Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 19
Re: Remembering Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2016 11:11

I was but an impressionable 10 year old when I first heard Ya Ya's. I was already aware that I liked the Stones, but this album just floored me. ( I started young; I was 5 when Satisfaction came out and I knew rock and roll was the music for me!) To this day I hold it as the gold standard of live rock and roll at it's best. The only other live album that comes close for me is The Who Live At Leeds. I also like Love You Live quite a bit, but was initially unhappy with Mick's vocal style on it. Still Life, also very good, but I think they could've gotten a better guitar sound on it. After that....Flashpoint, very good. Subsequent live albums have pleased me but are not essential to the Stones catalog. Nothing ever rocked my world like Ya Ya's. It was also THE album I learned to play guitar by; listening to it over and over, was very proud of meself when I figured out Keith's solos on Sympathy and others....I can't really believe the album is so old now...as am I! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-21 11:18 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 21, 2016 11:31

The best live album from the Stones and - dare I say it - better than any live albums from any other band. I don't care about the overdubs (never knew they were there before reading it on this forum). If that means it's not a "real live" album, that's fine with me, then it will be one of their Big Five. (Big Seven, if you include Some Girls and Tattoo You).
The only song on it I am not so fond of is SFM, but then I'm not fond of that one anyway, and luckily it's at the end of the album, so no need to skip, just click on "repeat".

Date: September 21, 2016 11:45

matxil
The best live album from the Stones and - dare I say it - better than any live albums from any other band. I don't care about the overdubs (never knew they were there before reading it on this forum). If that means it's not a "real live" album, that's fine with me, then it will be one of their Big Five. (Big Seven, if you include Some Girls and Tattoo You).
The only song on it I am not so fond of is SFM, but then I'm not fond of that one anyway, and luckily it's at the end of the album, so no need to skip, just click on "repeat".

Yeah, despite the overdubs, I would still say it's a real live album. I think the overdubs are just because some vocals than can get by in the excitement of a concert just didn't come off as well for listening at home...so they fixed them. No big deal. Musically it's pretty much as recorded with minimal guitar fixing.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: September 21, 2016 12:04

GasLightStreet
Their greatest live album, regardless of the overdubs!

You beat me on that.
I don't care for the overdubs and don't have to compare this or that song with the versions on other albums.
It's just still fun to me listen to it every now and then.
And that's all what I'd like to expect.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 21, 2016 14:26

TheBlockbuster
It's an overrated album in my book, HTW, SFT and LWM on this album are among the worst officially released versions of those songs.

Love You Live has more aggression and energy, compare the version of HTW on both albums and it's night and day.

Couldn't disagree more. Except for Side 3, LYL sounds tired and bloated. Ya Yas documented a band at their peak.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 21, 2016 14:28

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
It's an overrated album in my book, HTW, SFT and LWM on this album are among the worst officially released versions of those songs.

Love You Live has more aggression and energy, compare the version of HTW on both albums and it's night and day.

What's wrong with Live With Me? I think it's excellent.

Live With Me is pure magic on Ya Ya's. Just listen to the way Wyman's bass dances around Keith's guitar...classic.

+1

Date: September 21, 2016 14:39

71Tele
TheBlockbuster

Couldn't disagree more. Except for Side 3, LYL sounds tired and bloated. Ya Yas documented a band at their peak.

I think that musically, Love You Live sounds good, hot and energetic. Just not a huge fan of the vocal style Mick adopted during the 75-76 tours.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 21, 2016 15:41

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

It lacks the power and tightness of latter versions like Roundhouse 71 or even No Security. It's clear that they didn't really know yet how to approach Live With Me since it was so new. Same with Honky Tonk Women which was alot more energetic already in 1973.

Date: September 21, 2016 15:47

The Roundhouse-version of Live With Me is very good, but it lacks that guitar sound of Ya-Yas. Roundhouse is more piano-based, which is cool, too, but not «more powerful».

I still haven't heard a great HTW from 1973. HP 1969 is the closest to greatness they came with HTW live, imo. The band performance of HTW on LYL is very good, though.

I reckon SFT is SFM? I like the Ya Yas-version a log, mainly because there is less shouting and more singing, and the guitars are still more true to the song's groove. Later on, they were all over the place, imo.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2016 16:14

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

Live With Me is pure magic on Ya Ya's. Just listen to the way Wyman's bass dances around Keith's guitar...classic.

Of course, the entire album is brilliant. Live With Me is no exception!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 21, 2016 16:16

TheBlockbuster

I agree. SFR,HTW, and LWM are really week. Plus I don't like JJJ. I will never understand why they picked that version instead of the one on GS which sounds alot better. They have never been able to do a decent live version of SFM.

BUt there alot of highs on the albums for sure. You just have to skip so much.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 21, 2016 16:22

DandelionPowderman
The Roundhouse-version of Live With Me is very good, but it lacks that guitar sound of Ya-Yas. Roundhouse is more piano-based, which is cool, too, but not «more powerful».

I still haven't heard a great HTW from 1973. HP 1969 is the closest to greatness they came with HTW live, imo. The band performance of HTW on LYL is very good, though.

I reckon SFT is SFM? I like the Ya Yas-version a log, mainly because there is less shouting and more singing, and the guitars are still more true to the song's groove. Later on, they were all over the place, imo.

HTW was imo only truly great live between 1975-1978 and 1997-2003 but there are some exceptions.

I agree with the less shouting comment on SFM, but after 1995 it was always better live than on GYYYO. SFM is too wimpy on GYYYO, it doesn't rock at all, somewhat like a cover band performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-21 16:23 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: September 21, 2016 16:26

SFM on Ya Ya's doesn't rock? Funny how we all hear things differently. I think it rocks like crazy, especially the ending section.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 21, 2016 16:47

LeonidP
S.T.P
The overdubs are aweful...

You listened back then and knew there were overdubs? ... I'm thinking you only knew because you read about it on here.

My parents hadn't even met in 1970...

Date: September 21, 2016 16:56

S.T.P
LeonidP
S.T.P

You listened back then and knew there were overdubs? ... I'm thinking you only knew because you read about it on here.

How can anyone say the overdubs are awful? No one even knew about them until many years after the release. At the time it just sounded like a very good live recording. Nothing sounds "fake."

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 21, 2016 17:06

HonkeyTonkFlash
SFM on Ya Ya's doesn't rock? Funny how we all hear things differently. I think it rocks like crazy, especially the ending section.

Indeed. I simply love this frantic, Wyman-driven groove of SFM on YaYa's - while "modern" live versions, though not bad at all, sound a bit stiff in comparison. Anyway, back then, live arrangements of many songs were markably different compared to their studio counterparts, they developed their own lives, and YaYa's as a whole is a splendid example for this, documenting a time when live arrangements were not stuck in the framework of the studio recordings like nowadays.

Date: September 21, 2016 17:10

alimente
HonkeyTonkFlash

Indeed. I simply love this frantic, Wyman-driven groove of SFM on YaYa's - while "modern" live versions, though not bad at all, sound a bit stiff in comparison. Anyway, back then, live arrangements of many songs were markably different compared to their studio counterparts, they developed their own lives, and YaYa's as a whole is a splendid example for this, documenting a time when live arrangements were not stuck in the framework of the studio recordings like nowadays.

Well said. Ya Yas is indeed a brilliant example of how the Stones used to present radically reinvented arrangements of their songs on stage. When I was growing up, with Ya Ya's, Love You Live and Still Life providing a constant background for my youth, it was unthinkable that the Stones would ever deliberately attempt to replicate their studio arrangements on stage. Thus, I was somewhat shocked and disillusioned with the approach they've taken since 1989....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2016 17:11

TheBlockbuster

SFT? No idea.

Live With Me is exceptional - it's a completely different song than the LP version - and much better. Since you said among the worst officially released versions, I'm guessing you think the 1995 B-side and NO SECURITY versions of Live With Me are in that category as well since those are the other two official live versions.

Nothing will ever beat Honky Tonk Women on LOVE YOU LIVE but the one on GYYYO is pretty good.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 21, 2016 17:12

The Stones at their peak: Me and my friends were all raving about Ya Ya's at the time, no one knew about them overdubs and so what, it was and is a great Stones live album!

Date: September 21, 2016 17:15

HonkeyTonkFlash
71Tele
TheBlockbuster

I think that musically, Love You Live sounds good, hot and energetic. Just not a huge fan of the vocal style Mick adopted during the 75-76 tours.

His bathroom grunting doesn't suit you? LOL!

Date: September 21, 2016 17:17

stanlove
TheBlockbuster

I agree. SFR,HTW, and LWM are really week. Plus I don't like JJJ. I will never understand why they picked that version instead of the one on GS which sounds alot better. They have never been able to do a decent live version of SFM.

Coffee spitter if I had coffee in my hand to drink!

Date: September 21, 2016 17:20

GasLightStreet
stanlove
TheBlockbuster

How can anyone with ears think ANYTHING from Ya Ya's is weak or skip-worthy? That album is classic and legendary for a reason!

Date: September 21, 2016 17:22

HonkeyTonkFlash

SFT doesn't rock. Or anything, apparently, on GYYYO! Seeing that there isn't a SFT on GYYYO!

Street Fighting Man, on the other hand, is just pummelingly powerful, especially the end, with Taylor's blistering lead and Charlie's monster motor kick pedal thumping. Absolutely monstrous, especially since the opening of the tune starts out relaxed and it slowly kicks in and then settles into this huge ice breaking machine and then explodes at the end. Upon all the years of listening to live albums and live bootlegs, the closest they've ever come to having that powerful of a performance of SFM since 1969 was in 2002-03. The Madison Square Garden performance (from the PPV) is incredible (even though they fixed Keith's flub for the FOUR FLICKS release). They should've used that performance for LICKS LIVE instead of the wonky one from Twickenham.

Date: September 21, 2016 17:26

HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet
stanlove
TheBlockbuster

How can anyone with ears think ANYTHING from Ya Ya's is weak or skip-worthy? That album is classic and legendary for a reason!

Because they... here's an example: they can't tell the difference between Wyman and Jones.

It's that kind of 'fan' that can skip songs on GYYYO!.

Date: September 21, 2016 17:28

GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet
stanlove
TheBlockbuster

Because they... here's an example: they can't tell the difference between Wyman and Jones.

It's that kind of 'fan' that can skip songs on GYYYO!.

Yeah, sad but true; a sad state of affairs if someone is not moved by the power and majesty that is Ya Ya's.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 21, 2016 17:33

Love this album.
Free, spontaneous, the band becoming the Stones that we know, but also professionals at work perfecting their craft.

Date: September 21, 2016 17:34

Weird that some hear not very good versions of some of the new songs yet Midnight Rambler and Love In Vain are not mentioned.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 21, 2016 17:40

HonkeyTonkFlash
S.T.P
LeonidP
S.T.P

How can anyone say the overdubs are awful? No one even knew about them until many years after the release. At the time it just sounded like a very good live recording. Nothing sounds "fake."

Ok,but I was born in the late 70's, and didn't buy Ya Yas before 1990 after whatcing Gimme Shelter. To me it sounded fake/ not the real deal, ie. SFM/JJF

Date: September 21, 2016 17:43

Huh. Millennials.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2016 18:14

HonkeyTonkFlash
S.T.P
LeonidP
S.T.P

Eggzactly, he (she?) missed the point. Read somewhere that there are overdubs so now uses that as a reason to bash this wonderfully sounding album.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home