quality (or even footage) that later appeared on Yaya's. If that pops up we know for sure: Keith didn't change guitars during Taylor's solo on the original. This interesting SCB version seems to be missing on youtube, actually it's nowhere to be found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-21 00:31 by TheflyingDutchman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home