Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 19
Re: Remembering Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!
Date: September 22, 2016 10:33

It leaves me speechless how a Stonesfan can call HTW or SFTD or SFM or LWM from Ya-Ya's lacking in energy or performance. Charlie's drumming alone; no - his drumSOUND alone, is enough to make them all 5*.
The electricity of Street Fighting Man; Bill giving the Bass a tune, Jagger going "We're gonna do one more and then we gotta go" and the crowd goes "No", the feedback from guitars - this song isn;t supposed to be very nuanced. It's the final howl from the Stones live show. You also know that the last 2 minutes of repetitive riffing, getting louder and more dissonant, has Jagger throwing roses and picking up his scarf and hat.
Sympathy...does anyone really need that one laid out and explained?

Date: September 22, 2016 10:42

Did anyone critise SFTD on Ya Yas? If so, that's baffling indeed.

The only thing to criticise is that we didn't get the full song!

Date: September 22, 2016 10:48

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, somewhere up in the thread.
Re. the edit: I actually wanted to mention that. While I normally hate edits, I like it for this particular version.
That might be only because I started listening to Ya-Ya's at age 8. So I always knew the Ya-Yas version like this; unquestioned. Took me years to even know there was an edit.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 22, 2016 11:06

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

Re. the edit: I actually wanted to mention that. While I normally hate edits, I like it for this particular version.
That might be only because I started listening to Ya-Ya's at age 8. So I always knew the Ya-Yas version like this; unquestioned. Took me years to even know there was an edit.

If Ya Ya's was THE album that made me a Stones fan, that version of Sympathy is THE song that really did it. In fact, this was the first time I ever heard Sympathy For The Devil and it blew me away. Everything about it is genius. Keith Richards' guitar figures against Taylor's rhythm during the verses, Keith's simple but sinister solo, dropping back to rhythm, thrashing away as if possessed, as Taylor takes over and tears it up; it took me to another universe. This was also the first song where I realized how fantastically the Stones could reinvent a song for the stage. Like I said, I heard this version first. Later I went and bought Beggar's Banquet, eager to hear the "official" version of Sympathy. I was shocked at first to hear the African drums and the piano-based arrangement but I suddenly realized how great the Stones were at knowing what worked in the studio and then treating the live performance as an entirely different thing. This changing up of how they once did things live was a hallmark of what initially made me a fan. When I heard live Stones and went to my first concerts in 1978 and 1981, I EXPECTED the songs to sound different from their studio counterparts. Thus, my being somewhat let down when they came back in 1989 and starting doing carbon copies. That's all been discussed to death elsewhere, why that made sense for ticket sales in the modern era. Anyway, for me, SFTD is the masterful centerpiece of Ya Ya's. Then we could analyze how they evolved Stray Cat Blues from a gritty rocker to a leering lullaby but I'll stop now. I feel like an old man longing for bygone days. Perhaps I am....

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-22 11:07 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: September 22, 2016 11:52

I've been listening to Carol and Midnight Rambler only (Ya Yas) endlessly now for the last weeks, trying to memorise the lyrics. Mick's lyrics are fvcked up anyway - it's amazing how much he flubs without me noticing it before now smiling smiley

Well, that might say something about our setlist on Saturday winking smiley

Date: September 22, 2016 11:56

DandelionPowderman
I've been listening to Carol and Midnight Rambler only (Ya Yas) endlessly now for the last weeks, trying to memorise the lyrics. Mick's lyrics are fvcked up anyway - it's amazing how much he flubs without me noticing it before now smiling smiley

Yeah - he did mess up a lot in the era before teleprompters! I remember when they did Street Fighting Man in Philly 1981. It was a trainwreck musically plus I think Mick got almost every verse totally wrong!

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 22, 2016 13:54

HonkeyTonkFlash
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

If Ya Ya's was THE album that made me a Stones fan, that version of Sympathy is THE song that really did it. In fact, this was the first time I ever heard Sympathy For The Devil and it blew me away. Everything about it is genius. Keith Richards' guitar figures against Taylor's rhythm during the verses, Keith's simple but sinister solo, dropping back to rhythm, thrashing away as if possessed, as Taylor takes over and tears it up; it took me to another universe. I feel like an old man longing for bygone days. Perhaps I am....
Me too, every word to here is true for me, first played in 1971,I bought the LP after I saw gimme shelter, the movie. OMG !

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: September 22, 2016 15:39

My favorite live Stones record.

As they were recording that whole MSG run on the Mobile Unit for potential release, I have long hoped for an expanded "Deluxe" edition.

Date: September 22, 2016 16:05

Javadave

As they were recording that whole MSG run on the Mobile Unit for potential release, I have long hoped for an expanded "Deluxe" edition.

Didn't they put one out a few years ago for the 40th anniversary? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 22, 2016 16:19

They did indeed thumbs up

Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: September 22, 2016 16:31

Until my 13th birthday i knew only the name,i listened only classic music and was very happy like that...and then my first love bought me Get yer...Everything changed in my life!!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 22, 2016 16:52

Javadave

What they missed on the 4oth anniversary was having a COMPLETE DVD of an MSG show. Having a visual of Midnight Rambler and Sympathy for the Devil would have made that re-issue a stellar release! Better yet, a CD boxed set of all the MSG shows played in 11/69. Sorry- just my pipe dream....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2016 17:05

TheBlockbuster
GasLightStreet
TheBlockbuster
It's an overrated album in my book, HTW, SFT and LWM on this album are among the worst officially released versions of those songs.

Love You Live has more aggression and energy, compare the version of HTW on both albums and it's night and day.

SFT? No idea.

Live With Me is exceptional - it's a completely different song than the LP version - and much better. Since you said among the worst officially released versions, I'm guessing you think the 1995 B-side and NO SECURITY versions of Live With Me are in that category as well since those are the other two official live versions.

Nothing will ever beat Honky Tonk Women on LOVE YOU LIVE but the one on GYYYO is pretty good.

Well maybe if you explore the other 6 or so official live versions of Live With you will change your mind. eye rolling smiley

Live With Me featuring Christina Aguilera from Shine A Light is the worst one yet. The one on GYYO! is the second worst. The versions on for instance Light The Fuse and Totally Stripped displays a much tighter and energetic band.

I've heard them. The Wild Horses B-side version is decent and slightly better than the NO SECURITY version but nothing compares to the monster performance from GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!. Anything from the BANG tour is going to be bad, especially SHINE A LIGHT.

Date: September 22, 2016 17:06

HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS
I remember a couple of live albums I´ve listened to at the time I first experienced Get Yer Ya Ya´s Out (around 1982) and all of them I enjoyed a lot more (and still do):

The Doors - Absolutely Live
Ten Years After - Recorded Live
Ozzy Osbourne - Speak Of The Devil
David Bowie - David Live
Bob Dylan - At Budokan
Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Favoring Ozzy over Ya Ya's? I'm speechless.

You shan't be surprised by anything of and from HMS.

Date: September 22, 2016 17:11

MileHigh
I think that Love You Live has taken on a certain appeal with age, but when it came out it was a disappointment. I suppose there is a quasi "Exile story arc" for Love You Live.

GYYYO rules, simple as that. Not a bad song to be found. The tension-release, tension-release vibe of Street Fighting Man is brilliant. The whole album is brilliant and the "signature Stones swing" song on the album is Little Queenie.

There are very few albums that I can play back like a tape recorder in my head, and most of GYYYO is like that for me.

Weird how the 1975-76 tours were huge yet LOVE YOU LIVE is a mess, with some decent songs on it performance wise. In some aspects it's a great live album to listen to for how bad the Stones could be while still pulling it off somehow (Brown Sugar and JJF at 300 mph) and how good they could be with seemingly little effort (Honky Tonk Women, YCAGWYW, the only ever good version of IORR, Star Star and of course the Mocambo tracks).

Date: September 22, 2016 17:15

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

Yeah - he did mess up a lot in the era before teleprompters! I remember when they did Street Fighting Man in Philly 1981. It was a trainwreck musically plus I think Mick got almost every verse totally wrong!

Wow! Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 22, 2016 17:20

GasLightStreet
TheBlockbuster
GasLightStreet
TheBlockbuster
It's an overrated album in my book, HTW, SFT and LWM on this album are among the worst officially released versions of those songs.

Love You Live has more aggression and energy, compare the version of HTW on both albums and it's night and day.

SFT? No idea.

Live With Me is exceptional - it's a completely different song than the LP version - and much better. Since you said among the worst officially released versions, I'm guessing you think the 1995 B-side and NO SECURITY versions of Live With Me are in that category as well since those are the other two official live versions.

Nothing will ever beat Honky Tonk Women on LOVE YOU LIVE but the one on GYYYO is pretty good.

Well maybe if you explore the other 6 or so official live versions of Live With you will change your mind. eye rolling smiley

Live With Me featuring Christina Aguilera from Shine A Light is the worst one yet. The one on GYYO! is the second worst. The versions on for instance Light The Fuse and Totally Stripped displays a much tighter and energetic band.

I've heard them. The Wild Horses B-side version is decent and slightly better than the NO SECURITY version but nothing compares to the monster performance from GET YER YA-YA'S OUT!. Anything from the BANG tour is going to be bad, especially SHINE A LIGHT.

The Roundhouse version is the only version that is up there in quality with the Ya-Yas version, imo.

Marquee is quite good as well, being the opening number and with the stop and re-start in the ending.

Date: September 22, 2016 18:25

GasLightStreet
MileHigh
I think that Love You Live has taken on a certain appeal with age, but when it came out it was a disappointment. I suppose there is a quasi "Exile story arc" for Love You Live.

GYYYO rules, simple as that. Not a bad song to be found. The tension-release, tension-release vibe of Street Fighting Man is brilliant. The whole album is brilliant and the "signature Stones swing" song on the album is Little Queenie.

There are very few albums that I can play back like a tape recorder in my head, and most of GYYYO is like that for me.

Weird how the 1975-76 tours were huge yet LOVE YOU LIVE is a mess, with some decent songs on it performance wise. In some aspects it's a great live album to listen to for how bad the Stones could be while still pulling it off somehow (Brown Sugar and JJF at 300 mph) and how good they could be with seemingly little effort (Honky Tonk Women, YCAGWYW, the only ever good version of IORR, Star Star and of course the Mocambo tracks).

I wouldn't say LYL is a mess. It's not as good as Ya Ya's but I think the band sounds very hot musically. Once again, it's Mick's 75-76 habit or barking and shouting, which brings the rating down a bit for me.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 22, 2016 19:23

DandelionPowderman
I like that «Taylor inspired Hendrix-wannabe».

Not true, of course:

[www.youtube.com]

What's not true? The people (HMS) posting about Taylor noodling too much just need to listen to Wood on LA Friday on most of the songs, take Jumping Jack Flash. Whatever it is (manic Hendrix stuff), it isn't executed very well and it's boring.

Wood admitted he took things he liked that Taylor did, Gimme Shelter for example, it's just not up to the standard set tone-wise and execution. He chokes out so many notes on the album I just can't get into his playing.

Angie is another, it loses any touch of grace with his playing. It's like he had no restraint on that tour, except for Wild Horses (which I like except for the phaser Richards used). Snort much?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 22, 2016 19:36

in 1970, I was not particularly fond of Live albums. I felt that there were unsuccessful attempts to achieve the LPs successful standard. With time, I changed the perception and much thanks to Frank Zappa, and yes, Ya Yas is the best Live-album ever when it comes to rock'n'roll...

2 1 2 0

Date: September 22, 2016 20:00

Come On
in 1970, I was not particularly fond of Live albums. I felt that there were unsuccessful attempts to achieve the LPs successful standard. With time, I changed the perception and much thanks to Frank Zappa, and yes, Ya Yas is the best Live-album ever when it comes to rock'n'roll...

Ya Ya's actually made me prefer live albums due to the excitement factor of hearing music done in front of a crowd. Of course, most live albums don't match Ya Ya's and I grew to appreciate what it takes to make musical art in the studio.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: September 22, 2016 20:12

I love Ya Ya's.......I think it's one of the great live albums in rock history. However, I think it would have been better if they had waited and recorded it on the 1970 European tour. I said that once before on this forum and got some fairly heated responses for such heresy, but I do think it would have been better. The band was tighter, it was Mick Taylor's second tour with the band, they had the horn section....

Of course, we would all love it if they had released a live album from every tour.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: September 23, 2016 00:08

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Not true, of course:

[www.youtube.com]

What's not true? The people (HMS) posting about Taylor noodling too much just need to listen to Wood on LA Friday on most of the songs, take Jumping Jack Flash. Whatever it is (manic Hendrix stuff), it isn't executed very well and it's boring.

Wood admitted he took things he liked that Taylor did, Gimme Shelter for example, it's just not up to the standard set tone-wise and execution. He chokes out so many notes on the album I just can't get into his playing.

Angie is another, it loses any touch of grace with his playing. It's like he had no restraint on that tour, except for Wild Horses (which I like except for the phaser Richards used). Snort much?

Watts, Wyman , Jagger and Richards are great on Hot Stuff here. Ron Wood did what he had to do, playing the riff and (imo) a very average solo. I can only imagine what Taylor would have played. Surely it would have taken hot stuff to a higher level, just like Harvey Mandel did on the studio track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 00:58 by DonParker.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 23, 2016 00:57

Yes Don it would.

Date: September 23, 2016 03:15

DonParker
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Not true, of course:

[www.youtube.com]

Watts, Wyman , Jagger and Richards are great on Hot Stuff here. Ron Wood did what he had to do, playing the riff and (imo) a very average solo. I can only imagine what Taylor would have played. Surely it would have taken hot stuff to a higher level, just like Harvey Mandel did on the studio track.

Not sure if Taylor would've adapted well to the funk/disco stuff. I love how Ron Wood played it on LYL. I don't think Taylor would've fit well on albums like Some Girls either.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2016 05:34

DonParker
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Not true, of course:

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, Ronnie's solo here is a bit pedestrian...by the numbers...average at best.
Mick Taylor would have taken it to an exceptionally higher level. His amazing solo at the end of 100 Years Ago hints at would could have been...

Date: September 23, 2016 08:18

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Not true, of course:

[www.youtube.com]

It's the comparison that isn’t valid. Woody is Woody. He already had developed his own sound from the Faces. That is true, whether one likes his sound or not..

Date: September 23, 2016 10:40

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Not true, of course:

[www.youtube.com]

It's the comparison that isn’t valid. Woody is Woody. He already had developed his own sound from the Faces. That is true, whether one likes his sound or not..

Agree. Woody is Woody and he has his own style. He did a great job on his debut tour in 1975. He did try to cop some of Taylor's licks, but I feel he made them his own. As a guitarist myself, I'm well aware that Taylor is the more skillful player, but I've always been very fond of Woody's ragged-but-right rock and roll sound....and speaking of Hot Stuff, there's one that was so lively and funky in 1976 but had the life sucked out of it when they revived it a few times in the modern era. I cringe when I see the rehearsal clip from Four Flicks. They were trying so hard to replicate the studio version that they totally lost the vibrant feel it had in 1976. Maybe it's just me....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 10:52 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: September 23, 2016 10:54

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Not true, of course:

[www.youtube.com]

Agree. Woody is Woody and he has his own style. He did a great job on his debut tour in 1975. He did try to cop some of Taylor's licks, but I feel he made them his own. As a guitarist myself, I'm well aware that Taylor is the more skillful player, but I've always been very fond of Woody's ragged-but-right rock and roll sound.

Ron Wood, can often surprise me; yes - in my mind he is in the'raggedy-rhytmic-bluesy' type dept. But then he will just come out and shake off some effortless run that leaves me speechless. "Hot Stuff" is not the best song to judge lead-guitar playing on. It's a rhythmic groove song. Although - I agree 100%, that had this song appeared while Taylor was in the band in his heyday, MT would have found a way to transform this song.

Date: September 23, 2016 11:04

Palace Revolution 2000
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Not true, of course:

[www.youtube.com]

Agree. Woody is Woody and he has his own style. He did a great job on his debut tour in 1975. He did try to cop some of Taylor's licks, but I feel he made them his own. As a guitarist myself, I'm well aware that Taylor is the more skillful player, but I've always been very fond of Woody's ragged-but-right rock and roll sound.

Ron Wood, can often surprise me; yes - in my mind he is in the'raggedy-rhytmic-bluesy' type dept. But then he will just come out and shake off some effortless run that leaves me speechless. "Hot Stuff" is not the best song to judge lead-guitar playing on. It's a rhythmic groove song. Although - I agree 100%, that had this song appeared while Taylor was in the band in his heyday, MT would have found a way to transform this song.

You may well be right. I just have a hard time imagining Taylor on the funk/disco stuff. Can't picture him as well on Miss You, Shattered, Beast of Burden. Woody is perfect on those and many others from that era.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home