Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Plundered My Soul
Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: December 17, 2015 21:56

What next, touch up the Mona Lisa, add a few figures to The Last Supper?

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 17, 2015 22:35

I hope Turner gets enough air when he reads this.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 17, 2015 23:15

gimmelittledrink

Who knows if the Mona Lisa on display is a copy or the real thing? Besides masterpiece paintings are regularly touched up if they show signs of damage.

Let's just call Plundered My Soul a "restoration" and be done with it. Whatever it was, it was better than getting nothing at all, imo.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 18, 2015 11:28

MonkeyMan2000

And not having breakfast.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 18, 2015 15:32

Turner68
HMS
One Hit
Winning Ugly
Harlem Shuffle
DW
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

I almost choked on my morning scrambled eggs when I read "winning ugly".

Reality is not part of HMS' life. Nor is being a serious die hard true Stones fan.

Date: December 18, 2015 15:33

HMS
You´ve been listening to DW the last time in 1986? You have to give it a try at least every month.

When something sucks there is no "give it a try at least every month". It's locked away. I've kept FOUR TRACKS from it on my computer as an EP with a different cover.

Date: December 18, 2015 15:35

HMS
I have listened to DW thousands of times over the years but never noticed that Sleep Tonight steals from Coming Down Again.

That's because you're busy listening to, as Keith puts it, shit.

HMS
Even if it´s true that DW is their most unknown/unheard album, there is still a chance that next generations will recognize it as the true gem that it is.

There is not "if". It is true. No "next generations will recognize it" at all - and that is very fortunate.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 17:23

matxil
MonkeyMan2000

And not having breakfast.

cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2015 17:51

gimmelittledrink

Plundered was never a masterpiece in the first place - it was an unfinished leftover sketch nearly 40 years old. but your point is still valid. I don't know many (or any) artists* who take unfinished work that old and try to finish it. It's a thing of the past that doesn't reflect anything current or contemporary regarding the artists thoughts - be it style, medium, etc. It goes against the creative drive which is to come up with something new and original - basically to move forward. Sure it worked for Tattoo You, but those unfinished songs were less than 10 years old - still kind of 'fresh'.
Doctoring up Plundered can be seen as a desperate act from an artist who has 'writers block' or whose originality has completely dried up.

*The Beatles did it with Free as a Bird and Real Love only because the chief singer/songwriter was deceased.
The results were interesting, but a far cry from their best work.

Date: December 18, 2015 17:53

Hairball
gimmelittledrink

Plundered was never a masterpiece in the first place - it was an unfinished leftover sketch nearly 40 years old. but your point is still valid. I don't know many (or any) artists* who take unfinished work that old and try to finish it. It's a thing of the past that doesn't reflect anything current or contemporary regarding the artists thoughts - be it style, medium, etc. It goes against the creative drive which is to come up with something new and original - basically to move forward. Sure it worked for Tattoo You, but those unfinished songs were less than 10 years old - still kind of 'fresh'.
Doctoring up Plundered can be seen as a desperate act from an artist who has 'writers block' or whose originality has completely dried up.

*The Beatles did it with Free as a Bird and Real Love only because the chief singer/songwriter was deceased.

Half of them were only a year old, from the ER sessions.

Date: December 18, 2015 17:56

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
gimmelittledrink

Well yes - thanks, I was writing in haste to make the point which you made better for me. thumbs up
I know it's been talked about recently, but what was the oldest outtake that was finished for Tattoo You...something from the GHS sessions? Was it Tops?

Date: December 18, 2015 17:59

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
gimmelittledrink

Well yes - thanks, I was writing in haste to make the point which you made better for me. thumbs up
I know it's been talked about recently, but what was the oldest outtake that was finished for Tattoo You...something from the GHS sessions? Was it Tops?

They started working on both Waiting On A Friend and Tops in November 1972, according to timeisonourside.com.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:01

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
gimmelittledrink

There's a rumor that "worried about you" was written in 1967 out of heartfelt concern for Bill Wyman, who had been acting oddly while he was working on "in
Another land" and was struggling with the lead vocal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-19 01:14 by Turner68.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 22:56

Hairball
gimmelittledrink

Bruce Springsteen has done much the same thing with the outtakes from Darkness and the River. Part of the calculus, as with Jagger, must be that listeners will be more interested than in a brand new album.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 19, 2015 05:08

TeddyB1018
Hairball
gimmelittledrink

Bruce Springsteen has done much the same thing with the outtakes from Darkness and the River. Part of the calculus, as with Jagger, must be that listeners will be more interested than in a brand new album.

We might be over thinking the whole process really. My guess is that artists like Mick and Springsteen just like to work with what they consider the best material they have available at the time. Although production methods and tastes may have changed considerably over the years much of the basic tracks that make a good rock song are largely the same. If they had better ideas to work with at the time I suspect they would have. There might be a feeling involved of not wanting anything truly good that wasn't fully developed for whatever reason just slip away never to be heard again.

Date: December 19, 2015 05:23

Naturalust
TeddyB1018
Hairball
gimmelittledrink

We might be over thinking the whole process really. My guess is that artists like Mick and Springsteen just like to work with what they consider the best material they have available at the time. Although production methods and tastes may have changed considerably over the years much of the basic tracks that make a good rock song are largely the same. If they had better ideas to work with at the time I suspect they would have. There might be a feeling involved of not wanting anything truly good that wasn't fully developed for whatever reason just slip away never to be heard again.

Well the main reason Plundered was resurrected was because it was to be part of the Exile re-issue from that particular era rather than the best material he had available at the time
I imagine that if Mick wanted to put out something 'truly good that wasn't fully developed' (in his mind) he'd probably look no further than leftover junk from his solo albums or Superheavy and force it into becoming a Stones tune. There's even a possibility that some of his stockpile of new demos are nothing more than that - leftover half-baked ideas that didn't make it onto Lets Work or whatever.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home