Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 19
Re: Remembering Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!
Date: September 23, 2016 11:21

This is not a Taylor/Ronnie-discussion, and I don't know why someone talks about Ronnie here.

However, when people starts calling him a «Taylor-inspired, Hendrix wannabe» they have missed the point and don't really know what they're talking about, imo.

That was my point. I posted Hot Stuff, because it showcases Ronnie's style, which is funkier, more ragged and more rhythm-based than the ones he was compared with.

The fact that some people wanted him to be something he's not, doesn't alter that he indeed has a signature style. You can spot Woody within a tenth of a second when he plays - which is what every guitar player would dream of accomplishing: a unique voice.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 23, 2016 11:25

DandelionPowderman
This is not a Taylor/Ronnie-discussion, and I don't know why someone talks about Ronnie here.

However, when people starts calling him a «Taylor-inspired, Hendrix wannabe» they have missed the point and don't really know what they're talking about, imo.

That was my point. I posted Hot Stuff, because it showcases Ronnie's style, which is funkier, more ragged and more rhythm-based than the ones he was compared with.

The fact that some people wanted him to be something he's not, doesn't alter that he indeed has a signature style. You can spot Woody within a tenth of a second when he plays - which is what every guitar player would dream of accomplishing: a unique voice.

Agreed. I see a lot of threads that start as one thing and turn into something totally off topic and I'm guilty as anyone...Back to the point...Get Yer Ya Ya's Out is awesome; a great capturing of a band entering the peak of it's powers. If I had to choose one album to take to a life of abandonment on a desert island, it would be Ya Ya's.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 11:35 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: September 23, 2016 11:39

Ha ha, funny, Flash. I was also thinking about it as the Desert Island-disc just now smileys with beer

Date: September 23, 2016 11:42

DandelionPowderman
Ha ha, funny, Flash. I was also thinking about it as the Desert Island-disc just now smileys with beer

Ah, DP...You are a man of similar taste! smileys with beer

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: September 23, 2016 14:47

DandelionPowderman
You can spot Woody within a tenth of a second when he plays - which is what every guitar player would dream of accomplishing: a unique voice.

Sure you can spot Ron within a split second, and every guitar player has a unique
voice, good, average or even bad, ambitious or not.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 23, 2016 14:58

DandelionPowderman

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: September 23, 2016 15:28

DonParker
DandelionPowderman
You can spot Woody within a tenth of a second when he plays - which is what every guitar player would dream of accomplishing: a unique voice.

Sure you can spot Ron within a split second, and every guitar player has a unique
voice
, good, average or even bad, ambitious or not.

That's where I disagree smiling smiley

A lot of players want to sound like something or someone, but they leave their own personality by the wayside in doing so. Hence they end up sounding like copycats.

That's why I thought Travellin' Man's description of Ronnie as a player was so off.

We can like Ronnie's playing or not - that's fair and totally okay, because we all have different tastes in music. But to say that there are lots of guitar players who sound like him, is wrong, imo.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: September 23, 2016 15:41

DandelionPowderman
DonParker
DandelionPowderman

voice

A lot of players want to sound like something or someone, but they leave their own personality by the wayside in doing so. Hence they end up sounding like copycats.

That's why I thought Travellin' Man's description of Ronnie as a player was so off.

We can like Ronnie's playing or not - that's fair and totally okay, because we all have different tastes in music. But to say that there are lots of guitar players who sound like him, is wrong, imo.

"Inspired by" would be the best. Actually that's happening as long as music
exists.

Hey, give it a blast tomorrow! smileys with beer

Date: September 23, 2016 16:12

DonParker
DandelionPowderman
DonParker
DandelionPowderman

voice

"Inspired by" would be the best. Actually that's happening as long as music
exists.

Hey, give it a blast tomorrow! smileys with beer

Will do, thanks smileys with beer

Date: September 23, 2016 16:17

Ronnie Wood ain't the subject of this thread but since we're talking about him. I'm sure there are many guitarists influenced by him. I play and I've definitely spent time learning a lot of his licks...and Keith's. Can't say I'm technically good enough to pull off a lot of Mick Taylor's leads though.....He's in a class all his own and deviates quite a bit from the mostly pentatonic-based licks that Keith and Ronnie excel at.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 23, 2016 16:25

Remember it? I've never forgotten it? grinning smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 23, 2016 16:58

HonkeyTonkFlash
Ronnie Wood ain't the subject of this thread but since we're talking about him. I'm sure there are many guitarists influenced by him. I play and I've definitely spent time learning a lot of his licks...and Keith's. Can't say I'm technically good enough to pull off a lot of Mick Taylor's leads though.....He's in a class all his own and deviates quite a bit from the mostly pentatonic-based licks that Keith and Ronnie excel at.

Ronnie's amazing, as far as I'm concerned, from even before he was a Stone. The comparison's of any of them are quite silly, whether Brian, MickT, Ronnie, each has a firm place in Stones history and contributed to some amazing output during each's tenure.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 23, 2016 18:03

DandelionPowderman

This is a forum that spawns all kinds of related discussions of topics. People were mentioning they like other live albums over Ya Ya's. Albums with different line-ups. I brought up why I don't prefer those line-ups. Not sure what's wrong with that.

On the 1975 tour Wood was definitely influenced by Taylor. Quite understandable. He had been following the band and needed to get tour ready in a short amount of time. Nothing wrong with that. I just find it hard to enjoy when just two years prior somebody did it more to my taste. He comes off as wild and Hendrix inspired at times, nothing wrong with that either. I just don't feel it from him. I enjoy his playing on other tours more so than 1975*. I don't want him to be something he's not, I just don't enjoy his playing as much as you.

*Although I love that set-list.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 18:08 by TravelinMan.

Date: September 23, 2016 19:17

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

This is a forum that spawns all kinds of related discussions of topics. People were mentioning they like other live albums over Ya Ya's. Albums with different line-ups. I brought up why I don't prefer those line-ups. Not sure what's wrong with that.

On the 1975 tour Wood was definitely influenced by Taylor. Quite understandable. He had been following the band and needed to get tour ready in a short amount of time. Nothing wrong with that. I just find it hard to enjoy when just two years prior somebody did it more to my taste. He comes off as wild and Hendrix inspired at times, nothing wrong with that either. I just don't feel it from him. I enjoy his playing on other tours more so than 1975*. I don't want him to be something he's not, I just don't enjoy his playing as much as you.

Fair enough, but I still can't hear the musical inspiration from Hendrix in his playing.

He played a few Taylor-licks that were important for the songs, but apart from that I wouldn't say he is particularly inspired by Taylor, either. Musically, they're just too different.

But that's me..

Date: September 23, 2016 19:38

LeonidP
HonkeyTonkFlash

Ronnie's amazing, as far as I'm concerned, from even before he was a Stone. The comparison's of any of them are quite silly, whether Brian, MickT, Ronnie, each has a firm place in Stones history and contributed to some amazing output during each's tenure.

Yes, they all have their place in the Stones saga. Funny - when I was a kid I was very into the Stones and then I discovered the Faces. I loved Ronnie's guitar work with them and after seeing them on TV somewhere, I thought to myself, "That Ron Wood seems like he belongs in the Stones!" Well, we all know what happened. I had a big smile on my face the day I heard on the radio that he had joined.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 23, 2016 20:24

HonkeyTonkFlash
LeonidP
HonkeyTonkFlash

Yes, they all have their place in the Stones saga. Funny - when I was a kid I was very into the Stones and then I discovered the Faces. I loved Ronnie's guitar work with them and after seeing them on TV somewhere, I thought to myself, "That Ron Wood seems like he belongs in the Stones!" Well, we all know what happened. I had a big smile on my face the day I heard on the radio that he had joined.

And before Faces, w/ Jeff Beck group as well ... I have 2 albums (beckola, and i forget name of the other). The songs are not that great, at least not to me, but there is still some fantastic guitars on some of them. I think Ronnie even does a couple Beck tunes for his solo live shows, or at least he used to.

Date: September 23, 2016 20:32

LeonidP
HonkeyTonkFlash
LeonidP
HonkeyTonkFlash

And before Faces, w/ Jeff Beck group as well ... I have 2 albums (beckola, and i forget name of the other). The songs are not that great, at least not to me, but there is still some fantastic guitars on some of them. I think Ronnie even does a couple Beck tunes for his solo live shows, or at least he used to.

Yep, after I discovered Faces I backtracked and learned about the Jeff Beck group. That was some pretty cool music and I loved Ronnie's bass playing as well.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 23, 2016 20:47

I was just a casual Stones fan in the '70s, familiar with Hot Rocks, Some Girls, etc. - didn't become a diehard fan until after the '81 Hampton show (when I was 16), which I taped off the radio. Spent 1982 getting into their live albums, (Ya-Ya's, Love You Live, Got Live...) - really dug Ya-Ya's as it was my first exposure to a few songs (Stray Cat Blues, Live With Me, Love In Vain) before even hearing the studio versions.

Also spent '82 seeking out Stones bootlegs, so once I heard other '69 shows (LiveR, San Diego, etc.) - without certain Keith backing vocals - I figured out pretty quickly there were overdubs on some Ya-Ya's tracks. But it never really detracted from my listening enjoyment of the album, although I did generally prefer the unaltered live versions. Over the next couple of years, I immersed myself in their entire back catalogue...so the Stones became a big part of the soundtrack of my college years. Although it all really began with the Hampton show, Ya-Ya's had a significant role early on as well.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 23, 2016 22:17

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Fair enough, but I still can't hear the musical inspiration from Hendrix in his playing.

He played a few Taylor-licks that were important for the songs, but apart from that I wouldn't say he is particularly inspired by Taylor, either. Musically, they're just too different.

But that's me..

I'm probably just thinking of JJF...I'd have to re-listen. The sort of wild guitar stuff.

BTW, what are your favorite live versions of Wild Horses and Get Off My Cloud? I guess Richards phaser is appropriate for the time (1975), it gives the song a very druggy sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 22:17 by TravelinMan.

Date: September 23, 2016 22:25

Yeah, I liked those WH-versions from 1965.

GOOMC rocked hard in 66/67.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 23, 2016 23:22

DandelionPowderman
GOOMC rocked hard in 66/67.

Those are my favorite versions of the song. Never really liked the studio take ...always felt it was too sing-songy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 24, 2016 17:18

I went through a phase of listening to LOVE YOU LIVE a lot but at one point I made a tape of SFTD and Midnight Rambler from GYYYO! over and over on one side and the other side was Honky Tonk Women from LYL, JJF, SFM and the 2 Chuck Berry songs from GYYYO among a few others for when I was mowing lawns.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 24, 2016 19:03

That muddy deep and hard rock sound is amazing. It's so thick and has real meat.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 24, 2016 23:40

HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet
Their greatest live album, regardless of the overdubs![/quote

Indeed, if you compare it with boots from the 1969 tour, it's clear that the overdubs merely polish up the vocals; the album still perfectly captures the spirit of what The Rolling Stones in 1969 were all about.

the album still perfectly captures the spirit of what The Rolling Stones in 1969 were all about

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: September 30, 2016 18:30

Is anyone here interested in a White Hot Stamper of "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out"? It is supposed to be one of the best vinyl copies of the album. Too expensive for me.

Link to White Hot Hot Stamper

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 2, 2016 15:45

You want to know something that truly irritates this Rolling Stones fan? Check this out, per what is described on Amazon-on 11/11/16 there will be released a 36 (count 'em) box set of Bob Dylan's 1966 live recordings. In looking at the song list for all the shows- with some exceptions here and there, the set-list is pretty standard across all 36 discs!

[www.amazon.com]

Sooooo, why can't Abkco/the Stones get it together and release three mere shows from 11/69 at Madison Square Garden (that were recorded for Ya Yas) housed in a nicely box set? Boyz, if you are out there somewhere and reading this-this is not that difficult a project to get together.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 2, 2016 21:22

They won´t do that. To much time has passed, no overdubs can be done anymore. YaYa´s is loaded with overdubs, so it seems they didn´t like the original material. And that is why they probably won´t release anything from that period in the future.

Date: October 2, 2016 21:37

HMS
They won´t do that. To much time has passed, no overdubs can be done anymore. YaYa´s is loaded with overdubs, so it seems they didn´t like the original material. And that is why they probably won´t release anything from that period in the future.

It's a little misleading to say that Ya Ya's is loaded with overdubs. Most of the instrumentation is original. The bulk of the overdubs were done to spice up the sound of the vocals.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 2, 2016 21:58

HMS

I hear where you are going with this, but realistically they could get away with releasing this material minus overdubs. They played well enough by this time where they could release these shows as is.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 3, 2016 07:52

HMS

Such an absolute rubbish conclusion!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home