Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 19
LIVE ALBUM TALK: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Date: November 27, 2015 10:44

GET YER YA-YA'S OUT:

Label: Decca & London Records
U.K. release date: September 4, 1970
U.S. release date: September 26, 1970

Track list:
Jumpin' Jack Flash New York City, November 27, 1969 1st live vers.
Carol New York City, November 28, 1969 1st live vers.
Stray Cat Blues New York City, November 28, 1969 1st live vers.
Love in Vain Baltimore, November 26, 1969 1st live vers.
Midnight Rambler New York City, November 28, 1969 1st live vers.
Sympathy for the Devil New York City, November 28, 1969 1st live vers.
Live with Me New York City, November 28, 1969 1st live vers.
Little Queenie New York City, November 28, 1969 1st live vers. Song No. 141
Honky Tonk Women New York City, November 27, 1969 1st live vers.
Street Fighting Man New York City, November 28, 1969 1st live vers.

The full album with bonus tracks:

[www.youtube.com]

Sources: timeisonourside.com

Bonus Stones tracks (Deluxe version):

Label: ABKCO
Release date: November 3, 2009

Includes the following previously unissued Rolling Stones performances, audio and video (video versions not overdubbed):

Prodigal Son New York City, USA, November 28, 1969 1st live vers.
You Gotta Move New York City, USA, November 28, 1969 2nd live vers.
Under My Thumb New York City, USA, November 27, 1969 3rd live vers.
I'm Free New York City, USA, November 27, 1969 1st live vers.
Satisfaction New York City, USA, November 28, 1969 6th live vers.

Sources: timeisonourside.com

What are your thoughts on this album?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 11:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Get Yer Ya Yas Out
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 10:47

Always ranks as one of the greatest live albums of all time!

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 27, 2015 11:00

Hey, now we're talking Classic Live-albums....together with Johnny Winters 'and..' the best ever...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 27, 2015 11:06

I am not very fond of live albums in general, but this is one of the very few live albums I can always listen to. Absolutely perfect. Highlights: Midnight Rambler and Little Queenie. Oh Carol, Love in Vain and Jumping Jack Flash are very good too. Oh, and of course, those so very different two back-to-back solos in Sympathy For The Devil, it never fails to make me smile.
The only song I don't like so much is Street Fighting Man, but then I am simply not very fond of that song.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 11:09

Can't think of a better live album. In fact, this might be my favorite stones album, period.
It certainly deserves inclusion with BB, LIB, SF, and EOMS as their greatest albums ever.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 27, 2015 11:29

The interesting thing with the bonus tracks is you can now listen to a complete 1969 tour set list with resquencing the track order :

Jumpin' Jack Flash
Carol
Sympathy for the Devil
Stray Cat Blues
Love in Vain
Prodigal Son
You Gotta Move
Under My Thumb
I'm Free
Midnight Rambler
Live with Me
Little Queenie
Satisfaction
Honky Tonk Women
Street Fighting Man

Makes an interesting "alternate" GYYYO.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 11:36

I also like this one and listened to it a thousand times till exhaustion.
I just regret that they didn't choose the "Gimme Shelter" JJF version which is imo much better than the YA YA's version and also Satisfaction is missing.

What else to say ?
to me, Mick Taylor is the high point of this live album, it's like a tribute to him. Just listen to his solo in Sympathy for the devil, Stray cat, Love in vain..
simply gorgeous !

In fact, they're all very good, at their best !
difficult to find another live album that comes close to it.
What a pity there are only 10 tracks !

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 27, 2015 11:37

i did a own alt using soundtracks from gimme shelter & ya ya dvd

and ya ya apple acetate (with a longer midnight rambler)the intro is cut on ya ya.

Date: November 27, 2015 11:39

When I first heard this album it blew me away. Like many, I was so impressed by the wonderful guitar solos when I was younger. It was so inspiring. This was in the mid-80s, and after listening to this album I made a decision: to quit playing the piano, and go over to guitar.

I bought a cheap Les Paul-copy and a 10 watt Roland amp, locked myself into my bedroom and didn't go out before I had SFTD down. Good times - important album smiling smiley

After a while I learned to appreciate the band, the groove and the songs more. That's the album's main strength today, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 11:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 27, 2015 11:43

Wonderful album!
The highlights are... all of them.

Usually you listen to live albums of couple of times when they are new. After that not so often.
You never get tired of ya-ya's. Going back to it all the regularly.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 27, 2015 12:07

This album marks a massive change for the band when you consider it as a follow up for
Got Live if you want it! Here we hear a complete band where all members add their part
to the total sound and from time to time a player gets to shine in the spotlight (I know
Mick Taylor gets a lot of attention, but have you ever heard finer guitar work than
what Keith shows on this album? I haven't).

Compared with the 60s "boyband" on the earlier live album, that made the girls scream
for qualities that have only little relation to their musical abilities, this album
brings us a mature band that can indeed be introduced as the Greatest Rock 'n' Roll band
in the world.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 27, 2015 12:36

Overall my favorite live album and played it to death through the years. This record contains my all time favorite live versions of JJF and SFTD. Midnight Rambler is smoking as well. One day I hope to see/hear a full show official release. That would bake my cake.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 27, 2015 12:52

kowalski
The interesting thing with the bonus tracks is you can now listen to a complete 1969 tour set list with resquencing the track order :

Jumpin' Jack Flash
Carol
Sympathy for the Devil
Stray Cat Blues
Love in Vain
Prodigal Son
You Gotta Move
Under My Thumb
I'm Free
Midnight Rambler
Live with Me
Little Queenie
Satisfaction
Honky Tonk Women
Street Fighting Man

I like that "Prodigal Son" version very much too. The guitar is a bit out of tune, and it all feels very improvised, ad-lib, intimate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 12:52 by matxil.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 27, 2015 13:31

What incredible energy and effortless brilliance. They don't even sound as if they've shifted from 5th gear to overdrive - that came with the 1972 tour - but this tour changed the face of rock'n'roll as a live music force.

Jagger sounds stoned/barely awake during his between song banter but oh how he delivers with every ounce of sleeze he can possibly deliver on masterpieces like Stray Cat Blues, Midnight Rambler, Little Queenie and Carol.

Has Keith ever been better? Arguably in 72 but his economy of sound and his trademark Chuck Berry licks are played to the fore here. If you want to show just how good a player Keith is then look no further than Ya Yas.

And Mick Taylor underlined his credentials as one of the world's best blues guitarist right here, particularly on Love In Vain.

As live albums go there's only The Who Live At Leeds, Bob Dylan's famous Manchester show in 1966 and James Brown At The Apollo 1962 that can possibly touch this fantastic recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 13:33 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 27, 2015 13:45

matxil
kowalski

Jumpin' Jack Flash
Carol
Sympathy for the Devil
Stray Cat Blues
Love in Vain
Prodigal Son
You Gotta Move
Under My Thumb
I'm Free
Midnight Rambler
Live with Me
Little Queenie
Satisfaction
Honky Tonk Women
Street Fighting Man

I like that "Prodigal Son" version very much too. The guitar is a bit out of tune, and it all feels very improvised, ad-lib, intimate.

Suspiciously, it's out of tune on the bonus dvd clip, but not on the bonus cd smiling smiley

Date: November 27, 2015 13:47

Silver Dagger
What incredible energy and effortless brilliance. They don't even sound as if they've shifted from 5th gear to overdrive - that came with the 1972 tour - but this tour changed the face of rock'n'roll as a live music force.

Jagger sounds stoned/barely awake during his between song banter but oh how he delivers with every ounce of sleeze he can possibly deliver on masterpieces like Stray Cat Blues, Midnight Rambler, Little Queenie and Carol.

Has Keith ever been better? Arguably in 72 but his economy of sound and his trademark Chuck Berry licks are played to the fore here. If you want to show just how good a player Keith is then look no further than Ya Yas.

And Mick Taylor underlined his credentials as one of the world's best blues guitarist right here, particularly on Love In Vain.

As live albums go there's only The Who Live At Leeds, Bob Dylan's famous Manchester show in 1966 and James Brown At The Apollo 1962 that can possibly touch this fantastic recording.

You need to buy the Leeds 1982-album, Mike smiling smiley

But Keith is awesome on Ya Yas. Taylor, too.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 27, 2015 13:59

Their best live album without the later download and vault releases which are even better usually. The Stones as raw guitar- and R&B-band. A milestone in the Rock history with defining and essential tracks like MR and LIV. It is disappointing that they didn't release in 2009 a boxset of all New York concerts in the right order in which the songs were played. Often the overdubbing is superfluous. That the Taylor-parts on JJF were edited is a shame, or if MT played no solo on this version they should have chosen a different version on the 69 release.

Date: November 27, 2015 14:43

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

I was at the show and have the download and the vinyl album Dandy.

Date: November 27, 2015 15:12

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

And Keith was on top of his game thumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 27, 2015 15:37

Strange how satisfaction and under my thumb were NOT included...maybe its the way it was.

Date: November 27, 2015 15:41

Eleanor Rigby
Strange how satisfaction and under my thumb were NOT included...maybe its the way it was.

They planned to include them, though. I can't recall why they scrapped the plans of the full album with Ike/Tina, BB King and their full set..

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: November 27, 2015 15:42

Good album. But not as good as Brussels or Hampton.

It sounds a bit.....dated.

I love the versions of Midnight Rambler and Stray Cat Blues.

But I'm not a big fan of Carol or Little Queenie. And I have alwayes prefered The LYL version of SFTD.

Date: November 27, 2015 15:44

Stray Cat Blues and SFTD are amazing on this album...the best you will ever hear from any band!!

Date: November 27, 2015 15:45

Eleanor Rigby
Stray Cat Blues and SFTD are amazing on this album...the best you will ever hear from any band!!

+1 And add Little Queenie and Live With Me as well thumbs up

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: November 27, 2015 15:45

Love Charlie's t-shirt. Oh ya music is pretty good too!!!!!!

Date: November 27, 2015 15:52

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

+1 And add Little Queenie and Live With Me as well thumbs up

True !

I reckon they mucked up..the breakfast show jumping jack is better than the overdubbed album version, as is the street fighting man version u hear on gimmie shelter movie...perfection Stones is annoying

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 27, 2015 15:58

Queenie is No.1. in my World...Rambler second...Tell Me third...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 27, 2015 16:00

I often say the 'top 4' for 'studio' albums but this was right there in the mix. So if I count live albums, this album would make it a 'top 5'! Superb!

Date: November 27, 2015 16:10

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

And Keith was on top of his game thumbs up

Sure he was great but I thought the Stones played too fast on that tour. Prefer the tempo in 69.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 27, 2015 16:17

Silver Dagger
Sure he was great but I thought the Stones played too fast on that tour. Prefer the tempo in 69.

Agree completely! Carol on YaYa's is far better than the off the 1st album. And no one loves Beggar's version of Stray Cat Blues more than me ... but amazingly I love the YaYa's version almost as much. Beautiful guitars throughout, and I especially love the 'tempo'!

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home